anonymous

last reply
25 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
It seems this site is populated by the same person ms or mr anonymous.
Personally, I think it cowardice to hide behind the mask of anonymous.
Most democratic societies have the right to face the accuser. Why not amend the rating system to
listed users? or do away with a system that caters to cowards?

You want a better rating system, then change the format to registered users.
Fireman
0 likes
Quote by Pam111
It seems this site is populated by the same person ms or mr anonymous.
Personally, I think it cowardice to hid behind the mask of anonymous.
Most democratic societies have the right to face the accuser. Why not amend the rating system to
listed users? or do away with a system that caters to cowards?

You want a better rating system then change the format to registered users.

I like that idea.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Pam I think the better question is why does an anonymous comment bother you that much?......
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Fireman
0 likes
Not speaking for Pam111, but for me I don't think anyone wants to hear something negative, but if you do I would like to know who said it. Maybe I could find out what i did wrong and I can improve on it.
Matriarch
0 likes
We had it for "registered users only" a year ago Pam, almost nobody commented.

Which system would you prefer?
Lurker
0 likes
I think a negative comment should be dealt face to face same as a positive one. One would not be so quick to issue
negative ratings, if they become identified as a negative person. Or if giving poor rating, then at least provide a valid
explanation. Even a constructive poor rating can be helpful to future improvement, being anonymous is neither helpful or comstructive
Lush Legend
0 likes
You can hear something negative from a member or non-member....either way its someone's opinion but it doesn't mean they are right.....its just an opinion....as long as what you write is good enough for you it should not matter who comments or not......IMHO........
Matriarch
0 likes
You are talking about 2 separate issues now, negative comments and low ratings.

We found the same thing before Pam when restricting both the votes and comments to registered users. At the moment only 1 person in 100-200 actually votes for a story, and fewer leave comments.

Forcing people to sign up to vote / comment doesn't work.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Pam, I am sorry if you got some negative ones for no reason (or even if you talk in abstract), but gotta agree with Lush; it's a choice between a few comments and almost no comments... It's almost everywhere when the registration's needed... I've noticed something funny though when hanging last night on a site a bit; I mean, a new story appears (not so good IMO and later it gets proper voting anyway) the person who submitted it votes it immediately 5 ;) - like it appeared with a vote already. Quite a nice thing to boost up own ranks; gotta think about it .
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Natalia
I mean, a new story appears (not so good IMO and later it gets proper voting anyway) the person who submitted it votes it immediately 5 ;)

These kind of people also cheat at the card game patience
Lurker
0 likes
The flip side is, a person purposely voting a 1 just to knock down a rating.

I've said it before, I would never do that. Why crush someone's efforts?

I do not have the answers. I'm just posting learning from the responses
Lurker
0 likes
There's always going to be people that want to stay in the shadows. There's nothing wrong with that. In their opinion the story sucked and they voted it as such. What's wrong with that? you don't need to know why they think it sucked, to them it just does.
If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. again. that is my opinion.
opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Natalia
the person who submitted it votes it immediately 5 ;) - like it appeared with a vote already. Quite a nice thing to boost up own ranks; gotta think about it .

We're working on something to prevent self promotion of stories. And also to deal with the cheats that try and circumvent our voting system in other ways. Stay tuned.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. again. that is my opinion.
opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

I'm thinking on doing as you said
I can take heat, but I want to know why and from what direction is is coming from.

I stand by my first statement Mr\ Ms anonymous are cowards.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
You can hear something negative from a member or non-member....either way its someone's opinion but it doesn't mean they are right.....its just an opinion....as long as what you write is good enough for you it should not matter who comments or not......IMHO........

I agree Zaf...

Pam, I would think about the fact that if the negative comment comes from an anonymous poster, it is likely not valid. The only comments that you should focus on are the ones from people who are willing to do so attaching their name. Even then, their opinions are just that...only opinions.

~~Tech

Please enjoy my current story competition entry:

Alisha Unleashed

Book Four in the Mac and Grace Saga begins:

Boardrooms & Boudoirs

And the latest micros:

Sheer Perfection & Still Fuckin’ Hot

Fireworks & Bliss

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
In the meanwhile I see some vote cleaning on the front page LOL. Lush dressed up in some sexy servant outfit took a sexy broom and cleans.
Lurker
0 likes
That was my point Tech. It's only someones opinion.
Lurker
0 likes
I think if you put something out for the general public, not everyone is going to agree with you.
But I think her point was not so much that they were bad just that they didn't have the guts to be seen, as it were. But, that's the way a lot of ppl are. they like to stay in the shadows, gives them courage.
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
I think if you put something out for the general public, not everyone is going to agree with you.
But I think her point was not so much that they were bad just that they didn't have the guts to be seen, as it were. But, that's the way a lot of ppl are. they like to stay in the shadows, gives them courage.

There will always be cowards...best to ignore them.

Alisha Unleashed

Boardrooms & Boudoirs

And the latest micros:

Fireworks & Bliss

Lurker
0 likes
exactly.
Me? I don't give a shit. If I think it sucked I'll tell you I do and why. If you don't like it then eh whatever but, being the person I am I try, although not very good at it, being tactful or at least not to hurt feelings.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by techgoddess
Quote by chefkathleen

There will always be cowards...best to ignore them.

Well said.....
Lurker
0 likes
First, this is the Internet. Anonymity abounds. Gotta swallow the bitter pill.
Second, I always get bad votes and ask me if I care. I write for friends and I hope others will like my story. If not, so what? I don't need their approval.
Third, let the law of averages do its work. If a given story is fantastic, the low ratings will be overcome by the good ones in a landslide. Democracy is served!
Lurker
0 likes
I guess I let a few one ratings get to me. Many of my stories have a personal element to them.

Upon retrospect, after reading the comments, I agree with them. Every encounter is a learning experience

I needed a broader view to see the light and not my narrow one, when I first posted.

Thanks
0 likes
Quote by Pam111
I guess I let a few one ratings get to me. Many of my stories have a personal element to them.

Upon retrospect, after reading the comments, I agree with them. Every encounter is a learning experience

I needed a broader view to see the light and not my narrow one, when I first posted.

Thanks

atta girl! It's easy to let the negative comments get ya down. It takes a tough chick to see what might be valid and ignore that which is not.

~~Tech

Alisha Unleashed

Boardrooms & Boudoirs

And the latest micros:

Fireworks & Bliss

Lurker
0 likes
good point Rocco