Hunger Games!!!!!!!!

last reply
56 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Have you read the books? what do you think?
started reading the books on Wednesday. already on the second book. they are fanatic!! the movie is coming out soon and i am so excited

NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!
Lurker
0 likes
I think that the books are AMAZING! Besides the fact that they are all well written, I believe that the author wrote to communicate issues in the real world today. I'm so excited for the movie, I do hope that it mirrors the book. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Books are so good. The second book was better then the first, I think. That's when I started to really get into them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One of my best friends is in this movie. He's been in several different films. In the trailer for Hunger Games, he's on screen for a second. Not sure how much he'll be in the film. Looking forward to seeing it.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, I read the first book and I quite enjoyed reading it. However it will make me very picky about the incoming movie, like what had happened when Harry Potter series and The Girl With Draggon Tattoo went movies lol.
Welcome to visit my tumblr page at http://HK4167.tumblr.com for erotic arts. Or http://slice-of-moment.tumblr.com for non-erotic arts.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I've been wanting to read these books on recommendation by someone's opinion on stuff like this I respect. Only thing though when I looked the books up and read a short description of what they are about, I found it reminded me of another classic I read a few years ago called "Battle Royale". Has anyone that has read the hunger games read battle royal? Or seen the movie based on it? Will the similarities bug me or do they just sound similar but completely different in execution?

Battle Royale book, American release. I doubt anyone else here has read it but if you have read them both I would really like to hear your opinion. (without spoilers of course)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale <---Plot is described here.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I loved the books, especially the first two! I am pretty excited about the film and the trailer looks really promising, I just hope it doesn't do a "Twilight" and become this massive thing.
Lurker
0 likes
sooo whose side are you on? i am on page 53 of catching fire and i personally like gale. but all my friends say that my opinion of him will change...
so who do you like better gale or peeta?
Lurker
0 likes
I've been thinking about starting this series. From what I'm seeing here, sounds like I should!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
I've been wanting to read these books on recommendation by someone's opinion on stuff like this I respect. Only thing though when I looked the books up and read a short description of what they are about, I found it reminded me of another classic I read a few years ago called "Battle Royale". Has anyone that has read the hunger games read battle royal? Or seen the movie based on it? Will the similarities bug me or do they just sound similar but completely different in execution?

Battle Royale book, American release. I doubt anyone else here has read it but if you have read them both I would really like to hear your opinion. (without spoilers of course.

Sounds similar, but with some pretty important differences. The Hunger Games series is a good read. One of the more challenging aspects is trying to relate the story to modern life here in America. I'd give it a shot, were I you.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
The Hunger Games trilogy is without a doubt one of the best reads I have read in quite a while. If you've never read it, you really need to!
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
I don't usually care for dystopian novels, but the Hungry Games trilogy was really good. If you read the first one you'll be pretty much committed to reading them all. I was surprised that I enjoyed them as well as I did because I really couldn't get into her Underland Chronicles.
[url]http://[/url]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
OMG I love the Hunger Games!!!! It's is literally one of the best trilogies I've ever read. My favorite character is Katniss, I really admire her bravery and strength. However, I hope the movie doesn't spoil the book.

The novel was so intense and breathtaking and I think they'll have a hard time finding actors/actresses that can fit the description.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hey, Felix. Huge fan of both, though I only got to watch the Battle Royale film directed by Kinji Fukasaku. (Didn't get to read the book by Koushun Takami) Still one of my favorite movies to date.

I also heard about the Hunger Games Trilogy for the first time from a friend whom I trusted for book recommendations and such. I had to scoff inside when he told me what the plot was all about. lol. But I went ahead and gave the book a try. I ended up enjoying the Hunger Games a lot.

It's hard to avoid the blatant comparison re: the plot of young adults being forced to fight each other to the death in an arena. Heck even the "Reality TV" slant is present in both books. But the similarities end there I think. The context of the Hunger Games being set in a post-apocalyptic world really defines the story. I got drawn in to this fantasy world created by the Hunger Games author. And while Battle Royale takes on social issues in a larger-than-life cartoonish way (think Chiaki Kuriyama, tracksuit girl with a balisong knife, stabbing a guy multiple times in the groin), the Hunger Games confronts it in a deeper, more reflective way.

Too bad the trilogy had to end with "Mockingjay" though. The 3rd book sucked. But that's just me :/

Quote by Magical_felix

Battle Royale book, American release. I doubt anyone else here has read it but if you have read them both I would really like to hear your opinion. (without spoilers of course)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale <---Plot is described here.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
an amazing series - i don't do this often, but once i started reading, i read non stop for several days, fighting off sleep to finish one more chapter - i intend to read them again very soon - it's rare that i cry as much during a story as i did with these, but yeah, broke down several times in tears. heart breaking, harsh, beautiful, inspiring, and omg, i am going to be there at midnight when the movie comes out.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by winky
sooo whose side are you on? i am on page 53 of catching fire and i personally like gale. but all my friends say that my opinion of him will change...
so who do you like better gale or peeta?

personally, i liked Gale better, but i think that Peeta was better for Katniss, much as i hate to say it. Rue, though, stole my heart, and Finnick... yeah, i need to read them again. it's not that late, if i start now i could be done by monday smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
The Books are Amazing Kept me up for hours on hours reading them i lost way too much sleep with the hunger games books, finished reading all of the books last summer i hope they dont mess up the movie would be amazing to see how they transfer the books into a movie.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I have a feeling the movie will give the book justice
Lurker
0 likes
IN LOVEEEEE WITH THESE BOOKS!! i want to read them over, except my books are being borrowed by 3 different peoplesilly i finished these books in 4 or 5 days. I was supposed to take them out from the library, but i got through 1/2 of the first one and couldn't wait. SO i went out the next day and bought the trilogy. Catching Fire i think was better then the first but only by a little. As Sprite said Rue stole my heart, and these books brought me to tears at times. They are truly amazing books and i recommend these books to anyone of all ages. I got my dad and sister into itsmile AND the movie... looks amazing, even though i know the movie will have no comparison to the book, i will still be there opening nightbiggrin
Lurker
0 likes
Loved, loved the trilogy. I liked 'Mocking Jay' the most but all three were fantastic. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'm not 100% happy with the casting, so, we'll see.
Lurker
0 likes
never read the books but it has an interesting premise, though it's going to be a pg13 movie which is a let down. From what I understand the book has fights to the death, if it's pg13 that means alot will be cut out for kids, hence dull fight scenes likened to movies like twilight. studios go that route to make more money because it's extremely difficult to acquire the budget from higherup and push out a movie that's rated r because it severly limits the audience and that's a big risk if it flops. If I've learned one thing about movie conversions, if you can't afford to go out and live up to the inspiration in all aspects it's not worth making. (it was pg13 last time I checked, not sure of the rating now) if it gets a good score on imdb I'll see it.
Lurker
0 likes
everyone says that mockinjay isnt good but i really like it. but i really really like gale. but the overall series is just amazing. i cant put it down. the movie looks soo good. im so excited!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by AloneAndWaiting
Loved, loved the trilogy. I liked 'Mocking Jay' the most but all three were fantastic. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'm not 100% happy with the casting, so, we'll see.

i think that, when a book SO captures the hearts and imaginations of so many, so passionately, it's going to be impossible to cast it so that everyone is happy - that said, having watched the movie Winter's Bone, i'm excited by Jennifer's casting. Also, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. My wife reminds me that when they were casting the Twilight movies, there was actually a HUGE petition to get Robert Pattenson out of the role of Edward Cullen - please don't think i'm endorsing Twilight, but we all know what happened with him. smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by winky
everyone says that mockinjay isnt good but i really like it. but i really really like gale. but the overall series is just amazing. i cant put it down. the movie looks soo good. im so excited!

MockingJay - ok, no spoliers here, but i understand why people were a bit disappointed in it - the story doesn't go in the direction many wanted it too. that said, i think that it fit the book perfectly. there was one point that someone made about it, though, that stuck with me - talk to me when you're done! oh, and keep the tissue box near. *hugs* FINALLY people are reading this! i was bugging people a year ago to read it so i'd have someone to talk to about it! smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Garza
never read the books but it has an interesting premise, though it's going to be a pg13 movie which is a let down. From what I understand the book has fights to the death, if it's pg13 that means alot will be cut out for kids, hence dull fight scenes likened to movies like twilight. studios go that route to make more money because it's extremely difficult to acquire the budget from higherup and push out a movie that's rated r because it severly limits the audience and that's a big risk if it flops. If I've learned one thing about movie conversions, if you can't afford to go out and live up to the inspiration in all aspects it's not worth making. (it was pg13 last time I checked, not sure of the rating now) if it gets a good score on imdb I'll see it.

it doesn't need to be R. it will be brutal enough without being graphic - remember, the kids in the games are between 12-18 and the book didn't pull any punches without being super graphic. i am actually thankful that it's PG-13 - that means it will get enough of an audience to do the other 3 movies (my understanding is that it will be 4 movies, not 3) and honestly, it's going to be hard enough to watch without going over the top - this is NOT your usualy Young Adult romance fare - the books were harsh and brutal in a lot of ways, and while there is romance, it's not what the story is centered around.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by joanne84

Too bad the trilogy had to end with "Mockingjay" though. The 3rd book sucked. But that's just me :/

While i get why you said that, i don't agree - well, i do, it sucked in a way, but not because it wasn't just as amazing as the others. god, i just burst into tears thinking about it. yeah, ok, it sucked in that it left me an emotional wreck, i'll grant you that! lol - i did have one issue with it, but i don't think it's the one everyone else has, and i don't want to give away spoilers, so i'm keeping it out of this discussion. smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Here is the newer trailer, btw. smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
One of my best friends is in this movie. He's been in several different films. In the trailer for Hunger Games, he's on screen for a second. Not sure how much he'll be in the film. Looking forward to seeing it.

what part does he play? smile

Lurker
0 likes
OMGG!! thanks! i couldnt find the new trailer and its soo gooodd!!
Lurker
0 likes
I haven't got a clue what all this is about!