Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Success Options · View
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:50:36 PM

My parents always told me that I have to define my own measure of success. I have to set my life goals and work to achieve them.
I set my own personal success as being a good wife (yes I'm divorced, but I was still a damn good wife) and mother, being a contributing member to society, and making sure those around me knew they were valued. I feel thus far I've been successful. For me it's not about money and power.
Now I ask you... What is YOUR measure for success?
Jingle
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 7:50:31 PM

This is a really good question. I feel too many people measure their success by mainstream values - how big their tv is, how far away their vacations are, how expensive their car is. How new their model of cell phone is. How natural their spray tan looks. Etc.

My own measure of success would be no debt, no outrageous bills to pay, a solid job, a healthy home, healthy family, and money growing in the savings. When I feel safe, I feel successful, and safety means these things to me.

erectus_2011
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:35:20 AM

People say, a successful man is one who earns more money than his wife and spend , while a successful woman is one who find's such a man, but then should success be measured or can it be measured ?, I strongly doubt , success is not a possessing dream car or a villa or to be the President of USA ,which is goal specific and can be measured , in my view succes should be a personal prize as it's an personal achievement, not about material gains but to laugh often and love much,to win the respect and to give respect , to appreciate beauty, to be full of compassion and empathy , in short success is fulfilling one’s own chosen goal, it is relative in nature, thus cannot be measured , I would rather say to treat success as a journey, not a destination and definitely not measurable
ArtMan
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 9:01:48 AM

Success for me is a combination of acquiring financial security, the praise of my peers and leaving some kind of lasting legacy.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

1curiouscat
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 8:35:34 PM

Interesting question.

Success in life is one thing. Success in business is another. No matter which way I look at this, success will always be linked to money in some way.

If your focus is to sleep well at night, it will be easier on a full belly and inside comfortable sheets. But most importantly under a roof. So there is no running away from this -- success requires some kind of capital.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Alphamagus
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:14:03 PM

For me success is about happiness, but not the happiness i bring myself, the happiness i bring others. If other people are unhappy with me, How can i class myself as successful?
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:41:14 AM

We humans are always striving to achieve. We live in hope and die in disappointment. We set our hearts on something then when we get it it proves unsatisfying.

'Tired with all this for restful death I cry.
Save that to die I leave my love alone.'
psyduck
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 7:28:42 AM

Living. I know it sounds a bit cheesy but really everything attained in life is inconsequential when we die. Therefore I cannot use anything in life as a measure of success...instead I use life itself. The simple fact that I'm not yet dead, is my success. :)
Michael_X
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 2:23:12 PM

I don't think you can ever really determine if your successful or not. I think that's for other to decide. How people remember you and what you leave behind.
For me though, so I can feel accomplished.
My idea of success would be a family, no financial trouble, either a good job or a good business, be a good husband/father, the list goes on from how i am morally, physically, and financially.
I think when I get to a successful point in my life. I'll know.

"Do you want to live to work or work to live"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

"Always hold you head up high, never come off weak"

Michael