Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Difference in Male or Female writers? Options · View
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 8:24:39 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 649,084
Do you know any differences in general if a story on here is written by a man or woman and if so which do you prefer?

I think men tend to be more descriptive of the female characters and vice versa, however, I actually enjoy most stories written by females more because they are also more descriptive of what is being done to the male characters and that lets me put my self in the fantasy easier.

RumpleForeskin
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 8:34:06 AM

Rank: The Right Rev of Lush

Joined: 7/3/2009
Posts: 2,921
Location: Lost in the ozone somewhere east of Luckenbach Tx,
This is a huge generalisation but male writers ten to focus on the physical aspects while women spend more time on emotions. There are many, many exceptions, of course and great writers can usually overcome the difference. All that is just, IMO.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Feels So Right, It Can't Be WrongMore steamy, seductive, straight step-sibling sex, 2-3

FROM:
Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
myself
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 9:27:28 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
It's natural for each of us to describe our perspective positions in a story best. The view of either sex can be interesting for me and also depends much on the scenario or mood of story. If the writer's motives (man or woman), are realistic and honest, I can get in to it most of the time for research's sake if nothing else.

I find more often than not that it's the subject/scenario/mood that is lacking interest from either sex.

I agree with you RumpleForeskin in that, men are more physical and women more emotional most of the time. As it is in real life which brings magic and insight to me.

I cannot agree though that either sex should overcome what they know for imagined knowledge. This makes it hard for me to be interested.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Mistress_of_words
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:37:24 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/14/2011
Posts: 591
Location: At my keyboard, writing stories for you
gpjunk wrote:

I think men tend to be more descriptive of the female characters and vice versa...


It is often difficult to work in descriptive detail of the pov character without making them look vain and self-centered, or using a cliche device like looking in a mirror. Meanwhile, their impressions of other people are easily accommodated.

While I think that your point is quite relevant, I think it is perhaps just a effect of the fact that more female writers write from a female pov (and men write from a male pov) than the opposite. I write from either pov, depending on the story and characters involved, and mostly I find I describe the love interest (male or female) more than I do the protagonist.

It is also usually easier to work in description of the protagonist when writing in third person perspective vs first person perspective. I'd be interested to see the stats on which perspective male and female authors favor.

RumpleForeskin wrote:
This is a huge generalisation but male writers ten to focus on the physical aspects while women spend more time on emotions.


I agree. Generalisation yes, but a valid one. You will probably also notice it affects which physical aspects we focus on. Men tend to focus on the body (ass, breasts, body-shape) while women focus on the head (hair, eyes, lips)

Guest
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:11:58 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 649,084
I agree with most everything said here but I also wonder about differences in word usage. Is a man or woman more likely to use cunt in a story? Things like that. Someone should do a studylaughing3
Mistress_of_words
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:52:14 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/14/2011
Posts: 591
Location: At my keyboard, writing stories for you
For me the choice of terminology depends on the character I'm writing about and which word I think they would use, more than my own preferences. Although, personally I don't tend to get too purple with my prose so you will rarely find me using terms like love stick or man meat. Things like that just tend to make me giggle.

Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:11:18 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 649,084
gpjunk wrote:
Do you know any differences in general if a story on here is written by a man or woman and if so which do you prefer?

I think men tend to be more descriptive of the female characters and vice versa, however, I actually enjoy most stories written by females more because they are also more descriptive of what is being done to the male characters and that lets me put my self in the fantasy easier.



In general, no, not at all.Generalisations are notoriously dangerous because they are confining and suffocate any understanding or openess to other structures.

As a story moderator I read more stories than most people. The differences are not related to gender but to the capability of the writer.

What I prefer is a well written story, well crafted in terms of plot, story line, writing, etc.

I don't know why you think men tend to be more descriptive of the female characters, unless it is because of what you have read and your own personal inclinations. Nevertheless, I do not agree. The same is true for women writing about men.

Your question is too general and limited in scope to your own personal reading for it to be broad reaching.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:41:25 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,832
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
gypsymoth wrote:


In general, no, not at all.Generalisations are notoriously dangerous because they are confining and suffocate any understanding or openess to other structures.

As a story moderator I read more stories than most people. The differences are not related to gender but to the capability of the writer.



As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with Miss Moth here...generalizations like women are more emotional in their stories doesn't seem to hold, they may be more emotional in real life...and that's a generalization, but I have read stories by women that are completely devoid of emotion...and stories by men that would bring tears to you eyes...

Actually, I've read stories by both sexes that would bring tears to your eyes...but, it wasn't necessarily because of emotional content...but, that's another story...

If I had to make any generalization about the differences in stories written by male and female writers, I would say that in most first person stories written by men the main character ends up with a female partner, and vice versa...

And even that's a generalization around here...let me go think this out more...Regaeman Man


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:09:27 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 5,146
Location: California
The only difference I've actually noticed sometimes, just sometimes, is that male writers tend to make their female characters sluttier than female writers. Men will be more degrading of women than female writers in general.



Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 1:16:34 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 649,084
gypsymoth wrote:
gpjunk wrote:
Do you know any differences in general if a story on here is written by a man or woman and if so which do you prefer?

I think men tend to be more descriptive of the female characters and vice versa, however, I actually enjoy most stories written by females more because they are also more descriptive of what is being done to the male characters and that lets me put my self in the fantasy easier.



In general, no, not at all.Generalisations are notoriously dangerous because they are confining and suffocate any understanding or openess to other structures.

As a story moderator I read more stories than most people. The differences are not related to gender but to the capability of the writer.

What I prefer is a well written story, well crafted in terms of plot, story line, writing, etc.

I don't know why you think men tend to be more descriptive of the female characters, unless it is because of what you have read and your own personal inclinations. Nevertheless, I do not agree. The same is true for women writing about men.

Your question is too general and limited in scope to your own personal reading for it to be broad reaching.


That's actually why I asked the question, to see if this was my personal experience or if there was something more to it. Also, I agree that generalizations can be dangerous but they also need to be discussed because if there is something to them they can be kept in mind for the improvement of a writer. For example, if men truly were more descriptive of women a man writing a story could keep that in mind and seek better balance in his descriptions.

I realize also that the better the writers the less any generalization will apply but I was speaking more of the average writer than the better ones. I am glad you answered because you do read more stories than the average reader so you are better equipped to answer the question than most.
Guest
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 3:19:21 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 649,084
gpjunk wrote:
Do you know any differences in general if a story on here is written by a man or woman and if so which do you prefer?


I think men tend to work on their stories naked...alternating one hand the keyboard at a time...vs. a woman working naked at their keyboard...alternating one hand at a time. See they have to go completely around their naked breasts without touching them vs. a man going unencumbered right to their kickstand. If I had really nice sensitive nipples on a really nice chest…if I was a woman…I’d have a hard time not stopping to play just a little….know what I mean?
Whistle
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:21:10 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,524
Location: Your dirty fantasy
I don't like to generalize on this one. I think people have different styles of writing but I don't think it is dependent on their gender. I think the stereotypes of women writing more flowery, emotional love-stories is a bit dated. The most hardcore/raunchy porn out there today is actually made by female producers (a little known but surprising fact).

I think writing style is dependent on a lot of factors... personal experience and point of view are probably the greatest influencers.

rudyP34
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:22:07 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/27/2010
Posts: 127
Location: Canada
On my first published story, someone commented, congratulating the lady who helped me out with some of the parts that were more.. let's say.. feminine. I'm not sure why, because I actually wrote it all by myself... should I have been flattered?
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:46:04 AM

Rank: The Linebacker
Moderator

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 6,960
Location: Atlanta, United States
I enjoy them equally, no gender discrimination here! Regaeman Man

clum
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:34:39 AM

Rank: Clumeleon
Moderator

Joined: 5/13/2011
Posts: 5,174
Location: Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Magical_felix wrote:
The only difference I've actually noticed sometimes, just sometimes, is that male writers tend to make their female characters sluttier than female writers. Men will be more degrading of women than female writers in general.


I could agree with that. I certainly, on occasion, have made my female characters considerably sluttier than was probably realistic relative to the rest of their personality or than was necessary.

Other than that, there are no generalisations that really hold up (especially on Lush). The language used and the level of physical and emotional description varies from story to story depending on characters, situation, style, etc. (in my experience, at least).

She Just Wants To Be

Third place entry in the Toy With Me competition.
symes4u
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:18:57 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/24/2010
Posts: 152
Location: Chicago, United States
The difference between the male and the female writers? The female writers are much better looking. Need I say more.



Guest
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:29:09 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 649,084
Difficult to say that there is a consistent difference. However, some women writers have much greater stamina and much greater attention to fine detail than most male writers. In short, the sex lasts longer and it has a finer grain when it gets to body parts. If I were ever to use the terms "slow motion" or "close zoom" to describe erotic writing, I think it would be for women authors. I agree with Dancing Doll (as usual, of course) that women writers are just as likely to be way up there on the raunchiness scale.
ArtMan
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:32:00 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/29/2011
Posts: 654
Location: South Florida, United States
Female writers can have multiple orgasms. Male writers can only dream about that.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

overmykneenow
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 6:24:39 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,209
Location: United Kingdom
I find the best stories (for me anyway) rely very little on physical descriptions of the main characters male or female.

Thanks to porn most of the descriptive narrative of a lot of sex writing is sadly limited to sight and sound: painfully lacking in the sensations of touch, smell, taste and emotion.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
rudyP34
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:01:20 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/27/2010
Posts: 127
Location: Canada
overmykneenow wrote:
I find the best stories (for me anyway) rely very little on physical descriptions of the main characters male or female.

Thanks to porn most of the descriptive narrative of a lot of sex writing is sadly limited to sight and sound: painfully lacking in the sensations of touch, smell, taste and emotion.



I agree with this. I want to shoot myself when someone pauses his/her story to insert a description. The "let me start by saying that I'm 5'7" with a great body, bla bla bla"... totally kills it for me. I don't mind someone mentioning a body part in action, but otherwise physical descriptions are not necessary.
charmbrights
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:38:55 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/2/2011
Posts: 192
Location: Tirphil, United Kingdom
Writing as Charmbrights, I have been taken for a female and comments such as "That's not what a man would feel/do/say" have arrived. As a 72-y-o male I think I know what my male characters would feel/do/say. On the other hand I was asked by one reader whether a particular novel was autobiographical - fair enough, except that it was set on a prison colony planet in the year 2123.

Who said readers are not stupid?

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
Mistress_of_words
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:03:35 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/14/2011
Posts: 591
Location: At my keyboard, writing stories for you
rudyP34 wrote:

I agree with this. I want to shoot myself when someone pauses his/her story to insert a description. The "let me start by saying that I'm 5'7" with a great body, bla bla bla"... totally kills it for me. I don't mind someone mentioning a body part in action, but otherwise physical descriptions are not necessary.


Agreed! It's even worse when two characters meet in a story for the first time and the narrator (or perspective character) reels off their stats like they'd just greeted them with a tape measure or they have the magical ability to psychically read clothing labels at a distance.

I look across the room and saw her. The most beautiful woman I've ever seen. She had long blonde hair that fell down across her 36D breasts and when she stood up on her four and a half inch heels she was 5'11".

Erm, yeah right.

charmbrights
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 10:19:21 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/2/2011
Posts: 192
Location: Tirphil, United Kingdom
Mistress_of_words wrote:
rudyP34 wrote:

I agree with this. I want to shoot myself when someone pauses his/her story to insert a description. The "let me start by saying that I'm 5'7" with a great body, bla bla bla"... totally kills it for me. I don't mind someone mentioning a body part in action, but otherwise physical descriptions are not necessary.


Agreed! It's even worse when two characters meet in a story for the first time and the narrator (or perspective character) reels off their stats like they'd just greeted them with a tape measure or they have the magical ability to psychically read clothing labels at a distance.

I look across the room and saw her. The most beautiful woman I've ever seen. She had long blonde hair that fell down across her 36D breasts and when she stood up on her four and a half inch heels she was 5'11".

Erm, yeah right.

Agreed. In my "Delights" novels (12 books, 600,000 words) the chief character, the story of whose life they are, is never described, even to his height, though it can be inferred that he is shorter than his chief bodyguard who is described as "a very tall man, almost seven feet and broad in proportion" when that impression is an important part of the story.

While many problems have been pointed out to me by eagle-eyed readers, mostly correctly, not one has ever commented on the lack of description for David Ransome, Emir of Kobekistan.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
Michael
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 6:41:49 PM

Rank: Author

Joined: 10/22/2011
Posts: 2,005
Location: Somewhere with Sun and Sea, United States
Generalizing about a persons writing style based on gender is tantamount to using their sexual preference, ethnic background, religious training, the state they live in, or their Avatar to judge their style. That is part of why I chose a non-gender specific Avatar in the first place.

But BS aside, I prefer "most" women's style of writing, when they chose to involve deeper emotional impact into the story. Case in point is "Pretending" by PennLady; the ending choked me up. But, I have found male authors with the same gift, James Patterson with "The Jester".

I hope to remain committed to judging the author by their story, not the story by the author.

DirtyMartini
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:23:48 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,832
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
Someone just shared this in one of my Facebook writing groups...


Why are male writers so bad at sex scenes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2011/nov/25/male-writers-bad-writing-sex


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Michael
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:35:37 PM

Rank: Author

Joined: 10/22/2011
Posts: 2,005
Location: Somewhere with Sun and Sea, United States
DirtyMartini wrote:
Someone just shared this in one of my Facebook writing groups...


Why are male writers so bad at sex scenes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2011/nov/25/male-writers-bad-writing-sex


Mr Martini,
In reading the examples I realize there is still hope for us struggling male writers at Lush, obviously it may only happen with the astute guidance of our female brethren. Read it

Milik_Redman
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:02:11 AM

Rank: Internet Philosopher
Moderator

Joined: 8/14/2009
Posts: 4,753
Location: somewhere deep under the Earth, United States
I find the post here to be very interesting. A a male writer I find myself making the woman the focal point. I at least try to bring in emotion into the storyline as the fuel for the sex.
To me the discriptions of the act are critical but how it makes the players feel is equally so.
For myself I'd have to say that female writers seem to write from the female perspective and therefore captivate my interest.
Of course any talented writer be they male or female can produce a great story and lush has several men who are excellent.
SITTING
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:04:36 AM

Rank: Wilful Wallflower
Moderator

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 848
Location: In the library, Leeds, United Kingdom
I don't think the gender of the author makes a difference. I've seen men write beautiful love stories and women write hardcore stories and they're just as good as the other stories in the respective category

Stalker, ballet dancer, obsession...
Duralex87
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 3:56:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/5/2010
Posts: 129
Location: Yaounde,Etoudi., Cameroon
Hey'all slow down there a bit.
First we're not all straight-orientated here. And concerning gay stories,altough one may assume writer's gender is obvious(which is true in most cases) i've read elsewhere gay stuff written by both genders writers which is good enough to let you think the author though actually not gay or even of the physical gender involved personally endorsed the sexual orientation upon which his material based.
Second. When it comes to straight stories(mosty 1st person pov ones) most contain some body descriptive lines. And generally each gender writers tend to describe the other's physical appearance and their's feelings(no need to say a nine inches or more penis size almost undoubtly betray a three to five inches shorter one between the writer's legs). To avoid generalizing let's say this is more noticeable with young unexperienced writers.

Trying to sound cool. Too much work left.
adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 2:47:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/24/2013
Posts: 1,365
In one word, it's emotion. With men, its always about size.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.