last reply
30 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
What is it? Why is it?

I found out some of my stories had been linked to it, and it made me sign up to find out what it's all about.

And I'm all, what is this?

Can anybody please shed light on what Twitter is and what I'm meant to do with it, please?
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Go to Twitter.com then create an account.

Basically you can "follow" people (public figures, celebs, athletes, writers, the Dalai Llama, miscellaneous randoms) etc... People just tweet out messages on occasion or sometimes all day about stuff they're doing/thinking/feeling/eating/wearing. It's kind of like a blog-update on Lush or status update on FB except it's way more public and people who actually care can choose to read it.

It's good for promotion and for important-people to keep in touch with fans, and to tweet stories if you write or to add social commentary on stuff in the news or to directly tell Kim Kardashian that you're sick of seeing her ass everywhere. The possibilities are endless.

Other people can follow you as well, and if both people follow each other, you can have private direct-message chats or whatever.

Just another wheel in the social media machine and a way to connect with people you might not have an opportunity to otherwise.

It can be a little ridiculous but it can also lead to a lot of fun, and it's really great for networking.
Lurker
0 likes
In 140 characters or less. It's for people that think they have a lot to say and that the world revolves around their words.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Blimey. I proper struggle to keep up with Lush, as it is! I have even shunned Facefudge to a large extent because people can see every time I water a plant in Fairyland (even with adjusted privacy settings). I love that game, as well.

Thank you for the answers. I might just start posting random crap on it and see if I can get anybody to follow it.

Oh, and MANY thanks to Graham_x for his astounding description of it that was awaiting me in the in-box. That's where I got the crap idea from. I'm sure I will also be able to fit in the potty too...

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
twitter is a combination social network, message center, promotion tool, gossip exchange, knowledgebase, news source, etc. etc. I use it to inform when I've posted a new blog addition, new erotica, pass along useful or entertaining info or websites, learn about other people's activities, etc etc. It's an easy tool to use, but you have to be brief and it's far more "current" and palatable than a mass long email. It can also serve -- and often does -- as a fan base for what you're interested in. It's used as a social and political tool, as well. A very handy thing.

Like Dancing Doll already said smile
Constant Gardener
0 likes
FIFY

Quote by Dancing_Doll
It can be a extremely ADHD ridiculous and it can also lead to a lot of heartache, yet it's really great for increasing inflammation of foot in mouth disease.

Twitter? I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ~
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
FIFY

It can be a extremely ADHD ridiculous and it can also lead to a lot of heartache, yet it's really great for increasing inflammation of foot in mouth disease.

Twitter? I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ~

Hey! Stop misquoting me!!!

Haha

Hey, Twitter is definitely not for everyone.

I have had some really good things come out of it on both a personal level and professional opportunity level. I don't necessarily use it that often, but it definitely has a lot of merit as far as the social media and networking thing goes.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Hey! Stop misquoting me!!!

Haha

Hey, Twitter is definitely not for everyone.

I have had some really good things come out of it on both a personal level and professional opportunity level. I don't necessarily use it that often, but it definitely has a lot of merit as far as the social media and networking thing goes.

If I ever do sign up for a Twitter account I'll stalk, uh, I mean, follow Dancing_Doll on it.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Buz

If I ever do sign up for a Twitter account I'll stalk, uh, I mean, follow Dancing_Doll on it.

You'd better or I'll feel seriously insulted! lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Facebook, Texting, Twitter? Doesnt anyone physically talk anymore, LOL!!

Actually Twitter is a great way of getting info really fast. News seems to break on Twitter way before you hear it on news reports on Radio, TV or even Internet news sites.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just use Twitter to follow independent writers and for job searches only. Every now and then I'll post the link to a blog post I've made.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Having signed up and having two followers, I still don't really get it.

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
Having signed up and having two followers, I still don't really get it.

I'll sign up and follow you! Then you'll have three followers, and I expect I'd have one, right?
Maggie R
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
this was the funniest thread today...
littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal

I'll sign up and follow you! Then you'll have three followers, and I expect I'd have one, right?

Okay. It's a fab deal.

Quote by littlemissbitch
this was the funniest thread today...

Blimey. Things must have been rough round here.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Actually Twitter is a great way of getting info really fast. News seems to break on Twitter way before you hear it on news reports on Radio, TV or even Internet news sites.

No I can't remeber the last time I actually talked to a friend on the phone! sure I talk to them in real life but my cell is always blitzing and buzzing with notifications! On a few occasions I have been notified of a status update or instagram pic made by someone I was hanging out with! Its cray!

as for what twitter is: Its bassically the status update feature on facebook only more widley used and has hashtags(#) but thats a pretty advanced concept for someone who doesn't truly understand what twitter is lol.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Guest

No I can't remeber the last time I actually talked to a friend on the phone! sure I talk to them in real life but my cell is always blitzing and buzzing with notifications! On a few occasions I have been notified of a status update or instagram pic made by someone I was hanging out with! Its cray!

as for what twitter is: Its bassically the status update feature on facebook only more widley used and has hashtags(#) but thats a pretty advanced concept for someone who doesn't truly understand what twitter is lol.

AAAAAAAARGH! Fred has eaten another member!

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal

Alrighty then, Maggie is in the birdhouse: http://www.twitter.com/@Maggie1Rascal

See you there soon!

I be following yooooooooooou. I think. It's not like Facebook, I don't know how to write on your wall. I don't think there are walls. Everybody can see everybody's bits, but everybody's bits seem... less. Or something.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

I be following yooooooooooou. I think. It's not like Facebook, I don't know how to write on your wall. I don't think there are walls. Everybody can see everybody's bits, but everybody's bits seem... less. Or something.

The twitter equivalent would be a direct message, you put their name in e.g. @Maggie1Rascal then you type your message to them
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus

The twitter equivalent would be a direct message, you put their name in e.g. @Maggie1Rascal then you type your message to them

Thank you! On the normal bit where you... twit? Or is that a tweet?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Thank you! On the normal bit where you... twit? Or is that a tweet?

Yes smile and yes, it's tweet
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus

That's actually a "mention". A direct message is private, like a PM on Lush.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus

Yes smile and yes, it's tweet

Oh, thank you (I was worried you'd think I was calling you a twit - I wasn't).

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by clum

Please stop confuddling me, it's confuddling.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by clum

Ok, I got the name wrong. So other people can see it? Even better, that makes it more like writing on their wall!

The message will appear in their @connect too, so it's easier for them to find it. I might not be making much sense, it's getting late.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus
Ok, I got the name wrong. So other people can see it? Even better, that makes it more like writing on their wall!

The message will appear in their @connect too, so it's easier for them to find it. I might not be making much sense, it's getting late.

You make perfect sense to someone who uses Twitter, haha.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by clum

You make perfect sense to someone who uses Twitter, haha.

That's great, especially as I'm trying to explain to someone who is new to it *sigh*
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus

What the fudge is an @ connect, please? And what are the hashtag thingies?

Don't worry if you can't explain it clearly, I wouldn't understand even if you did!