Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

50 Shades of Grey hits 20 million sales in the US alone - it could happen to YOU!

last reply
18 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just finished the last book in the trilogy this afternoon, and was wondering when 50 Shades would be mentioned, here. It IS good news... and given what I've read from my favourite authors on Lush, it really could happen to any of them.

What I loved the most about the stories was that the female protagonist was an "everywoman"... or maybe an "everygirl", as she was very young. smile E L James writes like I would talk, even uses some of my favourite phrases, and it's written in first person present, which is my favourite tense for erotica. The story is funny, wicked, hot, tender, scary and sad. I started reading the first book on Tuesday, I think... 4 days ago... and I absolutely inhaled all 3 books by this afternoon.

I've been suffering from horrific writers' block for weeks...

but I think this has refreshed me enough to want to try again...

Highly recommended!!!
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks for the synopsis T_Elle.

This is the beautiful thing about ease with which authors can promote themselves these days.

Even in the microcosm of lush, which serves 40 million page impressions per month, there's a good chance the cream will rise to the top and be "discovered".
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Just negotiate a publishing deal which serves up 36 million of your scribbles to be used as primer

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Thanks for the synopsis T_Elle.

This is the beautiful thing about ease with which authors can promote themselves these days.

Even in the microcosm of lush, which serves 40 million page impressions per month, there's a good chance the cream will rise to the top and be "discovered".

It's an interesting time, already there are huge posters in most book shops marketing this publication under the banner "If you loved 50 shades you need to read..."

Whether this will just be this summer's thing or a long term change in the mood towards erotic fiction remains to be seen. Obviously the kindle has helped massively, being a complete game changer. Viral blockbusters aren't a new thing in erotic fiction, I can think of Emmanuelle and 9 1/2 weeks that received similar notoriety - if not sales. There are also the classic gems such as Lady Chatterley and 120 days of Sodom, but while these have led to changes in an acceptance of eroticism in fiction, it's still not made the genre move much beyond a single shelf of anonymous authored paperbacks in the darkest corner of the bookshop.

With publishers struggling to find the next big thing, it wouldn't surprise me at all if literary agents are scouting sites like Lush to find talent.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That was hiliarous DM ^ ^

I too have noticed in a few book stores and large department stores the whole "If you loved 50 shades then you will love..."

Just almost a decade ago Wizards and Magic were huge because of Harry Potter. Then of course Twilight came out and there were floods of vampire/ supernatural stories became popluar.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
According to the late Kurt Cobain, one of the proudest moments of his career was when he was notified that Weird Al wanted to parody Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I've not read "50 shades," but I will say that the above picture is proof positive that its author Has Arrived.
My novel, The Society, is available now in the Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-Society-ebook/dp/B00BPF9U2I
0 likes
I have to agree with everyone on the point that I find it astounding that the book has done so well. Having dabbled in writing for Lush I do find it inspiring that E.L. James started off online writing erotic fiction.

Having read the book though I did find it entertaining but I think the more I think about it the more realistic I become. I guess the success lies in that it is all fantasy and it's easy to get swept up in it. That said, I do believe there are a lot of writers on Lush that are far better writers and with some luck I hope that they can get discovered too.

Holly x

P.S. I found this satire hilarious
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
The 50 Shades Trilogy was the 1st thing my cousin's wife & I could talk about & it opened up not only a great dialogue about the books, but it opened a door for the two of us to become friends. She read the books when I had posted on Facebook that I was reading them. After reading them, I thought, I could do this, so I dusted off some old stories I had written, re-read them, edited them, and began to post. Since then, I've had a lot of positive (and a few negative) feedback which has inspired me to continue writing. I have personally always wanted to become a published writer... maybe, thanks to sites like Lush... I'll do it.

Thank you to anyone who's read my stories & given me feedback btw... you've inspired me to be a better writer.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ever since 50 Shades of Grey came out. There is heaps of Erotic fiction in the department stores I have been to lately.

I bought a wonderful retelling of Jane Eyre called "Jane Eyre Laid Bare" I haven't got the book on me at present to say the author.

Oh and I really laughed and fell in love with "50 Shades of Mr Darcy" by William Codpiece Thackery. biggrin
"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by MarySweets
Ever since 50 Shades of Grey came out. There is heaps of Erotic fiction in the department stores I have been to lately.

I bought a wonderful retelling of Jane Eyre called "Jane Eyre Laid Bare" I haven't got the book on me at present to say the author.

Oh and I really laughed and fell in love with "50 Shades of Mr Darcy" by William Codpiece Thackery. biggrin

That's good for all authors on here, and for our site in general
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

You know you make it as an Erotic author when: Jimmy Fallon hosts a karaoke session based on your book lol.

Just had to share.
"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
Lurker
0 likes
About 6 months ago me and my girl were at the mall. And she pointed out one of books to me. She told me co-workers were talking about it. So I figured we should read a little bit of the story. I pick up 50 shades of grey (I forget what the other two boooks are called my bad) and we read 50 pages of the story. I kept my thoughts to myself and let her tell me what she thought on what she had read. she said it was alright. I think I have jaded her sad She is the first one to read my stories and so she compairs other writings to mine (I write all types of stories) and she gets a little cynical. She thinks my writing is on a different level and so do I and she gets frustrated that I have not had the same success. But I've come to realize that readers have likes and I've told her this. Ironically, her friends that read 50 shades started trying to encourage me to get published. lol and I'm like what do you think I'm trying to do. I've come to realize even if you are the best storyteller on the planet it has nothing to do with your odds of getting 20 million in sales. My point is if are a writer that thinks they are not that good at telling a story don't worry, don't give up. That doesn't mean you can't be a big success and this book is proof. And to the ones that think they are the shit at telling a story it doesn't mean you will sale 20 million books. I know this first hand. Eitherway in the end just keep trying.