Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Your Politics: Summed Up Options · View
LadyX
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 9:43:43 AM

I thought we'd try something new here in the Think Tank- and by that I mean: let's try a topic that's just about expression, and free of debate. It could be really cool, or it could flop- either way, here goes:

Sum up, briefly or not, the way you feel about politics. I don't mean whether or not you like politics, I mean- what are your beliefs? How do you think things should be done? Not everything, just the big things, whatever the big things are for you. Maybe you aren't comfortable laying your political and cultural beliefs out in the open- so if that's the case, just share one thing or issue that's important to you, no matter how big or small. The only rule here is that you don't respond to others' beliefs, you only are expressing your own. In a best case scenario, we'll have a lot of different versions of 'the way things should be', and maybe learn a little something in the process.

I'll lead off:

I think one of the most important things that we in the US should do is protect the weakest among us. We shouldn't leave the poor, the old, and the sick to fend for themselves so much, but to me it looks like we prefer to be personally selfish instead of collectively generous. We don't offer health insurance to all citizens, don't protect mothers, or families for that matter, in terms of helping with maternity. It's no wonder divorce rate is so high- it's a tough world to make it in, and our government is not much help. Government should always help, even if it can't solve every problem. If it can't even do that, then it's not worth much in my mind.

Business needs more regulation, not less. They should be able to succeed as much as its owners want it to, but not at the expense of its exploited workers, or the environment, or in the case of these bailouts, the taxpayers. We're all in this together, they should be forced to play nicer than they do.

Government should not be in the business of selective morality. It should be none of their business who marries whom, whether same sex or not, who gets an abortion, what people do at the end of life, and what people do with their bodies- whether we're talking about drugs, sex, or otherwise.

Government should be 'for the people', but as it is, it appears to be 'for the elite and special interests'.

mercianknight
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:59:03 AM

Interesting........

Not even sure if this is a genre or if the words used are real, however, I think I would call myself a conservative socio-capitalist that believes in the mantra that "you are in life where you choose to be."

I acknowledge the 'glass ceilings' but, having broken through many of them on sheer determination alone, I believe that the greater good is served by a government ensuring that the tools (e.g. education, health care, sanitation, opportunity) are available to all. I fervently believe in 'meritocracy'. I do not agree with an all encompassing welfare state that removes the incentive of the able-bodied to work and creates a culture of laziness or entitlement, however, I do believe government should protect the weak, aged or infirm whilst severely punishing those that abuse the system.

I believe in the free market, for goods and labour, and feel that businesses should, in the main, be left to themselves. The market will make or break a business just as its labour force will stay or leave depending on how they feel they are treated. Governments only concern will be to ensure that those same businesses do not evolve into monopolistic unsympathetic monoliths. The only industry that needs strict regulation would be that of Banking - the abusive use of debt is the burden that has shackled the working and middle classes whilst, at the same time, those same institutions have hoarded our savings for their own greedy use.

I do NOT believe in sacrificing a nations heritage and traditions for the pursuit of some obscure politically correct shangri-la. Whilst we should embrace others, and not persecute those of different faiths etc, we should also understand that we should celebrate our own culture, warts and all, so that those coming amongst us will know WHO we are and foster better understanding rather than the opposite. If it means morning prayer in schools, ID cards for all citizens, or a single official language, then so be it.

Whilst I acknowledge the need of politicians for financing, I do not believe there is any place for the type of 'campaign financing & donations' that currently exists. It taints the integrity of democracy inferring that even the most righteous of candidates is somehow beholden to corporate masters and not the people who voted that person in.

I ask that the government simply play their role as overseer for the country/economy/people and ensure that taxation levels provide incentives for growth and development whlist meeting the financial NEEDS of the country. I ask that laws are not discriminatory and are uniformly enforced.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 11:01:46 AM

Great topic, hon! Also with a great potential for demonstrating to Nic how well we can all respect each other, and not let things get inflammatory.

My voter's registration card says, "No Party Affiliation" on it because there's no political party that I agree with enough to tag myself with their label.

I think government should be fiscally responsible, and not spend money it doesn't have. After all, it's not "the government's" money, it's ours. We only lend it to them in order to get things done that need doing, like protection, road building and such. I think that every year, the government should produce a balanced budget, and that budget should allow for spending for whatever emergencies crop up. Spending money that hasn't been earned yet is going to ruin us, eventually.

I think that in any organized unit, whether it's military, police, fire-fighters, or whatever, that unit is only as strong as it's weakest member. The same is true for our country. If you want to make the country stronger as a whole, then you need to make it's weakest citizens stronger. If this means free or low-cost health care for anyone with no insurance, then so be it. If it means free or low-cost housing, then so be it. Even if that housing is an area holding just enough cubic feet of space for a small bunk with a small locker at it's end. At least it would be a shelter from the storm.

I don't think that corporations need "more" regulation. They need wiser regulation. One of the biggest regulatory acts that corporations face is the Occupational Safety and Health Act. OSHA standards make up a manual over a thousand pages thick. There's no way any corporation can even understand all the requirements of that manual, let alone comply with all of them. If you went on a witch hunt at any given company, you could find plenty of violations to gig them with. This doesn't necessarily mean that the company is an unsafe workplace - usually it means that the manual is a horrible manual.

I think that our entire set of statutes needs going over, and things that limit freedom, things that contradict other things, things that are too hard to understand, things that are even too long to be read once before the time alloted to vote on them... these things need to be scrapped or re-written. I think the official language that all statutes should be written in is English, not the legal-ese gobbldy-gook that they're using now. Any law too complex to be read through and understood by the average high school sophomore is a bad law, and should be re-written.

I think that every public employee should be sworn to tell the truth in any and all legal functions. If, at a news conference, a reporter asks an uncomfortable question, then the politician should either have to tell the truth, or say, "No comment." If it can be proved that any public servant lied at any time he was on duty, then he should be jailed for whatever duration is consistent with a guilty perjury verdict.

And I think the entire world should be ruled "clothing optional." (LOL)

Next?
Rembacher
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 11:03:12 AM

Being Canadian, I will use Canada as my focus. Like Xuani, I think it is important to protect the weakest among us. In that sense, I think we do a good job, although there have been more cuts to social services such as welfare, and healthcare coverage. We subsidize university and college education, although as a student from a low income background, I would still like to see that increased as right now it still seems like university is something that is much easier for the student whose parent pays, than the student who juggles school and a part time job and still struggles to graduate without a massive debt. I also agree with more regulation and taxation of businesses. I won't make a blanket statement saying corporations are evil, but it does seem that some executives are so high up that they forget about the people involved and make business decisions they would never make if in their personal life. It is good to have a regulatory body keeping people in line, and making sure that nobody is being abused or taken advantage of.

Internationally, I would like to see Canada reverse its current trend of military spending. Partially due to our involvement in afghanistan we are spending money on attack vehicles, and increasing the size and capabilities of our military. I would like us to go back to being a peacekeeping nation, rather than a warring one. So, this would mean spending more on peacekeepers, and on our police trainers who teach Canadian police tactics to other countries' forces. We should also increase our spending on our disaster relief squad. We have water filtration systems, and people trained to deal with crisis situations, but we could spend more on this, allowing for greater effect, and faster reaction times to disasters such as the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake. Economically, I am for free trade because I believe it, along with improvements in transportation and information technology, are helping to bring the entire world to a similar standard of living. We developed nations keep seeking out undeveloped nations to manufacture for us, and when they become too developed for us, and demand higher wages and higher standards of living, we move on to the next. But the countries we leave, don't stop developing. They take the things we taught them, and expand. Eventually the wealth will be more uniformly distributed, if not among individuals, at least among countries.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 11:44:41 AM

I will probably provide the most succinct answer in the thread. ;-)

My politics, summed up: Socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

~ Rascal

Maggie Rascal
LadySharon
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 11:47:20 AM

You're going to need an entire book for this one on what I think. The basics: protect my rights that are laid out in the US Constitution (I'm not a constitution fundy), what I do with my body is my business and not that of the so-called higher-ups in government, protect the weaker members of our society, regulate the businesses/quit with the bailouts to Corporate America, and don't tell me how to conduct my life.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Latest poem, Longing, is out now!

College Sex:

New story now available!
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 12:20:53 PM

Ok! Ill go! and excellent thread xuani.

let me lead off by saying im utterly ignorant when it comes to politics; i find them exceedingly boring. so i dont talk about them too much as to avoid sounding like an idiot as much as possible. having said that i do have one strong opinion:

i think we should change the way we tax. abolish income tax, the IRS and increase sales tax. that way EVERYBODY pays. The illegal immigrants, kids and all the "under the table" cash only work force. seems to me that is the best way to get everyone to contribute. and maybe it would lessen the freaking about illegal immigrants coming in and "sucking off" our social programs since they will be financially participating on the exact same level as the Americans that suck off our social programs. and then the people that are out there working hard dont have to feel like they are paying for those who arent contributing. oh, and we could decrease social programs too. or at least regulate the rampant abuse of them...is that possible? Everyone plays, everyone pays.

ok...theres my uneducated opinion of what id like to see done.
Jacknife
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:00:51 PM

I think this is a good topic too.

I'll keep mine as brief as possible.

Socially and individually I am probably libertarian. I think you have the right to do whatever you want with your body as long as it doesn't harm someone else. That includes sex, drugs, religion, abortion, freedom of speech and even taking your own life if that is what you wish.

Economically, Pure free markets fail time and time again to the detrement of people. Services simply are not provided that people need without some level of redistribution. I really don't see how people can argue that free markets really work as advertised given the economic history of the world
Government intervention is clearly necessary in providing certain services

My beef has been with government spending is that it is never done at the right time. i want a party to say "when the economy is doing well. we shall reign ourselves in and spend less. In recession is when we shall spend more money" If a party actually said that i would vote for them.

On saying that i'm not really a fan of democracy as a system. Yes it is the best one we have and i can't think of a better one that people will accept, but it allows people to vote for extremists or idiots to govern them. Personally i am all for benovelent dictatorship should one be able to find a good and wise enough man/woman to rule justly.
Rembacher
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:43:02 PM

Jacknife's comments reminded me of a couple of Winston Churchill quotes about democracy. I don't have the specifics on the second quote, but I think they both are cool quotes.

Quote:
Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947
British politician (1874 - 1965)

Quote:
“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”
savanna
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:59:53 PM

There is a saying to keep your friendship never talk about Politics, Religion and Sex. And yet the three mix so well together. I think ooops this is a series I'm going to think for a change. In my county they should cut out paying for every child until he or she is eighteen. They make to many babies never less then five kids in a household. Our tax money should go to better use fix the bumps in the road, oh there is many thing to fix but that one gets me. We going to spent Millions on statues, of presidents long time gone already why? we have them somewhere in a museum go there if you need to see them. We have old people who build this country up who cannot afford a to feed themselves. But our Government have meetings everyday you see more food on the tables then them getting a point across.

I also believe in younger men should try and run to Presidents these old ones do nothing but mess up and always looking for war. Government say they work for the people but so far I have not seen anyone person happy with what have been done or what will happen in the near future.

Well all I can say every country have there own problems. and yet they each want to solve the next country problems.

I vote for a Monica Lewinsky come back.

Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 6:26:58 PM

magnificent1rascal wrote:

~ Rascal

Me too

Remington
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 6:28:47 PM

My politics - I'm a hardcore Conservative. I pledge my allegiance to the Constitution and right now, our "wonderful" Government is shredding it.

We need to do away with these free handouts - welfare, unemployment and any social programs. All it does is enables the lazy people to remain lazy and not get out there to look for a job. We need to seriously crack down on Illegal Immigrants.

I believe in a smaller Government who actually has the Peoples' interests in mind, instead of our current set up who is spending money and trying to pass things regardless of what the People say. Some have seemed to forget that the Government works for us, not the other way around.

I could go on and on, but no one here would like me anymore, unless you feel the same way. evil4

Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story

magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 8:39:14 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
magnificent1rascal wrote:

~ Rascal

Me too

Darn, you beat me at succinctness! d'oh!

~ Rascal

Maggie Rascal
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:38:53 PM

To come up with a doctrine/constitution/plan that fits the current needs of this nation in this time and be the inspiration we once were, and no more finger pointing between one party to another, either way, while resting on the laurels of past accomplishments of "my" party and the mistakes of "the other" party. Take lobbyists and special interest groups out of Washington, down through local municipalities, and give voice back to the people from the deep pockets that have continued to ruin democracy, and finally cuts the chord of the church from our state.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:52:38 AM

I feel that we are all enslaved. Our ancestors were enslaved before us and our descendants yet to be known, will be born to enslavement.

To varying degrees, we perceive what freedom is to ourselves. I have to identify who or which entity is creating and enforcing the enslavement to which I find myself bowing down to or attempting to hide from and not be noticed.

I think there are three main human creations which are actively working together, apart and sometimes against 'each other', to serve their own needs and goals -- and doing so with tools such as genocide, war, conflict, counterfeiting, debt creation, taxation, to further keep the population of slaves...shackled. We are simply too busy 'working' to make the fiat money to purchase the necessities of life (just surviving) to even be aware that we are actually enslaved.

The creation of religious beliefs and adherences is one.

The creation of kingdoms/monarchies/ruling governments and inside those governments the spread of belief systems of capitalism/communism/facism/(the Isms), is the 2nd.

And...the global monetary system.

Together, in tandem, these three main cogs work to restrict our true freedom as a species, keeping us scurrying around like ants, or racing through the concrete jungles of the world, like frantic rats.

Sometimes we are a part of those three main institutions and we work to enslave others and we might not even be aware of it.

We are just working to survive, ourselves.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Jacknife
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:57:48 AM

Jebru wrote:
Jacknife's comments reminded me of a couple of Winston Churchill quotes about democracy. I don't have the specifics on the second quote, but I think they both are cool quotes.

Quote:
Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947
British politician (1874 - 1965)

Quote:
“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”

Hey Jebru. that second quote is one of my favourites.

One must remember that democracy gave us evil leaders (Hitler) and idiot leaders, (Bush, Blair, Berlusconi, lets be honest most of them). it also seems rather odd that we have had the recent surge in this idea of "spreading democracy". We seem to be enforcing a very imperfect system as if everyone is worthy of it and they want it. I think some people around the world are simply incapable of voting with their interests.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:53:24 PM

The labels: I a m a registered democrat, and consider myself as leaning to the left, more so socially then anything else. I actually actively campaigned for Mr. Obama in the last election, mostly based on his vision of American politics needing a drastic make over/change, and have to admit that I’m a little disappointed that the promised change hasn’t come fast enough.

I find myself voting Green Party almost as often as I do democratic – I think that a two party system breaks politics, to be honest, and wish that there was a wider variety of viable candidates so that it wasn’t always a matter of voting for the lesser of two evils, which seems to be the case a lot. I think that the lobbiests are largely responsible for a lot of policies that aren’t aimed at making this a better country but, rather, putting more money in the pockets of a few. I think that I sometimes fall into the so called social-list camp in that the wealth of this country should be spread out a little more. Not to say that those who have a lot haven’t earned it, but there are a lot of us who’ve worked hard all our lives and dealt with bad breaks who have very little and will never really get to enjoy the luxuries that some do. Really, it’s hard not to feel this way when you look at CEO’s getting mind staggering bonuses while laying off those who can barely feed their families. While I don’t have any ideas of how to fix the huge disparity between the classes (and yes, we HAVE became a class based system here) I wish that it was being addressed as one of THE most important issues in the US.

A few personal views on specifics. The death penalty. Abolish it. One, it ends up costing us SO much more then life imprisonment and I believe that killing for ANY reason is never justified (although, I admit to times when I’m angry enough as some vile act to want there to be blood spilled, just like most of us).

Guns. Really, if you’re willing to be responsible and safe, I don’t see any issue why you shouldn’t have a gun if there’s a valid reason for you to own one. This includes hunting (although I am staunch animal rights supporter, and a vegetarian, I won’t force my views of hunting on anyone else. Mostly my issue is with the inhumane treatment of animals used for mass production of food – visit a slaughter house or a chicken farm someday, and you’ll never be able to eat meat again, trust me on this). That said, NO one needs to own automatic weapons – they are only made for one thing – killing people. Most handguns fall into the category too. sadly, the people they kill are just as often innocents.

Health care. This one makes me so angry I could scream. I’ve seen the bills. I was treated for Lymphoma at the age of 19 – fortunately, my dad had insisted on keeping my insurance going. Here’s a few personal facts. A biopsy including an overnight stay in the hospital - $20,000. 8 sessions of chemo, a combination of 5 drugs per session. I don’t know the exact cost, but I DO know that just one of those drugs cost $5,000. Not for the whole run, EACH session. Not to mention all the other costs associated with it. Tell me how any one can survive this without help? Currently, I pay my insurance out of my own pocket – my job doesn’t provide it. Fortunately, when my dad passed, he left me a trust fund to help me with this, otherwise my choice could easily be food and shelter vs health insurance. One major illness can destroy a family, no matter how hard they work. Hospital costs and insurance are SO out of control in this country. That needs to be fixed. What they current admin decided on did not go far enough and why people fought it so vehemently, I do not understand.

Legalize drugs. Really, this is a no brainer to me. Someone wants to get high, let him. Unless he’s doing something dangerous, he’s not hurting anyone. Don’t let him drive, don’t let him work that way, but I’d rather be around someone high on pot then around a drunk, and alcohol is legal! Tax drugs, cut out the criminal side of it – just use Amsterdam as a model, damnit!

I should also add that I consider myself a feminist and a humanitarian – equal rights and treatment for everyone, no matter their race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, everything, and yes, that means the good with the bad – if you want to be treated equally, that means you should be prepared to do the dirty work as well.

Oh, and I think it’s a travesty that religion has seeped into politics – keep them separate. We should not be basing our laws on religious dogma – just because someone believes that abortion, for example, is against God’s will, doesn’t mean that applies to someone of a different faith. I want my laws to be based on what is best for this country and the individuals in it, not on some obscure verse in a bible/quoran/whatever written millenia ago.

that's it, for now! :)
xoxo
sprite

Live, love, laugh.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:57:13 PM

sprite wrote:

Oh, and I think it’s a travesty that religion has seeped into politics – keep them separate. We should not be basing our laws on religious dogma – just because someone believes that abortion, for example, is against God’s will, doesn’t mean that applies to someone of a different faith. I want my laws to be based on what is best for this country and the individuals in it, not on some obscure verse in a bible/quoran/whatever written millenia ago.

xoxo
sprite

I just had an epiphany regarding religious dogma being incorporated into law. Form here on out - I'm all for it. Yep. You heard me right. I'm actually FOR religion and religious sects playing a part in writing statutory law. If Catholics want to outlaw abortions, then BAM! Abortions are against the law... for Catholics. Everyone gets a card denoting which set of religious rules they choose to live by. If a cute little Catholic girl gets knocked up and goes to a OB/Gyn's office, the first thign they'll do is ask to see her Party Identification card. Once they see where it says "Catholic" up top... nope. No abortion for Bunny.

Same thing would apply to Baptists that want to go to a dance club, or Jews that want to go to Disney World during Mickey's Magical Christmas Celebration. My card would say "non-sectarian" on it, though I may just switch to Pagan. I bet they would have some really wild holiday parties...
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:12:42 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
My card would say "non-sectarian" on it, though I may just switch to Pagan. I bet they would have some really wild holiday parties...

Who coulda guessed that? laughing6

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:36:27 AM

At present moment it's hilarious just watching two massively bogan buttheads trying to outdo eachother in a crap-slinging campaign.
Other days I drift from as screaming leftie, especially when it comes to teens on the streets, persual and protection of individual rights and education, on the other days I feel a strange urge to defend capitalism - as one of these days I have the feeling I'm going to become a part of it.
I pretty much go for the groups that are against censorship and believe in investing in community programs. Yahoo.
XX
BB
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 5:52:44 PM

I believe in knowledge and truth above all else.

I think that blindly subscribing to a specific set of ideals is detrimental, whether that be political party, religion, the constitution or anything else. Most atrocities of history have been conducted by people, societies, or institutions that blindly and fully follow ideals and ideas without allowing any aspect of change or compromise.

In general, I am extremely left wing with a few right wing tendencies. I think the most productive and happy societies on earth in the present day have learned to achieve a balance between right and left. I look to Denmark, Sweden, Finland as examples that we should look up to. They do not have the best military or the highest GNP but they have some of the highest standards of living and are among the happiest nations on earth. I think that we can all agree that the extremes of right and left have not been all that great from a historical perspective.

I am pro-choice, pro-healthcare, and pro-capital punishment (for some).

I think that religion is a detriment to society, constricts rational thought, and impedes the progress of science.

I am all for gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, and assisted suicide.

But above all, I worship at the altar of knowledge, reason and rational thought.

Oh...and I like fucking girls in the ass. icon_smile
rxtales
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 9:31:23 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:
sprite wrote:

xoxo
sprite

I just had an epiphany regarding religious dogma being incorporated into law. Form here on out - I'm all for it. Yep. You heard me right. I'm actually FOR religion and religious sects playing a part in writing statutory law. If Catholics want to outlaw abortions, then BAM! Abortions are against the law... for Catholics. Everyone gets a card denoting which set of religious rules they choose to live by. If a cute little Catholic girl gets knocked up and goes to a OB/Gyn's office, the first thign they'll do is ask to see her Party Identification card. Once they see where it says "Catholic" up top... nope. No abortion for Bunny.

Same thing would apply to Baptists that want to go to a dance club, or Jews that want to go to Disney World during Mickey's Magical Christmas Celebration. My card would say "non-sectarian" on it, though I may just switch to Pagan. I bet they would have some really wild holiday parties...

In Malaysia everyone has their religion printed on their Identity card. A friend of mine is from a muslim family and chooses not to practice. It is Ramadan right now and he is not fasting. We went out for lunch the other day and the waiter asked to see his ID card then would not serve him because he is muslim.

Also if you are muslim, it is illegal to marry someone from another religion - they must convert to Islam. However if a hindu wants to marry a jew here, that is fine.

Just a couple of examples how the law differs here for different religions.

When I went to file a police report they asked me what my religion was and when I said Atheist they said there wasn't an option to put that on the form I could choose from Hindu, Sikh, Jewish, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist...

Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 12:14:44 PM

DamonX wrote:

But above all, I worship at the alter of knowledge, reason and rational thought.

Correct spelling helps too.

Do you worship where knowledge can be altered, or at the altar of knowledge?

Ahem, some people will have expected no less from me.

evil5

Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 1:16:47 PM

DamonX wrote:

I think that blindly subscribing to a specific set of ideals is detrimental, whether that be political party, religion, the constitution or anything else. Most atrocities of history have been conducted by people, societies, or institutions that blindly and fully follow ideals and ideas without allowing any aspect of change or compromise.

In general, I am extremely left wing with a few right wing tendencies. I think the most productive and happy societies on earth in the present day have learned to achieve a balance between right and left. I look to Denmark, Sweden, Finland as examples that we should look up to. They do not have the best military or the highest GNP but they have some of the highest standards of living and are among the happiest nations on earth. I think that we can all agree that the extremes of right and left have not been all that great from a historical perspective.

I am pro-choice, pro-healthcare, and pro-capital punishment (for some).

I think that religion is a detriment to society, constricts rational thought, and impedes the progress of science.

I am all for gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, and assisted suicide.

But above all, I worship at the alter of knowledge, reason and rational thought.

Oh...and I like fucking girls in the ass. icon_smile

damon, i really agree with everything you say here. (except the fucking girls in the ass part..i prefer to be on the receiving end there ;)) i do believe you and i are on the exact same page for a lot of issues; most especially religion.

but to play the devil's advocate here...the hard part is qualifying "truth and reason and knowledge" all can be very subjective, aside from a few constants..like gravity for example. what is true for you or reasonable to you may not be to me or someone else. what you consider knowledge i might consider trivial. really i think the best we can do is decide for ourselves what truth, reason and knowledge is and then live our lives according to it. and the trick is to remember not push what we conceive as the truth, reason or knowledge onto others but rather to offer our ideas up for them to take or leave. more importantly, we need to be open to the truths of others as we all have things yet to learn during our time here. and look, im not swiping at you or trying to start and argument. im saying that in general we all fail there sometimes and we would all do well to remember that.

i think WMM said it best when he said (and im paraphrasing) that there would be a lot less warring and fighting if we all allow each other to choose what is our own truths, reason and knowledge.
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:36:32 PM

proportional representation!

in Australia you get fined if you dont turn up and get your name ticked off as turning up to vote! you dont HAVE to vote but you do need to get your name ticked off that you turned up to vote or you get fined!

democracy but is compulsory by way of fines that you vote!!!

personally i believe politicians seriously need to be more in touch with reality. since my folks were heavily involved with local politics all my life i wont say more cos i am sick of it and never understood it!
Jillicious
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 11:57:58 PM

This has been an interesting thread. Some of you did surprise me a bit, most of you didn't.

What really is your political leaning? Here is a test to help you nail it down, if you wish:

http://politicalcompass.org/test

It will give you a nice graph to pinpoint if you are left/right and libertarian/authoritarian.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:10:23 AM

that was fun! Here's mine:

DamonX
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:19:41 AM

gypsymoth wrote:
DamonX wrote:

But above all, I worship at the altar of knowledge, reason and rational thought.

Correct spelling helps too.

Do you worship where knowledge can be altered, or at the altar of knowledge?

Ahem, some people will have expected no less from me.

evil5

Thanks Gypsy. I changed it for you. Note to self: don't make any more lush posts after drinking 12 martinis. :)
Rembacher
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:20:12 AM

Slightly more libertarian than Xuani, did not expect that. lol
DamonX
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:34:11 AM

Quote:
damon, i really agree with everything you say here. (except the fucking girls in the ass part..i prefer to be on the receiving end there ;)) i do believe you and i are on the exact same page for a lot of issues; most especially religion.

but to play the devil's advocate here...the hard part is qualifying "truth and reason and knowledge" all can be very subjective, aside from a few constants..like gravity for example. what is true for you or reasonable to you may not be to me or someone else. what you consider knowledge i might consider trivial. really i think the best we can do is decide for ourselves what truth, reason and knowledge is and then live our lives according to it. and the trick is to remember not push what we conceive as the truth, reason or knowledge onto others but rather to offer our ideas up for them to take or leave. more importantly, we need to be open to the truths of others as we all have things yet to learn during our time here. and look, im not swiping at you or trying to start and argument. im saying that in general we all fail there sometimes and we would all do well to remember that.

i think WMM said it best when he said (and im paraphrasing) that there would be a lot less warring and fighting if we all allow each other to choose what is our own truths, reason and knowledge.

Three things.

Reason and reasonable are two different things.

Knowledge is knowledge no matter how trivial it is.

Implying that truth is subjective eliminates the whole concept of truth doesn't it?

I didn't think I was pushing anything on anyone in this thread. I actually just posted my response like a good little boy. Why are you always picking on poor old Damon...? crybaby