Did Obama win yet?

last reply
40 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Does it really make a difference? Change to what?
Fireman
0 likes
As much as I like Obama and I hope he wins. Politics and sex don't mix.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Its going to be crazy here in Chicago tomorrow they are expecting like over a million people in the downtown area.....you can feel the pressure in the air.....Keeping my fingers crossed!!!....whooo hooooooo
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
Change is good if it means the end of the current administration. Dems should win by a land slide after 8 years of failure
I can't believe it is even close.
Matriarch
0 likes
The US is in an economic downtown, and putting anyone new in charge isn't going to make a massive difference short term.

I think Obama could lift the spirits though, he talks a good game.

Yes, I shouldn't mix business and pleasure, but thought we should have at least one political thread seeing the election is tomorrow
Fireman
0 likes
Quote by Lush
The US is in an economic downtown, and putting anyone new in charge isn't going to make a massive difference short term.

I think Obama could lift the spirits though, he talks a good game.

Yes, I shouldn't mix business and pleasure, but thought we should have at least one political thread seeing the election is tomorrow

In that case, I hope Obama kicks ass.
Lurker
0 likes
I voted. good girl ain't I?
Lush Legend
0 likes
Me too!!!....
Fireman
0 likes
I also voted. A couple of days ago.
Lurker
0 likes
We's good peoples.
Lurker
0 likes
A friend of mine works for the Illinois Democratic Party, and she says this won't be close, and was essentially wrapped up about a month ago.

Just in case though, any fellow Chicagoans might want to stay well away from Grant Park, just in case the old guy wins. The 1 million or so natives gathering there tonight might get a bit restless if that happens.

Lia
Lurker
0 likes
man, people can be so stupid.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by Juliasari
A friend of mine works for the Illinois Democratic Party, and she says this won't be close, and was essentially wrapped up about a month ago.

Just in case though, any fellow Chicagoans might want to stay well away from Grant Park, just in case the old guy wins. The 1 million or so natives gathering there tonight might get a bit restless if that happens.

Lia

Yeah I am staying far away from there for that same reason.....would love to be part of that....but I have seen how this City reacts to things in a negative manner.... ....LOL!
Lurker
0 likes
Good one.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
Well I am just going to stay safely tucked in bed recovering from a migraine that had me completely down for the count this AM. Sooo glad I voted absentee ballot. Decided to do so when my son was in the hospital and I wasn't sure how long he would be there. (He went back to school this week...doing well thanks to everyone's well wishes).

Our school's mock election results: Obama 65% McCain 35%

Please enjoy my current story competition entry:

Alisha Unleashed

Book Four in the Mac and Grace Saga begins:

Boardrooms & Boudoirs

And the latest micros:

Sheer Perfection & Still Fuckin’ Hot

Fireworks & Bliss

Lurker
0 likes
How weird. I've had a headache all day. Like my BP is up or something.
Lurker
0 likes
no kidding. First think I did when I got on IM was ask hubs if we were due for a weather change.
Lurker
0 likes
First term senator had 130 days with the senate in session of which he attended 78 times. Now Is that called experience?

He was absent from the duties he was elected to represent 45% of the time?
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by Pam111
First term senator had 130 days with the senate in session of which he attended 78 times. Now Is that called experience?

He was absent from the duties he was elected to represent 45% of the time?

Have a drink Pam..it will soon be all over with.....
Lush Legend
0 likes
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OBAMA is DECLARED PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Matriarch
0 likes
McCain was gracious in defeat. Surprised he didn't offer Sarah Palin a spot at the microphone once his speech was over.

I hope Obama can bring about the change the US people are seeking.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lush, can the wife and I move down under?

I feel for this country and it's future.

Batman
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by Lush
I hope Obama can bring about the change the US people are seeking.

I hope so too Lush.....sooo excited!!!!.......
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Batman
Lush, can the wife and I move down under?

I feel for this country and it's future.

Batman

Try www.immi.gov.au to see if you meet the requirements!

I think if you have over a million Aus $ (700K US$ at the moment), you can buy your way in, but I'm not sure. That wouldn't get you a decent 3 bedroom house anywhere close to Sydney though

I can't comment on the US situation directly, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems the American people voted in the right candidate.

Now all he has to do is perform miracles.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
I got up this morning and asked my husband what color our president was.....LOL
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Lurker
0 likes
he's tan
Lurker
0 likes
I can take the heat that I know will follow this post -

What did Bush do that constitutes failure?

There have been no further acts of terrorism on American soil. Don't kid yourself that there have not been attempts. No further comment.

His attempts to see that Social Security was funded far into the future was spun beyond a chance of passing due to (see Rocco's post on Complexity Theories and Hoaxes and "State of Fear")

The Patriot Act has not compromised one American citizen's rights or happiness.

Now, I already know the "Bush Lied, People Died" mantra of the emotionally overwrought special interest, minority and ignorance-is-bliss crowd. Oh, and the Halliburton contracts, Cheney and big oil, and Enron and World-com debacles.... Folks, I have been involved in the GWOT since before it started. I was on my way from my position sitting in an underground control bunker when the 9-11 jets took off, and was called back in within a few hours, and have seen both Halliburton and Bush's work. Mistakes have been made, but there were no secret deals, pre-conceived lies or people sent into combat spuriously or without serious consideration and deliberations. For those of you who continue to believe the tripe of the left, i give you Cindy Sheehan and the faux heroes now in jail for their false wearng of medals, impersonating soldiers, and the lies of atrocities they told. And Lying John Murtha.

Halliburton contracts were signed under Clinton's administration.

The current Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac debacles were creations of the Clinton administration who first pressured banks to lend money to people who were seriously insolvent and high risks (i.e., minority voters) and then created Freddie to create more competition and access to money for more spurious loans.

Enough of the past.

Barry Obama is not really black. He is not even half. He is 1/16th black, or 6.25%. He has leveraged his ethnicity for poliitical expediency. He learned about affirmative action and such from way back. He served 143 days in the Senate, and has more no shows for votes than 50 other senators combined. He never wrote a bill that became law, either in Illinois or Washington. He has never hired or fired anyone, beyond his chief of staff in his Senate office, and I suspect that those decisions came with heavy guidance from senior Dimocrats. He has no familiarity with the armed services, their lives, their sacrifices, or in any level of command. Sarah Palin as head of the Alaska Guard had more experience than Mr. Obama.

Mr. Obama has never had to create or manage a budget. He has never made decisions about sending troops into combat, or a prisoner to the execution chair. He has never had to account for his actions to a board of directors, or to have his decisions or wild-haired ideas really put to a vote.

In this campaign he has never really elucidated on those plans, but his belief in gov't as a panacea or in capable and efficient management is naiive and paternalistic. He has no historical perspective on economics, tying himself to proven failed systems that bring no one up, but instead settle for mediocrity in the name of equality for all. He is a Marxist. His judgment in his associations in the past, and his honesty and clarity about them now are suspect.

This man, given a majority in both houses of Congress will now have unlimited and unchecked power, and will elevate judges from the scirrilous 9th District and San Francisco, the Margaret Sanger fan club, to the Supreme Court and federal benches throughout the land. Look for major changes in federally funding (your money) paying for abortions on demand, partial birth abortions, physician-assisted suicide (already ok'd in Washington) and probably euthenasia initiatives for the mentally or physicall infirm. This is the tip of an iceberg none of us can foresee.

Already a church is having their tax-exempt status reviewed when the minister refused to allow or to perform a same-sex marriage. Can anyone see this as a lawyer-driven liberal agenda item, clearing the way for denigration and marginalization of any morally guiding figures or establishments in our society? Then there will be the man-loves boy groups, and who knows what else.

Now, I am not ranting conspiracies about hollywood looking to remove XXX film rating and limits for children, or the like, and I am not suggesting that Mr Obama has these things in his mind, for now.

Neither do I think that Mr. Obama conceived and managed this successful campaign on his own, without some backing and encouragment by hidden and wiser, more experienced powers. What is on their agenda, i do not know. But, I admit to being worried about it all.

Yes, changes in DC would be nice. Less focus in DC and people there to start. Put the power back in the statehouses. Make our local and state leaders and their issues more mainstream. Provide the president with line item veto to get rid of pork, waste, patronage and stupidity in spending. Term limits on the people in Congress - go home and earn an honest living, change and reduce the power of seniority, and bring in fresh ideas, energy, and perspectives. Incumbents win 96% of the time, and being elected once is nearly a coronation. Reduce the retirement benefits to 1) make it less attractive as a career, forcing them to go home and continue as doctors, lawyers, businessmen, accountants, entrepreneurs, whatever, and 2) if we are going to have to live with nationalized health, so should those responsible for its creation, funding and limitations. What I would really like to see is Congress in session for 3-4 month, sticking to their constitutionally-mandated arenas - passing a budget, confirming judges, ratifying treaties, and updating laws - and then send them back home! Quit with the grandstanding, the investigation of sports leagues and deceased rap icons, and the reckless endangering of citizens in the capital from drunk Kennedy's in cars, police-slapping McKinneys, and page-boy chasing others.

Change for changes' sake is pointless. Do we really need as much government as we pay for?

This election, moreso than some in the past, was a war of cultures. We have, apparently now, a majority of people who want things from the govt and expect that it can provide. We have in the minority the people who know govt cannot provide. Hard work, markets, risk, investment create and engender wealth and success. The have-nots want a share. Obama plainly said he was going to see that they got their share, deserved or not. Social justice declares they should have it, if not for themselves, but for omissions of the past. The other side realises that is not feasible. The money that it would take to even begin that kind of income redistribution will completely undermine and dessicate the life giving blood of the country - the wealth and capital that creates jobs for the masses. But the masses don't understand. They just want, and think there is a valid requirement....and so it goes.

Gov't does not make good people. Good people form benevolent governments for protection. With Obama and Reid and Pelosi, we need to be wary of what gov't comes looking to take. They think we are stupid, dumb and incapable. They are paternalistically thinking we need to give it all up, let them parcel it out, and that they will lead us to some promised land. Wrong. Marxism. Failed. Slam dunk. But not with the American electorate. The span of attention of an MTV video.

I am sure I have overtaxed most reader's patience with me already. I leave it to the rest. Flame on.