Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Do you think big cities in the USA are children-unfriendly?

last reply
9 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was watching a video on youtube about American expats living in Latin America. A young couple with a 4 years old girl, was talking about their experience in Buenos Aires, Argentine.

Their whole experience was positive, they remarked how they had the school of their daughter and their work at walking distance.

But they most impressive thing they found was how kid-welcoming Buenos Aires was. They used to go out at night, and there were families with kids at the restaurants. "that would be unheard of in New York. There people with kids must have a separate lifestyle than the rest of society", they said.

I found this a bit sad. Kids are the future of any society, how come parents are given a hard time just because they have kids?

Have a look at the video, is very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXzyvwYksY
Lurker
0 likes
They're given a hard time because they don't know how to raise them properly. I've been to a few different countries and how the children behave in comparison to American children is a wide difference. Also American's can be quite selfish. They think the world revolves around them individually.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I haven´t been to the USA, but do children there behave so badly that seems to be a problem their very presence in a restaurant? IMO it doesnt seem healthy to segregate groups of people like that.
The Linebacker
0 likes
It's not the city's fault. The city does not raise kids. It's the parent's fault!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Before you go pointing fingers...
How many people get upset when they see a child being disciplined in public?
About the same amount of people that get upset that a child is being unruly and loud out in public and ruining their evening out.
If I so much as lay a hand on my child in public, how many people are grabbing their cell phones and dialing 911 or the local Children's Aid?

I have removed my kids from restaurants, shopping malls and grocery stores because they wouldn't behave.
I have also seen parents with children that KNOW they can get away with it because their parents are afraid to discipline them.
The backlash they might receive from others sticking their nose into someone else's business is quite apparent in their minds.
Don't put all the blame on the parents. Welcome to the world of the government stepping in to protect the few and having it blown way out of proportion.

I know there's lazy parents out there, but there's good ones with their hands tied because of public disapproval. You're damned if you do... and damned if you don't.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Lately, I've done a lot of watching when I'm in public around parents with their children. No question about it, I've seen a lot of misbehaving kids, accompanied by parents that apparently can't be bothered to put the bratty behavior in check. But I've also seen a lot of people who look like their god-given right to never be around children is being violated. I've seen assholes sneer in the direction of a mother when her baby cries. I've seen eyes roll when a mother breastfeeds in public, even if she's using a cover so that nobody (god forbid!) might even accidentally see any of her flesh. I've seen kids that do anything more than sit perfectly still and mute get looks from others as if they've smashed a loved ones ashes gleefully on the floor.

As discussed in another thread, we as Americans are slipping when it comes to parenting, I don't think there's any disputing that. But I'm also seeing a lot of zero-tolerance when it comes to children in public. Nobody guaranteed you a meal without hearing or seeing children, and I think there might be just a touch of revisionist history when it comes to children in generations past. Kids were never perfect, nor were their parents. Nor are all parents and kids awful now. It won't kill us to all be a bit more tolerant, in my opinion.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by justagreeting
I haven´t been to the USA, but do children there behave so badly that seems to be a problem their very presence in a restaurant? IMO it doesnt seem healthy to segregate groups of people like that.

Yes they do. We've become a society of political correctness and listening to too many "professionals" about raising our children. Instead of teaching our children what's expected of them in public, parents wait until they're actually in a public place before telling or should I say asking their children to "please stop that". Over and over and over again. Then there's this issue.

About the same amount of people that get upset that a child is being unruly and loud out in public and ruining their evening out.
If I so much as lay a hand on my child in public, how many people are grabbing their cell phones and dialing 911 or the local Children's Aid?

I on the other hand, look the parent dead in the eye if I can get their attention, and say or mouth the word BRAVO! If they're close enough to me I tell them Good for you mom/dad. You're raising them right. Now don't misunderstand me. If I see a person putting a child in danger I will and have physically stopped them before. And called the police. But if it's a crack on the ass or on the hands for too much messing about, I always let them know I support them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

I have removed my kids from restaurants, shopping malls and grocery stores because they wouldn't behave.
I have also seen parents with children that KNOW they can get away with it because their parents are afraid to discipline them.
The backlash they might receive from others sticking their nose into someone else's business is quite apparent in their minds.
Don't put all the blame on the parents. Welcome to the world of the government stepping in to protect the few and having it blown way out of proportion.

I know there's lazy parents out there, but there's good ones with their hands tied because of public disapproval. You're damned if you do... and damned if you don't.

The problem is, if parents don't discipline at home then it's not going to work in public. I've seen parents yell at their kids in public and you can see the kids are shocked. Like they've never been corrected before. Truly well behaved kids learn at home.

It's unreasonable to expect kids to sit perfectly quiet and still. Many "non parents" don't get that. Parents are the beginning and the end of the behavior of their kids.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Fair enough. That's entirely true, too.
My daughter was and is a well-behaved kid and I did take her out to nice places when she was much younger.
I've had people come over and tell me they were impressed I had such a well-behaved child.

My son on the other hand... YIKES!
Absolutely no way would I ever take him into those same places.
He fidgets and messes about and wears half his meal.

Sometimes its the child's disposition that factors in.
I raised both of them same way but obviously I need to brush up on my tactics for the youngest one.
I have demanded proper manners from them and both say "Please & Thank You" or there's hell to pay.
But the youngest will never be as well-behaved at a dinner table like his sister was at the same age. No matter how hard I try.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I totally agree. Some kids have a cranky disposition, especially when babies or toddlers. When they can't quite grasp your concepts of behaving. For us it was opposite. My son was an angel. From the day he was born we could take him anywhere. He'd sit still and look around the room. Quiet and easy going. My daughter on the other hand was like a Tasmanian Devil. She was completely unable to sit still and/or quiet. She HATED to be in a seated position. So, WE as parents didn't go out to dinner. It was a disruption to others and we didn't enjoy our meals. Once she got a little older and was able to control herself and understand our rules, we once again went out to dinner. It wasn't fun, it wasn't easy on us. But we did what needed to be done.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates