Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Unions Options · View
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 3:08:36 PM

Quote:
And the only reason I posted the statistic about groundskeeper mortality was to demonstrate that there may be more to these manual labor occupations than you can see from your ivory tower. I can tell from your posts that you've never been a janitor, you've never been a groundskeeper - hell, you've probably never had to actually work a manual labor job in your life. Don't criticize them all as ignorant greedy bastards until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Hmmm, maybe this would be a good time to tell you that I grew up on a farm, and still went back to work there almost every summer during my 12 years of college. Now I know that picking jalpeno peppers in the hot summer sun for 12 hours a day is far removed from the strenuous hardship of pushing a broom for 35 bucks an hour but I actually think I have a pretty good idea about manual labour. And in high school, this was on top of my part time job as a.....wait for it....groundskeeper for the local school district. icon_smile You are right though...I was never a janitor, although my grandpa was for his entire life, as was my dad for a few years when I was a kid.

You shouldn't assume...it makes and ass of...well you know the rest.

But in all seriousness, I think that is getting a bit off the point. I never called all manual workers"ignorant greedy bastards"....I just think that the sharpness of my comments have stoked the fires of confrontation in you. If you look past my seemingly condescending remarks and rhetoric, I think you can see my point.
I think I can see yours...even from way up here in my Ivory Tower. :)
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:10:38 PM

DamonX wrote:

But in all seriousness, I think that is getting a bit off the point. I never called all manual workers"ignorant greedy bastards"....I just think that the sharpness of my comments have stoked the fires of confrontation in you. If you look past my seemingly condescending remarks and rhetoric, I think you can see my point.

To be perfectly honest, I really can't see past your "condescending remarks and rhetoric". As far as I'm concerned, that's all there is to you. All condescension and zero compassion. Are you admitting here that your posts aren't your honest opinion? That they're lies? I never accused you of calling all manual workers "ignorant greedy bastards". Methinks he doth protest too much.

As for your summers working picking jalepenos... that's just too much for this blue-eyed boy to swallow, son. I still don't believe you even know which end of the broom to push.
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:49:56 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I really can't see past your "condescending remarks and rhetoric". As far as I'm concerned, that's all there is to you. All condescension and zero compassion. Are you admitting here that your posts aren't your honest opinion? That they're lies? I never accused you of calling all manual workers "ignorant greedy bastards". Methinks he doth protest too much.
As for your summers working picking jalepenos... that's just too much for this blue-eyed boy to swallow, son. I still don't believe you even know which end of the broom to push.

Quote:
Don't criticize them all as ignorant greedy bastards until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Really? You never said that? Want to take another try.

My posts are my honest opinion. I just feel that my tone (which, in case you haven't noticed is intended to rouse emotion) and the fact that you have touted yourself as the lush appointed anti-Damon crusader will always cause you to dispute anything I say, whether or not you agree or not.

Quote:
As for your summers working picking jalepenos... that's just too much for this blue-eyed boy to swallow, son. I still don't believe you even know which end of the broom to push

Really? I thought you were all about belief without evidence?? icon_smile I figured you would say something like that though. Feel free to contact me via Pm and I can prove myself by enlightening you to the world of jalapeno pepper horticulture. I must admit that I chose the most laborious sounding aspect of my various tasks. Picking peaches or trimming grapevines just don't conjure the same images though.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 9:23:38 PM

DamonX wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:

Quote:
Don't criticize them all as ignorant greedy bastards until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Really? You never said that? Want to take another try.

My posts are my honest opinion. I just feel that my tone (which, in case you haven't noticed is intended to rouse emotion) and the fact that you have touted yourself as the lush appointed anti-Damon crusader will always cause you to dispute anything I say, whether or not you agree or not.

I said, "don't criticize them as" such. I never accused you of calling them that. I'm surprised that someone with your lofty education can't make that distinction.

Quote:
As for your summers working picking jalepenos... that's just too much for this blue-eyed boy to swallow, son. I still don't believe you even know which end of the broom to push

DamonX wrote:
Really? I thought you were all about belief without evidence?? icon_smile I figured you would say something like that though. Feel free to contact me via Pm and I can prove myself by enlightening you to the world of jalapeno pepper horticulture. I must admit that I chose the most laborious sounding aspect of my various tasks. Picking peaches or trimming grapevines just don't conjure the same images though.

I'm sure you could research enough about any of those trades to be convincing at telling the tale. This IS the internet, after all. After what I've seen of your posts here, I take nothing you say as truth. If credibility could be rated on a zero to 100% scale, yours would be in the negative. Don't take it personally. Or do, it's all the same to me.

Edited to add: The "anti-Damon crusader"? laughing8 What rubbish is that? I'm not "anti-Damon" at all. I think you place too much importance on this tiny little sliver of the world, and your place in it. (LOL)
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:50:45 AM

Quote:
I said, "don't criticize them as" such. I never accused you of calling them that. I'm surprised that someone with your lofty education can't make that distinction.

So I was critisizing them as lazy and greedy, not "calling" them lazy and greedy. icon_smile I'll leave this one be, so we don't have to witness you painting yourself into a corner as you tend to do.

Quote:
I'm sure you could research enough about any of those trades to be convincing at telling the tale. This IS the internet, after all. After what I've seen of your posts here, I take nothing you say as truth. If credibility could be rated on a zero to 100% scale, yours would be in the negative. Don't take it personally. Or do, it's all the same to me.

So you believe that I have "lofty education" but not that I grew up on a farm? icon_smile Is it the intelligence of my responses that has convinced you?

In any case, let's stop this back-and-forth bickering. We're getting off topic.

Does anyone else have any views on Unions?
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:45:09 PM

DamonX wrote:
I think unions are necessary when people's lives and health are put in danger, which is rarely the case these days.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.