Login

Best/Worst Film Adaptations

last reply
2 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I just found out that Stephenie Meyer's The Host is being turned into a movie. I'm personally excited about it, even if I have thought the last few Twilight films have made me cringe.

I just wanted to know what you guys favourite and most disappointing movie adaptations of books, TV shows or comics are. I'll start:

The Time Traveller's Wife movie really let me down because the book is way better. I think when you read it there is a better understanding of the characters and the time jumps.

Of adaptations I like, I love most of the Harry Potter movies - The Goblet of Fire being my favourite. I thought the immaturity of Ron and humour of Fred and George were conveyed well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The final chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. The way it ended on the screen was totally different than the book. And it was awful. The entire series leads up to the final and public showdown between hero and villain. Part of that showdown is to reveal and exhonerate a secondary villain. In the movie all of that was lost.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
I thought that Stephen King's Misery was very well adapted

I hated the movie adaptation of I Am Legend - the book was amazing and there was a wonderful twist at the end, which was lost in favour of a 'hollywood' ending (although, they did do an alternate ending, but that wasn't great either) Do give the book a read - it's really short - I was on teh edge of my seat (although, technically I read it in the bath!)

The book The Shining was excellent and although Kubrik's interpretation of it was excellent in it's own right, it wasn't true to the book at all...

A Stephen King 'approved' version was made some years later and it was MUCH better (I am fairly certain that King had a cameo appearance in that - you know he used to appear in most of his movies?) - Again, it's worth seeking out...