Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Father punishes daughter for her rant on Facebook. Options · View
Sirene_Jaune
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 5:05:51 AM

Just came across this little article.

Hanna writes a rant on Facebook to her friends (hiding it from her parents) about how her parents make her "work" for nothing etc. As most teens do at some point or other. Daddy finds it and makes a vlog about finding it and reads it to the camera. Watch his wonderful punishment.

Do you think the punishment is tough?
mercianknight
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 7:13:07 AM

laughing3 Lfunny lol

Brilliant, just brilliant..... I've got tears running down my cheeks.

Have sent this to my own daughter. Thanks.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 7:39:05 AM

I think that guy is my new hero!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Buz
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 7:52:35 AM

More power to him! Good thing he is correcting her now so she doesn't develop into a useless leech.

Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 7:57:14 AM

That's tough love right there!!

What a guy!!
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 8:00:17 AM

clap.... clap.... clap... clap!

Bravo

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 8:49:52 AM

Punishment by social networking. Good for him. Not taking any shit.

(he's kinda scary, tho) evil4
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 8:54:32 AM

That was priceless! Good for him! hello1
TheDevilsWeakness
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:02:05 AM

LMAO I need to borrow this to use on my own daughter... simply AWESOME!

Dudealicious
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:06:38 AM

Holy fuckoly!

That's the way to do it these days! (Now where'e my gun) evil4

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:11:18 AM

Dudealicious wrote:
Holy fuckoly!

That's the way to do it these days! (Now where'e my gun) evil4

I have to say all you people rock. I've seen this on FB now and everyone is a frickin armchair psychiatrist for the family. How he invaded daughter's privacy and is a bully yada yada yada blah5
Callisto
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:19:13 AM

Lapplause well damn! that was awesome..

I bet she won't post some shit like that again lol..
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:23:52 AM

Curlygirly wrote:

I have to say all you people rock. I've seen this on FB now and everyone is a frickin armchair psychiatrist for the family. How he invaded daughter's privacy and is a bully yada yada yada blah5

Seriously? What privacy? She posted it online, just blocked her folks. Someone else saw it and told them. Pfft. People are stupid.

Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:27:13 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Seriously? What privacy? She posted it online, just blocked her folks. Someone else saw it and told them. Pfft. People are stupid.

I'm serious. I had to log out of FB. He is teaching her to use violent methods to resolve conflict and on and on...

MoonlightSerenity
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:33:39 AM

He is epic.

Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
sprite
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:34:05 AM

i do have to say that imo this stuff should be handled privately - while i don't disagree with the punishment, posting it publicly takes it to another level - the humiliation this girl has probably already suffered is a punishment in and of itself - yes, i know i am in the minority here, but i think he went overboard. also, in a message to your daughter, i don't think you should be smoking cigerettes. also, i'm guessing she kind of needs to have computer access for school, so how's that going to work? really, i remember being a pissed off kid and saying stupid stuff like what she posted on the internet in the heat of the moment, and yeah, i don't think she shouldn't be confronted about it, but i think this guy is letting his anger do the talking right now and taking this to another level.

Love not hate.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:39:05 AM

Her Royal Spriteness wrote:
i do have to say that imo this stuff should be handled privately - while i don't disagree with the punishment, posting it publicly takes it to another level - the humiliation this girl has probably already suffered is a punishment in and of itself - yes, i know i am in the minority here, but i think he went overboard. also, in a message to your daughter, i don't think you should be smoking cigerettes. also, i'm guessing she kind of needs to have computer access for school, so how's that going to work? really, i remember being a pissed off kid and saying stupid stuff like what she posted on the internet in the heat of the moment, and yeah, i don't think she shouldn't be confronted about it, but i think this guy is letting his anger do the talking right now and taking this to another level.

You may be in the minority, but you're in good company. Lwinking

Maggie Rascal
sprite
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:45:46 AM

magnificent1rascal wrote:

made me think about all the stuff i was doing when i was 15 and my dad would get pissed off and deal with it with anger instead of sitting down and working it out rationally - yeah, i get why he was so pissed off, but the result? instead of learning a lesson and mending my ways, i went the other way - i'd disappear for a night or 3, go out and look for trouble, fight him in every way possible. kids aren't rational beings, they are giant buzzing balls of hormones and emotions and confusion and craziness - while you need to be firm with them, you gotta treat them carefully or they'll explode in ways you can never anticipate.

Love not hate.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:00:08 AM

sprite wrote:
made me think about all the stuff i was doing when i was 15 and my dad would get pissed off and deal with it with anger instead of sitting down and working it out rationally - yeah, i get why he was so pissed off, but the result? instead of learning a lesson and mending my ways, i went the other way - i'd disappear for a night or 3, go out and look for trouble, fight him in every way possible. kids aren't rational beings, they are giant buzzing balls of hormones and emotions and confusion and craziness - while you need to be firm with them, you gotta treat them carefully or they'll explode in ways you can never anticipate.

Yeah, what he did certainly isn't my style of parenting. I had a hand in raising four teenagers — my own daughter, her best friend (who was and is like a second daughter to us) and two foster kids. They had their share of problems, every one of them. They were disrespectful at times. They complained about us. They did their chores grudgingly. But although fairly strict, we were consistent, fair and respectful of them, and they have all turned out to be responsible adults even though a couple of them came from very troubled backgrounds.

Maggie Rascal
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:04:55 AM

magnificent1rascal wrote:

That makes three of us.

I prefer the idea of setting a mature example of parenting, rather than reducing things to this level. Maybe next she gets a boyfriend to drive by and shoot the tires out on her Daddy's truck. Then what? Things can escalate fast... all over an immature facebook rant by a typical sulky teenager. Who is the adult here?

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:27:10 AM

To be fair, sometimes a little embarassment is ok. Especially when your behavior is embarrassing. He didn't call her names, he didn't take a belt to her ass. Maybe shooting the laptop was near the line, but he paid for it.. it's his laptop. She just got to use it. He did handle a similar situation before, privately. It didn't work. Sometimes a parent has to get creative to reach a kid. All kids are different. This may be the only way to get her attention. He could have gone to the modern theme of no consequences for your actions, but he was proactive. We always read and see stories about older teens or young adults that go out and do really stupid things. And people always say, "where were the parents?". This guy is teaching a valuable lesson to his kid. Would I have handled it this way, probably not. He didn't air any of her dirty laundry or humiliate her. Who knows how many times he talked to her privately about her attitude and behavior. Maybe just once, maybe a dozen times. This will certainly get her attention.

I'd take this over him getting so angry and physically abusing her out of anger and frustration.

sprite
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:35:45 AM

ok, the more i think about this, the more pissed off i get at this guy - he's the adult, he should be setting an example - if the worst thing he ever has to deal with is a daughter who blows off steam in a typical teenage way by ranting on FB he should count his blessings. he comes off as an ass, there, i said it - this guy is an ass. applaud him all you want, but he is publicly humiliating a 15 yo girl, his daughter, he is over reacting - yes, if he tells her that from now on, she needs to buy her own computerware, that if she wants new toys, etc, she needs to get a job in order to afford them, fine - what he did was uncalled for - turning it into a public spectacle. i can imagine the comments at school.

he better be prepared for what is to come - the next 3 years are going to be tense and nasty if this is his way of dealing with stuff - sorry, all of you who think he's some sort of hero, but i think this is way over the line. yes, it touched a nerve and no, i am not a parent, but i was a daughter and i know how i would have reacted to this - this is not how you raise a teenager. he's asking for trouble.

Love not hate.
sprite
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:44:17 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
To be fair, sometimes a little embarassment is ok. Especially when your behavior is embarrassing. He didn't call her names, he didn't take a belt to her ass. Maybe shooting the laptop was near the line, but he paid for it.. it's his laptop. She just got to use it. He did handle a similar situation before, privately. It didn't work. Sometimes a parent has to get creative to reach a kid. All kids are different. This may be the only way to get her attention. He could have gone to the modern theme of no consequences for your actions, but he was proactive. We always read and see stories about older teens or young adults that go out and do really stupid things. And people always say, "where were the parents?". This guy is teaching a valuable lesson to his kid. Would I have handled it this way, probably not. He didn't air any of her dirty laundry or humiliate her. Who knows how many times he talked to her privately about her attitude and behavior. Maybe just once, maybe a dozen times. This will certainly get her attention.

I'd take this over him getting so angry and physically abusing her out of anger and frustration.

She's 15 in a world where this stuff goes viral. i'd bet that, within 24 hours of it being posted, every single kid at her high school had seen it. what is the valuable lesson here? don't get caught. destroying what SHE considers to be hers? i know what i keep on MY laptop - you're not just destroying a machine, you are destroying a life - pictures, journals, stories, dreams - of an an emotional 15 yo girl. from experience, i can tell you that had this been me? right now he'd have no idea where i even was - i'd be so out of there. and what kind of a lesson is that to teach? take the damn thing away from her for a month or restrict her internet privledges, that's reasonable. shooting a lap top? what does that teach her? that violence is the solution?

oh, and if he thinks putting a bullet thru her computer is reasonable, what makes you think he's not one step away from getting so angry that he's going to smack her next time? it's just one small step away. it's not like she actually DID something wrong - she posted a rant on FB - take a look at the rants posted on Lush! it's blowing off steam! sorry, the more i think about this , the more i think he's way out of line.

Love not hate.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:47:02 AM

He could have easily had this same conversation with her privately, and just taken away her computer and stored it until everyone was in a calm/rational place again.

Blowing his fuse publicly where it's now become a viral youtube video, humiliating her in front of her peers and the world, and taking a loaded weapon and unloading it into a computer is far more immature than what she posted on her facebook wall. Kids these days are committing suicide over social humiliation that occurs over FB, twitter and myspace. As well, this is more like revenge instead of punishment.

This is his child... not his peer.

1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:56:29 AM

I´ve never been a daughter sprite but what you are saying is completely coherent. From the fact that the girl is already posting her rants on FB is and indication that the comunication in the house isnt exactly perfect. I would go as far as saying that there is no comunication if she feels safer on FB then sitting down with her own parents.

However, life for a teenager today is far diferent then when we were teenager. I mean, firstly there was no facebook - hell the internet was barely starting. Parent/child dynamics, in my opinion, were easier then. I don´t know about the rest of yous but the law was layed down in my household... Back then (shit i feel old now) it was still somewhat ok to be a parent and be authoritarian - I admit I have been slapped a couple of times... sure got my attention.

This father is no doubt trying to find a way to get across to her. He probably thought he would use her game and maybe she would listen.

Ok, I agree that he may have crossed a line when he pulled the gun out, he probably should of ran it over the computer with his truck, or kicked it or something. But he felt as a parent he needed to get this girl´s attention. Afterall she was the one that made the story public in the first place. She threw her shit out in the open for everyone to see, he has the right to "protect" his integrity with his comunity no?

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Buz
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:59:05 AM

Though I couldn't imagine me or my siblings doing what that girl did, I did get in plenty of trouble (usually for pranks.)

If I'd done that as a teenager. there would not have been any YouTube video. My Facebook page would have been wiped clean and re-done with my long apology for my immature actions. (I actually did have to use my MySpace page to make an apology once for a prank I got caught doing.) Once I had to go to every house in a neighborhood and apologize for my part in disturbing the peace. Other than that the punishment would have been behind the scenes and it would have been highly effective. Dad's punishments usually involved being seriously grounded and having my chore list tripled with chores that involved hard physical labor. He'd then usually ask my mom if she'd like to add anything to our punishment. Mom always would, being a school teacher, she would assign a book for me to read, one that always fit the situation. I'd have to write a book report and give it to her. Also, cursing & four letter words were not allowed in our house or used by my parents.

Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 11:17:46 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

That makes three of us.

I prefer the idea of setting a mature example of parenting, rather than reducing things to this level. Maybe next she gets a boyfriend to drive by and shoot the tires out on her Daddy's truck. Then what? Things can escalate fast... all over an immature facebook rant by a typical sulky teenager. Who is the adult here?

Four...

This parent is completely correct to try and show his daughter to value what others do for her... but, at the end of the day, whose fault is it that she doesn't already value what her parents (and 'all the other adults in her life') do for her? We've all had a bit of a 'rebel' moment at some point in our lives...but I can honestly say that I have always appreciated and valued what my parents have done for me throughout my life because that's how I've been brought up.

Dancing_Doll wrote:

I prefer the idea of setting a mature example of parenting, rather than reducing things to this level.

Agreeing here also... this parent has, in my eyes, come off very childishly. He's correct in the message that he's trying to get across but I disagree with the way in which he is putting it across. His daughter made a childish statement...and so he responds with putting holes in a piece of technology? Right.. perhaps I'm showing my englishness re the frivolity he displays here with gun use....but it's not my cup of tea, that's for sure. It's one childish statement in order to respond to another childish statement? Doesn't make any sense - at all!
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 11:22:12 AM

We don't know what the relationship is between father and daughter. MOst parent/teen relationships have lots of ups and downs, yet are still full of love. There is no indication that this man is abusive or violent to his family. Owning a gun doesn't make a person violent. Shooting an inanimate object does not make a person violent. She may have seen this video and thought, "you know, the old man is right. he's a prick for doing it this way but he's right". I love my parents dearly. And there were times that they had to discipline me. I didnt' like it at the time, but it was necessary for my growth. Was I ever embarrassed in front of my friends, you bet your ass I was. But it didn't make me hate my parents or want to disassociate with them entirely. At that moment, in the heat of the battle.. sure I was pissed. Did I stay in my room whispering, "i hate them i hate them".. yep. Sure did. Not all parent/teen relationships are awful. Most, while contentuous, are normal and work the way most work. This girl probably loves her dad with all her heart, she may be pissed off now. But she probably still loves him. And he loves her. A man that would resort to this is the kind of man that would sacrifice anything to save his little girl. He'd willingly take a bullet for her anyday.

edit...Here's a similar thing..

Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 11:54:59 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
A man that would resort to this is the kind of man that would sacrifice anything to save his little girl. He'd willingly take a bullet for her anyday.

No one here is doubting that. People are merely stating their view from where they are - on the other side of this guy being some kind of online parenting 'hero'. I don't think anyone is claiming that he's 'violent' either. I think people, myself included, were just pointing out that his behaviour was, while amusing from an outsider's point of view, childish. And, to be frank, not good re example setting.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 12:03:35 PM

LittleBambi wrote:

No one here is doubting that. People are merely stating their view from where they are - on the other side of this guy being some kind of online parenting 'hero'. I don't think anyone is claiming that he's 'violent' either. I think people, myself included, were just pointing out that his behaviour was, while amusing from an outsider's point of view, childish. And, to be frank, not good re example setting.

Above it was mentioned....

"oh, and if he thinks putting a bullet thru her computer is reasonable, what makes you think he's not one step away from getting so angry that he's going to smack her next time? it's just one small step away."