Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Mitt Romney's dirty secret: his true beliefs Options · View
Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:22:17 PM

[apologies if someone has beaten me to the scoop]

What are your thoughts on the new video leaked of Mitt Romney explaining behind closed doors that 47% of Americans are freeloaders (layman's terms) and he doesn't need to try to win their votes because they feel they are victims and no matter what they will vote for the president they rely on for handouts? oh and the video is courtesy of Jimmy carters grandson at a private Florida fundraiser held in May. Mitt Romney did not deny the video but only asked that the full video be shown on the mother jones website, and that he should have said it clearer.

I was going to embed the video but I'm on a non mobile version of YouTube so here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnB0NZzl5HA

And here I believe is the full uncut video:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/watch-full-secret-video-private-romney-fundraiser

I'm having an absolute blast with my new arts and crafts project!

my opinion is it's just another piece of several coming together over the past several months that ultimately shows a failing candidacy. The botched trip to Europe, the comments on The embassy attack and now potentially alienating nearly half of the country, to point out he only needs 10-15% (the swing voters) to vote for him. Among others.. "cheesy grits" lol

What are your thoughts? do you think this will hurt/help his campaign or is this an overreaction that will have little to no impact on the election?

Ps isn't that picture funny? :p

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:47:15 PM

Hi Garza, I did post the abbreviated version here, but it was part of another thread.

As I said in the other thread, I think it's incredibly stupid of him to say this, although I also think he (somewhat naively) didn't think it would see the light of day. Does he realize that this mythical freeloading mass of people (47%) are mostly working people? Does he realize that many of them vote Republican? Does he realize that those who "freeload" the most off of the federal government are white, contrary to the standard Republican dog-whistle message?

I don't know the answers to these questions, I'd like to think he's smarter than that. But this much I'm convinced of: he's completely out of touch with the real people who struggle in more ways than one, and this little glimpse is just one hint towards that. His vision of an America full of big-government lovers and lazy moochers is erroneous, though many of America's most prosperous, as well as many working class whites (including part of that 47%!) have chosen to buy in. See, it makes their sad little world make more sense if they do. And as for the 1-percenters? Well, their motivation is obvious: more for them means less for all those poor minority folk and lazy academians who just don't work hard enough or love America enough to be successful like them.

All that said, do I think it will hurt him that much as opposed to the way things would go if it never leaked? Not really.

And yes, I love the Mitt Romney cut-out map LOL
1ball
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:53:50 PM

Garza wrote:
do you think this will hurt/help his campaign or is this an overreaction that will have little to no impact on the election?

Or the other possibility is that it was a strategic leak calculated to help him, because there are many many more people who are now aware of how many people pay no income taxes and who they are likely to vote for in order to get more benefits.

My guess, the race will still be decided by a few people in a few states who enter the booth without knowing yet who they'll vote for and it will come down to how much they "like" the candidates. Pointing out the increase in the percentage of people paying no income taxes isn't likely to hurt him with them, because they won't even be listening yet.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
littlemissbitch
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:10:16 PM

ugh. you all are going to beat me for this and let me preface this by saying i hate romney hes a liar and a cheat:( but.....

i dont totally disagree with him here. and while no its not 47% of our population, there is a serious lack of personal responsibility and a very inflated sense of entitlement in this country.

part of the problem is able bodied people sucking off our system. its very easy to live for free (if not very well) in this country. and im not talking about the little old lady that needs her meds or the single mom or dad whos partner has run off shouldering them with the responsibility or the disabled vet. im all for our country helping our people. but we all know that not everyone on the dole needs to be there.

and no where in our constitution does it say that we will be provided shelter or food or a livelihood. what we were promised is the opportunity to go out and get that for ourselves. that is still possible to do in this country. it might be harder than it used to be but it IS possible.

personally i really believe that if we are going to have a system in place where our government collects money and then passes it out so that every single person has food and shelter and a doctor then every single person has to pay in. most notably the cash only trade. and by that i mean dealers, sex workers, nannies and bus boys. taxing our income and giving breaks to corps in order to create jobs is not working. lets tax our sales THEN i think we will have a fair system and being to see our wealth being re-distributed into more equitable portions. (but thats another argument)

just my 2 cents. ill bend over now for you all to whip me ;)

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
1ball
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:16:55 PM

littlemissbitch wrote:
ill bend over now for you all to whip me ;)

Best offer I've had since I joined Lush. drunken

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:22:39 PM

littlemissbitch wrote:
ugh. you all are going to beat me for this and let me preface this by saying i hate romney hes a liar and a cheat:( but.....

i dont totally disagree with him here. and while no its not 47% of our population, there is a serious lack of personal responsibility and a very inflated sense of entitlement in this country.

part of the problem is able bodied people sucking off our system. its very easy to live for free (if not very well) in this country

No it is not.

It is not easy to live for free in this country. It's not easy to be poor. It's not easy to be working-class. It's not easy to do any of the things you've somehow been led to believe are true. Perhaps you've somehow been poor in your past, living in the lap of luxury off the government's dime. If so, I suspect you did so by committing fraud, because what comes to those in need, in the form of assistance, is not anything within the realm of "free easy living".

But back to the subject at hand. Romney's broad-brush indictment of that dastardly 47% that pay no federal income taxes. It turns out that just 6.9 percent of people who are non-elderly don't pay income tax. That is a far cry from 47 percent. We are not, in fact, a nation of moochers, as Romney seems to suggest.
Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:27:39 PM

LadyX wrote:
Hi Garza, I did post the abbreviated version here, but it was part of another thread.

As I said in the other thread, I think it's incredibly stupid of him to say this, although I also think he (somewhat naively) didn't think it would see the light of day. Does he realize that this mythical freeloading mass of people (47%) are mostly working people? Does he realize that many of them vote Republican? Does he realize that those who "freeload" the most off of the federal government are white, contrary to the standard Republican dog-whistle message?

I don't know the answers to these questions, I'd like to think he's smarter than that. But this much I'm convinced of: he's completely out of touch with the real people who struggle in more ways than one, and this little glimpse is just one hint towards that. His vision of an America full of big-government lovers and lazy moochers is erroneous, though many of America's most prosperous, as well as many working class whites (including part of that 47%!) have chosen to buy in. See, it makes their sad little world make more sense if they do. And as for the 1-percenters? Well, their motivation is obvious: more for them means less for all those poor minority folk and lazy academians who just don't work hard enough or love America enough to be successful like them.

All that said, do I think it will hurt him that much as opposed to the way things would go if it never leaked? Not really.

And yes, I love the Mitt Romney cut-out map LOL

Ah okay, I checked the general forums and when I didn't see it I figured I'd open the topic. I just didn't want to make a duplicate and get locked, and the picture would make a great jig-saw puzzle! :D
littlemissbitch
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:32:33 PM

LadyX wrote:

No it is not.

It is not easy to live for free in this country. It's not easy to be poor. It's not easy to be working-class. It's not easy to do any of the things you've somehow been led to believe are true. Perhaps you've somehow been poor in your past, living in the lap of luxury off the government's dime. If so, I suspect you did so by committing fraud, because what comes to those in need, in the form of assistance, is not anything within the realm of "free easy living".

But back to the subject at hand. Romney's broad-brush indictment of that dastardly 47% that pay no federal income taxes. It turns out that just 6.9 percent of people who are non-elderly don't pay income tax. That is a far cry from 47 percent. We are not, in fact, a nation of moochers, as Romney seems to suggest.

fraud. :p not fraud. when my dad left, my mom had to go on welfare and food stamps for awhile until she found a job. several of them actually. and i know his numbers are way off. but i simply know too, many able bodied people who are eating and being sheltered on my dime. and no their lives are not good. of course they are not good. but they shouldnt be being paid for. ive know women to have more kids for more money...i followed a dude and his Nike clad brood out to their caddy after watching them pay with food stamps. there is corruption. and it IS a factor. we ARE lazy. we are. we are cable stealing, fast truck drivin, beer swilling, french fry inhaling, lazy mother fuckers in this country. we believe whatever the fuck the tv feeds us and remind me of so many cows. we think that America owes us a living and we owe America nothing.

i wish there were more people out in the world like the people i find here. people of real quality and thought and introspection. people who do in fact practice personal responsibility in their own lives....and not so many "bubba honey chile's" out there.

*edit* im sorry for any offense i might have caused to any bubba honey chiles that perhaps read this.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:50:01 PM

Hey! My next door neighbor is a bubba honey chile! I'm offended. :D

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:12:00 PM

littlemissbitch wrote:

fraud. :p not fraud. when my dad left, my mom had to go on welfare and food stamps for awhile until she found a job. several of them actually. and i know his numbers are way off.

That's my whole point. It wasn't easy, was it? It's not for anyone.

Yes, there are abusers, as there are in anything in life. But why such a miniscule percentage of fraud within the system is of paramount concern to you here is still a mystery to me. We're one of the hardest working countries in the world as a whole, by nearly any metric you want to use.
littlemissbitch
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:31:17 AM

i guess you know better people than i do girl :( ive known too many to abuse the system and who have these ridiculous expectation of what life "owes" them. i dont feel it is minuscule. our country is in this state because of US LadyX. You and me and everyone. we created this and we now we are looking around saying "holy shit! what happened?" we have been wasting money for years. on grossly abused (and too many) social programs...wars we cant win (including the war on drugs) and our litigation system is choked and clogged with all the crying we do when we dont get our way or we slip and sprain an ankle. we are JOKE on this planet.

its not JUST social program abuse, or bad wars or greedy politicians. its everything put together. i believe thats why we are having such a hard time solving it. we are fully out of balance. We americans talk with a puritan tongue but put sex all over our TV, we give hardly any money to education and still believe we are the smartest of them all...we hold up 50 year marriages as the example of success and our divorce rate is nearly half.our money is totally skewed and unbalance but we still scream that capitalism is best.

its all wrapped up girl and i just simply pointed out that in this one small instance i sort of agree with romney. the sense of personal responsibility in this country is pathetic and quite frankly its time for a lot of americans to fucking man up. hard to do in an age where a teeny tiny portion of our citizens hold that vast majority of our wealth and they are not sharing...but it is possible. we ARE americans and we can be bad ass if we want to. too bad so many are busy stuffing our faces with McDonalds (then crying over ill health) and watching Fox News.

p.s. you can ask my mother and she'll tell you that being on food stamps and welfare was a LOT easier than working 2 jobs to get the rent paid...it was the humiliation of using them that pushed her to get a job. i had unemployment once for a little while. all i had to do was make a phone call and i got $200 bucks in the mail...not so hard really.

Buz
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:15:13 AM

I am so bothered by that comment. NOT!

We have two candidates and neither have any idea or clue as to what it's like for regular working people. One was born rich as hell and the other has never worked for anything but the government.

I'd sure like to see someone other than a damned Ivy Leaguer in the White House. 4 Ivy League presidents in a row have not been kind to the middle class. But let us also toss blame the feet of the US Congress.

Do you still vote for your district's incumbent US Legislator or your state's US Senator. If so, you are part of the problem. We need new blood and serious term limits. If your US Legislator or US Senator is on their second term or more, they are so corrupted by lobbyists and the system that it is shocking. Everytime we send these incumbents back to office they are ever more entrenched into the corruption. Are you sending another multi-millionaire back to Washington DC? Check out the net-worth of your representative. They get richer with each term they serve. All of them and astonishingly enough the facts show Democrats are doing it at a faster rate then Republicans. In reality if you think there is any REAL difference between them you have totally drank the Kool-Aid. Those two political parties are equally corrupt.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:26:15 AM

In theory I agree with you, Buz. But if I vote Democratic, you think I'm really going to vote Republican, where lobbyist influence is replaced with religious conservatism and tea party principles? Not a chance. Same with Republicans; they're not voting their own party out, willfully voting in a liberal, just for the sake of anti-incumbency. The only other choices are niche candidates (green, libertarian, anarchy, etc).

How do you overthrow a 2-party system without hitching your support to some wacky third party? Sounds like a good thread idea! (hint)
keoloke
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:50:11 AM

littlemissbitch wrote:

part of the problem is able bodied people sucking off our system. its very easy to live for free (if not very well) in this country. and im not talking about the little old lady that needs her meds or the single mom or dad whos partner has run off shouldering them with the responsibility or the disabled vet. im all for our country helping our people. but we all know that not everyone on the dole needs to be there.

and no where in our constitution does it say that we will be provided shelter or food or a livelihood. what we were promised is the opportunity to go out and get that for ourselves. that is still possible to do in this country. it might be harder than it used to be but it IS possible.

personally i really believe that if we are going to have a system in place where our government collects money and then passes it out so that every single person has food and shelter and a doctor then every single person has to pay in. most notably the cash only trade. and by that i mean dealers, sex workers, nannies and bus boys. taxing our income and giving breaks to corps in order to create jobs is not working. lets tax our sales THEN i think we will have a fair system and being to see our wealth being re-distributed into more equitable portions. (but thats another argument)

just my 2 cents. ill bend over now for you all to whip

Dear Face Rip-Off PRO'

While I do agree (with a much smaller %) with you, I must add that there are companies or entities that get free gov money (millions) and some do not produce anything. Also, If the freeloaders exist, be peoples that gets help forever or companies, its because the system is there to allow it. Wrong.

Lovingly Bending besides you!

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Dirty_D
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:54:40 AM

littlemissbitch wrote:

just my 2 cents. ill bend over now for you all to whip me ;)

Big Hugs

littlemissbitch
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:32:50 AM

LadyX wrote:
In theory I agree with you, Buz. But if I vote Democratic, you think I'm really going to vote Republican, where lobbyist influence is replaced with religious conservatism and tea party principles? Not a chance. Same with Republicans; they're not voting their own party out, willfully voting in a liberal, just for the sake of anti-incumbency. The only other choices are niche candidates (green, libertarian, anarchy, etc).

How do you overthrow a 2-party system without hitching your support to some wacky third party? Sounds like a good thread idea! (hint)

would it be too simplistic if we all just decided not to vote? i mean just not pick either one of them. would that send a message if we could get 300 million people to Just Say NO (snort) to either of these candidates? i know..it'll never happen.

i agree with Buz. we, collectively, put every single politician in place. we, collectively, allow lobbyists to exist. we, collectively, allow these super rich men and women use our country and our systems to protect their wealth.

and yes keoloke, its not just people sucking off us, companies do it too. there are sooo many unbalanced facets that its overwhelming and i really have no idea how to fix it all.

healthcare...insurance is expensive, procedures are expensive here. is it because of the "evil" drug companies? is it the "greedy" docs who come out of med school 6 figures in debt? is it the the insane malpractice lawsuits? its all of it.

we are in a vicious catch 22 it seems to me.

and thanks for the hug naughtynurse :)

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:49:52 AM

littlemissbitch wrote:

would it be too simplistic if we all just decided not to vote? i mean just not pick either one of them. would that send a message if we could get 300 million people to Just Say NO (snort) to either of these candidates? i know..it'll never happen.

Ooh, that would so fire me up, though, just the thought of it! Imagine that:

"With under 5% of registered voters participating, you have a mandate to *fuck off*"

ahh dare to dream.
tazznjazz
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:23:47 AM

I agree the welfare system has too many abusers and needs reformed, but electing a wall street corporate raider doesn't seem like the best way to get this done.

The current issue of Rolling Stone has an interesting piece about Gov. Romney that states that Romney sucked up 1.5 billion dollars in federal aid for the 2002 winter Oylmpics -more than the other 7 U.S. games combined.

He bilked taxpayers out of millions when Bain & company recieved a govt. bailout in 1993

When Govt. works for his best interests he seems pretty entitled!

sprite
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:46:29 AM

i've been poor. it wasn't easy or fun. sometimes i had a place to live, i couch surfed. in the summer, when it was warm, it wasn't so bad staying up all night and then crashing in the park during the day - it felt safer sleeping during the daylight hours. i had friends, they helped. i sold drawings for enough to eat. it was hard to find work as i didn't have a permanent address. i'd dropped thru the cracks a bit - i didn't get any sort of gpv't aid. it certainly would have helped! i don't think i'd have been taking advantage of the system - i just needed a boost. i got it from friends and eventually got myself out of the hole. i worked as a waitress at two jobs to do that. that wasn't easy. sometimes i'd fall asleep on the bus going home. i didn't have a car, i was sort of bouncing between 3 houses living with some really nice guys who helped me out out of the goodness of their heart - they didn't have a lot either, but they did it. i did my best to help too - cooked, cleaned, when i had the time/energy.

Someone like Mitt could have made a big difference in my life with what would have amounted to spare change for him. thank god i didn't get sick. if you've ever been to a free clinic, you'd understand why. the reason why i was poor was i HAD been very ill. unable to work - my dad helped me out, but the doctor bills did me in. health care is expensive. i would have like some help there, too, even a little. is that entitlement? i could have lived with my dad, btw, but... we'd tried that before, it never worked out. if things had gotten really bad, i could have...

some of those people out there looking for entitlement are women with abusive husbands, or girls from abusive households. they are just asking for some help. men who are the sole support of their families, who work two jobs and still can't make ends meet or who lost their jobs through lay-offs, they just want some help - a lot of these people would rather work or ARE working, but they just can't manage - bad luck, bad timing, a bad economy. sure, like anything else, their are frauds, but you know? there are frauds who are millionaires too, who use the system, who pay as little in taxes as they can, who bank their money in the Caymen islands, who talk about jobs in America when they've send jobs over seas, who have enough to help out others in need and instead, hoard their money and use it to buy car elevators and then they complain about how entitled the poor are.

Live, love, laugh.
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:28:52 AM

Politics is an entity unto itself. It metaphorically speaking, lives and breathes. It occupies thoughts, conversations, as well as the present and the future. As it was expressed to me not to long ago after a cordial debate. Politics is a representation of how we vote.
1ball
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:48:27 PM

The reality is that almost every US resident is a freeloader. We pretty much all get more than $1.00 in benefits for every $1.00 that we pay to the government. For the people who get direct subsidies, it's way more. For the 47% (or whatever) who pay no income tax, and I'm one of them, it's ridiculous to believe more benefit is deserved. We're only borrowing from our own future or from our children's future and that means freeloading. Sure, some of that is getting paid by rich people, and some of it is getting paid in higher prices for food, energy, insurance, etc., but the majority is being paid in reduced opportunity and reduced value for the society.

And neither candidate is going to do much about that. We are headed for some form of political revolution and we're past the PONR, but our choice is to slow down or speed up. If we slow down, we buy time time for sensible reform that might produce a softer landing. There's no guarantee it will happen, but there is more time for opportunity than if we speed up. Of course, there's a collapsitarian school of thought that says the sooner we go through the revolution the less damage will have to be fixed. That school favors speeding up. I guess the question is, "Do you feel lucky?"

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:27:57 PM

Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:31:59 PM

I saw today that a family of three would have to be on welfare a total of 328 years to get as much government aid as Romney has received. A student would have to receive Pell Grants for 1800 semesters to get as much money as Romney received in bail outs for Bain. He got ten million dollars from the United States government while he was looting pension funds for Bain Capital. 700 Billion for the banks.

Stop blaming the poor for the problems that the rich have caused.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:23:59 PM

CoopsRuthie wrote:
I saw today that a family of three would have to be on welfare a total of 328 years to get as much government aid as Romney has received. A student would have to receive Pell Grants for 1800 semesters to get as much money as Romney received in bail outs for Bain. He got ten million dollars from the United States government while he was looting pension funds for Bain Capital.

LOL.

Mitt Romney: Beacon of Fiscal Sanity. Between him and that lying fraud Ryan, I can't believe their campaign hasn't had an easier go of it....
Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:34:15 AM

LadyX wrote:

According to your graph I should vote for Romney...
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:39:09 AM

naughtynurse wrote:

According to your graph I should vote for Romney...

Yes, I think you're definitely in his desired voter group.
Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:45:18 AM

LadyX wrote:

Yes, I think you're definitely in his desired voter group.

It's vaguely ironic, because I don't really desire him. I just really don't want the alternative! (I never voted for Bush)
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:36:11 AM

naughtynurse wrote:

It's vaguely ironic, because I don't really desire him. I just really don't want the alternative! (I never voted for Bush)

I know just what you mean. My vote in November (rendered meaningless in Texas, mind you LOL), is more anti-Republican than pro-Obama.
Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:56:17 AM

LadyX wrote:

I know just what you mean. My vote in November (rendered meaningless in Texas, mind you LOL), is more anti-Republican than pro-Obama.

Hugs I understand :)
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:17:08 AM

Something else on the tape that was more worryingly than the other things he said; Basically going on record saying it would be helpful if he could have been branded as a Latino(grandparents were refugees from Mexico after the revoluntion there weren't all too friendly to mormons). He did what Obama didn't do; he pretty much pulled the race card, saying that Obama got helped to the victory from being black. Even if it's true, I find it concerning that he said so...

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."