Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Photoshop me beautiful - a dangerous fad, or some harmless enhancement? Options · View
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:44:41 PM

Having been playing around on photoshop, for my own amusement, today it got me thinking...

Just how dangerous is this kind of thing to society and individuals? Is it dangerous at all? Should it be allowed?

Are we just repeating what we're told when we say that the kind of 'image' put out their of male and female models is harmful to us mere, unphotoshopped, mortals? Does doubt and self confidence re one's body stem purely from other life experiences?

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:13:32 PM

I think for advertising, a little bit of photoshopping enhancement is expected and acceptable - when used sparingly.

Unfortunately it's sometimes taken so far that the person no longer resembles themselves but instead starts to look like a "Doll-ified" plastic version of the same woman (just with different hair and eye colour). The editors at Playboy are notoriously bad at this, especially when they do celebrity layouts. They end up looking like disproportionate barbie dolls without all the individual characteristics that make them recognizable as who they are.

Maxim is getting bad at this too...

For example... would anyone even recognize the girl in the photo below as being JWow from Jersey Shore?

And this next ad for Lancome just looks like a miscellaneous blonde woman to me. When in reality this is supposed to be Kate Winslet, someone they would have paid big bucks for, and yet most people can't even recognize based on this heavily photoshopped photo.

Personally I think they should just stop using models and go with straight digitally created images. Why waste money paying actual human beings when you're going to work them over until they are all unrecognizable dolls.

As for whether it's harmful to us... hmm... not sure. I think we all know photography isn't what it used to be. The people it tends to hurt more are the naive inexperienced younger generation that doesn't quite fully grasp this yet and will continue to chase the holy grail of perfection in these perfect unicorns that don't exist in quite the way the media presents them to us.

I think a few touch-ups here and there are totally fine... like maybe 20-30% retouched. These days, it seems most magazines are employing the 70-80% retouching standard... which personally I find makes the photos less interesting to look at.

These days, most people would probably rather see a naked self-shot camera-phone photo of their favourite celebrity rather than a photo of them after they've been spun through the Playboy photo editing team.

Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:47:35 PM

Did anyone see this?

Link to story on L'Oreal's pulled adverts (Julia Roberts)

In this case it's clearly 'false advertising'... 'presenting a distorted reality'.

I suppose from that one could go on to wonder if it matters if 'nobodies' are retouched since we wouldn't have seen what they looked like pre edit.

What I find very worrying is how easily this kind of thing is done these days... this is a pretty shoddy edit, but it shows you the kind of thing that can be achieved in 5 minutes by a complete and utter amateur (who learnt how to do this today).. nevermind what could be achieved in 20 minutes by a professional.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:16:18 PM

I don't know how dangerous it is, but I do think it's a new topic that should be added to kids' health classes. As long as sex continues to sell products, advertisers will be trying to make their models more beautiful and more perfect than their competitors' models. I agree with D_D. I don't understand why companies continue to pay outrageous sums of money for famous people to model when they know they're just going to photoshop those faces into near-unrecognizable caricatures. They should go all-digital and save some cash, or at least hire no-name people to photoshop. They could then pass the savings on to their customers...

Nahhhhh.....

ArtMan
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 10:10:46 PM

Consider that the inhabitants of North American continent are among the most obese in the world.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

1curiouscat
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:06:16 AM

Although this is not an issue to be taken lightly considering all of the "side effects" the increasing manipulation of images is causing in our society - specially amongst teenage girls, I´d like to offer the light side of the argument...

At least we can have some laughs out of the mistakes...

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
icecreamcandy
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:39:53 AM

I have to agree photoshop fails are so much fun, especially when people enlarge their cocks to ridiculous sizes and make their tits so big, it distorts the background..laughing9

But i feel it's becoming quite a problem. So many young girls see these pictures and think that is normal, and compare themselves to those images. With all this to look at and lets face it, its everywhere! Girls think guys want them to look that way, and they just can't compete with that.
I have watched documentaries where girls think all boobs should look like fried eggs and plastic fantastic.. and all women should be thin thin thin....
This can lead to more serious issues such as eating disorders or getting plastic surgery to make yourself look like one of those Barbies off The Only Way is Essex (why anyone would want to look like that is beyond me, but there you go).

I do think its a growing problem.. but young people just need educating in staying healthy and to recognise what is real and what is complete and utter fakery

flower

Ice cream + Candy = Yummy
JesseS
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:24:21 AM

It appears to me as another part of a growing trend to accept deception, falsehoods, BS or whatever else someone wants to call lies. Whether it is a "News" story, political campaign, forwarded email, FB post or religious spiel, more and more of it is becoming fake. This includes what people think of themselves, as now anyone with a Wii console can delude themselves, and online friends, that they are a surfer, tennis player, etc. As for Photoshop in particular, cleaning up an ugly background is one thing, changing a persons looks is deceitful.
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 6:13:40 AM

1curiouscat wrote:
At least we can have some laughs out of the mistakes...

There's no shame in noticing the funny side of such situations...that poor girl probably didn't dare attempt the door side of her body - the lines on the door gone all wonky would have seriously given away boobage enhancement! (not that one massive and one normal sized boob didn't... evil4 )

icecreamcandy wrote:
But i feel it's becoming quite a problem. So many young girls see these pictures and think that is normal, and compare themselves to those images. With all this to look at and lets face it, its everywhere!

I said something along these lines previously in this post before we had some post disappearing issues:

I think it's quite easy to say, or two argue, that 'young girls' are impressionable, naive and so on...but as a young girl of 19 myself I don't really have issues with myself body wise. Sure, I'd like to shape up a bit but I'm perfectly confident about my body and always have been - I don't consider myself to be ashamed or self conscious about my body. Now, with this said, a few days ago I took my new 'talent' onto a photo of myself, I thought it would be amusing - and it was - but, having upped my boobs slightly (which, at DD, are already a perfectly reasonable size), slimmed my legs/waist/arms etc down slightly...I found myself comparing the two images (before and after) and seeing flaws in myself I didn't even think were there.

What I'm trying to say is that, from where I'm standing right now, this gave me doubts I didn't even knew I had...or maybe I genuinely didn't have those doubts before.

And that, to me, is quite scary. That this kind of thing can have that kind of outcome on someone who would never even have categorised herself as body conscious.
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 1:07:36 PM

I had this topic of discussion in my Photoshop class.
It is quite amazing how little (or big) Photoshop tweaks can alter a persons image.
Photoshop is a necessity for public image, especially in magazines. They want their
cover model to look flawless. It's part of advertising, a flawless model next to the
make-up section. As for making a person seem skinnier or bigger than they are, now
that's sort of false advertisement. Especially to the young one's who consider them
their Idol.
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:08:36 PM

Photoshop has become something that can cause false advertisement and false Impression towards a lot of us it's become something that allows to change a image with a flaw to complete perfection and that's something that honestly shouldn't be done at all as. I remember so many of my idols Models/dancers i had when i was 15-17 and to see that most of them are just Photoshoped to look better just leaves me both angry and sad that i used to look up to these women. It's a really dangerous subject as i can hardly trust any kind of image anymore now a days.
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:10:26 AM

NightFox wrote:
They want their cover model to look flawless. It's part of advertising, a flawless model next to the
make-up section.

This is the problem - no one is flawless.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
ArtMan
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:10:23 AM

Any product must be as attractive and tempting as possible. The product must sell.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:23:23 AM

ArtMan wrote:
Any product must be as attractive and tempting as possible. The product must sell.

I agree. However the product in these magazines should be the bikini, or the make up or the clothes they are selling and not the distorted "flawless" image they are manipulating. no?

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:29:11 AM

1curiouscat wrote:

I agree. However the product in these magazines should be the bikini, or the make up or the clothes they are selling and not the distorted "flawless" image they are manipulating. no?

Actually the psychology behind marketing is the opposite... they sell the image of the model and what she is doing, and then assume that you will want to be like her, and therefore will then look at the bikini she's wearing while lounging on the yacht... the wristwatch she has on, the beach bag tossed over her shoulder... and that you will want to buy things as well - as a passport to that kind of lifestyle, beauty and glamour.

Same as product placement in bars. Bar owners get more money from liquor and tobacco companies if they are seen as a "cool, trendy" place. They don't have to be the biggest bar and the best money-maker, because the assumption is it's associating a product with an image first and foremost. You walk by the cool/trendy venue and see the resident "It Girl" smoking a certain brand of cigarettes - and the marketing logic is - that you will then want to smoke that brand too.

Pretty much the reason why celebs get so much free shit. You get a paparazzi pic of a cool celebrity carrying your company's handbag or using your lip-balm and wham - there's instant demand by consumers who want to wear/use whatever their favourite celeb is.

Quality of the product itself has very little to do with advertising and marketing... Strange but true.

mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:48:19 AM

For poor schmucks like me who do not know how to use this photoshop thingy, it is down right scary. Fugly

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Smoocher
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:27:52 AM

Doll wrote: "Quality of the product itself has very little to do with advertising and marketing... Strange but true."

How true...especially when dealing with "the human condition".

Rick

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:25:38 PM

I think the point is being missed here slightly.... we all know why photoshop is used in the likes of advertising campaigns... I was just wondering whether people thought it was, or could be, harmful to 'real' people
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:45:33 PM

Yes they could/can be harmful to "real" people. Ever see a teen girl trying to look like what's in the magazines? I would guess that 99% of the time she's/they're not going to be able to do it. Can you imagine the frustration or low self esteem that comes from that? How about anorexia so they can be as skinny as what's in the magazines? They always see themselves as heavier than what they really are to the point of death sometimes. Loss of hair, menstruation stopping etc.
You have to ask yourself what have we done to our society when imperfection or individualism is frowned upon? Why can't we all be different looking and still be "good enough"?
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:55:40 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
Yes they could/can be harmful to "real" people. Ever see a teen girl trying to look like what's in the magazines? I would guess that 99% of the time she's/they're not going to be able to do it. Can you imagine the frustration or low self esteem that comes from that? How about anorexia so they can be as skinny as what's in the magazines? They always see themselves as heavier than what they really are to the point of death sometimes. Loss of hair, menstruation stopping etc.
You have to ask yourself what have we done to our society when imperfection or individualism is frowned upon? Why can't we all be different looking and still be "good enough"?

Yes, I used to be that girl. Only, instead of anorexia, I became severely bulimic. All this mainly because everyone(from where I'm from) thinks a girl with a little extra meat is considered fat.