Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Compulsory Voting Options · View
rxtales
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 12:15:05 PM

Ladyx's thread made me think of this, and I think it deserves a thread of it's own. Recently an Australian couple were telling me that it was compulsary to vote and I have read a few articles over here about people wanting to make voting compulsary. Was just wondering what people thought of this?

I guess sending in a blank ballot would count as voting.
nicola
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 2:29:57 PM

Forcing people to do anything they don't want to is always going to end badly.

I don't like it. I didn't vote last time around, they hadn't changed my address in their system, so I didn't bother. I haven't been fined yet.
rxtales
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 3:58:09 PM

nicola wrote:
Forcing people to do anything they don't want to is always going to end badly.

I don't like it. I didn't vote last time around, they hadn't changed my address in their system, so I didn't bother. I haven't been fined yet.

How much of a fine do you get if you don't vote?
Lisa
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:33:45 PM

I think, from memory, it's something like a $50 fine if you don't vote.

I'm not allowed to vote because I'm not officially an Australian citizen, even though I've been here since I was four!
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 5:36:01 PM

Lisa wrote:

I'm not allowed to vote because I'm not officially an Australian citizen, even though I've been here since I was four!

What is keeping you from going, all the way, Lisa?

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Lisa
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 7:38:26 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
Lisa wrote:

What is keeping you from going, all the way, Lisa?

To be honest, nothing much! I just always find something else to spend the money on that it takes to become a citizen.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 10:26:17 PM

The only way I would agree with making voting compulsory would be if they added a box for each race labeled "None of the above."
nicola
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 10:29:36 PM

I have both British and Australian citizenship icon_smile

Quote:
What happens if I do not vote?

Initially the Australian Electoral Commission will write to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a reason for their failure to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within 21 days, the apparent non-voter fails to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or declines to pay the penalty, then prosecution proceedings may be instigated. If the matter is dealt with in court and the person is found guilty, he or she may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.
rxtales
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:57:25 AM

So do you have to vote for someone or can you just send in a blank vote?
nicola
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 1:53:50 PM

rxtales wrote:

The irritating thing is you have to go to the polling station on the day, wade through all the politicians and their minions trying to talk about their policies to you, then stand in a queue for an hour before they tick your name off against their list. What you then put on the ballot paper is down to you, I normally vote the greens and draw some flowers on mine.
smileatem
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:38:48 PM

Knew an australian doing some volunteer work in this country who explained all this - the most amazing thing was the voting paper was the size of a table cloth!
Reprehensiballs
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:29:42 PM

Sounds to me like they should be paying you to go there. What a shocking waste of time.

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
mercianknight
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:19:24 PM

nicola wrote:
rxtales wrote:

The irritating thing is you have to go to the polling station on the day, wade through all the politicians and their minions trying to talk about their policies to you, then stand in a queue for an hour before they tick your name off against their list. What you then put on the ballot paper is down to you, I normally vote the greens and draw some flowers on mine.

Not talking

I am shocked Nic.

The right to vote was a hard won right that should be cherished. Age old maxim "Didn't vote? Then quit bitchin." So yes, it should be compulsory, even a protest vote is worth submitting. It is your voice.

As for the 'time' it takes? Really? May I suggest a 'postal ballot' then - they'll even give them to you if you profess injury or disability preventing you from attending a polling station.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:15:01 AM

Actually as Australians we dont have to vote.....we do HAVE to turn up and get our names signed of as having turned up to vote but we can chose not to put anything on the ballot paper!

We just have to acknowledge that we went, ridiculous!!!!! a democracy that makes it compulsory to attend the poling station! apparently so i have been told it was due to the lack of interest in voting years past........In the UK its not compulsory and turn out to voting isnt the best but instead of making it compulsory the politicians will encourage people to vote by having people knock on doors and offer to drive the elderly or parents etc down to poling stations.

What pisses me off more than anything is the people who complain about the government but then turn round and say 'not my fault i never voted!'.........sorry if you don't vote you cant complain, you had your chance to try and alter things but wasted it!

must admit i don't understand the Australian system yet, cant understand why they dont use proportional representation like the UK.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:48:47 AM

In Missouri, we all vote...and some of us vote many times the same day. geek

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:08:12 AM

When large numbers can't be bothered to vote the politicians get worried so they make it compulsory.
obscura
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:51:16 AM

Compulsory voting would be a huge mistake, anywhere. It should remain a right, not a duty. People who are uninformed and will just select a random box and on the flipside you have informed people who don't support anything, probably for good reason.

nicola
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 3:00:42 PM

Well, my "Failure to Vote" notice came in the post yesterday. Now I have to write to them with an excuse why I didn't vote. The alternative, is I have to pay the whopping $20 fine. If they don't believe my story, it goes to court.

I find the ineptitude of Govt departments staggering. I bought a house in an area run by a totally different council. I am registered with the new council, I am paying rates with the new council. How come they haven't automatically put me on their electoral roll?

I wrote back something along the lines of; "I bought a house in XYZ, am paying rates here - by the time I realised that your various govt departments don't talk to each other, it was too late to do anything about it."

What should I wear to court? laughing6
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 3:46:02 PM

I'd forgo the push up bra and mini skirt.
xCindyx3
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 7:30:36 PM

I don't think that they should make voting compulsory... Some people don't follow politics at all and won't even know who or what they are voting for.

Just pick a random name that pops out to you? Some of my friends do that now angry7
SweetPenny
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 7:41:15 PM

I remember there was a poll after Clinton won the presidential election. People were asked why they voted for him and many responded, "Because he was better looking." Some people should not be allowed to vote.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 9:31:51 PM

nicola wrote:

What should I wear to court? laughing6

I have always thought you looked nice in jeans and that sweater. I dunno about the gum though.

nicola
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:25:03 AM

WellMadeMale wrote:
I have always thought you looked nice in jeans and that sweater. I dunno about the gum though.

You "so" have the wrong impression of what I look like.

Not heard back yet, I'd like to go to court, I've heard it's an experience.
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:09:57 AM

Yeah, I would definitely disagree with compulsory voting - because I think it's morally wrong to force people to do something like that, because I think it'd be a huge waste of gov't resources, and because then I would have to be at the polls longer! :p

I voted in the local elections the other week, and I was there for about 15 minutes. Talk about wham, bam, thank you ma'am! hahaha
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:06:59 AM

nicola wrote:
WellMadeMale wrote:

You "so" have the wrong impression of what I look like.

Not heard back yet, I'd like to go to court, I've heard it's an experience.

Forget Chef's advice, wear the push-up bra and mini skirt but send me a pic first - just for my opinion of course, I have oodles of experience in what you should wear. evil4

Actually, for the type of thing you are facing I imagine it will be basic Magistrates/Plea Court full of aromatic trailer trash. Wear a clothes peg for your nose, Nic. Really. It's not nice - just send them a cheque. coffee

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw