Britain proposes Emergency Wealth Tax

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Emergency Wealth Tax

As part of the global push to tax the rich, Britain is now debating an "emergency" wealth tax. But the idea has hit fierce opposition from conservatives, who say the "politics of envy" hasn't made the country rich.

Deputy Prime Minster Nick Clegg, leader of the Liberal-Democrat Party, has proposed a one-time tax on the wealth (rather than the incomes) of high-net-worth Britons. The details aren't clear, but Clegg says the country is facing an economic war caused by a prolonged recession, and needs to tax the rich in order to avoid social unrest.

He told the Guardian that unless the country "hardwired fairness" into the budget, "I don't think the process will be either socially or politically sustainable or acceptable."

Chancellor George Osborne shot back, saying the plan would chase out the rich and make the odds of full recovery even worse. Bernard Jenkin, the chair of the House of Commons' public administration committee, told the BBC that the tax could strangle the golden geese of Britain. "If the politics of envy made a country rich, we'd be very rich ... Most rich people are contributing far more in tax than other people."

Britain has already hiked taxes on the rich to 50 percent but amid a weak economy and reports of wealth flight, the tax was ratcheted down in April to 45 percent.

Baroness Susan Kramer, a member of Clegg's party in the House of Lords, said that a wealth tax could be more effective than an income tax, and that the wealthy won't move away.

"You have to be part of the society in which you live," she told the Guardian. ""If we're going to be a coherent society, and that is absolutely fundamental to our success and our prosperity, everyone has to carry a share of it."

The debate in Britain mirrors the central debate in America's presidential election: how much to tax the rich. Obama has called for raising their taxes. Romney calls for cutting them.

Britain's tax distribution is less progressive than America's, with the top 1 percent paying about 24 percent of the total income taxes in the U.K. In the United States, the same group pays more than 35 percent. The top 10 percent in Britain pays 55 percent of income taxes, while in America the top 10 percent pays 59 percent.

But Britain's example can be used by both Republicans and Democrats as fuel for their arguments. Republicans can argue that Britain's tax hike on high incomes didn't help their recovery, since their economy is still weak. Democrats can argue that the austerity measures imposed in Britain have prolonged their recession and that the tax hike was abandoned too quickly.

Either way, the debate over taxing the rich is starting to sound familiar around the world.

==================

Is this big news over there? What do you think about it? Fair or unfair to tax wealth after it was already (presumably) taxed as income. Assuming there's an estate/death tax as well, the same money will be taxed three times? Necessary attempt to save the economy?

I can't say I know much/enough about the British economy, but from afar this seems a bit unfair.

The phrase "hardwired fairness into the budget" is an especially troubling concept to me. Who determines what is fair?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
Emergency Wealth Tax

Fair or unfair to tax wealth after it was already (presumably) taxed as income. Assuming there's an estate/death tax as well, the same money will be taxed three times? Necessary attempt to save the economy?

I can't say I know much/enough about the British economy, but from afar this seems a bit unfair.

The UK exemption is £325,000 for estate taxes. In the USA, the amount taxed is anything over $5,120,000. The exemption in the UK is lower than the USA, and the UK rate of tax is 40% of any amount over the exempt amount. Still, the tax doesn't raise that much money for the government. In 2013, unless the law is changed, the US rate will become 55% with an exemption of one million dollars. If you want to leave your family more of your fortune in the United States the best bet is to die in 2012.

Estate taxes aren't necessarily a re-tax of already taxed money. In some cases the money has not ever been taxed, or at least part of the estate is made up of untaxed profits that have accumulated during a person's lifetime. Some capital gains would never be taxed if all money was transferable at death without an inheritance tax. The increase in the value of an asset is not taxed as income during the lifetime of the person who acquired it unless it is sold.

Of course, there are ways around the estate tax. The transfer tax that Mitt Romney used to transfer his father's money to his own children, for instance. Romney can claim that he didn't inherit anything from his parents, that it all went to his children and to charity, and the government still doesn't get to tax the capital gains that George Romney made in his lifetime.
[url]http://[/url]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by CoopsRuthie

The UK exemption is £325,000 for estate taxes. In the USA, the amount taxed is anything over $5,120,000. The exemption in the UK is lower than the USA, and the UK rate of tax is 40% of any amount over the exempt amount. Still, the tax doesn't raise that much money for the government. In 2013, unless the law is changed, the US rate will become 55% with an exemption of one million dollars. If you want to leave your family more of your fortune in the United States the best bet is to die in 2012.

Estate taxes aren't necessarily a re-tax of already taxed money. In some cases the money has not ever been taxed, or at least part of the estate is made up of untaxed profits that have accumulated during a person's lifetime. Some capital gains would never be taxed if all money was transferable at death without an inheritance tax. The increase in the value of an asset is not taxed as income during the lifetime of the person who acquired it unless it is sold.

Of course, there are ways around the estate tax. The transfer tax that Mitt Romney used to transfer his father's money to his own children, for instance. Romney can claim that he didn't inherit anything from his parents, that it all went to his children and to charity, and the government still doesn't get to tax the capital gains that George Romney made in his lifetime.

Okay, the estate tax question was just an aside. What about the "emergency wealth tax" itself? To have a "one time" tax on individual wealth? If someone has capital gains or IRA or 401k that was invested in good faith as tax free, is it okay to then tax it as wealth? Or already taxed income that has been saved by a frugal person or couple into a nice retirement fund, is it okay to randomly decide to tax it again as wealth? Or just some person that makes a shitload of money, okay to re-tax him/her?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
Emergency Wealth Tax

As part of the global push to tax the rich, Britain is now debating an "emergency" wealth tax. But the idea has hit fierce opposition from conservatives, who say the "politics of envy" hasn't made the country rich.

Deputy Prime Minster Nick Clegg, leader of the Liberal-Democrat Party, has proposed a one-time tax on the wealth (rather than the incomes) of high-net-worth Britons. The details aren't clear, but Clegg says the country is facing an economic war caused by a prolonged recession, and needs to tax the rich in order to avoid social unrest.

He told the Guardian that unless the country "hardwired fairness" into the budget, "I don't think the process will be either socially or politically sustainable or acceptable."

Chancellor George Osborne shot back, saying the plan would chase out the rich and make the odds of full recovery even worse. Bernard Jenkin, the chair of the House of Commons' public administration committee, told the BBC that the tax could strangle the golden geese of Britain. "If the politics of envy made a country rich, we'd be very rich ... Most rich people are contributing far more in tax than other people."

Britain has already hiked taxes on the rich to 50 percent but amid a weak economy and reports of wealth flight, the tax was ratcheted down in April to 45 percent.

Baroness Susan Kramer, a member of Clegg's party in the House of Lords, said that a wealth tax could be more effective than an income tax, and that the wealthy won't move away.

"You have to be part of the society in which you live," she told the Guardian. ""If we're going to be a coherent society, and that is absolutely fundamental to our success and our prosperity, everyone has to carry a share of it."

The debate in Britain mirrors the central debate in America's presidential election: how much to tax the rich. Obama has called for raising their taxes. Romney calls for cutting them.

Britain's tax distribution is less progressive than America's, with the top 1 percent paying about 24 percent of the total income taxes in the U.K. In the United States, the same group pays more than 35 percent. The top 10 percent in Britain pays 55 percent of income taxes, while in America the top 10 percent pays 59 percent.

But Britain's example can be used by both Republicans and Democrats as fuel for their arguments. Republicans can argue that Britain's tax hike on high incomes didn't help their recovery, since their economy is still weak. Democrats can argue that the austerity measures imposed in Britain have prolonged their recession and that the tax hike was abandoned too quickly.

Either way, the debate over taxing the rich is starting to sound familiar around the world.

==================

Is this big news over there? What do you think about it? Fair or unfair to tax wealth after it was already (presumably) taxed as income. Assuming there's an estate/death tax as well, the same money will be taxed three times? Necessary attempt to save the economy?

The phrase "hardwired fairness into the budget" is an especially troubling concept to me. Who determines what is fair?

You seem to have a reasonable working knowledge of politics here in UK, including how the cronies who run this country think, but nontheless you don't understand how British politics tick.
Your country was built on a mish-mash of usually persecuted immigrants from a variety of European countries - including mainly ours .. and mostly from Scotland and Ireland. So therefore you had a 'clean sheet' - so to speak of people pretty much all the same.

Here we have a class system which has survived through centuries from the time of William the Conquerer in 1066 to the present date. Throughout those centuries, the 'class' system has existed and still does. Your 'pecking' order in society is what has always mattered and most definitely still does. Fast forward to the twenty first century.

We have a present government of Tories and Liberals - it's called a coalition government. They say it's because the electorate couldn't make up its mind at the last General Election. Conservatives - under the class system always come from rich, influencial and usually corrupt noble families. Liberals - at a pinch - represent the middle classes and recently have come under the influence of the 'greens' who want to make this place a wilderness again.

Now. Times are bad all round financially worldwide. Kinda wonder where it all started - was it under President Bush's watch coz when America sneezes the rest of the world gets a cold. However. Getting back to UK. Two opposing viewpoints in our Parliament and usually without a deciding voice only leads to confusion. Clegg only wishes -with his misguided eye on the next general election - to say that "hey you middle class guys ... we're still here so let's impose a special tax on the rich - and we're still in government - for the first time in 70 years. Doesn't say who the real rich are. The likes of the Duke of Westminster who owns half of Mayfair but pays less tax than his cleaners. Cameron, our Conservative Prime Minister - or perhaps 'Chameleon' as he should be called coz he always changes his colours - would not hear of such a thing.

Then of course we have the Labour Party who are at present in opposition. They represent the working man and would happily see the class structure of billionaires, educted at Eton or Harrow and engineered into priviliged positions they didn't deserve - be put out to graze. There are so many extremities here in UK - may have worked a century ago, but even then it was a matter of 'your birth and not your worth' ... still exists to this day.

I know little of your politics but I can categorically say - although coming from a professional middle class English family myself - a nation without a single voice can only go one way. A tax on the professional classes in UK will in fact be a threat to the fragile British economy as a whole. Already the poorer working classes of UK have suffered the brunt of this recession and paid dearly whilst the aristocrats and upper classes have felt nothing - so far, due to their off shore investments and tax dodging efforts which have been a part of our society for generations.

While the 'I'm alright Jack - stuff you' attitudes exist here in Britain we'll get nowhere fast and we do need a good, honest and strong leader. Just kinda feel you may have had that with Obama - and are now just about to chuck it away.
Lurker
0 likes
do people really need 300million dollars? What difference is it if you get taxed 20% or 30%
the ultra wealthy see no difference. Or is it a crime against humanity if they can only buy 10 super yachts that's year instead of 15...
it helps everyone. anyone who is against at least making tax rates equal (apart from the lower class who might pay less)
Is pretty much coming out and saying I don't care about humanity, I'm a greedy scumbag, and these toys are mine only.
Sorry talking about America not england, I have no idea how fair it is there.
I don't know enough about England to say anything about that, but in general I'm for taxing.
so yeah don't mind me

Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

Okay, the estate tax question was just an aside. What about the "emergency wealth tax" itself? To have a "one time" tax on individual wealth? If someone has capital gains or IRA or 401k that was invested in good faith as tax free, is it okay to then tax it as wealth? Or already taxed income that has been saved by a frugal person or couple into a nice retirement fund, is it okay to randomly decide to tax it again as wealth? Or just some person that makes a shitload of money, okay to re-tax him/her?

The contributions to traditional IRAs and 401ks are before taxes, the money put into the account is not taxed at the time that it's put in. However, they are taxed when the money is withdrawn. In Roth IRAs and 401ks the contributions have already been taxed, and qualified distributions are not taxable. Also, the amount of contributions into IRAs and 401ks are limited. I don't see what either has to do with the emergency wealth tax in the UK. Maybe you can enlighten me.

I personally believe that the top tax rates need to be higher. A 38% tax rate on money over $250,000 isn't confiscatory except in the minds of spoiled rich people and Randians. There doesn't need to be a one time wealth tax as such, but there needs to be a permanent tax structure that will allow society to function.
[url]http://[/url]
Lurker
0 likes
38% ?? are you serious? I'm moving to England that's it lol. Mitt Romney pays 14% or less on 20mil.