Most annoying txt speak

last reply
53 replies
6.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Nurse
0 likes
I know for myself and others text speech in a story can throw the whole story off. What is the one that annoys you the most?

gunna
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
All text speech annoys me. There are enough word variations--including slang-- to say what you're trying to say without making a complete mockery of the English language.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Clumeleon
0 likes
thru

I've seen that in stories which were otherwise quite well-written. I die every time.
Lurker
0 likes
I dunno wat u guyz r talkin bout. txtspk is kool

*runs off to hide before that little vein in Clum's forehead pops*
Sophisticate
0 likes
All of it. I hate it. It is lazy anywhere except in that context and I am not sure I like it even there.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
'Prolly' is the one that prolly annoys me the most.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
txtspk blongs only in txts, & only if u ned to sv spac. mite fel dif 2moro, but hw i fel 2day
0 likes
All text speak makes me want to claw my eyes out. I don't even like text speak in text messaging. That being said, I saw someone use the...abomination "lyk". I'll admit that I still cringe to think about it.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by principessa
All of it. I hate it. It is lazy anywhere except in that context and I am not sure I like it even there.

I'm partial to a wee "LOL" now and again. It has become a word that is used in place of actually laughing out loud and I find that really interesting. Language is an incredible thing and I find it fascinating to watch it evolve. I don't like to put restrictions on what people can do with language - it's important to have fun.

That said, there's a time and a place. The purpose of language is communication and when you're writing a story, you want your writing to come across as clearly as possible to as many people as possible. It's not some cool, modern age thing to write in a "hip" way; it's just being an idiot. Don't do it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As with just about anything there's a place and time but generally I don't like it, so I refuse to use it. I do not however, put a stop to the constant evolvement of the language. The rules stay the same but addition of words as the LOL to quickly give a tone to a short sentence could be worth using it and see what happens. Why limit ourselves, like it or not anything evolves. Look at music... Or hear, lol. Hum hum is lol a little laugh compared to LOL, ooops lol.
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Lurker
0 likes
Sometimes txt spk cn b useful bt most of it annoys me, especially "k". I try to avoid using it but it can be useful when black boxing people here, or when you're making a point, as with some of my first sentence. Still I do find it annoying having to translate it.

Edit: I just realised that I may have missed the original point, so I will say this: I think in certain stories it can have a place, for example if one was writing one about two teenagers hooking up and wanted to convey their textversation, it could be useful to add a bit more depth but in the main body of the story, there is no excuse. Like everything, it has a time and a place.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

oh... i had to break myself of this habit, but it still slips in when i need the extra space while chatting...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I personally HATE it in stories but have had to use it on occasion to convey actual text conversations in my story dialog. But to use it in the very body of the story...NO WAY. I have never and would never shorten "you" to "U" or any other text-speak abomination. I don't even like using it when i am texting on my phone but rather I prefer to resort to the tried and true language of English.

That's all for now. TTYL (couldn't resist).

ps. I need a text-speak dictionary so I can understand what the fuck my kids are trying to converse with me though!
Flash a Trucker... It's appreciated!!

Read my latest story at; http://www.lushstories.com/stories/exhibitionism/a-weekend-at-the-cottage-part-1.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I hate when people use text speak for anything. I don't read enough stories that it bothers me there, but if I meet someone online and they're too lazy to type out at least 90% of their words it is an instant turn off. Granted I have my moments, but I actually cringe when I have to change 'you' to 'u' in a black box. It not only makes you look uneducated but also lazy to shorten everything.

Lurker
0 likes
"K"

Should be arrested, for killing conversations.

Anybody drops a K-bomb on me that's an instant "Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200."
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stelmaria
"K"

Anybody drops a K-bomb on me that's an instant "Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200."

I usually use the k-bomb to purposely end conversations in a semi-polite way.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stelmaria
"K"

I usually use the k-bomb to purposely end conversations in a semi-polite way.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

That drives me crazy. Most of them do, but that one really freaking gets to me.
If you can't fuck yourself ... who can you fuck?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
All of it drives me crazy, even in text messages. When I compose a text message to my friends, mine are always perfect and spelled out correctly.

I guess with my English degree, I take it to heart.
"So don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
Don't lie to me,
Just get your things.
I've made up your mind."

--Evanescence
Lurker
0 likes
"K"

Im guilty of txtspeak now & again, especially when I'm not sure what word to use. English isn't my native tongue, and verb tenses, prepositions, etc. sometimes confuse me. And I had no idea that some words and phrases aren't grammatically correct since I see and hear them often. Prolly, for example.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Hmm.... I actually don't mind 'K'... or its more fun and energetic variation 'KK'...

Overall I think a bit of text-speak is fine, but best to keep it to one or two uses per text - when every other word gets shortened, that's what annoys me. And if you're doing it while sexting, it can be a total mood-killer. Then again if the guy is hot enough, these minor spelling glitches can always be forgiven.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i find text text speak interesting when you see it in foreign languages - in italian textspeak 6 means "you're" (i think)
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
The ones that REALLY annoy me are the ones that aren't actually any shorter... ie:

bai = bye
kk = ok
kewl = cool

and so on. All that is achieved by that kind of nonsense is making yourself look like a fool.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LittleBambi
The ones that REALLY annoy me are the ones that aren't actually any shorter... ie:

bai = bye
kk = ok
kewl = cool

and so on. All that is achieved by that kind of nonsense is making yourself look like a fool.

or even a fewl
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

or even a fewl

You know what I say about digging a hole, dying and bringing your own tarp to cover it over with? Yeah ....
Sophisticate
0 likes
The faces/expressions made out of punctuation marks drive me crazy. Are we all three years old and unable to read words like grown-ups?

This is not cool (or kewl) but symptomatic of the dumbing down of everything in popular culture. It is a deliberate laziness and ignorance that will not lead to anything good. Try applying to a professional school or for an upper level position writing in text speak. I don't think it will make a great impression. Literacy matters.

(I just read what I wrote and understand that I am now officially an old curmudgeon, but I don't take it back.)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm going to submit a story written totally in text speak. Or maybe just ban all vowels.
I might try it phonetically and see how it goes... But I'd probably just mess it all up and spell something correctly.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness
I'm going to submit a story written totally in text speak. Or maybe just ban all vowels.
I might try it phonetically and see how it goes... But I'd probably just mess it all up and spell something correctly.

Principessa would love to verify that for you, I'm sure.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Sophisticate
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Principessa would love to verify that for you, I'm sure.

You bet!!! Just let me at it.