Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you believe in "God"? Options · View
SIL50
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:16:22 PM

I have to agree with Mr. Nudiepants. I do believe in God, but I do not wear it on my shirt sleeve. Whether others do or don't isn't my problem. To quote an atheist friend" the Bible promotes a lifestyle that if a person follows they will be an example to all." Nuff said.
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:17:28 PM

Lets assume for a moment there is a God.We may not know the nature of God or which religion comes closest to the truth, but we can be sure of one thing. God does not love you.

Look at all the cruelty and misery in the world, which God does nothing to stop. Right now as you are reading this, there are children in various places around the world being raped and abused. Most of us would risk our lives even give up our lives to save them if we could. God stands by and does nothing. God has abandoned these children and clearly does not love them.

There are some religions claiming " Gods love is a different kind of love," which is supposed to explain and justify what appears to be Gods devine indifference. This is total bullcrap. If I claim that I love my neighbor and then set his house on fire, anyone can see that my "Love" is no love at all.

Another fallacy along these lines is the statement " God does'nt give us more than we can handle in life." This is a rediculous statement. Go to a mental institution, to the ward for those seriously disturbed. You will see people who sit and rock back and forth all day long. Staring off into space or screaming at non existant terrors. God has given them more than they could handle, and now they're totally broken.

So you have no loving God watching over you, making sure you get what you need. You don't get what you need in life, you don't get what you want and don't get what you deserve. You get what you get.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:10:39 PM

tandie wrote:
Lets assume for a moment there is a God.We may not know the nature of God or which religion comes closest to the truth, but we can be sure of one thing. God does not love you.

Look at all the cruelty and misery in the world, which God does nothing to stop. Right now as you are reading this, there are children in various places around the world being raped and abused. Most of us would risk our lives even give up our lives to save them if we could. God stands by and does nothing. God has abandoned these children and clearly does not love them.

There are some religions claiming " Gods love is a different kind of love," which is supposed to explain and justify what appears to be Gods devine indifference. This is total bullcrap. If I claim that I love my neighbor and then set his house on fire, anyone can see that my "Love" is no love at all.

Another fallacy along these lines is the statement " God does'nt give us more than we can handle in life." This is a rediculous statement. Go to a mental institution, to the ward for those seriously disturbed. You will see people who sit and rock back and forth all day long. Staring off into space or screaming at non existant terrors. God has given them more than they could handle, and now they're totally broken.

So you have no loving God watching over you, making sure you get what you need. You don't get what you need in life, you don't get what you want and don't get what you deserve. You get what you get.

That's a pretty big can of worms you just opened there... Might even merit a whole knew thread.

"If god exists why does he allow us to suffer?" Or something like that.

I have often thought this way too. But I've heard christians argue about where does god draw the line in helping people in need? Does him intervening in our lives take away free will? Isn't life on earth some sort of test to see if we get into heaven? Aren't our miseries in life reveresed and our good deeds rewarded when we go to heaven if we just turned the other cheek while we were suffering on earth?

These are some of the things I hear Christians say to me when I bring up suffering in the worldand gods indifference. It makes sense from the religion's point of view.

Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:25:07 PM

I need to insert this here.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:30:21 PM

Chef, I love that. For the second time, you've posted something I like so much I want to steal it. This time I promise not to post it someplace you wouldn't like. I won't post anywhere, actually.

But truly, thats great. And it's kind of my thought on the matter.
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:42:11 PM

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/latergreeks.html

Seems that those who existed before the word existed had a good clue. It's funny how we still can't see through the haze.

SIL50
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:49:53 PM

Why all the haters, wouldn't you rather believe and find out you are wrong after death than not believe and find out you are wrong?
SweetPenny
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:02:08 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
I need to insert this here.

God gave us free will. Some people can be evil. Not God.
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:09:41 PM

Well i consider myself as a person of science. Until the twentieth century, the Vatican still held the belief that the Sun revolved around the Earth. I realize that this has nothing to do with spirituality, but I automatically reject organized religion just because of things I believe are pure stupidity. Regarding my personal beliefs though, I am an agnostic. Its just a mystery to me, and if i cant prove it one way or another, i try not to choose a side.
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:52:35 PM

"Why all the haters, wouldn't you rather believe and find out you are wrong after death than not believe and find out you are wrong?"

So those who don't "believe" are wrong whichever way you look at it? Who, what, or which one should we believe in so that we can be correct?

As for evil, I don't know, but the whole hoax on Abraham was somewhat inappropriate and the ends could have been met with better means. Yes, just kidding, and just checking your faith and all that. Maybe not evil, but sure is cruel. It seems from the written word, that all evil is identified when any character questions or challenges. In the end, I believe that there are many "haters" because sometimes, common sense dictates.

Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:26:16 AM

LadyX wrote:
Chef, I love that. For the second time, you've posted something I like so much I want to steal it. This time I promise not to post it someplace you wouldn't like. I won't post anywhere, actually.

Sure you can have it and use it wherever you want to. It says how I feel about the whole thing myself.
She
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:33:02 AM

chefkathleen wrote:
LadyX wrote:

Sure you can have it and use it wherever you want to. It says how I feel about the whole thing myself.

Yap, I third that! The poster says it much nicely though, than I would evil4
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:18:52 PM

I don't need some old boring scientists to prove to me that God exists. Look at how much stuff science has already been wrong about. I like science and bio and chem classes and all that but religion is something you feel from the inside. Like how I know that Jesus died for our sins. Well lets just say that I've sinned alot over the years! And knowing the path to salvation is there thru loving him makes me a better person and a better christian girl and isn't that the whole great thing about religion anyways? I think it helps to make us better and more forgiving people. Its just like how I forgive people when they screw me over well that gives me peace of mind too and then I dont feel so bad when I make mistakes cause thats what makes us human and I know that God will always be there for me no matter what.
Nikki703
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:51:07 PM

Yes, I do believe in God! I do not think I need to expalin to anyone why I do. Everyone has their own beliefs, be it a superior being, a higher power or whatever. Someone or Something you look to in time of crisis. But if you believe or what you believe is very personal. Either You Do or You Dont. And I Do.
Nikki703
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:00:26 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
tandie wrote:

That's a pretty big can of worms you just opened there... Might even merit a whole knew thread.

"If god exists why does he allow us to suffer?" Or something like that.

I have often thought this way too. But I've heard christians argue about where does god draw the line in helping people in need? Does him intervening in our lives take away free will? Isn't life on earth some sort of test to see if we get into heaven? Aren't our miseries in life reveresed and our good deeds rewarded when we go to heaven if we just turned the other cheek while we were suffering on earth?

These are some of the things I hear Christians say to me when I bring up suffering in the worldand gods indifference. It makes sense from the religion's point of view.

You are right, this does open up a major can of worms! I once heard a statement somewhere that may very well ring true. The question was " Does God answer all prayers?" And the Answer given was "Yes he does, but sometimes the answer is No"

Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:34:23 PM

sprite wrote:
stuart1975 wrote:
Personally it's very hard to believe in someone or something I have never seen or talked to myself. Now I believe we all have the right to choose weather god exsists or not but judging by the decrease in people going to church nowadays my guess is there are less and less people that beleive in the concept of god. Just my opinion though.

well, considering what the present day Catholic church holds as doctrine - homosexuality is evil, women are lesser creatures, anti-birthcontrol, anti-abortion, and the cover up of abuse, i think that more and more people are disgusted with the church, rather then disbelieving in the concept of God? just a thought.

To the people who know Euro history, this sounds a lot like what caused the reformation that led to all Protestant denominations of Christianity (Lutheran, Calvinist, Presbyterian, Anglican). Who knows? World War III might be started because of the corruption of the Christian Churchs' structure and beliefs.
Tren
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 4:25:02 AM

I believed in god for half of my childhood, but after analyzing the bible and seeing all the suffering and war going on in this world I lost my faith. Trying to impose order on chaos by attributing it to a god is nonsense, the universe by its very nature is chaotic and mysterious.

Exactly how many times has a patient been cured with prayer compared to modern medicine and medical techniques created by science and the hard work of intelligent men and women, I think the statistics would vastly vote for the latter. Science has enlightened us, brought us to the moon, abolished diseases and even given us the ability to transfer thoughts, information and ideas (Internet) across the world, which would have taken months to relay now only takes half a second. of course its not a flawless art but it has improved our lives so drastically and for the better it outweighs the bad things it has done. And to see religious zealots take advantage of the marvels it has brought us then bash it really rubs off on me as being incredibly hypocritical.

But I also believe people should have freedom in what they believe in.

I'm done ranting coffee
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 4:39:36 AM

Prepare for a rant people, because hear it is:

I do not believe in God. That being said, I believe the idea of God exists for a deeper reason. People don't just need something to point to for all the scientific mysteries, they also need something they can hope in. The movie I believe refers to this best is The Invention of Lying. In the story, a woman is about to die, and she is depressed because she knows that there is no afterlife and death is final. However, the main character is able to make her believe in Heaven through lying to her. This gives her joy, and most importantly, hope. Society can function without hope, but it would be much more depressing. God may not exist, but he gives inspiration to the uninspired, wealth to the poor, kindness to the impolite, faith to the faithless, and most importantly, hope to the hopeless.
FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:18:23 AM

I finally got a chance to read this entire thread, so now it's time for me to chime in.

I am an atheist. I am 6 on the scale (one down from the max) because there is no actual proof. The same would be true of 1 on the scale, there is no actual proof for that either.

I grew up in a religious family. We went to church, I was confirmed, I was an acolyte, and I wholeheartedly believed in "God". [Side note: acolytes are the Episcopalian version of altarboys, except that Episcopals do not gender discriminate. Girls can be acolytes also.] When I was a teen, I went to church on my own during the week, as I worked weekends.

I threw myself into it heart and soul. I tried so hard to be good. I really wanted to earn my way into "Heaven". I even wanted to do missionary work to spread the word.

There were a few things wrong with scenario:

1. I became a judgmental prick. I annoyed my friends with my preaching. I tried to talk them out of having sex out of marriage, etc. I hated myself, but didn't realize why. I was a good person, but my religious beliefs, were causing me to judge and hate others. I didn't question it because I thought I was doing the "righteous" thing.

2. I have an uncle who is probably the most hateful intolerant Catholic in the history of the world. He uses every racial slur in the book, he hates women, etc. He believes that the most evil Catholic can go to "Heaven" but the nicest non-Catholic automatically goes to "Hell". This is the Catholic belief that only Catholics go to "Heaven". He thinks both of my grandfathers are in "Hell", but that someone like Al Capone is hobnobbing with the angels. He also screamed and lectured at everyone in our family. He also believes that it's okay to lie to people to get them to convert to his way of thinking. The end justifies the means, in his mind.

3. Since childhood, I had this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I could literally feel it. It was always there, but usually very faint. It would become overwhelming when I had thoughts like, "If God made everything, who made God?". It would scare the living shit out of me because, as a kid, there was this slight realization that we shouldn't really exist. Even as a kid something told me that we are just a fluke of nature. The idea of "God" being "up there" comforted me, but this also gave me much doubt at the same time.

As I said, I threw myself into a so-called pious life to shelter myself from these doubts. I say so-called because, to be honest, I'm a much kinder, more decent, honest, helpful, loving person now, than when I was a believer.

As I got older, I started to question things more, even though it scared me to do so. The more questions that I asked the more questions that got raised. I had no answers for myself. Religious people who I know had no satisfying answers for me. Reading "The Holy Bible" just made everything worse.

Being an intelligent & logical person, I find it hard to believe that there were talking animals. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be "God" & "Satan" doing the talking for them, but really, I'm not 2 years old. There are two conflicting stories of the creation myth. One version says that Adam & Steve [sic] were created at the same time. Another version says that Adam was the only one created. He frolicked and played for awhile until "God" decided to rip one of his bones out of his chest and somehow create Steve [sic]. If "God" can create anything and everything out of nothing, what does he need spare parts from Adam for? Not only that, but the two of them had 3 kids, so that meant that they were the only 5 people on the Earth and somehow there were women for the boys to marry. Yet people use this poorly written shit to explain life and genetics. Sorry, but no good. It raises questions, but provides no answers. There are also countless acts of cruelty or encouragement thereof. (Did you discover that your bride was not a virgin or your wedding night? Well, the Bible says to beat her to death on her father's doorstep. Big thumbs up for that rule!)

So, none of these things helped. There were two other places to look for answers. One was "God"""Himself" and the other was to look to the secular community for info.

Well, I prayed to "God" for answers, guidance, help, or even a tiny little sign that "He" exists. Excuse the bluntness, but I never heard a fucking peep back, and I was looking for signs. I wanted to believe, but I got nothing in return. I came to the realization that I was praying to an empty sky. I'm sure that someone will try to tell me that that's what "Faith" is for. Sorry, but life should not be a game of believing when it seems that "God" is purposely hiding. The evidence points to there being no one there.

I started doing research. I read books, websites, attended classes, watched online and televised lectures, etc. I finally started finding some answers. The story of Noah came from the epic story Gilgamesh which was told and written down CENTURIES before the Bible. The Bible plagiarized this story, changed the name and tried to pass it off as fact. The Jesus story came from the Egyptian book of the dead. It was created long before Jesus was ever born. The names were changed of course.

At that point I had outside sources confirming what I suspected. The Bible was probably written by people and not "God". "God" wasn't answering me, so after years of attempting to contact him, I came to the conclusion that there was no one to contact.

I live in a religious part of the country (US). I cannot tell people that I'm an atheist for fear of retribution. Yes, they are that fearful of atheists here. There is no god to turn to for comfort. When I die, I am gone. When my friends or family die, there is no comfort when someone says, "They are with God/the angels now.", "They are in a better place", "You will see them again some day." No, no, no. A thousand times no. Why do others get to fool themselves and I get stuck with the harsh reality? I feel like I'm
all alone in the universe. This topic is the first time I've ever been able to fully express my feelings about "God" & religion.

I'm sure that someone will ask why I don't go back to "God". There's nothing to go back to. It would be like you trying to re-believe in Santa Claus. You know that there is no Santa Claus and you'd only be fooling yourself, if indeed you could fool yourself, which is highly doubtful.

So, yeah, not a fun place to be. After believing, or trying to believe so strongly, having to come to this point is like having one's heart ripped out. So, in my case, indoctrination was very bad for me. I would definitely have preferred to have never believed than to have it taken away. There's nothing here except the sound of my own voice echoing and the crickets chirping. I wasted a lot of time and energy on something that isn't real.

Two side notes:

1. Tren: There was a study conducted by a religious group about the power of prayer. If memory serves right, there were 3 groups of heart patients. First group was not prayed for at all (control group). Second group was prayed for by friends and family. The third group was prayed for by strangers (they prayed for their initials or something). Group one had the best results of the three. The other two groups oddly got worse health-wise. The religious group tried to cover up the study, but it leaked out. I will try to find the exact details, so that anyone who wants to can check it out.

2. Mr.Nudie and Damon have both expressed that neither was expecting to win over supporters. Yes, it is very improbable that anyone who has chosen a side would move toward your viewpoint. However, I think you both fail to see that it is very possible that your attitudes could push people away from your viewpoints. My uncle pushed me away from his. Anger and dogmatism is more likely to have people join the other side, just to spite you. Just something to think about.:)

The reviews are in. Here's what people are saying about FicklePickleTickle:
"BestCukeOnTheVine" - LusciousLola.
"Pickle juice rocks!" - curiousbutterfly.
"Pickles is really a jalapeño" - sw33tang3l
"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.
"If FTP Eats A Pickle, Is That Cannibalism? " Nikki703
"FTP makes me wet. . ." - imhapless.
"Always thought he was dill but he's actually a sweet pickle." - kinkygirl.

Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:30:26 AM

That was a very interesting post.
FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:46:40 AM

For those interested, I think I found an unbiased explanation of The Great Prayer Experiment. I did not have time to check it out as there are quite a few links there from different sources and with different viewpoints. I don't have time to read all of them now. Let me know if it ends up being biased and I'll try to find another source; or if anyone else finds one, share it here.

http://www.davidmyers.org/Brix?pageID=122

"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.

Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:38:41 PM

I find it odd that fickle has to hide his beliefs because of religion just as the first christians had to "hide" and thus began using the ixthys symbol to tell other believers of upcoming meetings. I was having a conversation the other day with a co-worker who is also a non-believer and it struck me at one point that we were whispering. Religious people in the office can talk about religion all they want, have the picture of the pope as a screen saver, and end their work place voice mail message with "...and have a blessed day," but for those who do not we must be weary of the myth believers.

On that note...I leave you with this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-stenger/why-religion-should-be-co_b_775163.html
FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:11:20 PM

I mentioned in another topic that it wouldn't literally be villagers with pitchforks and torches marching toward my house, but it would definitely feel like it. I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in the US, especially in smaller communities. It's not uncommon for atheists to be ostracized, have death threats made (even on the children of atheists), find it difficult to keep/get a job, etc. I wouldn't feel safe in this narrow-minded community if people knew that I don't believe in any "higher power". They would see me as an "enemy" to their way of life.

The article that you posted is an interesting read, but it should have gone a step further. One of the reasons that I'm critical of major religions is that many of these are what I'd call "doomsday" religions. There are a growing number of people who are convinced that the end of the world is coming, that they will be "saved" by it, and that the world will be reborn in peace. The scariest part of the mindset of these people is that they feel that it is their moral duty to bring about the end of the world.

Sure, one could say that these are small groups of people scattered among different faiths or that they are splinter groups and what not. The reality is that there are "normal" churches, meaning the kind that my grandparents might have attended as opposed to radical cult-like churches, who are calling their parishioners "soldiers" now. A lot of this has come in response to the Sept. 11th tragedy, which I might add was carried out by people who were coerced into believing that they were doing "god's work". The argument that it hurts no one to believe is invalid. An individual who believes is mostly likely harmless, but in groups, it can be more dangerous than anything else on this Earth.

We have groups from different religions trying to hurt, insult, and provoke those from "opposing religions". People are becoming more angry and intolerant of other religions. This scares the shit out of me. All of this is a recipe for disaster.

Religion is convincing more and more people that it will be a good thing to battle other religions & destroy the Earth in order to bring peace and paradise to it. I can't think of anything worse for a person to be wrong about.

Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:42:19 PM

at ficklepickle...

BRAVO!
Woman
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:27:26 PM

FicklePickleTickle wrote:
I finally got a chance to read this entire thread, so now it's time for me to chime in.

I am an atheist. I am 6 on the scale (one down from the max) because there is no actual proof. The same would be true of 1 on the scale, there is no actual proof for that either.

FicklePickleTickle....

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts on this topic.... very interesting indeed!!! I was almost disowned by my family for being the only person not to get confirmed with the church when I was twelve. My sisters and my mother and my aunts and uncles were all telling me to just do it, doesn't matter if I beleive it or not, just do it. I couldn't for all the reasons you mentioned. I could not make a promise that I could not follow through with. I could not stand there and say, "Yes, I beleive that God is the one true God, and will follow in the teachings of the Bible."

Again.... thank-you for your thoughts!!!!

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:37:30 PM

Woman wrote:
FicklePickleTickle wrote:

FicklePickleTickle....

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts on this topic.... very interesting indeed!!! I was almost disowned by my family for being the only person not to get confirmed with the church when I was twelve. My sisters and my mother and my aunts and uncles were all telling me to just do it, doesn't matter if I beleive it or not, just do it. I couldn't for all the reasons you mentioned. I could not make a promise that I could not follow through with. I could not stand there and say, "Yes, I beleive that God is the one true God, and will follow in the teachings of the Bible."

Again.... thank-you for your thoughts!!!!

I'm the only one not confirmed in my family too. It was out of procrastination though really. I'm also the oldest and my parents cut their parenting teeth on me and kind of let me just get away with it. Not my sisters though... They thought it was so damn unfair that they had to go through it all while I was running around not studying.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:53:00 PM

I've done basic reading on most of the major religions and a few alternative ones when I was younger. I never had religion forced upon me, and for the record, I never went to church or read the Bible (ok, well I skimmed the first half of it, but then got side-tracked by real life). At one point I found there was a desire to want to believe in something, which is perhaps why I was shopping around. The most enthusiasm I could muster for the concept of God was to maybe consider myself Agnostic. But my belief in that dwindled quickly as well. I've come to the point where atheism is the most natural fit for me. If someone is able to prove with evidence and beyond a reasonable doubt that there is something else then I'd be happy to listen, but until then, in the absence of anything concrete, I'd rather believe in nothing. It doesn't really affect my daily life or the choices I make anyway, so I really don't feel like I'm lacking or missing out on anything by choosing not to believe.

Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:18:20 PM

i agree with you doll..it drives me nuts when people say "without god we would have no moral compass and we would degrade as a society"

like god, and the threat of hell, is the only thing that keeps us from behaving badly. im no angel but i know that for sure even if god was a presence in my life i would still make the same choices i do today. i am a good person for the sake of being a good person, not because it means i get to go hang out on the clouds. sounds boring anyway.

indeed, even the most staunch christians behave immorally, break "gods" laws...how many born again christians are in jail or have joined naughty sex sites?

if a person needs god and his threats of damnation to behave well then i think that might be a red flag one might want to examine.
FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:57:49 PM

I've always hated that argument too. How evil are these Christians deep down if they only thing that keeps them in check is fear of eternal damnation?

It says a hell a lot more about them than it does us. :P

Jillicious
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:36:28 PM

This is the closest thing I have ever seen to an atheist congregation. Now everybody just needs some songs to sing.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.