Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

To My Old Master - Letters of Note Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:57:12 PM

I've read this four times today. Shared it with two other forums and all my true friends. It is one of the most powerful things I've read in a long while.

I hope you enjoy it. Hopefully, Milik...this is a bit brighter than many of my recent posts.

In August of 1865, a Colonel P.H. Anderson of Big Spring, Tennessee, wrote to his former slave, Jourdan Anderson, and requested that he come back to work on his farm. Jourdan — who, since being emancipated, had moved to Ohio, found paid work, and was now supporting his family — responded spectacularly by way of the letter seen attached (a letter which, according to newspapers at the time, he dictated).

Bravo, Mr. Anderson.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:31:53 PM

Indeed. I remember watching "Roots" when I was a kid. My parents, having only elementary school educations, and one of those being in a foreign country, could not give me the true insight or background to what I was watching, but school let me know the history, and my parents decency let me know that what I felt was true. I was angry, hurt, and confused. Having memorised the Pledge of Allegiance for each mornings incantations, it was not even bitter sweet, but sour to me to have to recite it.

Not to take over the forum, but upon Googling this letter I also found this:

Frederick Douglass's Letter; To my old master

Today, we talk of free speech, speaking up for what's right, and bettering ourselves. Man, there are few that can hold a candle to either of these gentlemen. Thanks for posting WMM, I love to learn something new every day.