Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Labels in Today's World Options · View
Woman
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:15:03 PM

Labels.

I really cannot stand the term.

I really do not like to think that anyone can really be boxed into a category. But then again, I am the type of person who really is not all that strong on one point or another if I can see and understand where a person is coming from. If they get all preachy holier than thou-ishy? I get a little on a high horse and take whatever side I can get. But that is a different story. And that is a dead horse the need not be beaten any more.

So I got to thinking when Mister Felix in the thread about Violent Criminals said that is an idealist thought, and he mentioned liberal which made me think of conservatism and all those ism's and labels that people give themselves or go to professionals and get "knighted'' with a label.

Yup for in my personal opinion, in today's world people seem to need a label to help define them. I've read a few medieval romance novels (ok, many many many in my youth) where a young man had a need to be knighted and called "sir" which is all fine and dandy, but it just seems that in today's world, the doctors are the kings of the kingdoms, and everyone wants a label to further identify themselves.

So I propose a new topic for this here me favourite section of the Forums I have been on (yup. What can I say. Using my brain turns me on and I love it!!!!). Here are some questions, if you can answer the questions then support your answer in essay like for and I shall mark it. Blah. hard to stop being a teacher.

1. How do you identify yourself when it comes to labels? ie: personality style, political views, survivor, any sort of -isms? (and nymphoism's do not count!!!!) ADD's, OCD disorders etc...

2. Do you feel that labels are important? Be they right wing/left wing, liberal/conservative, introvert/extrovert, survivor/victim? (My sister in America was telling me about this boy in her daughters kindergarten class, he is disruptive and loud, refuses to work, steals from the other students; when my sister complained for her daughter is now sporting a bruise on her face from this boy hitting her, the teacher said something along the lines of, there is nothing we can do he has ADHD, and control issue blah blah blah... but the kid it seems, enjoys chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk for breakfast as that is the only thing he will eat.) Should people should be allowed to ''hide'' behind the labels people put on people?

3. How do you feel about society as a whole becoming too politically correct? Hyper sensitive? Touchy feely?

Enjoy!!! I really look forward to your answers!!!!

w

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:23:46 PM

Labels are meant for attitudes and are not representative of the whole complex personality. I reckon I might give you a good idea of my personality with a long list of labels but certainly not a few.

Old and self opinionated; Judgemental yet slow to conclude; Slow to anger not confrontational;
Right wing but soft hearted; Easygoing on self but hard on others; Stupidly generous at times;
Sexually repressed hence a fetishist; Scruffy but clean; Steady not easily depressed or elated;
English and narrow-minded; Very big ego but small mind; Unwilling to cede a point;
Moved by natures beauty (who isn't); Self important ( how will the world do without ME);
Angry ( because I'm not appreciated); Nice ( If I've something to gain).

So give me break I'm almost normal.
Woman
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:13:32 PM

I also meant to ask about labels such as bi/gay/lesbian as well in my first post.

And yesterday in recovery, I got to thinking while the drugs were wearing off... how hard would it be when someone labels you in one group to show them that is not how you think of yourself??

I'll post a little before I must dash off.

My bottom line when it comes to labels is they are pointless. People trying to put people into little pigeon boxes when in reality... we are constantly evolving. Changing. If someone puts you in a little box as a child, and expects you to grow into adult hood while living in that box, you are stunted. Stunted in so many ways. If we know this happens physically to a live being, would it not make sense to reason that when one is "classified" as a person, that they would be stunted?

My recent jaunt into the hospital yesterday for a surgery made me realise, that as much as I try not to label, I have as well. I've always thought of Chinese hospitals as dirty, ugly, poorly kept places. And to be honest, scared to the point of panic attacking that I might need surgery here in this country.

Yesterday, I had to have a minor operation, where yes. They drugged me up and knocked me out naked on the slab. Thank goodness the room was warm is all I must say. It was not as sterile as what I am used to in the West, was not as modern or as clean as the West... but oddly comforting in some ways. The surgeons were fun, the nurses amazing. I'd not thought about maybe I was pre-judging them and the work that they do and putting them into a little category in my mind. Of the negative sort.

But thankfully, as I mentioned we have the ability to evolve and to change the way we think and to change how we see things. I for one, am (ok... I mean this wincing as I am still wanting to give them a tongue lashing of their version of no pain afterwards leaves much room for interruption or Chinese women who have had this surgery have no sensations in their vaginal regions), kind of glad that I get to change a preconceived thought I had with Chinese hospitals and surgeons.

I shall return later on to answer my own questions...

And Deadlogger??? Is not "normal" a label too? And it is boring to be this thing everyone calls normal!!!!!! Be you! Not everyone else!!!

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Rontre
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 6:28:09 AM

I think the perception of what is normal for some people could be quite abnormal for others. Every person is unique in their own way & this is what makes the world so interesting. I grew up in the 60's & 70's & I guess you could say that I'm still a bit of the non conformist that I so was many years ago. I try to be respectful to the authority figures & at the same time cautious & hesitant to trust. I could cite reasons why but that belongs in a different thread. I was in the prison system in the 1970's so I'll have to carry the label of "felon" with me until I'm put into the Urn. Not anything that i'm proud of for sure. I'm just stating the facts. I have a tendency to lean toward the left; however politics to me is one of the most corrupt occupations a person could ever be involved in. It's something that I care not to discuss. I'm much older than the average member here at lush but to me age is "just a number." I'm single but in a relationship & straight. My S.O. is 44 years old today & she is what's keeping me young. Easy to get along with. Honest.Generous. I'll give you anything that I have if you need it. Steal from me & we're going to have a problem. Reserve the right to politely disagree but I'll still respect your opinion. Recovering Opiate addict. Diagnosed as Bipolar with an anxiety disorder & suffering from depression. Quit the medications for them almost three years ago. Father, Grandfather & Great Grandfather. Liberal & open minded. To sum it all up, no I do not think that labels are all that important. What is important is how you conduct your lifestyle now. Live & let live. Don't bother me & I won't bother you. And that boy in Woman's nieces kindergarten class; he needs a good old fashioned ass kicking. That's part of the problem these days. You "discipline" your own child & you are subject to end up in jail. Just a swat on the ass is all I'm talking about
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 10:14:10 AM

I'm somewhere in the middle of liberal and conservative. I don't agree 100% with either way of thinking or politics or whatever you want to call it. I think it's dumb to blindly follow anything.

I think labels are necessary though just to be able to have conversations.

It's just easier to say:

Harry: Jane told me she's gay yesterday

Dick: Oh...

Instead of:

Harry: Jane said she only goes out with girls.

Dick: What does that mean?

Harry: I don't know I asked her out and that's what she said.

Dick: You think she's like one of those girls that only has sex with other girls?

Harry: maybe, she must be if she doesn't want me.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 7:50:31 PM

I agree that labels are necessary in many ways. We use them to give us simpler ways to think about complex subjects, and after all what could be more complex than another human being? I'm sure there are many people here on Lush that have quite a wide assortment of labels they use to describe me! Labels give us reference points, places to compare things against each other. People can be tall or short, thin or wide, dark or light. Maggie can be much prettier than Aggie, or vice versa. This car is fast, while that car is luxurious. I honestly can't see how people could even function without using labels in their everyday life, in some way.

Personally, the main label I'd use to describe myself is "unconventional."
Woman
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:56:32 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:
Personally, the main label I'd use to describe myself is "unconventional."

I am who I am. Someone wise once said that (yup, I've an ego or so it seems).

I do see where you are all coming from and it does make sense. But where I cannot stand it, is when people see labels as black or white. Where I see the world as all grey. Nothing is all black and nothing is all white. A person is never just one; within each person there are countless personalities. When you are here on Lush, you let one part of your personality shine. And that personality is different than when you are with your family, that one is different when you are with your friends and even different when you are around your colleagues and so on and so on.

Does not labeling make it black or white and box you in?