19 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Teens who watch Sex in the City more likely to get pregnant
Rosemary Bennett, Social Affairs Correspondent

Teenagers who watch Sex in the City, Friends and other TV shows featuring sex scenes and discussions of sex are far more likely to get pregnant or get someone else pregnant than their peers, a new study has found.

The study, which tracked more than 700 sexually active teenagers aged between 12 and 17 for three years, discovered that those who viewed the most sexual content were almost twice as likely to get pregnant or get their girlfriend pregnant as those who saw the least explicit TV.

The study was lead by Anita Chandra, a behavioural scientist at RAND, an independent research organisation. It is published in Pediatrics, the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Dr Chandra said that sexual content on TV had doubled in recent years, coinciding with teenage pregnancy rates edging up after decades of decline.

“We were surprised to find this link. But teens spend a good amount of their time watching television — an average of three hours a day — and we don’t know a lot about its impact on their health decisions,” she said.

“Watching this kind of sexual content on television is a powerful factor in increasing the likelihood of a teen pregnancy. We found a strong association.”

Studies have found a link between watching television shows with sexual content and becoming sexually active earlier, and between sexually explicit music videos and an increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases.

But this is the first research to show an association between TV watching and teenage pregnancy.

Dr Chandra and her colleagues surveyed more than 2,000 adolescents aged between 12 and 17 from 2001 to 2004 to gather information about a variety of behavioural and demographic factors, including television viewing habits. They then analysed the sexual content of 23 shows in the 2000-2001 season, and calculated how often the teenagers saw characters kissing, touching, having sex, and discussing past or future sexual activity.

The shows included Sex in the City and Friends, dramas, comedies, reality shows and animated programmes on broadcast and cable networks. Sitcoms had the highest sexual content.

Among the 718 youths who reported being sexually active during the study, the likelihood of getting pregnant or getting someone else pregnant increased steadily with the amount of sexual content they watched, the researchers found.

About 25 per cent of those who watched the most were involved in a pregnancy, compared with about 12 per cent of those who watched the least. The researchers said that they took into account other factors such as being from a one-parent family, wanting to have a baby and engaging in other risky behaviours.

“We don’t think that [TV] is necessarily more significant than some of the family and neighbourhood factors that can lead to teen pregnancies. But even when we removed all the other factors, we still saw a compelling link between a high exposure to sexual content on television and teen pregnancies,” Dr Chandra said.
Matriarch
0 likes
They'll be doing studies concerning sex story sites next
Fireman
0 likes
Quote by Lush
They'll be doing studies concerning sex story sites next

What a waste of money and time.
Lurker
0 likes
I thought this would get people more angry than the GPS lingerie thread. I know I am, because this study is so flawed.
Lush Legend
0 likes
They have a study for everything and everyone knows very well that a study can be swayed to fit anyone's agenda........
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Fireman
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
They have a study for everything and everyone knows very well that a study can be swayed to fit anyone's agenda........

So true. The next study will be on people visiting sex websites. Hmmm, I wonder what they will say.
Lurker
0 likes
oh horseshit.
Lurker
0 likes
It doesn't sound like a very scientific study. She tries to link the amount of sex on television with the amount of sexually active teens. Who says there's a correlation? It's like the correlation that was made years ago about the stock market going up whenever hemlines on dresses went up. No scientific basis at all. It seems to me this was all just an observation made.

Among the 718 youths who reported being sexually active during the study, the likelihood of getting pregnant or getting someone else pregnant increased steadily with the amount of sexual content they watched, the researchers found.

How do you measure the likelihood?

To be sure, there's a lot of sexuality on television. Maybe there's too much; that's up to the viewers and parents to decide. I'm one who thinks our kids are growing up way too fast and the media is responsible for a lot of it. We did a big thread on this previously.
It brings up what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Where are the parents in all this?

About 25 per cent of those who watched the most were involved in a pregnancy

So one in four teens that watch a lot of sexuality on television are going to get pregnant? Give me a break. I think Anita Chandra should be named "Anita Dick". Just kidding, just kidding.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Geez, teens should be watching TV 24/7 so they wouldn't have time to get pregnant. Unless they did it doggystyle in front of the screen so both kids could watch.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks Tech. Guess I cut to the chase huh?
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Thanks Tech. Guess I cut to the chase huh?

you always do Chef.....
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
I don't see the rub with study. It does not say all kids who watch will do so. I cites elevated numbers. Makes perfect sense to me. You expose someone to something delicious-sounding, looks easy to attain, and does not give real-life perspectives to consequences and pitfalls, and sure, their interest, desire and confidence in it "working for them" just like on t.v. is going to be increased. Tease yourself with something desireable for long enough, and your desire increases. Take away some of the stimulus, and it subsides. We are talking teenagers here You are adults reacting. Apples and oranges.

If you play in the sandbox long enough, you are gonna get sand in your pants/panties....
Lurker
0 likes
I don't see the rub with study. It does not say all kids who watch will do so. I cites elevated numbers. Makes perfect sense to me. You expose someone to something delicious-sounding, looks easy to attain, and does not give real-life perspectives to consequences and pitfalls, and sure, their interest, desire and confidence in it "working for them" just like on t.v. is going to be increased. Tease yourself with something desireable for long enough, and your desire increases. Take away some of the stimulus, and it subsides. We are talking teenagers here You are adults reacting. Apples and oranges.

If you play in the sandbox long enough, you are gonna get sand in your pants/panties....
Lurker
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Some slap Chase, he's got the hivc-ups. BAD.

Bat
Lurker
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes
HOLY COW!!!!!!!
Lurker
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes
here we go again! LOL
Lurker
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes
Sorry, folks. I am in Iraq, and the little network I subscribe to is poorly managed....when I post, and get back a white screen or it appears to time out, I hit the refresh button. Unbeknownst to me, it keeps posting, but I can't see beyond the white screen or the "acceleration error' messages.

I am not a fanatic who yells louder and repeats myself to be heard. Nor am I trying to boost my total posts tally to win something delicious and memorable from Lush. Just a victim of a bad connection. I do try to be a good citizen and clean up my messes, promptly.
Lurker
0 likes
LMAO!!
The white screen of death!

Speaking of again...
How long are you planning on staying over there?
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks for your patience with my network connections....

I will race home the minute there is a decent job available in my city of residence.

After the elections, I am wondering about that ever coming to pass, or if I should be looking to shift back to Afghanistan. For now, I am here until 30 June 2009, making it 5 years and 4 mos. since I left home.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Chase, they need a kettlecorn popper there. I'll be on the next train. plane or automobile.

Bat