Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

An After Life? Options · View
rxtales
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:25:45 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 11/28/2008
Posts: 2,589
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
I seem to remember us discussing this at some point, but then did a forum search and couldn't find anything. So maybe we haven't.

I was looking at the capital punishment thread and some people have said that they see life in prison as being a worse form of punishment than the death penalty, and that it the DP would be more of a relief.

I guess that would depend what happens to you after you die. Are you going to some place where you will be judged and then possibly punished? Or does nothing happen?

I was also thinking about it after reading the euthanasia thread. Do you think there is something to fear in the next life? Is there a next life?

Just wondering your thoughts :)
rxtales
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:54:55 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 11/28/2008
Posts: 2,589
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Sorry - didn't mean to post two of these. I blame my bad internet connection :)
Playmale
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:22:55 AM

Rank: Smiley Guru

Joined: 7/16/2008
Posts: 551
Location: United States
I recently read a book called Journey of Souls. It is an accounting of a hypnotherapist who was doing past life regressions with people and realized that his subjects had memories in between lives. So he started doing investigations and chronicled experiences and insights.

It's an awesome read and describes a real order and kind of structure to the universe. It matches the description of the afterlife given by those who have had "Near Death Experiences" or been clinically dead and rescuissitated, at least through the glimpse of it they have had.

The descriptions seem to make sense to me. There are explainations of psychic phenomina that make sense, there are other examples and phenomena that fit with this theory. It kind of says we come here to experience certian things, and we select the key events in our lives. That kind of changes the whole responsibility, revenge, victim, perspective of many of the major experiences in our lives.

One of the common features is the life review. We see the whole of our life, every detail, instantaneously. It is not to judge, except by ourself, and we are judging how we grew, or reacted in situations.

Death is a release from the physical body we are inhabiting, and a return to the spirit that is our true self.

I like it. we don't need to crucify anyone over it. We don't need to have a crusade to convince people. We just need to experience the life we have chosen and grow from it.






Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:44:03 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
Playmale wrote:

One of the common features is the life review. We see the whole of our life, every detail, instantaneously. It is not to judge, except by ourself, and we are judging how we grew, or reacted in situations.

Death is a release from the physical body we are inhabiting, and a return to the spirit that is our true self.

I like it. we don't need to crucify anyone over it. We don't need to have a crusade to convince people. We just need to experience the life we have chosen and grow from it.


Very well stated Playmale. I very much agree with your statement.

Having done a few regressions myself, I very much believe in an After Life, but not one in the case of hell / heaven / judgment / forever. The lesson(s) learned or not learned during this lifetime shape the next lifetime.

But like both the other threads (Death Penalty and Euthanasia threads) this is a topic that is so personal in opinion based on upbringing, experiences and moral beliefs.

One can only hope that with discussions such as these, that they invoke thought and research; resulting in tolerance of others' opinion.

Van



Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:10:13 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
As an Atheist, I simply believe that when we die, we die... I don't believe in reincarnation, judgement nor afterlife...

I believe our brain and our bodies simply shut down and rot away.. Morbid? No ... Fact? Yes

I also believe, as in religion, the thought of the afterlife is a simple way for people to cope or to come to terms with their death.


VanGogh wrote:
One can only hope that with discussions such as these, that they invoke thought and research; resulting in tolerance of others' opinion.

Please don't take this to be offensive, as it is just my view, but as this is an adult site and therefore we are all adults, I really don't think that we need constant reminders that we need to behave ourselves....
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:45:28 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 6,105
Location: California
I also believe that nothing happens after death. We just become dead meat. They put us in the ground and that's that.



Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:06:15 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
i concur as a fellow atheist that there is no heaven and hell and that they are made up just as was stated to help us cope with our fear of death. however, i do believe our energy, some might call it a soul, is released back into the universe to be shared again. i think that we recognize it too as we live like when we meet someone and feel as if we have "known them forever" theres a common energy between the two people that the subconscious recognizes. those are the people we call soul mates generally. there are so many theories, religions, points of view and quite frankly i dont think anyone has gotten it quite right and there is so much we dont understand but ill be damned if ill believe there is some white bearded man up in the sky directing us all. In fact, lets bring back the Greek gods...now those are gods you can party with! ;) anyway, its just my 2 cents
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:55:57 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,778
Location: Your dirty fantasy
LittleMissBitch wrote:
i concur as a fellow atheist that there is no heaven and hell and that they are made up just as was stated to help us cope with our fear of death. however, i do believe our energy, some might call it a soul, is released back into the universe to be shared again. i think that we recognize it too as we live like when we meet someone and feel as if we have "known them forever" theres a common energy between the two people that the subconscious recognizes. those are the people we call soul mates generally. there are so many theories, religions, points of view and quite frankly i dont think anyone has gotten it quite right and there is so much we dont understand but ill be damned if ill believe there is some white bearded man up in the sky directing us all. In fact, lets bring back the Greek gods...now those are gods you can party with! ;) anyway, its just my 2 cents


I absolutely agree with everything you've said. I do believe that there is something about the law "energy cannot be created or destroyed", and I do believe that the energy that our consciousness is made up of, does go somewhere, but I suspect this is more of an abstract thing... I'm still undecided on that, but open to possible theories.

I do not believe in organized religions, or gods, and so I don't believe that we go to a tangible place as an intact soul to suffer, contemplate or celebrate based on our earthly life experiences.

sundancekid
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:28:37 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
Have you ever been so happy and I mean happy that time stands still, literally you want to live the moment forever?? I believe it is better to believe than not to believe, governments love the people to believe in religeon because you are controlled, E.G the ten commandments, though shall not kill, covort with thy neighbours wife, you are constrained by morality which in turn means you are controlled.

There are things out there in the world that cannot be explained, in truth I dont want an explanation, I want to believe there is more after death, hell is on earth and there is nothing to fear from the dead, I want to know there is grace and I want to achieve grace in living or dying.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:48:25 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
sundancekid wrote:
Have you ever been so happy and I mean happy that time stands still, literally you want to live the moment forever??

There are things out there in the world that cannot be explained, in truth I dont want an explanation, I want to believe there is more after death, hell is on earth and there is nothing to fear from the dead, I want to know there is grace and I want to achieve grace in living or dying.


wonderfully written ... "Achieve grace in living or dying."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:59:39 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,226
Location: United States
I have personally experienced situations that just can't be explained without including SOME form of afterlife in the explanation. I DO believe in an afterlife, and I DO believe in God. I DO believe that He sent part of himself to live on Earth, to experience the trials and tribulations that we go through first-hand, instead of just watching them from afar, or eavesdropping in on us as WE live through them. My belief in this is as unshakable as my belief in gravity or the color blue. I don't pretend to have any answers as to WHY things are the way they are, or whether the things I believe in are the ONLY way things are done - I don't have those answers. In the end, I may be flat-out wrong, and as my brain rots into the soil in which it's buried my "soul" may dissipate back into the maelstrom of Universal Chaos... but if I AM wrong, I'll never know it.

Whether my beliefs turn out to be true or just self-aggrandizing vanities, I still believe what I believe.
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:50:04 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 798
Afterlife? Nope.

This is a throwback to the mythology of a bygone era. In reality the idea of an afterlife was a construct used by those in power to placate the masses in order to make them endure the shittiness of their life by falsely promising them "something better" after they die.

I prefer to enjoy THIS LIFE. If you want to hope for some eternal paradise after death, based on some out-dated fairy tale, go ahead though. The idea of an afterlife is the product of human imagination with absolutely no basis or use other that to provide ourselves with false confidence and prevent us from living our lives to the fullest.

glasses8
sundancekid
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 3:53:50 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
DamonX wrote:
Afterlife? Nope.

This is a throwback to the mythology of a bygone era. In reality the idea of an afterlife was a construct used by those in power to placate the masses in order to make them endure the shittiness of their life by falsely promising them "something better" after they die.

I prefer to enjoy THIS LIFE. If you want to hope for some eternal paradise after death, based on some out-dated fairy tale, go ahead though. The idea of an afterlife is the product of human imagination with absolutely no basis or use other that to provide ourselves with false confidence and prevent us from living our lives to the fullest.

glasses8


This is YOUR opinion, this is not "fact" so you really dont know either way. The myans/monks in a temple somewhere are using GOLDEN RINGS and are still to this very day counting the end of days, when the last golden ring reaches the end and is stacked they believe the end of the world will begin, we ALL have the luxury to sit on our computers giving our opinion, imagine the poor bastard who believes in the end of the world when the last ring is set and he is the one to set it, imagine the responsibility?? he wants to believe there is a higher purpose after death because his life is dedicated to his belief, whether the end of days happen or not when the last ring is set is immerterial, the fact that this is fact and is happening as we talk means his life is dedicated and unselfish, you have the luxury to dismiss he doesnt. If I were him I would want an after life, whether an afterlife exists or not....
Jillicious
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 9:38:07 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,293
Loads of speculation in this thread.

So let me add my two cents because I think mine will be a bit different than the average. Although still quite traditional.

I do believe in an afterlife. I also believe that we get what we deserve or expect. We will end up in a state of existence in which we are comfortable. If you believe that you will run around praising Jesus for all eternity then that is what you will get, because that is what you expect.
Whenever someone asks me if I'm 'saved' I have to ask them what I should be saved from. It always comes down to eternal damnation. Am I 'saved' from that? I think its a silly question. Damnation is quite accurately a stopping of progression. No longer being able to progress in any way, spiritually, emotionally, or physically. So wouldn't just going to heaven to praise the lord for eternity to be a form of damnation? To have your only purpose become a praise pot to fill the ego of our God? It is silly to call God perfect and then assume he is so egotistical that he wants us to praise him nonstop for all of eternity.

If we accept that eternity is really infinite and knowledge is finite, another speculation, then we can also acknowledge that given enough time, of eternity, we could learn all there is to know. We could be all knowing. And knowledge is power. As omnipotent beings we would have the capability of progressing in our own way, having our own kingdom. CS Lewis basically said in Mere Christianity that we have the potential to become gods and goddesses ourselves. I literally believe that we, as children of God, have the ability to become like our father, a god.

So yes, call me crazy. A lot of other christians I know think I'm nuts for thinking we could be like our father who art in heaven. Then atheists think I'm hypocritical for giving into my one vice by hanging out on a erotic sex site. But I promise I won't judge you.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
DamonX
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 10:12:41 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 798
sundancekid wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Afterlife? Nope.

This is a throwback to the mythology of a bygone era. In reality the idea of an afterlife was a construct used by those in power to placate the masses in order to make them endure the shittiness of their life by falsely promising them "something better" after they die.

I prefer to enjoy THIS LIFE. If you want to hope for some eternal paradise after death, based on some out-dated fairy tale, go ahead though. The idea of an afterlife is the product of human imagination with absolutely no basis or use other that to provide ourselves with false confidence and prevent us from living our lives to the fullest.

glasses8


This is YOUR opinion, this is not "fact" so you really dont know either way. The myans/monks in a temple somewhere are using GOLDEN RINGS and are still to this very day counting the end of days, when the last golden ring reaches the end and is stacked they believe the end of the world will begin, we ALL have the luxury to sit on our computers giving our opinion, imagine the poor bastard who believes in the end of the world when the last ring is set and he is the one to set it, imagine the responsibility?? he wants to believe there is a higher purpose after death because his life is dedicated to his belief, whether the end of days happen or not when the last ring is set is immerterial, the fact that this is fact and is happening as we talk means his life is dedicated and unselfish, you have the luxury to dismiss he doesnt. If I were him I would want an after life, whether an afterlife exists or not....


Haha, I think someone has been watching too many movies lately....

I'm not really following your reasoning though. Of course if someone had dedicated (or wasted) their life with something so ridiculous, they would hope for an afterlife. I would as well. That's why I would never choose to devote my life to something so worthless. If you want to hope for an afterlife...go ahead. But if you dedicate your life to the concept of one...well that's another thing. Ignorance is not bliss. Living a life free of superstition is.
Playmale
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 11:28:01 PM

Rank: Smiley Guru

Joined: 7/16/2008
Posts: 551
Location: United States
sundancekid wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Afterlife? Nope.
I prefer to enjoy THIS LIFE.
glasses8


This is YOUR opinion, this is not "fact" so you really dont know either way.


That is what was asked for, our opinions.

sundancekid wrote:
The myans/monks in a temple somewhere are using GOLDEN RINGS and are still to this very day counting the end of days, when the last golden ring reaches the end and is stacked they believe the end of the world will begin, we ALL have the luxury to sit on our computers giving our opinion, imagine the poor bastard who believes in the end of the world when the last ring is set and he is the one to set it, imagine the responsibility?? he wants to believe there is a higher purpose after death because his life is dedicated to his belief, whether the end of days happen or not when the last ring is set is immerterial, the fact that this is fact and is happening as we talk means his life is dedicated and unselfish, you have the luxury to dismiss he doesnt. If I were him I would want an after life, whether an afterlife exists or not....


This sounds just like Arthur C. Clarke's "The Nine Billion Names of God"

sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:01:22 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
DamonX wrote:
sundancekid wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Afterlife? Nope.

This is a throwback to the mythology of a bygone era. In reality the idea of an afterlife was a construct used by those in power to placate the masses in order to make them endure the shittiness of their life by falsely promising them "something better" after they die.

I prefer to enjoy THIS LIFE. If you want to hope for some eternal paradise after death, based on some out-dated fairy tale, go ahead though. The idea of an afterlife is the product of human imagination with absolutely no basis or use other that to provide ourselves with false confidence and prevent us from living our lives to the fullest.

glasses8


This is YOUR opinion, this is not "fact" so you really dont know either way. The myans/monks in a temple somewhere are using GOLDEN RINGS and are still to this very day counting the end of days, when the last golden ring reaches the end and is stacked they believe the end of the world will begin, we ALL have the luxury to sit on our computers giving our opinion, imagine the poor bastard who believes in the end of the world when the last ring is set and he is the one to set it, imagine the responsibility?? he wants to believe there is a higher purpose after death because his life is dedicated to his belief, whether the end of days happen or not when the last ring is set is immerterial, the fact that this is fact and is happening as we talk means his life is dedicated and unselfish, you have the luxury to dismiss he doesnt. If I were him I would want an after life, whether an afterlife exists or not....


Haha, I think someone has been watching too many movies lately....

I'm not really following your reasoning though. Of course if someone had dedicated (or wasted) their life with something so ridiculous, they would hope for an afterlife. I would as well. That's why I would never choose to devote my life to something so worthless. If you want to hope for an afterlife...go ahead. But if you dedicate your life to the concept of one...well that's another thing. Ignorance is not bliss. Living a life free of superstition is.


This is NOT too much T.V this is fact....Damon what you do not understand is this, YOU only know what YOU know E.G learning to read and write by the people who taught you, E.G your English Teacher, Monks only know what they know because they have also been taught from an early age! Your arrogance goes far beyond your understanding (Monks are not wasting there life) because that is there life! that is all they know. They do not consider there life worthless nor do they consider your life worthless.
I want you too see there is a bigger picture, just because you have the luxury to give a cast iron (it's pointless attitude) it's not pointless to other people and there always 2 sides to the coin.
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:18:49 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
Playmale wrote:
sundancekid wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Afterlife? Nope.
I prefer to enjoy THIS LIFE.
glasses8


This is YOUR opinion, this is not "fact" so you really dont know either way.


That is what was asked for, our opinions.

sundancekid wrote:
The myans/monks in a temple somewhere are using GOLDEN RINGS and are still to this very day counting the end of days, when the last golden ring reaches the end and is stacked they believe the end of the world will begin, we ALL have the luxury to sit on our computers giving our opinion, imagine the poor bastard who believes in the end of the world when the last ring is set and he is the one to set it, imagine the responsibility?? he wants to believe there is a higher purpose after death because his life is dedicated to his belief, whether the end of days happen or not when the last ring is set is immerterial, the fact that this is fact and is happening as we talk means his life is dedicated and unselfish, you have the luxury to dismiss he doesnt. If I were him I would want an after life, whether an afterlife exists or not....


This sounds just like Arthur C. Clarke's "The Nine Billion Names of God"



Playmale dont be a band wagon jumper read what he is actually saying, it's a matter of factly view he is giving, of course it's all opinion, I'm just stating it's opinion not fact!! because nobody knows.
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:29:01 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
Jillicious wrote:
Loads of speculation in this thread.

So let me add my two cents because I think mine will be a bit different than the average. Although still quite traditional.

I do believe in an afterlife. I also believe that we get what we deserve or expect. We will end up in a state of existence in which we are comfortable. If you believe that you will run around praising Jesus for all eternity then that is what you will get, because that is what you expect.
Whenever someone asks me if I'm 'saved' I have to ask them what I should be saved from. It always comes down to eternal damnation. Am I 'saved' from that? I think its a silly question. Damnation is quite accurately a stopping of progression. No longer being able to progress in any way, spiritually, emotionally, or physically. So wouldn't just going to heaven to praise the lord for eternity to be a form of damnation? To have your only purpose become a praise pot to fill the ego of our God? It is silly to call God perfect and then assume he is so egotistical that he wants us to praise him nonstop for all of eternity.

If we accept that eternity is really infinite and knowledge is finite, another speculation, then we can also acknowledge that given enough time, of eternity, we could learn all there is to know. We could be all knowing. And knowledge is power. As omnipotent beings we would have the capability of progressing in our own way, having our own kingdom. CS Lewis basically said in Mere Christianity that we have the potential to become gods and goddesses ourselves. I literally believe that we, as children of God, have the ability to become like our father, a god.

So yes, call me crazy. A lot of other christians I know think I'm nuts for thinking we could be like our father who art in heaven. Then atheists think I'm hypocritical for giving into my one vice by hanging out on a erotic sex site. But I promise I won't judge you.


I think atheists are the biggest hypocrites of all.....it's an easy way out saying I dnt conform, but they do conform because they pay taxes and live the law's we live, there is no such thing as a true atheist just people who love to argue against rather than actually adding anything of value.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:05:09 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
sundancekid wrote:

I think atheists are the biggest hypocrites of all.....it's an easy way out saying I dnt conform, but they do conform because they pay taxes and live the law's we live, there is no such thing as a true atheist just people who love to argue against rather than actually adding anything of value.


I LOVE being a hypocrite... Makes me feel all warm and tingly inside... evil4

I am a atheist because I simply don't believe in a higher being. I don't believe there was a jesus and I don't believe in faith or fate. I think religion is the biggest con job ever created... Just as the fantasy of the afterlife.

I DO believe in life and what life deals you... We make and choose our own paths... Yes, there may be a few speed bumps along the way to steer us off in another direction, but it's not some deity's doing...

I just believe in living in the NOW... not what may be... In conversations that I have had in the past with friends regarding the afterlife... I have always asked "But, what if you are wrong and you have wasted your whole life living a lie?" I have never gotten a reply...

There is a difference to obeying the law to following sheep......

Note: This is not a flame post... it is MY opinion....

sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:14:44 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
SweetBitch wrote:
sundancekid wrote:

I think atheists are the biggest hypocrites of all.....it's an easy way out saying I dnt conform, but they do conform because they pay taxes and live the law's we live, there is no such thing as a true atheist just people who love to argue against rather than actually adding anything of value.


I LOVE being a hypocrite... Makes me feel all warm and tingly inside... evil4

I am a atheist because I simply don't believe in a higher being. I don't believe there was a jesus and I don't believe in faith or fate. I think religion is the biggest con job ever created... Just as the fantasy of the afterlife.

I DO believe in life and what life deals you... We make and choose our own paths... Yes, there may be a few speed bumps along the way to steer us off in another direction, but it's not some deity's doing...

I just believe in living in the NOW... not what may be... In conversations that I have had in the past with friends regarding the afterlife... I have always asked "But, what if you are wrong and you have wasted your whole life living a lie?" I have never gotten a reply...

There is a difference to obeying the law to following sheep......


SweetBitch, dont mis-understand, I do not follow people like sheep, and in truth, there are a thousand other debates going on like this, im just offering a difference in opinion, nothing more nothing less, it get's peoples mind's working, if they want to argue and call me names so be it, they have lost the debate forthwith because they wont get a reply, the whole point of a debate is to put your arguement forward, I respect your opinion as much as i'm giving mine. Good reply if you truely believe in what your saying, never lack the courage of your conviction.


Guest
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:20:41 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
sundancekid wrote:

SweetBitch, dont mis-understand, I do not follow people like sheep, and in truth, there are a thousand other debates going on like this, im just offering a difference in opinion, nothing more nothing less, it get's peoples mind's working, if they want to argue and call me names so be it, they have lost the debate forthwith because they wont get a reply, the whole point of a debate is to put your arguement forward, I respect your opinion as much as i'm giving mine. Good reply if you truely believe in what your saying, never lack the courage of your conviction.


And I respect yours and do love reading your opinion... No harm done what-so-ever. flower

I do believe in what I write.. Have seen too much wrong in this world not to.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:51:37 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
atheists are hypocrites? its and easy out? um, what?

first, being an atheist is not a way of not conforming, choosing to be an atheist can be a hard choice in fact. death IS scary and we are left with out the comfort of a "god" and his promise of consciousness in the afterlife, whether it be in heaven or hell. atheism in MY opinion is an evolution of humanity. kind of like finally giving up the belief of Santa. and yes i do liken the two.

secondly, there IS such a thing as a true atheist as i am one. and not for the sake to be contrary. and we add nothing of value? how is beating youf bible adding value? how is insisting that i will burn for eternity because i dont conform to societies more common beliefs adding value? there was a time that the entire world believed the planet was flat, all except a few people. and the entire planet was wrong. like plato, the atheist is a gadfly for society. we bite you in the ass and say, hey, how about pulling your head out of your narrow minded view and look at it a different way.

but of course this is just MY opinion. but like damon, im arrogant enough to believe its fact. no, i dont "know" but neither did columbus did he? but what i DO know that if there is a god it sure as heck is NOTHING like any religion portrays.
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:47:11 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
LittleMissBitch wrote:
atheists are hypocrites? its and easy out? um, what?

first, being an atheist is not a way of not conforming, choosing to be an atheist can be a hard choice in fact. death IS scary and we are left with out the comfort of a "god" and his promise of consciousness in the afterlife, whether it be in heaven or hell. atheism in MY opinion is an evolution of humanity. kind of like finally giving up the belief of Santa. and yes i do liken the two.

secondly, there IS such a thing as a true atheist as i am one. and not for the sake to be contrary. and we add nothing of value? how is beating youf bible adding value? how is insisting that i will burn for eternity because i dont conform to societies more common beliefs adding value? there was a time that the entire world believed the planet was flat, all except a few people. and the entire planet was wrong. like plato, the atheist is a gadfly for society. we bite you in the ass and say, hey, how about pulling your head out of your narrow minded view and look at it a different way.

but of course this is just MY opinion. but like damon, im arrogant enough to believe its fact. no, i dont "know" but neither did columbus did he? but what i DO know that if there is a god it sure as heck is NOTHING like any religion portrays.


LittleMissBitch

I have no issue with anyone I am simply opening up the arena if you like, it's an opinion I dnt stand by it, because I am open minded.

If we all just agree?? what's the point of the thread?? it would be like any other thread, we need a lot of views and it keeps the discussion going because more people are entering like yourself, it's not to wind people up, it's for a couple of reasons im doing what im doing, 1) I get to know you and your views and 2) The clowns will come out they always do, so I will know who to avoid.

I am not bible bashing anyone, and for your information you should really catch up on your history if you wish to believe columbus did discover america, then you will also be wrong! American history is wrong in a lot of things, america was discovered a long time before columbus, and columbus died before he even reached the americas! his lowely servent who recieves no credit actually took site upon the americas. But it was discovered before either of these people ventured anywhere.

NOTE: WIKI was not my source lol
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:25:46 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 694,105
sundancekid wrote:
LittleMissBitch wrote:
atheists are hypocrites? its and easy out? um, what?

first, being an atheist is not a way of not conforming, choosing to be an atheist can be a hard choice in fact. death IS scary and we are left with out the comfort of a "god" and his promise of consciousness in the afterlife, whether it be in heaven or hell. atheism in MY opinion is an evolution of humanity. kind of like finally giving up the belief of Santa. and yes i do liken the two.

secondly, there IS such a thing as a true atheist as i am one. and not for the sake to be contrary. and we add nothing of value? how is beating youf bible adding value? how is insisting that i will burn for eternity because i dont conform to societies more common beliefs adding value? there was a time that the entire world believed the planet was flat, all except a few people. and the entire planet was wrong. like plato, the atheist is a gadfly for society. we bite you in the ass and say, hey, how about pulling your head out of your narrow minded view and look at it a different way.

but of course this is just MY opinion. but like damon, im arrogant enough to believe its fact. no, i dont "know" but neither did columbus did he? but what i DO know that if there is a god it sure as heck is NOTHING like any religion portrays.


LittleMissBitch



I have no issue with anyone I am simply opening up the arena if you like, it's an opinion I dnt stand by it, because I am open minded.

If we all just agree?? what's the point of the thread?? it would be like any other thread, we need a lot of views and it keeps the discussion going because more people are entering like yourself, it's not to wind people up, it's for a couple of reasons im doing what im doing, 1) I get to know you and your views and 2) The clowns will come out they always do, so I will know who to avoid.

I am not bible bashing anyone, and for your information you should really catch up on your history if you wish to believe columbus did discover america, then you will also be wrong! American history is wrong in a lot of things, america was discovered a long time before columbus, and columbus died before he even reached the americas! his lowely servent who recieves no credit actually took site upon the americas. But it was discovered before either of these people ventured anywhere.



excuse me sundancekid but i dont believe anywhere in my previous post did i claim columbus discovered america. perhaps you should read it again. i did say that he was one of the few that believed the planet was round when so few at the time did. did he "know" it to be true? he did not. but he took his opinion as fact and moved forward with it. im sorry you missed that point. perhaps its clearer now?

of course we should not all agree..where's the fun in that? but you, sir, called me a hypocrite and discounted my view and frivolous and flighty, saying even that i do not exist. in fact, its religion that is hypocritical (but notice this is the first time ive said that so as to be careful not to offend). One moment religion preaches love, the next it is having us killing others that dont subscribe to their particular party line. and that IS fact and not conjecture. i dont recall hearing of any atheists that killed anyone for believing in god.

truth is, i believe god is an important part of our society. geologically speaking humans are very young and we still need our hands held. we still need to have the feeling of a "parent" or "father" guiding and directing us. it makes us feel safe. i am of the opinion that eventually we will grow out of our infancy (especially in america) and just take responsibility for ourselves. we wont need god as an excuse to be have properly or to kill people. one day we wil be confident enough not to say...god made me do it.
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:30:38 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
Good reply! and note my previous post! it is too get you involved! Objective achieved.
Jillicious
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:30:45 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,293
Cool it Sundance. You will get this thread locked. I guess if that is what you are going for. All of us have shared our opinion without trying to attack other's opinions, except you. You will never convince anyone to believe in God, or disbelieve in God, on a forum. So take your opinions and your contentious attitude away and just drop it.

And you should re-read your history. Columbus did make it to the Americas. He did not die. Although other people had visited America, like Eric the Red, Columbus is the one who is credited with it because he is the one who brought it to everyone's attention. Saying that Columbus did not discover America is like saying Einstein did not discover the theory of relativity. In general you are correct. But they were the ones who put all the puzzle pieces together.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Jillicious
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:30:47 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,293
oops, double post.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:39:34 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 22
Jillicious wrote:
Cool it Sundance. You will get this thread locked. I guess if that is what you are going for. All of us have shared our opinion without trying to attack other's opinions, except you. You will never convince anyone to believe in God, or disbelieve in God, on a forum. So take your opinions and your contentious attitude away and just drop it.

And you should re-read your history. Columbus did make it to the Americas. He did not die. Although other people had visited America, like Eric the Red, Columbus is the one who is credited with it because he is the one who brought it to everyone's attention. Saying that Columbus did not discover America is like saying Einstein did not discover the theory of relativity. In general you are correct. But they were the ones who put all the puzzle pieces together.


Err where have you seen me attack anyone?? I have clearly stated, it's a debate?? if this is not clear it should be now?? If people cant handle a debate then maybe they should lock the entire forum everyone is over 18?? NOBODY is here to agree with everyone! and please do not tell me cool it if you dnt like my post then simply ignore it.
I'm simply giving an opposite view?? if people arent allowed to "debate" argue, then whats the point in being allowed to create these threads???
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:08:29 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart
Moderator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,804
sundancekid wrote:

Err where have you seen me attack anyone?? I have clearly stated, it's a debate?? if this is not clear it should be now?? If people cant handle a debate then maybe they should lock the entire forum everyone is over 18?? NOBODY is here to agree with everyone! and please do not tell me cool it if you dnt like my post then simply ignore it.


Whether it's really a debate is debatable.geek The deal is this- we've got a lot of potentially heated topics on forum, and we're being allowed to discuss them because tempers and attacks haven't been happening. Maybe you're not 'attacking' anyone, but being argumentative and trying to provoke responses isn't going to end well for any of us. Those that want to get involved, and there are several of us, will do so on their own.

Otherwise, like Jillicious said, they'll lock the thread, and crack down on controversial topics altogether. If we play nice, the sandbox stays open. glasses8
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.