Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

ok i just need help here..what do u guys and girls do with the gift ur ex gave u after you'll br

last reply
39 replies
4.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I think people may be able to help more if you could expand on the issue, maybe? I'm guessing you're talking about after you've broken up, you're not sure whether you should return/throw away/sell a present the ex gave you?
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
I still have a toy dog my ex won for me at the fair (it was like an old fashioned film!), and he sits on my shelf now, but it would totally depend on the break up. With this ex, we have remained friends after but I have been through break ups before when it was too painful to keep any reminder of him around so it all went.

If you're not sure what to do with it, just stuff it in the back of a cupboard for now
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I still wear/use a lot of my gifts from exes. Sometimes I'll think "oh yeah, I remember when he bought me this ring etc." when I first look at it, but if I like the ring, I'm still going to wear it. I also still have my pink Burberry teddybear that an ex gave me sitting on a bedroom shelf.

To me, these are just objects that I like...

If something has too strong an association then I just store it away or give it to a friend.

Strangely enough I actually feel more uncomfortable about using gifts from a guy whose heart I broke rather than the other way around. Might be related to residual guilt etc.
Lurker
0 likes
it depends on how the bad the break up is
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with Hunter, it really just depends on how bad the break up is/was. I have a diamond braclet from an ex that i keep only to remind me of how worthless he was, he was one of those guys that could melt your heart to get you back, he only provided gifts to cover up the other woman he had on the side. However, I also have a ring from an ex that i wear daily because he was and is still my best friend, we just couldnt make it work in a relationship. Just depends on the relationship.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i kept my engagement ring for a very long while - he broke up with me, btw. the exes from breakups that were mutual and on good terms, i kept some things for sentimental value - the bad break ups i either destroyed gifts or gave them away/sold them if they had some monetary worth. i still have some jewelry, books, and stuffed animals from exes that i was fond of, even after we split. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have kept most of the gifts I have received. The only really bad break up I have had was with my ex-husband. I didnt want to keep my wedding and engagement rings. I gave them to my 2 oldest daughters and told them to do what they want with them.
Lurker
0 likes
It generally depends on the item given. If it’s a worthless piece of tat I would throw it away. But if it is worth something even if it’s not worth money but sentimentality then I would keep it to remind me of better days.
Just because they are your ex does it mean that you chuck out everything that reminds you of them. I think that is stupid.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've mostly kept things from my ex's except for a few items. The items I did get rid of, my gf at the time would ask me "where did you get this from?" once the story was unfolded about the item, and the disapproval from the new gf because i kept it......it would get tossed. I tend to be like the above posts and like to hold onto things to remind you of the good times you had.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I was talking about this the other night with a friend. She's sporting a hefty diamond solitaire engagement ring (and has been for nearly a year) but she's thinking of ditching the guy as he's dragging his feet on setting a wedding date. Whatever... I thought it was odd that the marriage date wasn't agreed upon within the first few weeks, but that's not my concern.

She's going to give it back.

But the earrings, watch, bracelet and anklet...she plans to keep (unless the cheap bastard requests them returned).

Most guys who gift to their beloved ... know the unspoken rules. And if you don't... heheh, you'll learn 'em.

Don't be a fucking cheap ass too, koolboy. Unless, yanno - If she cheated on ya, she should give back THE ring (if there was one) and if not...cut your losses and count your blessings. * If you cheated on her (another woman, another man, drugs or what the hell ever - Kiss the Ring goodbye)

In your future life, you should drive down the road and piss away more coin, having fun.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by koolboy

What was the question?? Shylass is correct ... a little more info would be helpful in order to have a decent response.

For me it depends on:

- was it a husband? Then, no, I return nothing.
- was it a boyfriend? Then, I return everything .... and close the chapter.

only exception ... I always keep the shoes, regardless who bought them for me!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
I think people may be able to help more if you could expand on the issue, maybe? I'm guessing you're talking about after you've broken up, you're not sure whether you should return/throw away/sell a present the ex gave you?

yup u are right.. i dont know why it wasnt geting posted completly..
Lurker
0 likes
i dont know if giving the gift back is a good idea
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by koolboy

yup u are right.. i dont know why it wasnt geting posted completly..

I think you probably tried to put it all in the subject title, which is why the first post is blank. Normally, the titles have a very small character limit, as opposed to the post field (the bit you are reading this in now).

Perhaps you could just ask if they want it back? You could do that by phone, letter, e-mail or in person. If you don't feel you can ask, but you are worried, you could perhaps post it, or leave it with a mutual friend for them.

And if you are not sure, as somebody else said, stick it in a cupboard until you know what you should do with it.

My brother's ex has left three large bags of books here, from before they broke up. I can't throw them out, obviously, and as she turned out to be a psycho and my brother has avoidance issues (and a new girlfriend). So if it's something big and annoying that your family have to put up with, please return it just to get it out of the way!
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
hey thanks for the help guys... i really appriciate it
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by not_yet_famous
If you are interested in the law on engagement rings (and who has the right to the ring if the wedding is called off), here in an interesting article:

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/grossman/20011023.html

Mr. NYF .... very interesting article. Thank you for sharing!

PA
Lurker
0 likes
Mostly i'd Keep it especially if it's Jewelry or a Cute teddy bear old cds etc.. but it mostly It Depends on the break up, And if That item has some sort special meaning in our relationship i.e First movie we watched together first neckless that person gave me etc... It would be hard to throw away but i know it's an object that would cause more pain if i dont.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If they are really expensive, i would return them. Perfume, books, cd's... i use them.
Sig removed by admin: Too awesome.

(500px x 150px max)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Totally depends on what is it and as people have said how bad the break up was.
I have things ex bf's have given me, and like Doll i keep them because i like them and use them.

I tend to store stuff away after a break up and come back to it when im happier about the situation, then decide what to do with it.

Ice cream + Candy = Yummy
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Take it to the pawn shop!
The Linebacker
0 likes
I went to the doctor and got a shot and a prescription to get rid of it!

hahahaha I'm just kidding!!!

Mostly they gave me stuff like shirts, baseball cap or a cowboy hat and I still have them. Once I got an engraved name bracelet. I still have it. I never wore it much anyhow.

If it is something you like just keep it. Its yours now anyhow.
Lurker
0 likes
Ebay? Give it back? Pay it forward?

Unless I really, really indentify with it, then i keep it.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
In the year... well a year that was a long time ago... I had given my girlfriend a tennis bracelet (very tiny diamonds), a 14 ct gold necklace (didn't cost much - couple three hundred bucks I think - maybe?) and... (drumroll please)... a promise ring. lol Yeah... a $250 ring...should tell ya how long ago that was...

The precursor to the engagement ring...and not as sentimentally close to my heart as my college class ring (which I lost about 20 years ago while fishing).

She gave me a Colibri cigarette lighter that at the time was billed as the world's thinnest, for our 2 year anniversary of 'going steady'.
It looked like this...I could have sworn she paid $500 for the thing.

At the time, I just thought I was one lucky bastard. (and I was)...it's not the cost of thing$ when you're young and in love...so much as it's just that she thinks of me.... queue up swooning-romantic-puppy-love tune. She and I were poor college kids. She gave me pussy and I gave her lots of hard dick. That was good enough for both of us 99% of the time.

We broke up after four years of monogamous dating (no living together involved) she and I attended different colleges. No gifts were returned, nor did I think to offer her back the cig lighter. I liked it, even though one full charge of butane would only light up about 10 cigarettes before it petered out.

My grandmother had given her a couple of hand made quilts for a couple of xmas presents... Marilyn did ask me if I wanted those back...and I asked her to keep them, unless she was going to give them to Goodwill or something.

You don't have to be an asshole when a relationship ends, and you don't have to be a gold digging butt-wipe either. But four years is a bit different than 4 weeks or 4 months or 1 year of loosely seeing one another.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
If it's something you like, keep it, after a while you'll look at it and smile. If it's just there and it isn't something you like or that you'll use, find a resale shop, or donate it and get a tax credit (if available).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think this question only applies to short term relationships between 2 people. It's a different ball game after 20 years of marriage and kids etc things like "she gave me these cufflinks " don't seem as important as other issues. Well that's how I see it.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with Jack_42. After 23 years of marriage, I kept the bed but dumped the mattress. The jewellery was mine to keep. I've sold the wedding and engagement rings.