Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Giving up coffee for a month Options · View
nicola
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:08:47 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,291
Location: In the Spring Blooms, United Kingdom
In a bid to improve my inner health, I'm going to stop drinking coffee (well, caffeinated coffee as a start - decaf for a week, then none) for a month. I've not done this since I first started drinking coffee regularly, probably 1985.

http://www.squidoo.com/CoffeeHarm

A few cups per day are fine judging by the research, however I've been consuming probably 3-4 per day for a long time, and want to cut it out. Coffee is particularly bad for your kidneys - along with red wine, another of my favourite vices I need to cut back on 3601

I've read that caffeine is the main ingredient in coffee to do harm, particularly to the nervous system, however decaf isn't that much better from the looks of things: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-decaffeinated-coffee-bad-for-you.html (and it still contains up to 3% of the caffeine).

A friend of mine did it successfully and stayed off coffee for months and months. One day she had a cup of caffeinated coffee served to her by accident, and said she was shaking at the end of it.

Has anyone tried to do this themselves? coffee

Guest
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:28:39 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
I used to drink coffee by the carload. It started effecting, or is that affecting, my stomach in a bad way so I just quit. Didn't seem to really bother me all that much but, I've known people really addicted to the caffeine. If you are, can I request vacation time until it's all over?


sprite
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:28:55 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 16,669
Location: My Tower, United States
i have, Nic. i am, admittedly, addicted to the stuff, but everyonce in a while i try to just go cold turkey - it's never pretty - i get headaches for a bit and i get really irratable and feel run down until my body adjusts... usually, it's not long before i give up and vow that i will just drink less of the stuff, but then, that never lasts either and i am back on the juice - i HAVE managed to cut down in the last few years, tho, and now i think my intake is pretty sane :)

Live, love, laugh.
tommie
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:49:39 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/10/2009
Posts: 549
Location: Somewhere, Germany
No coffee?? *shudders* never!
Lisa
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:07:56 PM

Rank: Moderator

Joined: 3/3/2009
Posts: 5,168
Location: Victoria, Australia
At most I drink a cup of coffee a day, and some days I don't have any.

I usually drink green tea, but that has caffeine in it too, so I'm not sure how I'd go giving up caffeine all together.
lovely_lady
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:12:26 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/1/2009
Posts: 1,100
Location: melbourne
I wouldnt last. I dont function well without coffee in the morning.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:36:19 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,598
Location: Your dirty fantasy
Wow... I probably have about three cups of coffee a month.

When I'm exhausted and I need that burst of energy, I'll have a coffee or double espresso and I'm ridiculously wired. It's the same as indulging in Red Bull. I like to save it for those times that I need it and then I know it will work perfectly.

I've never been a huge coffee fanatic. I can take it or leave it....

nicola
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:07:13 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,291
Location: In the Spring Blooms, United Kingdom
chefkathleen wrote:
I used to drink coffee by the carload. It started effecting, or is that affecting, my stomach in a bad way so I just quit. Didn't seem to really bother me all that much but, I've known people really addicted to the caffeine. If you are, can I request vacation time until it's all over?


I have a similar issue, and have been told to cut back on coffee and alcohol in particular. A double whammy.

I don't have any cravings at all today which is a good sign, and am no more irritable than normal laughing9
Guest
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:26:10 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
I am not a coffee drinker...but I used to be a Pepsi-a-holic. When I started cutting back..I got really bad headaches. It sucked, but eventually my body adjusted!

Good luck, Nicola, you are a brave woman!!

Sassy (:
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 8:12:11 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
I was a heavy coffee drinker for many years. Then, about 2 months ago, I quit. I weaned myself off of it slowly for a few days. Even with that, I still felt terrible for about 2 days after I quit. This was followed by 2 weeks of feeling tired and having some mild physical withdrawal symptoms. But after that, the fog lifted, and I am now very glad I quit. My energy level generally is much higher and more stable. I no longer experience the daily roller coaster of ups and downs caused by the caffeine. I'm eating less, and even losing some weight. And I've broken my unhealthy relationship with a certain Seattle-based corporate giant. Overall, a definite improvement.

I don't know whether my experience is typical or not. But I do think it is worth at least trying. Just be prepared to "gut it out" for a couple of weeks before you start to really see the upside.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 9:30:52 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,843
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
nicola wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
I used to drink coffee by the carload. It started effecting, or is that affecting, my stomach in a bad way so I just quit. Didn't seem to really bother me all that much but, I've known people really addicted to the caffeine. If you are, can I request vacation time until it's all over?


I have a similar issue, and have been told to cut back on coffee and alcohol in particular. A double whammy.

I don't have any cravings at all today which is a good sign, and am no more irritable than normal laughing9


OMG! You were told to cut back on both coffee and alcohol??? OMG...that would be my worst nightmare...I would die...
Nothing in a Stephen King novel or Dante's Inferno could match the horror...
OMG...my heart goes out to you, my deepest sympathy...

I need a drink now...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Nikki703
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 9:42:08 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/7/2009
Posts: 13,813
Location: The Other Side Of The Mirror
Dancing_Doll wrote:
Wow... I probably have about three cups of coffee a month.

When I'm exhausted and I need that burst of energy, I'll have a coffee or double espresso and I'm ridiculously wired. It's the same as indulging in Red Bull. I like to save it for those times that I need it and then I know it will work perfectly.

I've never been a huge coffee fanatic. I can take it or leave it....


I not sure I have had 3 cups of coffee in my life! Just don't like the taste, but love the smell of fresh brewed coffee. Go Figure!!

But could never give up tea or Diet Coke!!!
LusciousLola
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 9:59:05 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/5/2010
Posts: 2,907
Nic

I feel that if you have been able to go from regular to decaff you can make it. I love having a hot drink in the morning, it is the best part of my morning routine. A nice cup of herbal tea is an excellent replacement for coffee, once you are off the caffeine.

Good luck!
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 10:55:58 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
Nic,

Congrats if you can do this. At times I feel like a cop with the amount of coffee that I do drink. A radio jock has nothing else to do all day... so I know I would fail badly. I tried once and it was like I just tried to quit smoking.. I got bad headaches.. and a case of the bitchiness.. something I shall not attempt again.
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:46:48 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
I think it would be like cutting off my fingers. Do not think I could function without coffee in the morning. I have cut down from about 5 cups to 2, but never go all the way. Hope you can do it, especially if it is for your health. Good Luck.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 12:32:37 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,471
Location: Cakeland, United States
nicola wrote:
Has anyone tried to do this themselves? coffee


I read in a medical journal a few years ago that there was a correlation between 'some' heavy drinkers of coffee which showed those people involved in that particular study, were also heavy alcohol imbibers.

I've cut down a lot on my alcohol intake. But I still drink a pot or more a day of coffee. I once went four months without coffee or cigarettes. Cold turkey.

The first week I was miserable. After that, it was a walk in the park - I had a few other things to worry more about, heheh.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
rxtales
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:25:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 11/28/2008
Posts: 2,589
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
I gave up drinking coffee. At one point I was on 6-8 cups a day. Around the time I quit, I was only drinking a couple. I have a lot of problems sleeping, so have decided to cut all caffeine out of my diet.

Occasionally in the morning I have some type of green tea if I need a boost. It has far less caffeine, but mostly I take Spirulina when I need a lift, and it doesn't stop me from sleeping
myself
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:29:50 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
nicola wrote:
In a bid to improve my inner health, I'm going to stop drinking coffee (well, caffeinated coffee as a start - decaf for a week, then none) for a month. I've not done this since I first started drinking coffee regularly, probably 1985.

http://www.squidoo.com/CoffeeHarm

A few cups per day are fine judging by the research, however I've been consuming probably 3-4 per day for a long time, and want to cut it out. Coffee is particularly bad for your kidneys - along with red wine, another of my favourite vices I need to cut back on 3601

I've read that caffeine is the main ingredient in coffee to do harm, particularly to the nervous system, however decaf isn't that much better from the looks of things: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-decaffeinated-coffee-bad-for-you.html (and it still contains up to 3% of the caffeine).

A friend of mine did it successfully and stayed off coffee for months and months. One day she had a cup of caffeinated coffee served to her by accident, and said she was shaking at the end of it.

Has anyone tried to do this themselves? coffee



How's it going? : )

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
nicola
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 3:09:21 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,291
Location: In the Spring Blooms, United Kingdom
myself wrote:
How's it going? : )


The decaf just isn't doing it for me...but it's helping a little. It's early days!
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 3:50:39 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
I suggest taking it down by a cup a day so if you are having 4 then 3 for a week. Then lessen it until you can have one cup every other day and slowly wean yourself off. I found tea really helped me.I had to cut down because the coffee was giving me really bad headaches. So slowly not cold turkey because like most things if you just cut it out you might get headaches and other craving symptoms.
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 3:51:50 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
Good point Lois. Some people can't do cold turkey in quitting things.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 3:51:54 PM

Rank: Divine Rapscallion

Joined: 8/15/2010
Posts: 3,018
Location: On the ragged edge of disaster
nicola wrote:
The decaf just isn't doing it for me...but it's helping a little. It's early days!

It's tough to go cold turkey. I'd try mixing decaf and regular for a while, little by little increasing the ratio of decaf to regular until you're drinking straight decaf. Then you should be able to give it up completely with no adverse side effects.

Actually, most of the articles I've read about coffee in the past year are about its health benefits, not risks. I understand if you need to give it up, though; my husband can't drink coffee at all, even decaf, because of stomach problems.

Maggie Rascal
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 3:56:18 PM

Rank: Divine Rapscallion

Joined: 8/15/2010
Posts: 3,018
Location: On the ragged edge of disaster
Loislane wrote:
I suggest taking it down by a cup a day so if you are having 4 then 3 for a week. Then lessen it until you can have one cup every other day and slowly wean yourself off. I found tea really helped me.I had to cut down because the coffee was giving me really bad headaches. So slowly not cold turkey because like most things if you just cut it out you might get headaches and other craving symptoms.

LOL - I was typing my reply as you posted this. Stepping down is a good idea, however it's done, I think.

Maggie Rascal
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 6:59:36 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
I love coffee but have always been more of a tea drinker so to give up coffee probs wouldn't change me that much :p
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:25:08 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 674,143
WHAT??!! Give up coffee??? ...somebody better have a set of jumper cables and a damn strong battery at the ready. I kick-start my day (actually - body) with a strong cup every morning and couldn't imagine starting without it. It's become the norm. And as for going cold turkey - good luck Nicola - may the force be with you luv - LOL - good luck
mercianknight
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:01:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/11/2009
Posts: 2,027
Location: whispering conspiratorially in your ear, Bermuda
First up, let me say that I was drinking up to 10-12 mugs of coffee a day and it was all down to my profession. I never knew how 'addicted' to caffeine my body was until I read an article on the damaging effects of too much coffee about 5 or 6 years ago so decided to go 'cold turkey'.

OMG - what was I thinking!! I had the shakes, intense migraines, the works for about 2 weeks as my body cleansed itself. Don't even kid yourself that decaf works, it didn't.

Anyway, I still drink coffee, but deliberately limit myself to one, possibly two in the morning. That leaves me free to enjoy a cuppa tea at around 3pm.

Best of luck Nic.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
nicola
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:33:17 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,291
Location: In the Spring Blooms, United Kingdom
Day 3: cussing
SweetPenny
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:36:34 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/15/2010
Posts: 1,274
Location: State of Confusion
one day at a time
Butterfly
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:53:34 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/21/2008
Posts: 1,238
Location: fluttering about , United States
Good luck to ya, Nicola.

I know it can be difficult, even though I've never been a fan of coffee (maybe drank the stuff twice in my lifetime), my hubby was a big time coffee drinker and favored the Columbian dark roast stuff. Almost a pot he would go through every morning for quite a few years. He started having bad stomach troubles and figured out it was from drinking so much coffee for so many years. He didn't quit cold turkey but weaned himself off pretty much over the course of a couple of weeks and then was done with it for good. He was still a bear to deal with some mornings for a while lol. That was a couple of years ago. The stomach problems lessened dramatically, he still gets a caffeine fix with tea or soda here and there...but he says he doesn't miss the coffee at all anymore.
subtle_mischief
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:03:42 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/30/2010
Posts: 19
Location: Netherlands
Aww Good Luck with this venture! *hugs*

I hope it is something you can achieve, and I'm sure with all this support you will do just fine :) I can't say I've ever been in the same position - I just love Hot Chocolate and Squash buy the bottles :P You should make a diary or something to help with your thoughts/frustrations and you'll look back and giggle at them ;)

SM x

"Love is when the way their tears make You want to change the world so that it doesn't hurt them anymore."

" I Love when it rains, because then no one can see just how hard I am truly crying."
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.