last reply
25 replies
10.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
First Person Smartass
0 likes
From Phil Phantom’s: “Guide to Writing Good Trash"
-- I know, you hate to think of your writing as trash, but if done well, others will. If done poorly, your magnificent creation is just crap, shit, or garbage. Excellent trash can rise to the level of good shit, but you and your good shit will never be studied in English Lit. As for riches, sure, but it helps if you are wealthy when you start.

Guide to Punctuating for the Reading Impaired

Okay, so you wan'na rite reel good.

Good use of punctuation is key to effective communication, even in trash, especially in trash. You may think trash is easy to write, but trash is the most difficult to write well. When you write about sex, passion, erotic feelings, and powerful emotions, you are taking on a major communication challenge. When you add scenery and a large cast of characters, you are taking on a writing challenge that makes "Moby Dick" look like a fishing trip to Lake Wannapoopoo.

Melville hardly needed any punctuation until they caught up with the whale. Mark Twain, in fact, used no punctuation. After his editor chastised him for this, Twain sent in a page full of periods, commas, colons, semi-colons and such with the following note:

"Here is the punctuation marks you wanted put them where you want them"

I can make punctuation easy for you. Simply imagine that all of your readers suffer from a condition called Myopic Un-Mitigated Balance of biLateral Equilibrium (MUMBLE). They move their lips when they read.

Actually, they silently speak what they read. They need punctuation in order to breathe properly. Long paragraphs of run-on sentences cause them to pass out. Please consider these unfortunates when you write. Although writing without punctuation or proper capitalization is no reflection on a person's intelligence or education, doing so is inconsiderate of people who suffer from mumbleopia. They knew nothing about mumbleopia in Twain's day. He had an excuse; we don't. MUMBLErs (as they prefer to be called) suffer in silent neglect.

ALL CAPS is like shouting. Writing in all caps causes swelling of the inner ear which presses on the cerebral cortex, leading to a loss of bladder and rectal control. Avoid using all caps for more than a few words in a row, even during explosive orgasms.

PERIODS allow a MUMBLEr to breathe. Sprinkle a few in each paragraph. Mumbleopiacs don't care where, but after each complete thought is generally a good idea.
-- (Note: Follow a period with a sentence or paragraph that starts with a capital letter. MUMBLErs breathe out on the period and breathe in when they see the capital letter.)

COMMAS don't give time to breathe, but do give the lips a rest. Severe lip injury can result from long sentences with no commas. On the other hand, overuse of commas is the leading cause of stuttering in mumbleopiacs.
-- (Note: You probably had a teacher who advised (as a rule of thumb) place a comma where a natural pause seems right. That teacher didn't write trash, or good trash. Commas have a purpose. Commas separate items in a series, phrases in a series, an introductory phrase, a parenthetical expression, nice-to-know shit you don't really need, or a person being addressed. You don't just slap them where you feel like it or omit them where they are needed. We all need commas to make sense out of a complex sentence in a crazy, mixed-up, tumble-down world.)

SEMI-COLONS are better than commas for easing lip fatigue but do not allow for the taking of a breath. Use them sparingly to separate short sentences that beat the same drum.

DASHES signal a pause - so mumbleopiacs take advantage and snatch a dash of oxygen.

HYPHENS join words to make a combo word, like "that no-pussy-eating wimp." Also ex-this, ex-that. MUMBLErs seem to be ambivalent toward the hyphen.

ELLIPSES MARKS (...) are like speed bumps on a page. In proper English usage, they signal omitted (or skipped) material, but they make a MUMBLEr's head rapidly bounce three times. Never get carried away with those dots as speed-reading mumbleopiacs have lost contact lenses and jarred fillings loose when they hit multiple periods, ie: ....................
-- (Note: Grammar pinheads get all twisted when you use their precious ellipses dots as indicators of long periods of silence. In our field of literature, we need this tool as sex often involves long periods of silence. Mouths are often occupied and the writer has to wait. Most will keep tapping the dot key while waiting the suckers out. Readers of trash, shit, crap, and garbage have learned to ignore three dots as meaning omitted material, because fuck and suck stories don't omit anything.)

COLONS introduce lists of shit. MUMBLErs and proctologists know to take a deep breath when they see a colon.

EXCLAMATION POINTS raise the eyebrows of mumbleopiacs but do no lasting harm unless repeated after every statement or used in multiples. Overuse of EPs can lead to nervous brow twitching. Multiple EPs (!!!!!!) have caused the eyebrows of some mumbleopiacs to migrate to the top of the head.
-- (Note: Here, again, we give the pinheads fits with our multiple EPs. Fuck 'em. If that is your style, go for it. Me, I prefer to go to CAPS when the hubby walks in and finds the wife in bed with her mom. I think "WOW!" is better than "Wow!!!!! and WOW!!!!!! should be reserved for those times when you catch your wife and mother in a threesome with Bigfoot.")

QUESTION MARKS wrinkle the brow and bring the eyebrows down and in. Question marks should never be sandwiched between two EP sentences! Never leave a question unanswered. The answer allows the individual to slap the forehead and re-align the eyebrows (note that hyphen).

PARENTHESIS If something isn't all that important, (nice to know stuff, but you can live without it,) put it inside a set of parenthesis. In long sentences, a MUMBLEr who is running out of breath knows he can jump over this part in a pinch.

APOSTROPHIES thrill a MUMBLEr as they know you are omitting letters, words, and sometimes, bunches of words. For instance, "them" can be shortened to "'em," and spitting can be spittin', and in words that show possession, ie: "Mary's ball" replaces "the ball that belongs to Mary." Thrill a mumbleopiac; use apostrophes.

QUOTATION MARKS also thrill mumbleopiacs as they signify a speaker speaking. Very often, they are familiar with the speaker and can simply inject, "blah, blah, blah," or "yadah, yadah, yadah," and move right along.

And finally, a word on PARAGRAPHS.

Every new speaker gets his or her own paragraph, even if all he or she has to say is, "Huh?" Try to keep paragraphs short and sweet. Lump all of your (character's) related thoughts into one paragraph and start a new one when you get another thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Note from Morgan ~
Every new speakers' ACTIONS go in the same paragraph as their DIALOGUE. I have seen one too many lines of dialogue 'stranded', just hanging out all by its lonesome, staring at the action done by that speaker in the very next paragraph. Take pity on your poor Dialogue and put it with its Actions.

One other thing; if John licks Mary's nipples and Mary moans... John's licking and Mary's moaning do NOT go in the Same Sentence! They don't go in the same Paragraph either!

John wriggled his tongue across Mary's nipples.

Mary moaned, and gasped. "Oh God! That is so good!" She grabbed his head to pull him closer.

John yelped. "Hey, watch the hair!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paragraph breaks allow MUMBLErs to go to the bathroom. This also helps those who read from a scrolling monitor.

And another thing. Hit the return key twice following each paragraph. That places white space between paragraphs. Do not indent or tab. Keep it clean; keep it tight; just like pussy. (Note the use of the semi-colon with short sentences, and this don't-really-need-to-know shit I placed in parenthesis along with a combo word I made using the hyphens.)

Thank you for your attention.

Copyright Phil Phantom (C) 2003

May he rest in peace.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.
Morgan Hawke's DarkErotica ~ My Website
DarkErotica Blog ~ My Writers' blog

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yet another reason I adore you! Great info.
Tracy Ames
Erotic Word Slinger & Smarty Pants
InterracialErotica.net ~ My Website
Rants & Rambles ~ My Youtube Channel

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
E. L. Doctorow
First Person Smartass
0 likes
Quote by TracyAmes
Yet another reason I adore you! Great info.

Glad you liked it!
-- THIS was the first guide to punctuation that I actually remembered, simply because it made me laugh so hard.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.

Albert Einstein
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MorganHawke
Glad you liked it!-- THIS was the first guide to punctuation that I actually remembered, simply because it made me laugh so hard.

Exactly! The glaringly obvious and humorous are always the easiest to remember. lol
Tracy Ames
Erotic Word Slinger & Smarty Pants
InterracialErotica.net ~ My Website
Rants & Rambles ~ My Youtube Channel

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
E. L. Doctorow
Matriarch
0 likes
Some sound advice there, written in a very witty manner.

RIP indeed.
First Person Smartass
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Some sound advice there, written in a very witty manner.

RIP indeed.

It's a terrible shame that his writing articles have pretty much disappeared off the 'net. I posted them on my home site so they wouldn't be lost to new writers.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.

Albert Einstein
Lurker
0 likes
Well, fuck! Morgan...(just had to do it) you seem to know what you're talking about! This was one of the funniest pieces I've read here! I'm still laughing...(casually rubbing my hairy chest) at your use of language descibing the mumbling folks that are sitting in the library across from me now.

I can't see the book cover from here, but I can see lips moving, and the breathing you describe is 'spot on'.

It must have something to do with sex as eyebrows raise and fall, accompanied by massive amounts of lip licking.

Maybe they're just thirsty.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks so much for posting this and for keeping his "Guide to Writing Good Trash" alive on your site.
An old favorite story of mine: The Chaise Lounge
Sophisticate
0 likes
As a new mod here, I thank you. This is an understandable and funny primer for those who need it. If there were a Pulitzer for punctuation, you would be nominated.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by principessa
As a new mod here, I thank you. This is an understandable and funny primer for those who need it. If there were a Pulitzer for punctuation, you would be nominated.

I foresee lots of links to the post in the future...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I now sit thinking back to forth grade as Mrs. Grumble smacks her thick, heavy, glistening yardstick across my desk.

"Someday you're going to end up writing trashy, steamy erotica on some erotic literature web site!"

"What's a web site?" I asked fully expecting to feel the wrath of Mrs. Grumble's big stick. "Our phone is bolted to the kitchen wall still."... <-- note speed bumps
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Ha ha! Thank you.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Head Nurse
0 likes
I am attaching a link for formatting dialog, something that is commonly also needed, for all those I have sent here.

Dialog format
Weaver of Words
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse
I am attaching a link for formatting dialog, something that is commonly also needed, for all those I have sent here.

Dialog format

Interesting article. Thanks for providing it for us Diana.
Head Nurse
0 likes
This is one of the best written explanations of punctuation I have seen. I am bumping it up hoping that all the new authors will see it!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Great Article. Still Laughing. What a great way to get the message across in a way that will be remembered, with humor! Thanks so much for sharing Phil Phantom’s: “Guide to Writing Good Trash". I'm getting ready to write some of my own stories and am glad I came to visit the Forum for writing tips! This is a great start on my education. smile
A horny couple, a few spices, a LOT of FUN

Hope you will check out my first story - Kitty Kapers - A Well Seasoned Woman

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/kitty-kapers-a-well-seasoned-woman.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
This is absolutely hilarious, thank you for sharing! smile
Lurker
0 likes
A most entertaining forum post. Hilariously funny, witty and helpful.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I understand the proper use of grammar and punctuation. However it seems to me they changed things a bit. For example a year ago I was told semi-colon was proper for leading into speech,...now its not.? I was also told I should not use the slang word 'cum', its come. How freaking picky. I know that my stories need edited at times. I strive to be a better writer. But when one mod says its great another shoots my story full if holes. I really fed up and about to delete my account. I have all the articles, a good editing program, plus a newspaper editor. And still I get picky moderators. Sorry needed to vent.
HUGS & MORE
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Quote by MorganHawke
-- I know, you hate to think of your writing as trash, but if done well, others will. If done poorly, your magnificent creation is just crap, shit, or garbage. Excellent trash can rise to the level of good shit, but you and your good shit will never be studied in English Lit. As for riches, sure, but it helps if you are wealthy when you start.

Okay, so you wan'na rite reel good.

Good use of punctuation is key to effective communication, even in trash, especially in trash. You may think trash is easy to write, but trash is the most difficult to write well. When you write about sex, passion, erotic feelings, and powerful emotions, you are taking on a major communication challenge. When you add scenery and a large cast of characters, you are taking on a writing challenge that makes "Moby Dick" look like a fishing trip to Lake Wannapoopoo.

Melville hardly needed any punctuation until they caught up with the whale. Mark Twain, in fact, used no punctuation. After his editor chastised him for this, Twain sent in a page full of periods, commas, colons, semi-colons and such with the following note:

"Here is the punctuation marks you wanted put them where you want them"

I can make punctuation easy for you. Simply imagine that all of your readers suffer from a condition called Myopic Un-Mitigated Balance of biLateral Equilibrium (MUMBLE). They move their lips when they read.

Actually, they silently speak what they read. They need punctuation in order to breathe properly. Long paragraphs of run-on sentences cause them to pass out. Please consider these unfortunates when you write. Although writing without punctuation or proper capitalization is no reflection on a person's intelligence or education, doing so is inconsiderate of people who suffer from mumbleopia. They knew nothing about mumbleopia in Twain's day. He had an excuse; we don't. MUMBLErs (as they prefer to be called) suffer in silent neglect.

ALL CAPS is like shouting. Writing in all caps causes swelling of the inner ear which presses on the cerebral cortex, leading to a loss of bladder and rectal control. Avoid using all caps for more than a few words in a row, even during explosive orgasms.

PERIODS allow a MUMBLEr to breathe. Sprinkle a few in each paragraph. Mumbleopiacs don't care where, but after each complete thought is generally a good idea.
-- (Note: Follow a period with a sentence or paragraph that starts with a capital letter. MUMBLErs breathe out on the period and breathe in when they see the capital letter.)

COMMAS don't give time to breathe, but do give the lips a rest. Severe lip injury can result from long sentences with no commas. On the other hand, overuse of commas is the leading cause of stuttering in mumbleopiacs.
-- (Note: You probably had a teacher who advised (as a rule of thumb) place a comma where a natural pause seems right. That teacher didn't write trash, or good trash. Commas have a purpose. Commas separate items in a series, phrases in a series, an introductory phrase, a parenthetical expression, nice-to-know shit you don't really need, or a person being addressed. You don't just slap them where you feel like it or omit them where they are needed. We all need commas to make sense out of a complex sentence in a crazy, mixed-up, tumble-down world.)

SEMI-COLONS are better than commas for easing lip fatigue but do not allow for the taking of a breath. Use them sparingly to separate short sentences that beat the same drum.

DASHES signal a pause - so mumbleopiacs take advantage and snatch a dash of oxygen.

HYPHENS join words to make a combo word, like "that no-pussy-eating wimp." Also ex-this, ex-that. MUMBLErs seem to be ambivalent toward the hyphen.

ELLIPSES MARKS (...) are like speed bumps on a page. In proper English usage, they signal omitted (or skipped) material, but they make a MUMBLEr's head rapidly bounce three times. Never get carried away with those dots as speed-reading mumbleopiacs have lost contact lenses and jarred fillings loose when they hit multiple periods, ie: ....................
-- (Note: Grammar pinheads get all twisted when you use their precious ellipses dots as indicators of long periods of silence. In our field of literature, we need this tool as sex often involves long periods of silence. Mouths are often occupied and the writer has to wait. Most will keep tapping the dot key while waiting the suckers out. Readers of trash, shit, crap, and garbage have learned to ignore three dots as meaning omitted material, because fuck and suck stories don't omit anything.)

COLONS introduce lists of shit. MUMBLErs and proctologists know to take a deep breath when they see a colon.

EXCLAMATION POINTS raise the eyebrows of mumbleopiacs but do no lasting harm unless repeated after every statement or used in multiples. Overuse of EPs can lead to nervous brow twitching. Multiple EPs (!!!!!!) have caused the eyebrows of some mumbleopiacs to migrate to the top of the head.
-- (Note: Here, again, we give the pinheads fits with our multiple EPs. Fuck 'em. If that is your style, go for it. Me, I prefer to go to CAPS when the hubby walks in and finds the wife in bed with her mom. I think "WOW!" is better than "Wow!!!!! and WOW!!!!!! should be reserved for those times when you catch your wife and mother in a threesome with Bigfoot.")

QUESTION MARKS wrinkle the brow and bring the eyebrows down and in. Question marks should never be sandwiched between two EP sentences! Never leave a question unanswered. The answer allows the individual to slap the forehead and re-align the eyebrows (note that hyphen).

PARENTHESIS If something isn't all that important, (nice to know stuff, but you can live without it,) put it inside a set of parenthesis. In long sentences, a MUMBLEr who is running out of breath knows he can jump over this part in a pinch.

APOSTROPHIES thrill a MUMBLEr as they know you are omitting letters, words, and sometimes, bunches of words. For instance, "them" can be shortened to "'em," and spitting can be spittin', and in words that show possession, ie: "Mary's ball" replaces "the ball that belongs to Mary." Thrill a mumbleopiac; use apostrophes.

QUOTATION MARKS also thrill mumbleopiacs as they signify a speaker speaking. Very often, they are familiar with the speaker and can simply inject, "blah, blah, blah," or "yadah, yadah, yadah," and move right along.

And finally, a word on PARAGRAPHS.

Every new speaker gets his or her own paragraph, even if all he or she has to say is, "Huh?" Try to keep paragraphs short and sweet. Lump all of your (character's) related thoughts into one paragraph and start a new one when you get another thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Note from Morgan ~
Every new speakers' ACTIONS go in the same paragraph as their DIALOGUE. I have seen one too many lines of dialogue 'stranded', just hanging out all by its lonesome, staring at the action done by that speaker in the very next paragraph. Take pity on your poor Dialogue and put it with its Actions.

One other thing; if John licks Mary's nipples and Mary moans... John's licking and Mary's moaning do NOT go in the Same Sentence! They don't go in the same Paragraph either!

John wriggled his tongue across Mary's nipples.

Mary moaned, and gasped. "Oh God! That is so good!" She grabbed his head to pull him closer.

John yelped. "Hey, watch the hair!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paragraph breaks allow MUMBLErs to go to the bathroom. This also helps those who read from a scrolling monitor.

And another thing. Hit the return key twice following each paragraph. That places white space between paragraphs. Do not indent or tab. Keep it clean; keep it tight; just like pussy. (Note the use of the semi-colon with short sentences, and this don't-really-need-to-know shit I placed in parenthesis along with a combo word I made using the hyphens.)

Thank you for your attention.

Copyright Phil Phantom (C) 2003

May he rest in peace.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for reposting this. I wish the typos had been corrected. "Apostrophes" does not have an "i", and "ellipsis" is the singular (it's either "ellipsis marks" or "ellipses"). There may be others I didn't see.

The formatting dialog link has moved. http://bubblecow.com/formatting-dialogue-a-quick-and-dirty-guide is the new one.

I'd love to see good spelling and punctuation in every Lush story.
Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Shore seams Complakated ta me; Kantcha be ah littel planer_ so's I cood unnastand hadda yoos dem punchewashuns".
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What? No witty banter from the peanut gallery. Guess I must be loosing my touch.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wonderful advice, very helpful. Thank you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Charlotte_
Thanks for reposting this. I wish the typos had been corrected. "Apostrophes" does not have an "i", and "ellipsis" is the singular (it's either "ellipsis marks" or "ellipses"). There may be others I didn't see.

The formatting dialog link has moved. http://bubblecow.com/formatting-dialogue-a-quick-and-dirty-guide is the new one.

I'd love to see good spelling and punctuation in every Lush story.

Quote by naughtynurse

Dialog format

I have tried going to both of these links, and either they do not exist or they have been moved. If anyone knows their present location, maybe they could post it here. The words 'Dialog format' was a link in Naughtynurse's entry, but I don't know how to copy it and still keep the link. Sorry.

As a quick side note, I see that Marie5555 joined our happy little family yesterday. I want to WELCOME you Marie, and I hope you enjoy your time here.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
0 likes
I don't know how I've not seen this before, but thank you, Morgan, for posting this funny, precise, spot-on guide to English punctuation conventions. Very helpful, I'm sure, to many or most writers, whether they're submitting stories here on Lush or choosing to do so elsewhere.

Thank you.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite

I have tried going to both of these links, and either they do not exist or they have been moved. If anyone knows their present location, maybe they could post it here. The words 'Dialog format' was a link in Naughtynurse's entry, but I don't know how to copy it and still keep the link. Sorry.

I'm guessing maybe they're referring to the page at https://bubblecow.com/blog/formatting-dialogue-a-quick-and-dirty-guide (although maybe there used to be a less quick, or more dirty guide).

But yes, I'll second (or fourteenth) the thanks for Morgan for posting this, and indeed for all the other tips around here. Maybe if I'd read them all before submitting my first story, I would have caused less pain for the moderators.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PhilU

But yes, I'll second (or fourteenth) the thanks for Morgan for posting this, and indeed for all the other tips around here. Maybe if I'd read them all before submitting my first story, I would have caused less pain for the moderators.

lol, Exactly how I feel. I read a few, but since I realised how much I still needed to learn, I have come back and worked my way through them all, and it is amazing how much of what I thought I knew turns out to be wrong for this type of writing. Why is this stuff not taught in school? Especially punctuation with dialogue, a major fault of mine which hopefully will no longer cause the moderators the pain you mention.