Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you believe in "God"? Options · View
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 5:52:45 PM

DamonX wrote:
Quote:
Religion isn't logical, it's about faith.

I think I made this argument previously when I said that religious people can't think logically about religion, even though they may be able to think logically about other things. Logic will never win an argument against religion because religion doesn't play by the same rules.

Nobody is trying to convert anyone. I know that it is impossible to convince a religious person otherwise. That is why I am against the teaching of religion to children before they have a chance to think for themselves. It is a long hard road back to reason after that.

Its just debate. For the enjoyment of ourselves and the people reading. There will be no winner. The winners are the people that read it and come away with a smile. Its all just entertainment after all. icon_smile

Mind you, I don't believe in God, nor a higher, all knowing, seeing, and benevolent power....

However, to this quoted "parable"

All children need to know the love of their parent, guardian, benefactor. Religion, text, and guidance. When one does not have dominion over what is learned, then learn what is proliferated, and use it to ones own wanted direction. The misguided can only only be steered back to the truth from which we all wander in this valley. Your belief.

Turn the stone, and there I am. I say to all those who do believe, and I do not question, your belief. I merely question your intent, and your reason. Do I turn it to see what I want, or to see what I believe. And if not what I believe, then do I just progress to a new stone?

The word, spirit, or the doubt comes from the same source. The internal enlightenment. One which you all possess, and can direct towards a more communal synergy of good. Why fight over the simple message of love, community, and progress. Fight the dogma, fight the hatred, fight the definition, but do not fight each other.
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 5:56:07 PM

Oh, and by the way, what is veronica's belief?
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 6:42:08 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

Science is all about what you call "non-belief"... it asserts that you require specific proofs to draw a valid conclusion and make a claim. Until that point, anything is technically possible. And all you can base your beliefs on are levels of probability. You have insinuated in your earlier thread that atheism and belief in god are black and white statements... that he exists or he doesn't exist. In theory this is correct. But in reality none of us know either statement to be absolutely true. What atheism does is asserts is that based on what we know of the world thus far, the probability that a supreme being exists is very very low... (hence the point scale that Damon posted).

The scientific method works the same way... anything is technically possible until it has been proven valid or invalid (by accepting either the hypothesis or the null hypothesis)... until then we work on what we currently know... and the merits of probability. The absence of belief or non-belief is that we do not uphold something to be fact when you can't prove it. That's science in it's most basic form... on a philosophical level... Sorry I can't find the actual word "non-belief" in the little grade school outline of the scientific method that you provided, but if I have to pick the point you might want to review closer, I'd say check wiki on "Analyze your Data and Draw a Conclusion". Ie. analyze current data supporting God's existence... if the data is weak, you cannot claim he exists, therefore you must conclude that there is high probability that he does not. Easy enough?

For a true scientist, what you just posted is way off base. For a true scientist, everything must be false, unless it can consistently be proven true. Once proven, in a way that is repeatable by any other honest scientist in the world, then it is true - unless proven false, again in a way that's repeatable by any other honest scientist in the world. You can bring probabilities into a discussion if you want to talk about statistics or averages. For instance, if you flip a coin what are the probabilities that it will land heads up vs. heads down? Conduct the experiment, if you want, but the results will only be valid for the type of coin you flipped, using that one system of flipping, in that particular locale and with that particular set of weather conditions. Change any of these variables, and your flipped coin test will be invalid. As a scientist, what are the "probabilities" that water will freeze at exactly zero degrees Celsius? If the water is pure water, at a certain barometric pressure, the "probability" is 100%. If the water is not pure, or the air pressure is not correct, the chance will be 0%. So your "probability" test is meaningless in this instance. You can't talk about a "probability" that God exists, and be honest about it, because you have no way of flipping that coin. You state your opinion, realizing that all it is is your opinion. Either you believe He exists, or He doesn't.

Dancing_Doll wrote:
You can't test the truth behind religion. That's the whole point Nudes... That's why you can't base your entire belief system around something as random as God, unicorns or leprechauns (although some people will try). I'd wager to say that an atheist's life isn't really affected much by whether God exists or not... but for religious people, their lives are very much affected by the blind believe that God does exists... we're talking worship, life choices, bloodshed, war, church donations, and condemnation and judgment.... The latter of which you're very good at by the way, so your beliefs are obviously working for you! happy8

I know you can't test the truth behind religion - you have no way of isolating the variables. Life is like that - you do the best you can with what you're given. I apologize if you feel like I'm judging you unfairly. I was attacked, and responded in kind. I was judged, and again, responded in kind. My belief in God is anything BUT blind - He's shown me His presence more than once. What you (and your cohort) fail to realize is that MY life experience is every bit as valid as yours - maybe more so simply because I've been shown a truth that's been withheld from you two. I don't know why that proof has been denied you, I just know that the more you two push your agenda, call me names, and belittle me, the more I'll defend myself, and my faith.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 6:44:20 PM

LadyX wrote:
Are we really 5 pages in, trying to argue the logic of religion? Religion isn't logical, it's about faith. Religion will never sound like a fine idea to those that don't have faith, and atheism will always seem unsuitable and impossible for those that do have faith. Both sides think they're being misjudged and belittled by the other.

But in this discussion, it's not even 'do you believe in god', it's now turned into 'can you justify faith and organized religion?', which is not only beside the point of the thread, but it apparently cannot be answered without it getting personal.

And this is why, Beautiful One, I admire you so, and must insist that you do indeed have many qualities that I wish I had. Mea Culpa.
DamonX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:00:08 PM

Quote:
I know you can't test the truth behind religion - you have no way of isolating the variables. Life is like that - you do the best you can with what you're given. I apologize if you feel like I'm judging you unfairly. I was attacked, and responded in kind. I was judged, and again, responded in kind. My belief in God is anything BUT blind - He's shown me His presence more than once. What you (and your cohort) fail to realize is that MY life experience is every bit as valid as yours - maybe more so simply because I've been shown a truth that's been withheld from you two. I don't know why that proof has been denied you, I just know that the more you two push your agenda, call me names, and belittle me, the more I'll defend myself, and my faith.

Wow. Ok. I'll play along. How did god show his presence to you?
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:00:45 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:

If God has "shown" you his presence, then I congratulate you. I wish more people were able to experience this kind of irrefutable proof so that the scientific community could clear up the whole "does God exist?" question once and for all. As it stands though, if you want to look at things from a true scientific viewpoint, then it's not exactly sound evidence. If it is, then you should submit it to the New England Journal asap... although in this case the sample population = 1 ... not exactly ideal for validity purposes.

Either way, what's important is what you believe. If you believe it's enough proof, then cheers to you and congratulations on having a life "more valid" than me and my "cohort".

nicola
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:09:45 PM

Jebru wrote:
nicola wrote:
I'll answer later so as not to cause any thread bias laughing6

I don't think you have to worry about causing bias anymore, so, what are your thoughts?

I haven't the time to get into it in the depth you guys have, but I don't believe there's a "god" figure as such, no.

I am not a particularly religious person, but do swing towards the Buddhist philosophy. There is a lot of merit in their principles and beliefs, respect for nature and empathy for all living things. Meditation has helped me enormously over the years.

Jumping into the discussion to the point of interest personally, to an extent, I agree with Damon. I think it's wrong to indoctrinate your children with your beliefs. My parents never forced me to think in any particular way concerning religion, life, the universe and so on. They were all for unshackled free thought, and encouraged me to think for myself. I am extremely thankful to them for that.

Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:18:21 PM

To answer the OP, I don't believe in god or gods. The point about children learning from their parents has come up here and I've personally often wondered why I've never believed in god even though my parents do. They are devoutly religious and I've always been told about gods. I've never believed in Santa Claus either. As a little kid, I always knew the guy at the mall was just a guy in a suit!

Cheers.
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:21:57 PM

nicola wrote:
Jebru wrote:
nicola wrote:
I'll answer later so as not to cause any thread bias laughing6

I don't think you have to worry about causing bias anymore, so, what are your thoughts?

I haven't the time to get into it in the depth you guys have, but I don't believe there's a "god" figure as such, no.

I am not a particularly religious person, but do swing towards the Buddhist philosophy. There is a lot of merit in their principles and beliefs, respect for nature and empathy for all living things. Meditation has helped me enormously over the years.

Jumping into the discussion to the point of interest personally, to an extent, I agree with Damon. I think it's wrong to indoctrinate your children with your beliefs. My parents never forced me to think in any particular way concerning religion, life, the universe and so on. They were all for unshackled free thought, and encouraged me to think for myself. I am extremely thankful to them for that.

ahhh...fair veronica. I talked to my daughter this past christmas about the three wise kings being that she is also half cuban, and I find that as long as the positive is the concentration then no matter the belief or non-belief then it is the the word which is true. A lone soul who fought against the intolerance of difference, was the guide to how we are all the same.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:39:49 PM

DamonX wrote:

My stories are far too long, too detailed, and too personal for me to present here, even if I wanted to. As I've posted before, I'm not here to proselytize. You can either take my word for it, or not. it's all the same to me.
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:49:31 PM

think went way off initial question...............

So

I AM GOD!!! you should all be worshipping me and my demands are simple! its Brunch time-----------COFFEE, BAGELS AND A SNOG!!

now how many can i upset? lol
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:19:39 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:

My stories are far too long, too detailed, and too personal for me to present here, even if I wanted to. As I've posted before, I'm not here to proselytize. You can either take my word for it, or not. it's all the same to me.

then we either starve or we can break bread, and share in the knowledge. It is in all of us. Let us share, and get to know, either way food eases hunger.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 9:23:29 PM

celticweirdness wrote:
think went way off initial question...............

Yes, I believe you are correct. I am pretty sure I know who led us to this tangent, too...

I see you what you did, there

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
DamonX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:57:43 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:

As convincing as that argument was...I'll choose "not".
LadyX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 11:35:11 PM

DamonX wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:

As convincing as that argument was...I'll choose "not".

I can't say that "god" has shown his presence to me, but I do have somebody dear to me that is with me often- and lately, she's with me all the time. She talks to me, she comforts me, she's somebody I can think with, not just about. She's been dead for almost 17 years.

I'm sure there's some kind of psychological explanation that somebody can give me, and any experiences from me about it being 'supernatural', or the work of a higher being would be greeted with the appropriate insults and condescension- since that's the way it apparently goes- but either way, it's not a belief in a god, but it won't let me slam the door on the possibility at all- which is why I'm a 5.75, not a 7.

Either way, I wonder if anybody else can share where they stand on the concept of "god". I'd much rather see that than another four pages of slap-fest from the usual suspects.
Piquet
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:43:39 AM

When asked, "Do you believe in God?" Always ask, "Which God?" In the book of Exodus God himself tells the Israelites that there are other gods and that he is a jealous god and that they are to worship only him.

So if you must believe in a 'god' which god do choose? If one chooses to follow no god and to lead a virtuous life then you confound Pope, priest, preacher, religion, sect, Heaven and Hell.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/claudia-incarnatapart-vii.aspx
aussiescribbler
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:55:43 AM

The problem with the term "God" is that it has become so contaminated by association with specific delusions and dogmas that those of us who do not believe in the supernatural, but do believe that there is a purposeful creative principle at the heart of an unfolding universe might be better off trying to come up with another name for it. What I believe in is a "God within" rather than a "God without". Not a cosmic magician designing the world but an unacknowledged intrinsic tendency in energy to, where the conditions allow, form matter, and for matter, where the conditions allow to become living matter, and for simple living matter to become complex living matter, and for complex living matter to become intelligent living matter. Because this is what has happened. This is how we come to be here discussing the existence or non-existence of God. The chances against intelligent life occurring by random chance have been calculated to be astronomically high. So it stands to reason that if it has happened, then the tendency for such meaningful order to unfold was an intrinsic part of the ingredients. At each level of development parts somehow come to form a whole that is more than their sum. And on the level of human society that also happens. We come together to form groups or communities which are more that the sum of the individuals who make them up, and the force that draws us together in this way is what we call love. Here we have a principle which "created the world and all life" and which is synonymous with love. These are claims that are made for God. I think the concept of an old man who lives in the clouds and listens to our prayers, loving us and forgiving our misdeeds, is a cultural recognition of this creative tendency, but in a form which is more comforting for some people. As a manic depressive I learned some time ago that every delusion contains the seeds of a truth. A delusion is the best approximation for the truth that we can come up with when in a wounded state. As we heal we can exchange the delusion for the naked truth of which it was merely a symbol.
Jacknife
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:00:57 AM

Obviously there has been alot of talk from ethier side, but I'd like to bring up a little thing called the "Null hypothiese". Now you may not know this but you use this idea every day of your life.
If one person says there is a "God" (Higher Power, Spiritual presesnce etc) and someone else says their isn't on. Who does the burden of proof fall on? It seems to be being argued that "Belief" and "NonBelief" are essentially the same thing with different conclusions, both have the same merit and are equally valid and require the same burden of proof in order for their position to be tenable

Now lets remove God from picture. Lets say I claim to have a cultivated a fruit that cures cancer. Somebody else doubts my claim. Where is the burden of proof? If it is a question of simple faith or belief then one must only tell the skeptic "I have faith in my fruit" or "It has been personally revealed to me that the fruit cures cancer". No one would accept this in any walk of life other than when you are talking about religion and "God". Its not up to the skeptic to provide evidence that my fruit does not cure cancer, its up to me to provide evidence that it does.

The Null hypothise says there is a default position, in this case "Fruit does not cure cancer" and in order to move off that position evidence must be provided.

One of the main reasons that I am an athiest is that the default position in the world is atheism and inorder for me to move off that position, I would like some evidence to do so.
CLSW
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:37:42 AM

Yes I do. How can people see a child birthed into the world and not believe in God. It is a miracilous thing. I have a always believed.

Get on Get in Enjoy the ride
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:22:11 AM

CLSW wrote:
Yes I do. How can people see a child birthed into the world and not believe in God. It is a miracilous thing. I have a always believed.

Are you old enough to remember the announcement to the world in July 1978? I was 18, about to attend my first year of university. I remember this vividly as I was attending a Southern Baptist private college, and it had the campus buzzing all that late summer and autumn.

"What does this mean?"

Every miracle can be explained. Every magician's sleight-of-hand (no matter how on-the-spot amazing) is just an illusion (with an explanation behind it).

To me, a very large galactic star which goes super-nova, is a higher power than I am, but it is not miraculous (although it would appear to be - momentarily).

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
OldGeezer
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:57:57 AM

Good God, No!

Bad God.....well, I'm trying to be.....
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:55:21 PM

As a Satanist I find myself confronted at times with moral dilemmas, like:

Paper or plastic?
Is it OK to drive an SUV?
Should I murder BIll O'Reilly, and
Is white alright to wear past Labour Day?

In those trying times of moral indecision, I ask myself one question:

"What would Hitler do?"

I find peace and wisdom in the answers I receive.

Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:08:19 PM

That made me laugh Oberon.
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:16:06 PM

Well, I figure when sincerity doesn't work, sarcasm will.

Cheers chefkathleen.

- O -
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:35:27 PM

Oberon wrote:

As a Satanist I find myself confronted at times with moral dilemmas, like:

Paper or plastic?
Is it OK to drive an SUV?
Should I murder BIll O'Reilly, and
Is white alright to wear past Labour Day?

In those trying times of moral indecision, I ask myself one question:

"What would Hitler do?"

I find peace and wisdom in the answers I receive.

In answer #1 Fill a landfill or kill a tree? Tough decision.
#2 Only if you have a drivers license
#3 Of course you should
#4 only if it's Off white
and the last one? I believe Metallica said it best, "Kill 'Em All"
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:50:00 PM

Excellent advice, chefkathleen.
Thanks.
I'll dig out my Metallica LPs (and play them backwards).

I know the quote "Wherever you go, there you are' from the film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension,
but I just Googled it and understand it's from Confucius, originally. - Is that where you know it from?

Or is that off topic?
(Maybe I should start a new tread).
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:07:26 PM

Oberon wrote:
Excellent advice, chefkathleen.
Thanks.
I'll dig out my Metallica LPs (and play them backwards).

I know the quote "Wherever you go, there you are' from the film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension,
but I just Googled it and understand it's from Confucius, originally. - Is that where you know it from?

Or is that off topic?
(Maybe I should start a new tread).

Maybe you should.
Yeah that's where I know it from He taught me himself. Wise man that Connie. We're buds so I'm allowed to call him that.
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:35:49 PM

( chefkathleen said: "Wise man that Connie. We're buds so I'm allowed to call him that. )

Yeah?
Cool.

Next time you see him, ask him this for me:

Why are people so afraid to take responsibility for their OWN lives on this planet, and - while they're at it - the planet itself?

I'd really like to hear what he has to say.
MousyandWolfy
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:31:28 PM

I have my own beliefs, and I do believe in a Goddess that is represented by the moon. I really love Celtic Mythology, so that has to do with my belief. (:
Plus, why not worship the Moon? It's absolutely beautiful and brings light to the pitch dark of night.

Satanism is pretty cool, too. I hate the idiots who think it's actually about worshiping the devil and satanic rituals. /sigh/

I'm against organized religion, also.

~~You will love each other!!~~
aussiescribbler
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:37:58 AM

Quote:
Satanism is pretty cool, too. I hate the idiots who think it's actually about worshiping the devil and satanic rituals. /sigh/

What is Satanism about? I'm vaguely familiar with Anton Levay, but I'm sure he wasn't the first to use the term about himself. I do know that there have been examples of teenagers who claimed to be Satanists, read up on the subject and "sacrificed" animals. Anyway, I don't think anyone is an "idiot" for believing that it is about worshipping the devil and doing satanic rituals because that is what the name implies. Satan is the term used for the personification of evil in the dominant religious belief system in our culture. Surely someone who didn't want people to think they were worshipping what Christians and Muslims consider to be evil would not call themselves a Satanist. They would come up with a name that wouldn't be so readily misunderstood.

My suspicion is that Satanists call themselves such because they want to rebel against their Christian parents. The problem is that this makes them just as much a prisoner of the Christian belief system as a Christian is. To be truly free of anything means not feeling compelled to negate it. I think the same thing about people who make a big song and dance about their atheism. To simply not believe because you can't see the evidence makes sense, but to make a cause of it suggests that "the lady doth protest too much".

When it comes to the question of worship, my advice is don't. If you are going to worship something, only worship something you want to destroy, because that is what happens. [I don't think we have to worry about the moon, that's fairly safe at the moment.] The problem with worship is that, being subject to the laws of human psychology, we can't help but come to secretly resent that which we put on a pedestal above us. The Catholic Church worships innocence as symbolised by the "Virgin" Mary and the baby Jesus, but this leads to a situation where they torture innocent children with fantasies about a place called Hell and some priests end up molesting children. Some say that has to do with their not having wives but I think it has more to do with the fact that we naturally end up wanting to attack what we feel inferior to. But we can see this with the whole of the Christian religion, where people believe Jesus was God, but they don't listen to a word he said. Take the last supper. He said that the bread was his flesh and the wine was his blood and that people should eat and drink like this in memory of him. It seems obvious to me that, since, like all prophets, he spoke on behalf of the loving principle within us which he felt very strongly, what he was saying was that anything that is shared is the physical flesh and blood of "God" (of the loving principle) and that if we wanted that loving principle to remain and wanted to be a part of it then we could do so by something as simple as sharing. But the church, rather than trying to work out the simple point he was making, turned this into an empty ritual involving wafers and wine. Really, that's just a way of telling Jesus to "Fuck off!" When we come here to Lush Stories to share our sexual fantasies we are doing something that is closer in spirit to the philosophy put forward by Jesus than anything the Pope does.