Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are We Raising a Generation of Helpless Kids? by Mickey Goodman Options · View
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:32:34 PM

The 10 year old walking to school gets me. Assuming that she's taught him how to cross the street, what the traffic lights mean and the route to take to and from, I just do not see a problem. The only problem I see is him saying that his mother will "beat" him. Is that their term for whipping his ass for causing all this ruckus? Or does she really beat the shit out of him? I knew one kid that said his mom beat him. She tapped him on the ass. I saw it. Even as a kid, that didn't scare me. It was just his terminology.

Jeb, they're either going to have to limit electronics or have mandatory phys-ed/gym in school. No one wants to pay taxes for that though.angry7
DLizze
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:37:17 PM

By the time I was 10, I thought nothing of walking the six miles to the nearest town to buy comic books and sodas. 4 miles (6.4 Km) is roughly an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes walk, depending on terrain. That is not excessive. But I have to admit, I was a rural farm kid; we were a little tougher, and a lot more self-sufficient than the kids who lived in urban places.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Dirty_D
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:34:23 AM

it was 4 miles to school for me. I started going to town on my own when I was 10. we have gotten to where we interrupt others training of their children, how can we expect to raise them well if we have to take into account what everyone else thinks about your methods? If you want to utilize timeouts & I want to 'beat his ass' we should be able to without worrying what the other will say. A village no, but a commited individual yes.

LadyX
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:57:02 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
Mom arrested charged for a crime for making her kid walk to school

An Arkansas mother is being charged with a misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a minor after she made her son walk 4.6 miles to school in order to "teach him a lesson."

Valerie Borders, 34, told police her 10-year-old son had been suspended from the bus for a week and she was making him walk to school as punishment.
A bank security guard spotted the boy walking alone in 30-degree weather on Monday and called police.

When the boy spoke to the responding officer, he told him: "Please don't take me home. Mother will beat me," the police report said.

The officer took the boy to his mother's workplace, only to be told she was on vacation. They found her at home, where she was cited for child endangerment.
"There were a number of things that could have happened to the child," said Lyle Waterworth, a spokesman for the Jonesboro Police Department. "The child could have been injured, abducted."
ABC News affiliate KAIT spoke with the boy, who made an impassioned plea on camera to keep his mother out of jail. The boy's mother did not speak on camera.
If convicted, she faces up to one year in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000.

Nanny state?

I have the feeling that I, and we, just don't know enough to judge on this one. If they kid is like D'Lizze, and walks long distances fairly regularly, knowing all the traffic laws, how to stay out of danger, etc., and of course, dressed correctly for the cold weather, then yes, I'm thinking that the government is overstepping perhaps.

But if the mom is abusive, then the mom is abusive. If the government doesn't step in in an abusive situation, then nobody will. Unfortunately, the government is all a kid can turn to when their parents fail to be their protectors. What if the kid has never walked across town even once? In that case, 4.6 miles for a 10-year-old is traumatizing at best, and negligent more than likely.

Then there's the kid's claim that he doesn't want to go home because the mom will beat him if they take him there. Maybe a kid being manipulative...but maybe not. Would it surprise anyone to find out that a mom who makes her kid walk 5 miles in freezing temperatures might raise a hand to him, especially if she gets embarrassed by the authorities for her "method of punishment"? Me neither. Also, no surprise that he made a public plea on behalf of his mom. Surely, she didn't threaten him within an inch of his life if he didn't...right?

Or maybe not. But I'm not ready to take this story as an example of an over-reaching nanny state. To me, it smells more like a redneck, semi-sadistic mom who got caught doing her bullshit. Just because kids used to walk long distances in past eras, and kids are generally 'softer' than they used to be, doesn't excuse a parent from subjecting kids to things they aren't used to and may not be able to handle. Sounds like the 4.6 mile walk was out of his comfort zone, and not in a healthy, broaden-his-horizons way.

I hope I'm wrong.
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:25:39 PM

I believe we are seeing the manifestation of over-indulgence in the "Occupy" movement. These are the kids that were raised where there were no winners or losers. Everyone got a trophy just for participating, there was no score and there were o losers. Fast forward a few years, these are the same kids spending 100K on 4 years worth of liberal arts, women studies, art history and the like, and have no job prospects to pay off that debt in student loans. There was no one there to advise them on the career paths that didn't exist for said degrees, but instead they were praised for putting for the effort to go to school and get a degree. There is nothing wrong with those degree's mind you, just do go out into the world expecting to be paid a huge salary and be able to service that debt. Thus the frustration with what is going on. The ruling class has it all, the country class (the rest of us) are paying their bill. and these kids are paying the price.
The younger generation has it worse.
DLizze
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:33:03 PM

I believe trippy has hit on part of the problem. America's education system, with few exceptions, has little or no understanding of the job market outside their cloistered walls. The other part of that problem, or perhaps ancillary to it, is that there is no guarantee that a graduating student has a grasp of any specific body of knowledge. This fact was glaringly evident during the most recent past President's tenure in office. We had elected to the highest office in the land, a man who couldn't even properly pronounce the term applied to the most powerful weapon in his military arsenal, yet who held an advanced degree from one of the most prestigous schools in the country. (The word, Mr. Pesident, is "NUCLEAR", not "NUCULAR".)

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:24:07 PM

Every generation thinks that the current generation of young people are the worst there has ever been. This quote was attributed to Socrates by Plato:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

[url=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-chaise-lounge.aspx]
mercianknight
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 6:15:20 AM

unsure92 wrote:

i think it was when parents decided to be friends with their kids instead of parents.

Of all the fantastic comments in this thread, this is the one that resonated the most with me. Lapplause

The original article was a great read and and had me nodding in agreement from start to finish. Without writing my life story here for all to weep and comment upon, I will say that, by today's standards, my Mom would have been locked up and the key thrown away for the way she brought me and my 4 siblings up. Political Correctness has hampered some of the tools of parenting, however, I feel that we as a race learn to adapt (although I lament the demise of corporal punishment in schools).

One of the few full blown arguments my wife and I have ever had involved my daughter playing us off against each other (as they do!) and me having to finally and forcefully declare to both of them that, as far as my daughter is concerned, I am NOT her friend but am first and foremost her Dad. I am the person to whom she can always turn to for advice, strength, protection, truth and love. She is NOT my equal (as my other friends are), but someone who needs whatever help I and others can give her to develop into the best human being she can be. Yes we argue, and yes she is just as opinionated as her Dad and whilst I may sound like a harsh parent, I am always being complimented on how well adjusted my daughter is when others compare her to their own bratty kids. My daughter has learned boundaries that have defined acceptable behaviour without, I hope, compromising her potential and she uses me as her one constant, her rock when things do not go her way. Mom is her 'friend' and that is fine, but even my daughter tells us both that it is her Dad to whom she turns when she needs 'help'.

My reward for being a stone-aged Dad? The hug I get when I leave for work or when she snuggles up against me on the sofa to watch TV at night (after the homework and chores are done).

Okay, I'm done.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 11:32:51 AM

And that is why you are a good parent. Bravo lucky girl.
DLizze
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 3:32:37 PM

Not being a parent, I can only weigh in on the subject of parents as "friends" as a child of a pair. The last twenty years of his life, my dad and I were close friends. But I was forty years old by then, and had been out of the house since age eighteen, when I went into the Navy.

MY mother and I have never been real friends, although during the last ten years or so of her life, our relationship was more nearly that of peers than parent-child.(She just died last year.) I guess what I am saying is it is possible for parents to be friends with their offsring, but only after the children have reached adulthood. And by "adulthood" I DON't mean the age of consent, whatever it is in your locale.

1curiouscat
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 6:21:36 PM

There are some that don't seem so helpless after all.

Some are taking matter into their own hands.

I guess there is some hope. :)

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 6:38:21 PM

I wouldn't force my 10-year-old to walk that far to school. No matter where you are, there scumbags that look for the chance to kidnap a young kid. He'd pay in other ways. That said, I don't think I'd arrest the mom, but I do think I'd have her put on a watch list from whatever the local child protective agency is.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:03:46 AM

Who is to blame her? Total blame to the older sister? Some/all blame to the parents for not verifying slumber party with other parents? Does the girl herself have any culpability?

14yr old dies from inhaling Helium

EAGLE POINT, Ore. (AP) — Last weekend, 14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and marijuana.

After drinking on the drive, and downing more drinks in the condo, it came time for Ashley to take her turn on a tank of helium that everyone else was inhaling to make their voices sound funny.

"That helium tank got going around," said Ashley's stepfather, Justin Earp, who learned what happened from talking to Ashley's friends at the party. "It got to my daughter. My daughter didn't want to do it. It was peer pressure. They put a mask up to her face. They said it would be OK. 'It's not gonna hurt you. It'll just make you laugh and talk funny.'"

Instead, she passed out and later died at a hospital, the result of an obstruction in a blood vessel caused by inhaling helium from a pressurized tank.

It's a common party trick — someone sucks in helium to give their voice a cartoon character sound.

But the death exposes the rare but real dangers of inhaling helium, especially from a pressurized tank.

Dr. Mark Morocco, associate professor of emergency medicine at the Ronald Reagan Medical Center in Los Angeles, said what happens is similar to when a scuba diver surfaces too quickly. A gas bubble gets into the bloodstream, perhaps through some kind of tear in a blood vessel, and can block blood flow to the brain, causing a stroke.

The gas is also commonly seen in suicide kits — mail-order hoods sold out of Oregon and elsewhere that can be attached to a helium tank by people who want to kill themselves. In those cases, the helium crowds out the oxygen, asphyxiating a person.

Death from inhaling helium is so rare that the American Association Poison Control Centers lumps it in with other gases, such as methane and propane. Only three deaths were recorded in 2010, said spokeswoman Loreeta Canton.

It's important to remind kids that ingesting any substance — for the sake of getting high or just changing their voices — can be dangerous, said Frank Pegueros, executive director of DARE, Drug Abuse Resistance Education.

Pegueros said the first defense is for parents to tell their kids about the dangers of certain substances. He said kids need to also ask themselves whether going along with the crowd at a party is worth it.

"Peer pressure is a very potent force," he said. "We've all gone through it growing up."

"It's getting somebody to pause and think and evaluate the situation and determine, is this something that's going to have a bad consequence," he said.

Police have arrested 27-year-old Katherine McAloon, who lived in the condo, on charges of providing alcohol and marijuana to minors. Four men who were at the party have been questioned by police, but have not been charged, said Medford Police Lt. Mike Budreau. More charges may be filed after police turn over their evidence to the district attorney.

Ashley was a goofy, nerdy eighth-grader who struggled with her weight, was just starting to notice boys, got top grades in school, had posters of Justin Bieber all over her room and wanted to grow up to be a marine biologist, said her mom, Loriann Earp. The family moved from Grants Pass, Ore., to Eagle Point about a year ago, and Ashley had just gotten over the difficulty of adjusting to eighth grade in a new school.

Justin Earp said the kids had four wine coolers each in the car, and four mixed drinks at the condo, before they started passing around the helium.

Police said it was an 8-gallon canister, the kind you can buy at many stores. The kids were taking hits directly from the tank.

When Ashley passed out, someone tried CPR. Then they called 911. Paramedics tried to revive her and took her to the hospital.

"About 11:30 we got a phone call from police saying they were doing CPR on our daughter," said Justin Earp.

At the hospital, they were told that Ashley had died.

Her family has set up a foundation, Ashley's Hope, to spread the word about the dangers of inhaling helium.

Loriann Earp feels like her daughter was stolen from her.

"My whole chest is collapsed and my heart is broken," she said through sobs. "I don't understand."

___

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
ramrod32784
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:26:15 PM

More important than political correctness is right and wrong.People to appreciate success must also know failure
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:28:51 AM

hmm i wonder, can we also blame the parents for maybe, providing the kids with distractions? i.e. an ipod at the age of 7, now sumone try to tell me that aint a distraction.
oldrascal
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:59:28 AM

Wow, where do I start on this one? I grew up in the late forties and early fifties [assuming I grew up] and life for a child was completly different than what I see now. Walking to school over a mile, home for lunch, back to school, back home again was not enjoyable, but necessary. I thought nothing of walking and running endless miles after school and weekends, that was enjoyable. We wandered the woods and never had a thought of danger. Were there child predators then? If there were, and there must have been, it wasn't advertised. We were never warned to be wary of strangers, in fact, one of our favotite stopping places was the hobo jungle up the train tracks a ways. Conversation with some interesting characters and maybe a bite of [rabbit?] stew. Yes, we used the tracks as a different sort of sidewalk. Would parents now allow children on train tracks? Now I see children threaten their parents with the police if they even threaten corporal punishment, and have seen neighbors ticketed for doing so. I am bewildered by many of the things I see now and am dismayed by many of them. I see my children deal with my grandchildren and want to jump in, but I can't, it's not up to me anymore. Arghh, just a rant from an old fart. Never mind.
ElChupacabras
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:26:23 PM

Well. speaking for myself and maybe a couple of other folks my age, we were brought up with a couple of spanks when needed, we had to show respect to the elder, no computers or i-pods or all the sort of things kids have today, allowing them to have their own "space" meaning they don't need but their music and their friends, we can't touch them or we get in jail, they get food on the table and just enjoy themselves.
The result?

The other day I asked my son if he knew where greenland was and his answer was: What is Greenland ?

They can't put two and two together, and it's all our fault. I think we gave them way too much freedom. And it isn't just my son. If they don't have a computer or laptop by their side they can't even make a sentence. They all take it from the web. They don't have their own thoughts (if you know what I mean).

Just a thought.