Login

Chinese food, Kentucky style.

last reply
9 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Customers at the Red Flower Chinese Restaurant in Williamsburg, Ky., alerted authorities after they spotted something they probably wish they hadn't: restaurant employees wheeling roadkill back to the kitchen.

Local CBS affiliate WYMT interviewed the witnesses. The roadkill was apparently a deer stuffed into a trash can. "There was actually a blood trail they were mopping up behind the garbage can," customer Katie Hopkins said. "There was like a tail, and like a foot and a leg sticking out of the garbage can, and they wheeled it straight back into the kitchen."

Local health inspector Paul Lawson was called in to investigate. Lawson said the restaurant owners told him they didn't know they were doing anything wrong. "They said they didn't know they weren't allowed to do that. So that makes me concerned that maybe they could have before. They didn't admit to doing it before." The owner said he didn't plan to serve the deer to customers—instead he planned to use it to feed his family.

The restaurant has been temporarily shut down but will be eligible to reopen as soon as it passes another health inspection and proves it has been washed and sanitized.

Kentucky restaraunt shut down for "wheeling in" roadkill.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Damn.

When you can't decide between a Chinese Restaurant joke and a Kentucky joke, you know you've struck comedy gold. LOL

But seriously, why they hatin' on some venison won-ton?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Damn.

When you can't decide between a Chinese Restaurant joke and a Kentucky joke, you know you've struck comedy gold. LOL

But seriously, why they hatin' on some venison won-ton?

Haha. I love Chinese food and I love venison. Would love to have a combination of the two. But roadkill? C'mon, man. Who knows how long that thing was by the road. Maybe it died from Lyme Disease. lol I'll take my venison after a fresh kill. Mmm, ever have deer backstrap? Phenomenal!!!!

Artistic Tart
0 likes
Look, white man. It ain't nothing a little MSG can't take care of. Steam it, throw it under the heat lamp, dump some noodles on it, and voila:

Backstrap Lo Mein a la Paducah.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bwahaha. I prefer to be called caucasion, thank you very much.

This would have really been funny if the Chinese Roadkill Cafe was in Bucksnort, Tn. Real place, hilarious name.

Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
Bwahaha. I prefer to be called caucasion, thank you very much.

Okay. But first you need to learn how to spell Caucasian. Until then, you haven't earned any sort of designation containing the word "Asian."

Tigermom moment: over.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LadyX

Okay. But first you need to learn how to spell Caucasian. Until then, you haven't earned any sort of designation containing the word "Asian."

Tigermom moment: over.

Lol, well played my friend. Caucasian. Google even alerted me I'd misspelled it but I was too lazy to fix it.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
Customers at the Red Flower Chinese Restaurant in Williamsburg, Ky., alerted authorities after they spotted something they probably wish they hadn't: restaurant employees wheeling roadkill back to the kitchen.

Local CBS affiliate WYMT interviewed the witnesses. The roadkill was apparently a deer stuffed into a trash can. "There was actually a blood trail they were mopping up behind the garbage can," customer Katie Hopkins said. "There was like a tail, and like a foot and a leg sticking out of the garbage can, and they wheeled it straight back into the kitchen."

Local health inspector Paul Lawson was called in to investigate. Lawson said the restaurant owners told him they didn't know they were doing anything wrong. "They said they didn't know they weren't allowed to do that. So that makes me concerned that maybe they could have before. They didn't admit to doing it before." The owner said he didn't plan to serve the deer to customers—instead he planned to use it to feed his family.

The restaurant has been temporarily shut down but will be eligible to reopen as soon as it passes another health inspection and proves it has been washed and sanitized.

Kentucky restaraunt shut down for "wheeling in" roadkill.

This must be an upscale restaurant. Dont they normally just skin it, gut it and cook it out back?
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Not wanting to eat roadkill is just a cultural thing you know. Many Asians don't like eating cheese, which they think of as spoiled milk, most westerners balk at the idea of eating insects, no matter how tasty and protein packed they are. Many people, raised on supermarket meat, don't want to eat deer or any meat from a hunted animal. Others, myself included, don't want to eat an animal that was killed by a car and has been lying in the road for hours or days being picked at by buzzards and rodents. Everyone has some standards in cuisine, and they are mostly due to our upbringing. LadyX is right. With enough sauce and msg it could have been a very tasty Mongolian beef dish. Yummy. Most American Chinese restaurants rely on their sauces and whatever meat and vegetables are available locally. Beef and broccoli is one of my favorites. I'm sure roadkill deer and broccoli would be equally delicious, as long as you didn't know it was roadkill.

I have eaten lots of pieces of chicken in Chinese places that didn't look like any piece I've ever cut off a chicken. Who knows whats really hiding in a dumpling? There are always stories, mostly legend I hope, about cats and dogs being found in freezers in Chinese restaurants. I love Chinese food, at least the variety of Chinese food that is available in the USA. I'd love to eat in China. In Chinese restaurants in China there are things on the menu that would probably get the chef arrested in the USA.

I'd like to recommend The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8 Lee. It's a very interesting book about Chinese in America, Chinese food and Chinese restaurants. There are things that I never knew about how American Chinese restaurants are staffed and run. It's a fun read, and you can learn all about the real General Tso. He was nothing like Colonel Sanders.
[url]http://[/url]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My sister has a friend who served her road kill when she visited. He came across a deer that had just been struck by a vehicle. The police were on scene trying to figure out what to do with the carcass and agreed to let him take it if he wanted. He took it home, bled it, butchered it, and cooked it.

I admit the thought is a little weird for me, but I guess it's no different than killing it any other way. At least that way you wouldn't have the risk of biting into a bullet. But when it involves a restaurant, that seems a little too much unless they have an area designated for butchering in a sanitary manner.