Favourite Book???

last reply
50 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
What’s your favourite book of all time??? I know it’s a tricky one because you can’t really compare a Charles Dickens or a Shakespeare to a James Patterson, can you? But if you really HAD to say one, what would it be? I’m going to start off with ‘Jewels’ by Danielle Steele – it was my first real introduction into novels and, man, it got me hooked!
So what’s yours? biggrin
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Strangely enough, it was a book my grandfather used to read to me as a kid. Jules Verne - Journey to the Center of the Earth.
That was the first book that painted a picture in my mind so vividly that I keep a copy close by to read at least once a year.
Lurker
0 likes
The Stand by Stephan King. I think I secretly wanted Captain Trips to happen some day.
Lurker
0 likes
Lately its:

Lurker
0 likes
The Time Traveler's Wife-Audrey Niffenegger
Lurker
0 likes
The Holy Man ~ by Susan Trott

I bought this book when it first came out (hard copy) ... and returned to the store on the Monday and bought 8 more copies .... I gave them away as gifts (and even my original one). Now I only have it in soft cover.

0 likes
Dictionary with synonyms and I like it Big!

Second it a language translator, es muy importante, alle sprog er smukke!
Purveyor of Sweetness
0 likes
i have re-read The Hobbit multiple times since my first trip with Bilbo in junior high....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not much of a reader i must admit, although I did enjoy Harry Potter, and I've read Slash's Autobiography which is pretty epic. I found reading Lord of the rings really annoying, and got fed up with it pretty quickly.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That is a tughie. I don't know which I have read more often, John Dos Passos' U.S.A., or Robert A Heinlein's Time Enough For Love, or .
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Lurker
0 likes
I have 3: The diary of Anne Frank
Night- Elie Wiesel
Desperation- Stephen King
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read a lot. I have to agree with Chefkathleen...I loved The Stand by Stephen King. I had to do a book report on it. I had a choice of that book and Lord of the Flies...I read them both...Liked The Stand better...

MacBeth is my favorite classic...

I loved The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlam, I got hooked onto all of his books... I don't really have a present favorite
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If I had to pick one it would be. Islands in the Stream By Ernest Hemingway.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The count of monte christo...hands down..
Lurker
0 likes
Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Currently reading it and getting to "that bit that forces you to put it down and not pick it up for another few weeks". People in the know, will know, you know.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I loved the Scarlet Letter smile
Lurker
0 likes
Wuthering Heights - purely because I read it so often, my copy is battered and bruised from the places its been.
Lurker
0 likes
An impossible question for a literature teacher to answer...it's like asking me to choose between friends. However, I will say that my favorite book to teach is Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird". No matter the age of the students, everyone can get something out of it.
Clumeleon
0 likes
As a stand-alone book, I would probably say Markus Zusak's The Book Thief.

However, once I start reading a Harry Potter book, I can't put it down, and Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series was fantastic. I've also recently become an Austen fan, with Emma being my favourite thus far.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
J.R. Ward Brotherhood series. Loved the whole series.
Lurker
0 likes
has to be:

i highly recommend this book. yes its a hockey book but there is a lot more to it

great book
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by 1curiouscat
Lately its:

Oh! i read this a few years ago! it was a wonderful read, and i love how it left what really happened somewhat up to the reader! excellent choice. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Oh! i read this a few years ago! it was a wonderful read, and i love how it left what really happened somewhat up to the reader! excellent choice. smile

I loved Life of Pi. The last chapter was epic.

My favorite book of all time is Albert Camus' La Chute (The Fall). Read it 26 times so far
Lurker
0 likes
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
Lurker
0 likes
the count of monte cristo by alexander dumas
Lurker
0 likes
when I receive my e-reader (please Santa! I've been good, really!!) ... I am thinking most of these "loves" of all yours ... are going to be downloaded!

another one of my favourites (and given away a few times) is Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lord of the Rings. I just love going to other worlds and this to me is the original and best.
This is my ex not me.
Bf and I share account
Lurker
0 likes
I'm now reading The Dirt by Motley Crue for the 4th time and just finished Women by Chuck Bukowski for the 2nd time, to books I really enjoy. But I also liked reading The Hobbit, more so than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, even though I enjoyed them too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wow that is a hard one....I read so much that I have to keep a list...and I am not one to pick favorites...however, there are two books that I find myself reading over and over. Moll Flanders and An American Tragedy.
Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. "Yes" is the answer. ~Swami X