Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you believe in "God"? Options · View
nicola
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:52:43 PM

Or perhaps the concept of, or meaning behind a "God".

Give reasons for your answer either way.

Stephen Hawking apparently doesn't.
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:58:37 PM

Nope but, I believe in Steven Hawking! I don't feel the need for a crutch.
What say you matriarch and why? evil4
nicola
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:05:57 PM

I'll answer later so as not to cause any thread bias laughing6

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:13:53 PM

I'm with Mr. Hawkings.

But when the chips are down I might look to the sky for some assistance...

thepainter
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:14:17 PM

I'll take the bait.

My default answer is that I'm a man of science. As such I'm a critical thinker and like being able to test hypotheses. Of course religious people will point out that science isn't perfect either. But to me it's the favorable option.
Having said that, I respect everyone's religion as long as they don't start preaching to me to see the error of my ways. Right now hornybunny74 is fasting since it's Ramadan. I'm not thrilled about her constantly being tired and eating only before dawn and after nightfall but it's her choice. And I simply have to respect and accept that.

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:40:41 PM

I believe in a higher power than I. I have come to believe over many years that I have a spirit within me, a soul. I believe this soul is just as unique as everyone else's soul and I believe every human has a soul.

The god I believe in is not the same god as those who believe the words of the bible or koran profess to be theirs.

Those were not God(s) but something bipedal and only appeared godlike because of what they could do in the face of primitive mankind.

If I were to fly a helicopter onto a remote Pacific Island, land, and then hand out MRI's to the sea-faring natives, create fire with my bic lighter and stun someone with a taser...I bet the island inhabitants would think I was a god too. And an angry one to be afraid of, at that.

Higher power - yes. God or gods - no.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Jacknife
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:52:16 PM

No, don't believe in a God or a higher power.

Reason: No good evidence for one. Simple as that!
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 6:27:02 PM

I've gone back and forth between being an atheist and an agnostic all my life... In the absence of any proof, I tend to lean towards atheism at this point in life. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that's my romantic and idealistic side. If I was to be proven wrong, and keeping in line with my fantasy of what I'd hope for, it would be a spiritual force, not a version of any "God" that has been created by modern religion. The good thing is that if the "lights out" theory is correct, there won't be any opportunity to be disappointed anyway. happy8

SweetPenny
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 6:29:53 PM

I do believe in some sort of higher power. But I don't believe that we are capable of understanding what exactly that is.
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:00:32 PM

The article makes it seem like Hawking's is acting this way because he's bitter about being unable to speak or walk. It also doesn't seem like they can interpret texts correctly, but whatever.

I don't believe in a higher power/God/gods. I'm good without having some sort of thing that supposedly made the universe yet made no specific proof of itself. So far, everything solved mystery hasn't been caused by "magic," so I doubt it'll suddenly appear anytime soon.
DamonX
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:18:51 PM

I believe in God. My mommy told me so. And I'll be looking down from heaven and laughing at all you sinners while you burn in Hell. evil4

And I constantly work to please him because I know that since there is an omnipotent being capable of creating the entire universe, he must care how much I masturbate or whether I eat meat on Fridays.

Can I prove it? Of course not. After all, isn't it a virtuous quality to be content with not knowing? In fact, I pride myself on not knowing anything at all! That way I will for sure get to spend eternity in the presence of the almighty creator.

But...just to hedge my bets, I'm going to give equal worship to Yaweh, Zeus, Amun-Ra, Odin, Gaia, and the flying spagetti monster because we all know that at least one of them is the "right" one. I just hope Yaweh doesn't mind that I worship the other gods as well, since we all know what a jealous prick he is. After all, one of them had to create the world, right? Because obviously, the world can not simply exist! It is far more possible to think that the world was created by a magical being (that simpy exists).

And even if there isn't a God...well doesn't my false belief make me a better person? After all, no evil has ever been done in the name or religion, right? Those atheists are just a bunch of godless hedonists, fornicators, serial killers and drug addicts. I prefer to model my life on the Bible since as we all know...there is absolutely no immorality in the "good book."

When I am in the presence of intelligent people though, I wont let my beliefs be known. I prefer to cloud them in ambiguous terms like "higher power" which seems much more reasonable to those that can actually think for themselves. Someone once told me that that was just a term used by 12 step programs to indocrinate members of less that religious inclinations, but he was obviously a small minded asshole.

There MUST be something else out there...since the world as it is, is not definately not amazing enough.
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:19:52 PM

I'll ante....no I don't believe in god or supreme, all knowing being. I have this discussion at least twice a week with a co-worker who is very spiritual and religious and open to my lack of belief. The only thing that gets me by on a day to day basis, are my two feet and the little bit of grey matter b/w my ears. I have read enough translations of god, the jesus thing, the profits thing to know what I am saying when discussing this with him, and in the end, what I find is, basically god(s) throughout history have been used to explain the unexplainable, from zeus, chaman, the holy trinity, all used to explain the unexplainable and help us to not feel alone, and to also keep us in line (the whole guilt thing). Now we have guilt and laws to try to keep us in line. Somewhere in our core, we don't want to believe that we just end up dirt. And some need this thing to guide us through the questions, help us in our times of loneliness, set example to those who are morally corrupt, and help us give measure and weight to our existence. Why not face the fact that we live and we die, no more no less.

Einstein was and is noted as being unable to disprove God through science and physics, as well as most physicists, and now I am looking forward to read Hawk's new take on things. Interesting though that Einstein, born jewish (enough guilt alone), was also schooled in a catholic church (icing on the cake). Just in case it is there though, I practice the basic rule, be with others as you would have them be with you. So simple a thing that we can never truly master.
fredatpell
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:28:23 PM

110 % he is real
Rembacher
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:28:38 PM

A lot of how I run my life is based on the teaching I learned going to church every sunday as a child. But as I grew up I had a harder and harder time making sense of the christian belief. I do believe in a spirituality of sorts, but since I've never had the desire to convert anyone else to my beliefs, I've never really defined it. I guess I would describe it as a sort of combination of fate, karma, and taoism. Where there is a spiritual being looking out for me, but a lot of it has to do with how I treat the people and things around me.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:44:08 PM

I do believe in God. If you ask me to prove that He exists, then I'll ask you to prove that He doesn't. I can't describe Him, or quantify Him, or tell you what He had for breakfast, and I don't pretend I can. I don't know if He's a singular entity who really did make us all after His own image, or a plural entity combined of all our individual souls, or neither of the above. There's nothing that science can describe that is beyond God's bounds. If we fail to ever accurately describe a Unified Field Theory, then maybe it's because God doesn't want us to. If we ever do describe it, maybe it's because God has decided we're ready. I don't know.

My belief in God doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't cost anybody anything, and if I'm wrong, the beauty of it is that I'll never know it. I've had too many occurrences in my own personal life that can only have happened through the actions of powers outside ourselves. It's been demonstrated to me enough times that God does exist that to deny it would be to deny several passages from my own past. That's something I can't do, nor would if I could.
DamonX
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:22:41 PM

Quote:
If you ask me to prove that He exists, then I'll ask you to prove that He doesn't

Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:30:42 PM

............. Scabs...............

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:32:18 PM

I don't think we'll be convincing each other to believe in God or not- so lets just answer the question and not turn it into an insult-fest.
DamonX
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:44:37 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
............. Scabs...............

Well, I am pro scab...Oh wait...this isn't the union thread? Damn. I'm getting confused.

icon_smile

I'll be good. I promise.
Lisa
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:10:11 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
I do believe in God. If you ask me to prove that He exists, then I'll ask you to prove that He doesn't. I can't describe Him, or quantify Him, or tell you what He had for breakfast, and I don't pretend I can. I don't know if He's a singular entity who really did make us all after His own image, or a plural entity combined of all our individual souls, or neither of the above. There's nothing that science can describe that is beyond God's bounds. If we fail to ever accurately describe a Unified Field Theory, then maybe it's because God doesn't want us to. If we ever do describe it, maybe it's because God has decided we're ready. I don't know.

My belief in God doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't cost anybody anything, and if I'm wrong, the beauty of it is that I'll never know it. I've had too many occurrences in my own personal life that can only have happened through the actions of powers outside ourselves. It's been demonstrated to me enough times that God does exist that to deny it would be to deny several passages from my own past. That's something I can't do, nor would if I could.

Nicely stated. I'm not a believer myself, but I liked your description.
rxtales
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 11:08:39 PM

Like Dancing Doll I go back and forth between being an agnostic and an atheist. I want to believe there is a higher power and sometimes I do, but most of the time I have difficulty in believing there is something else.
inepa
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 12:20:15 AM

ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY...He my Lord,my saviour, my redeemer, my comforter, my friend, and my creator......
sprite
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 12:33:18 AM

Perhaps the question should be - does God believe in us? ok, that's meant to be serious. i think that we, as in mankind, are kind of egocentric about things. we tend to think we're the center of everything, that God does everything because of US, that somehow he serves us - we pray to Him (i'm going to use that pronoun here, although i concede that it could very well be Her or It or Them) asking for special favors, expecting them to be granted.

Then there was all that stuff in the bible where He'd take one side or favor one people, and smite anyone worshipping someone else. Really, why should a power such as God give a rat's ass who does what down here on the stupid little ball of clay? and wow, really, we think we're so special and are created in his image? if He truly is an all powerful God, we'd be less then ants to him... more like ameobas, really. maybe that all we are, bacteria in a petrie dish gone a little crazy. So, yeah, maybe He believes we exist, but why would He care?

Personally, i was raised Catholic, and yeah, i am supposed to believe in God, and i guess i do, in an abstract way, but why should i believe He cares about me or what i do with my pathetic little life? and if He doesn't care about me, then why the hell should i care about Him?

A part of me thinks that religion is something we NEED in our lives to quell the fears of lonliness and of dying and ceasing to exist. it's our nightlight so we don't have to be afraid of the dark, and it's also our daddy, telling us that everything is going to be ok. also, it seems to be our excuse for doing amazingly horrible things to each other. Hey, God told me to kill all those people. maybe i'm confused here. Perhaps it's religion i don't believe in, not God.

true story, when i was young, i got so angry at God that i told Him i was going to stop believing in Him. Became an atheist for a long time. That'll show Him i thought. kind of funny. Now... well, i think there's something out there, but i really don't claim to know what or whom and i certainly don't thing He or Her or It or Them waste their time thinking about me.

Live, love, laugh.
los825
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:30:02 AM

I dont believe in god as religions and i find religions funny ...but there has to be something higher power, something related to our soul.
i kinda believe in 'Reincarnation' too.
Playmale
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 2:06:12 AM

I believe there is greater spirit and we are all part of that, but G.O.D. god per se? Not really.

There is a pretty cool description in this book, Journey of Souls of what happens when we die.

It makes sense, sounds kind of cool, and I know that we have no real control over it anyhow, so I believe what this says.
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 2:44:32 AM

I think I agree with playmale...to a certain extent.
Now....no religous debate is complete without being Ghandi into it....So here we go:
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Who says old spiritual leader's don't see the humour in irony huh? :D

XX
BB
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 6:13:28 AM

DamonX wrote:

Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35

The word "argument" presupposes that I'm trying to convince you of something. I'm not. Nic asked us to post our beliefs, not try and convince you that we're right. Your lack of belief doesn't bother me as much as my faith seems to bother you.
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 6:18:23 AM

ooooo...awesome question

first..damon your sarcasm slays me man..too funny.

my belief is that god and religion are man made creations. i mean after all we needed SOMETHING to explain volcanoes, lightning and thunder and other various things found in nature wayyy back in the day. then once we began to understand how these oh so scary things happen, and that god indeed, did not have anything to do with why lightning cracks thru the sky or way lava pours from the spouts of the earth we still needed god for one thing ~ to comfort us thru our fear of death. death is a scary thing and im sure it makes people feel better thinking that they can go to another place...body and clothes in tact...to hang out with friends and family members that have gone before us. of course its a ridiculous notion.

damon was right when he said juvenile, not mr nudie personally, but religion as a whole. we have used and twisted it over the millennia, using it to fit our own evil purposes, mostly for the sake of killing and abusing whomever we wish. religion is the most evil invention we, as a race, have ever thought of. i think as we evolve we will begin to slowly let go of our imaginary friend much like children do. We wont need him to comfort us thru death, or have his rules to make us behave well or even need him as an excuse to kill people...we can take responsibility for it ourselves. no more, "God made me do it!"

i do think there is something more though than just nothing. and i figure if men can make up allah and christ i can make up my own thing..i call it the universe and energy and ive assigned it the "she" pronoun just for fun. energy is real, and it flows thru us all and connects us on a level that we can feel but i dont think we truly understand. and it is not some conscious entity but a natural occurrence.

i believe thoughts are powerful and they will bring to you what you seek in life. if you think things are miserable then they are, if you think they are wonderful then that is what you will see. the bottom line for me is i dont think any one has any idea what "it" is, myself included. god, universe. energy, soul. prayers, good thoughts. but ill say i like my way better...sooo many less rules and constraints..never really understood why we have to put so many silly little rules on ourselves to feel good.

so, ill go along thinking my good thoughts and giving thanks to the 'universe' others of you can go along praying and giving thanks to "god". just pretty please keep your war mongering, homosexual bashing and women suppressing religions out of my perfectly ordered universe. thank you.

savanna
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 6:45:52 AM

What amazes me about people who say they do not believe in G-d. Is this if anything happens, if they win anything Lotto car anything, or lose or are in a car accident, G-d forbid what ever. there very first words are OH G-D. I have seen it heard it. I believe we all believe in something. Some may not know what, but there is a believe. Yes I believe very strongly. Why I grew up with it the believe. I live in the land where Jesus was nailed to a cross. That was not suck out of someone thump, and made up the story. How do we know History only because the truth was pass on from generation to generation. Or was that a lie too.
scooter
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:02:35 AM

I believe in God, and I also believe in every ones right to their own opinion.
Or at least their right to answer a simple question.
All out wars have been faught over this same question.
I don't believe in slaughtering a person for their answer tho.

Rock on Mr. nudiepants

scooter.....