Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

New York City to ban "sugary drinks". Options · View
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:48:54 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Foods do come in unlimited portions, you can buy as much as you like.

Same as the soda in NYC. You can still buy as much as you want. It will just come in more than one cup.

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:49:28 AM

Magical_felix wrote:

So when some obese guy has half his leg on top of mine while ordering extra honey roasted peanuts and more soda on a 3 hour flight, I'm not getting second hand fat?

And also you glossed right over my point of all the obese taking up more tax money cause they are in the hospital more often. And yes, the poor with no money are more obese. Them taking up more money then needed IS affecting us. Just like second hand smoke affects. It's just not so obvious so it takes more thinking to see the forest through the trees.

Edit: the big brother argument is a slippery slope by the way. Usually a debate technique that can be used to vilify anything.

No, you're not getting second hand fat. It has no long term affect on your life cycle or health. None.

Yea, obese people are sicker. Do you think that banning large sizes of liquid sugar will have any implications on that? Obesity in NY will not change one percent because of this. Those fat fuckers need to get a job and pay for their own health care.

I'm not vilifying anything. I'm vilifying Big Brother telling me what I can and can't drink in whatever quantity I choose. The debate technique of denying big brother's existence can be used to condone anything.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:49:37 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

It is extreme. But I don't over indulge in sugary drinks. I drink mostly water. But if I want a Big Gulp once a year, I shouldn't be punished because of people that have no willpower. If we want to live longer and be healthy, then we need to decide it ourselves. If we prefer to live shorter lives while enjoying a shitty diet, then that's our choice.

yes, it IS our choice. however, it's not MY choice to pay higher health insurance and taxes because of people who are not willing to take care of themselves and eat healthy. it's not MY choice to sit next to someone at a show or on a plane and feel uncomfortable because i have no room. it's not MY choice to park half a mile from the grocery store because someone needs a handicap spot simply because they have chosen to be obese.

btw, i am NOT saying that all people who are obese are bad - there are some very real issues and reasons behind some of it, but honestly, much of it is because of making bad choices. it's not always easy making good choices, but the pay off is worth is, and if we have to be nudged in that direction, i have no issue with it - honestly, if big gulps were banned in Seattle, i wouldn't even notice it.

Love not hate.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:50:06 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

Same as the soda in NYC. You can still buy as much as you want. It will just come in more than one cup.

That's my point, this ban will be fruitless.

sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:52:21 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

too bad - fruit is good for you :)

Love not hate.
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:53:52 AM

sprite wrote:

well played. drunken
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:54:59 AM

sprite wrote:

yes, it IS our choice. however, it's not MY choice to pay higher health insurance and taxes because of people who are not willing to take care of themselves and eat healthy. it's not MY choice to sit next to someone at a show or on a plane and feel uncomfortable because i have no room. it's not MY choice to park half a mile from the grocery store because someone needs a handicap spot simply because they have chosen to be obese.

btw, i am NOT saying that all people who are obese are bad - there are some very real issues and reasons behind some of it, but honestly, much of it is because of making bad choices. it's not always easy making good choices, but the pay off is worth is, and if we have to be nudged in that direction, i have no issue with it - honestly, if big gulps were banned in Seattle, i wouldn't even notice it.

My health insurance costs are based strictly on my habits and medical history. The fact that my neighbor is overweight has no bearing on my coverage. So, we need to tell fat people to lose weight because it makes us uncomfortable on a plane? That's a pretty Republican line of thinking. lol There are plenty of parking spaces besides the handicap one. Do you have a handicap plate, if so... that's shitty for someone taking your spot.

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:55:29 AM

sprite wrote:

Yea yea. lol I love fruit!

sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:01:55 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

My health insurance costs are based strictly on my habits and medical history. The fact that my father is overweight has no bearing on my coverage. So, we need to tell fat people to lose weight because it makes us uncomfortable on a plane? That's a pretty Republican line of thinking. lol There are plenty of parking spaces besides the handicap one. Do you have a handicap plate, if so... that's shitty for someone taking your spot.

my deductable went up $200 this year. not based on my history, btw (i'm already penalized PLENTY for that). it was across the board. what merits that raise? i'm guessing (notice i said guessing) that it's to cover people whose medical bills are much higher than mine, and part of it is, i am sure, because of their health in regards to them NOT taking care of themselves.

and no. we need to do our best to convince unhealthy people to be healthy because it's a drain on them and on us and really, in the long run, they would be happier for it. and no, i do not have a handicap sticker. at one time my health would have merited one, but i chose not to, cause i could manage, with a little extra work, without one.

as for making me uncomfy on a plane, we were talking rights. how is it that my right to be comfortable is superceded by someone else's right to have as many big gulps as they want?

Love not hate.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:03:53 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

No, you're not getting second hand fat. It has no long term affect on your life cycle or health. None.

Yea, obese people are sicker. Do you think that banning large sizes of liquid sugar will have any implications on that? Obesity in NY will not change one percent because of this. Those fat fuckers need to get a job and pay for their own health care.

I'm not vilifying anything. I'm vilifying Big Brother telling me what I can and can't drink in whatever quantity I choose. The debate technique of denying big brother's existence can be used to condone anything.

Denying big brothers existence isn't a debate technique... That's an argument... Slippery slopes are fallacies...

And yes it is second hand fat. Old people have been crushed by overweight people on planes. It's their weak bones you see... And you know what? It does affect me. You know how hard it is in some places to find something healthy to eat that doesnt take a 30 minute wait in line in my area? Mostly everything is shit. All fast food, anything from a convinence store, even delis. All that shit is bad for you. They just sell what people want. Not the food sellers fault. When most of society is fat and wanting extra bacon and cheese on everything then the logical thing is to cater to them. Obviously society cant chose on their own. Just look at the calories in a burger from chills. It's way out of control. It all is. Look at the size of a SMALL soda from Hardee's/carlsjr it's HUGE! As big as a large was 30 years ago. It's a joke.

I'll use a slippery slope too.. The more we cater to being unhealthy the more of a lifestyle it becomes. Instead of people losing weight so they can walk they will probably buy motorized carts...start getting new pig hearts put in them every few years, fuck it. Reminds me of the fat society in that movie wall-e. It was funny because it's so true. That's where we are heading. That future NOT 1984 and big brother.

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:08:55 AM

sprite wrote:

my deductable went up $200 this year. not based on my history, btw (i'm already penalized PLENTY for that). it was across the board. what merits that raise? i'm guessing (notice i said guessing) that it's to cover people whose medical bills are much higher than mine, and part of it is, i am sure, because of their health in regards to them NOT taking care of themselves.

That's certainly true. Overall burdens are going to be passed on to insurance companies, which in turn pass the additional burdens onto those who pay in for coverage.

**threadjack prevention- this is just an aside, but it warrants mentioning:

Oh, that and the entire industry is basically in cahoots, and being for-profit entities, the insurance companies are happy to participate for their shareholder's benefits. Lip-service and touchy-feely TV ads aside, insurance companies are happy to fuck over the insured then just shrug their shoulders about the skyrocketing costs.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:09:04 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Yes, it will make a difference.

The soda-holics will now have to carry two drinks around which leaves no spare hand which which to carry the Triple Bacon 'n Grease Whopper.

Maybe The NYC Two-Cup-Diet is destined to become like an urban version of South Beach Diet.

It's popularity will spread coast to coast, and everyone will lose weight and be happier and there will be no more subject matter for american-reality TV to use for those shows like "Five-Tonne-Mom" and "I'm Too Fat to Walk"... sure those people die from heart disease at around 25 yrs old anyway, but at least their right to drink 2-gallon sodas wasn't infringed upon during their youth.

Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:15:03 AM

When people make themselves so obese and unhealthy it is not right for the rest of us to have to pay for their poor decisions. Insurance companies should be free to drop them from coverage, airlines should be able to charge obese people double the ticket price, the government should not steal the hard earned money from responsible people to then give a hand out to fat asses who made their own problems.

If someone is disabled through no fault of their own, then sure I am more than willing to give them a big helping hand.

If they brought it on themselves then no one owes them anything.

Anarchy! Survival of the fittest! Darwinism in action! Bring it on!

littlemissbitch
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:18:20 AM

Buz wrote:
In my opinion it's not any government's business what people consume. Furthermore, the government should not be footing the medical bill for people who choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Their decision and they should have to pay for it and reap the consequences themselves.

totally agree and its the crux of the problem. we DO foot the bill. I saw a thing on facebook that said "im not saying kill all the stupid people, just take the warning labels off everything and let it sort itself out" i say this is a good idea ;)

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:24:39 AM

Obesity is a huge problem. Being comfortable on an airplane isn't a right or freedom. You could just as easily be sitting next to some dude that smells like a week's worth of sweaty ass.

Most fat people are fat because they haven't made the right decision with their diet. Everyone can't and won't look like they've been on p90x either. I'm not dismissing obesity as an issue. Truth of the matter is, a large portion are fat strictly out of a lack of ambition or desire to do what needs to be done to lose weight. But I'm sorry. I just do not see government reaching in in this manner.

Government can find other ways to promote healthy diet. Tax breaks for gym memberships. Better and healthier school lunches. Give businesses some incentive to have Wellness Centers at the office. I'm sure there are better ways to get through to the public. This one will have little or no effect on the problem. And it is a slippery slope. Each little intrusion that seems insignificant makes it easier to get to something that is significant. We can't just ban things or how things are used just because they're unhealthy.

The sun causes skin cancer. Are we going to regulate how much time a person can be outside?
Our air is full of toxins. Are we going to regulate how much people breathe?
Double cheeseburgers are too fatty. Are we going to regulate it down to only single burgers are legal?
Eggs have cholesterol. YOu can't have two eggs over easy anymore, just one.

The war on drugs hasn't and won't work. The war on obseity, if carried out like this, will be just as successful.

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:31:06 AM

perspective from abroad --

This measure was discussed this morning on news radio here in Brasil. Unfortunatly Americans don´t have a good rep when the conversation is Health. The numbers that Sprite presented are talked about constantly as outrageously absurd. The consensus was that the the majority of the NYC population needed to be supervised in their eating choices and this was discussed at length with sarcastic and humourus tones at times.

Does anyone know if similars laws exist anywhere else in the world? I don´t ever recall reading about them in any other countries? (
I could be wrong with this assertion)

There is something fundamentally wrong with American health education that leads to this. In my opinion this is what needs to be debated and not the constitutional validity of size limitations of a product that everyone has aggreed to be unhealthy.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:32:58 AM

Re: LM's last post.

LOL... Do you know any really obese people? You can't PAY them to go to the gym... A tax break.....bahahaha!

You can't regulate things like going outside... Don't be silly. You CAN regulate portion sizes and put no will power having people to the test.. Order two or three drinks.. If its your right and perfectly fine then their desire to drink themselves to death should override the embarrassment of getting soda for two for one.

The thing about slippery slopes like saying that one egg only is next or just turkey burgers hasn't happened yet.. It's not a point about anything. That's like saying weed shouldn't be legalized and taxed cause what's next!?!?!? Heroin, meth and crack in school lunches!?!?!?!?

littlemissbitch
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:34:49 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

Yes, it will make a difference.

The soda-holics will now have to carry two drinks around which leaves no spare hand which which to carry the Triple Bacon 'n Grease Whopper.

Maybe The NYC Two-Cup-Diet is destined to become like an urban version of South Beach Diet.

It's popularity will spread coast to coast, and everyone will lose weight and be happier and there will be no more subject matter for american-reality TV to use for those shows like "Five-Tonne-Mom" and "I'm Too Fat to Walk"... sure those people die from heart disease at around 25 yrs old anyway, but at least their right to drink 2-gallon sodas wasn't infringed upon during their youth.

this was funny and i know you were being facetious but i say let em die from heart disease at 25 if they want. fingers crossed they havent bred yet and taught another generation how to kill themselves with bad personal choices.

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:38:09 AM

I think the mayor needs to focus on more serious problems rather than trying to be the food and drink police. Yes, it would be healthier for people to practice portion control and eat healthier foods, but have we all forgotten about personal responsibility? The last thing we need now is intrusive laws which would place a burden on businesses.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:39:04 AM

littlemissbitch wrote:

this was funny and i know you were being facetious but i say let em die from heart disease at 25 if they want. fingers crossed they havent bred yet and taught another generation how to kill themselves with bad personal choices.

Wishful thinking... Apples rarely fall far from the tree. Sometimes a sweet apple will grow on a sour apple tree but that sweet apple will move to California or something and shake their head at the sour apples yelling about their freedom to pork out big time.

sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:41:54 AM

1curiouscat wrote:
perspective from abroad --

This measure was discussed this morning on news radio here in Brasil. Unfortunatly Americans don´t have a good rep when the conversation is Health. The numbers that Sprite presented are talked about constantly as outrageously absurd. The consensus was that the the majority of the NYC population needed to be supervised in their eating choices and this was discussed at length with sarcastic and humourus tones at times.

Does anyone know if similars laws exist anywhere else in the world? I don´t ever recall reading about them in any other countries? (
I could be wrong with this assertion)

There is something fundamentally wrong with American health education that leads to this. In my opinion this is what needs to be debated and not the constitutional validity of size limitations of a product that everyone has aggreed to be unhealthy.

What is sad is, the first lady, Ms. Obama, has been criticized for her stance on getting kids to eat healthy and get enough exercise over her. in America, we ridicule people for trying to create a healthy culture. i am tease for being a vegetarian on a regular basis. unless i go into a restaurant that caters to vegetarians, my choices are rather limited. in fact, sometimes it's hard to even find a salad that doesn't have meat in it, and i get tired of having to order special - "yeah, can i have the mandarin salad WITHOUT chicken?" - "Well, yeah, but it'll be an extra dollar for a menu change and we'll have to have Tom hand pick all the chicken out of our pre-made salad mixes. Don't worry, I'll ask him to wash his hands first and not spit in your salad."

and sadly, you can eat cheaper if you eat unhealthy - people out of work or who are poor, traditionally have more weight issues AND have a harder time affording health care and there's more and more of them out there these days. it's a growing epidemic.

Love not hate.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:42:16 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
Re: LM's last post.

LOL... Do you know any really obese people? You can't PAY them to go to the gym... A tax break.....bahahaha!

You can't regulate things like going outside... Don't be silly. You CAN regulate portion sizes and put no will power having people to the test.. Order two or three drinks.. If its your right and perfectly fine then their desire to drink themselves to death should override the embarrassment of getting soda for two for one.

The thing about slippery slopes like saying that one egg only is next or just turkey burgers hasn't happened.. It's not a point about anything. That's like saying weed shouldn't be legalized and taxed cause what's next!?!?!? Heroin, meth and crack in school lunches!?!?!?!?

I know obese people. But a tax break would be available for everyone. The people who are borderline. Regular people who have become less active as they get older and have kids. Offer them some money and it may push them to the gym.

You could regulate things like too much tv. Monitor a person's watch time, throttle it like cell companines.

Maybe next we should ban the sale of 40oz beer. Unless it's Lite beer.

sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:42:48 AM

Magical_felix wrote:

Wishful thinking... Apples rarely fall far from the tree. Sometimes a sweet apple will grow on a sour apple tree but that sweet apple will move to California or something and shake their head at the sour apples yelling about their freedom to pork out big time.

apples are good for you too :)

Love not hate.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:43:26 AM

suezq wrote:
I think the mayor needs to focus on more serious problems rather than trying to be the food and drink police. Yes, it would be healthier for people to practice portion control and eat healthier foods, but have we all forgotten about personal responsibility? The last thing we need now is intrusive laws which would place a burden on businesses.

Yes, yes most of us have forgotten personal responsibility. That's why this law exists. If people were responsible we wouldn't be discussing this now.

sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:45:22 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

I know obese people. But a tax break would be available for everyone. The people who are borderline. Regular people who have become less active as they get older and have kids. Offer them some money and it may push them to the gym.

You could regulate things like too much tv. Monitor a person's watch time, throttle it like cell companines.

one thing i'd like to point out. Beer, at least, is age controlled. 21 or over. Kids don't know how to make good choices. perhaps we could just make it so you can't buy a 32oz big gulp unliess you're 21 or older. :) seriously, what 10 yo kid needs 32 oz of coke?

Love not hate.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:45:50 AM

sprite wrote:

What is sad is, the first lady, Ms. Obama, has been criticized for her stance on getting kids to eat healthy and get enough exercise over her. in America, we ridicule people for trying to create a healthy culture. i am tease for being a vegetarian on a regular basis. unless i go into a restaurant that caters to vegetarians, my choices are rather limited. in fact, sometimes it's hard to even find a salad that doesn't have meat in it, and i get tired of having to order special - "yeah, can i have the mandarin salad WITHOUT chicken?" - "Well, yeah, but it'll be an extra dollar for a menu change and we'll have to have Tom hand pick all the chicken out of our pre-made salad mixes. Don't worry, I'll ask him to wash his hands first and not spit in your salad."

and sadly, you can eat cheaper if you eat unhealthy - people out of work or who are poor, traditionally have more weight issues AND have a harder time affording health care and there's more and more of them out there these days. it's a growing epidemic.

Now this I completely agree with. This happens all the time. People love to crucify the messenger who breaks up the status quo.

edit.. and yes I realize that may seem hypocritical with my above statements. but promoting heathy culture is different than legislating it

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:51:11 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

But all the people you just described like borderline people or anyone that goes to the gym aren't the ones we are getting second hand fat from. It's the borderline slow adults that think Doritos, nacho cheese and purple drink is called lunch. Those are the ones who sloth around for years until needing a triple bypass. That fat bitch probably doesnt have stellar insurance cause they probably don't even go to a doctor on the regular.

I didn't understand the watch argument or the cell thing. EDIT: wait I do, more of the same.

And the 40 oz thing makes me think you don't understand proper debate so I won't touch on that anymore..

I understand why you are up in arms about this LM. But I think if it was an outright banning of soda I'd be more in your side. But this is just a reminder. I doubt this shit will even be seriously enforced. I think it's more to get people to think before they order. If not for their own health but for the people that care about them and have to take care of them when they get too fat to take care of themselves. It's not just themselves that really obese people affect.

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:51:15 AM

sprite wrote:

Grr. That pissed me off so much when all that uproar happened. How dare anyone suggest that Yum! Brands® not get richer off the fatbacks of our growing obesity culture?

Of course, a good chunk of that was just racist Republican hate-speech thinly disguised as a push-back on policy.

But still, its weird how defensive Americans get about our god-awful habits and practiced values (which run blatantly counter to what somebody will verbally own up to).
Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:51:40 AM

We are all preaching to the choir! We're all young. trim & HOT!

An interesting point Sprite made about age control. 21 being the minimum drinking age in the USA. It is much younger in most of the rest of the modern world. I think that if we as a nation believe that a person is not responsible enough to buy alcohol until 21, then it should be considered criminal to send anyone 18-20 into a war zone as part of the military. Also they should never be tried as an adult for any crime they commit. We have one fucked up justice system and two-faced way of doing things. Government is out of control. It is up to us to haul the politicians in. Vote out ALL incumbents, especially the members of the the two corrupt parties, the Democrats & the Republicans.

The Democrats spew just as much racist hate speech as the Republicans, maybe more. But they are both highly guilty!

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:55:03 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Now this I completely agree with. This happens all the time. People love to crucify the messenger who breaks up the status quo.

edit.. and yes I realize that may seem hypocritical with my above statements. but promoting heathy culture is different than legislating it

Yes, and we all saw what happened with McDonald's Healthy Choices menu.

Promoting a healthy culture doesn't work, when the majority are unhealthy. If you live in a town where everyone is fat, what real incentive do you have for busting your ass to get in shape? There's a reason why people who live in certain cities are more health-conscious - it's because everyone else is the same way and if they let themselves go they will narrow their dating-and-mating options and the kids will risk ridicule. People are more likely to step up their game when everyone else is of the same mindset. Otherwise, (based on obesity stats) why are people in California thinner than the people in Mississippi? They're both Americans and subject to the same rights and rules, right?

At the end of the day you can lead a horse to water, but sometimes that horse wants a gallon of cream soda - not water. happy8