Big 3

last reply
39 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Did anyone hear about the congress hearing on the big 3 ( GM, Chrysler & Ford).

One of the reps said, it looks strange to see a corporate jet wroth millions land and you come out with a tin cup.

Then asked what they needed - $25,000,000,000.00 (thats billion).
When asked what each company needed, the total was more then $25 billion.
They can't add.

When asked if they would sell their corporate jets, the answer was NO.

The big 3 said total loss of jobs, if they go under was 2,500,00 people.
That people that make, sell ect. for the big 3.
Thats $10,000 per person.

Lets see we have 5 people work for us. Plus people that make our equipment, raise the corn, sugar ect.
We go under 9 people are out of a job.
So we need $90,000

Think we'll get it. Think any small business will get it.

Think we need a jet to get it?

Food for thought.

Bat
Lurker
0 likes
I watched it on CNN today Bat. They're still thinking about giving it to them. They want a plan of action from them first.
Also heard if they fail or go under we go into a depression. We'll see.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"My fear is that you're going to take this money and continue the same stupid decisions you've made for 25 years," said Rep. Michael Capuano, D-Mass.

But will the government stand up to them and make them make better cars and trucks.

We had a 1986 Maxda B-2000 extcab pick-up that got 34 mpg. Ford bought Mazda and it made the Ranger that got 18 mpg.

So Michael Capuana, D-Mass -- Stand up to them.

Bat
Lurker
0 likes
I work with mostly fiscally-conservative Republicans who get nauseous at the thought of throwing more money into the fire that is our car industry.
Even so, the consensus around here is that they better give them the money with some radical stipulations, because they are unlikely to make it into Chapter 11, which allows them to keep operating, and there are so many dominoes to fall in their wake that it's truly scary.

Catch-22 is the term, I think.
Lurker
0 likes
I think that's one of the stips. They have to make "greener" or more green cars.
Lurker
0 likes
The biggest concern to the execs, is who is going to finance their golden parachutes and pension plans. I'll bet they dumped the company stock option plans long ago
Their arrogance is appalling. Why not fly in South West for a couple hundred bucks?
Back in the 70 the technology was there and a plan to make more efficient cars So they found a loop hole skirting the epa fuel requirements by building SUV's on truck chassis

The oil crisis came about when we finally hit peak oil Meaning we no longer were able to produce enough oil to match our demand. We had to purchase on the world market to make up the difference. There is no reason the fleet MPG average could not have approached 40 mpgs in 1985. Lets not discuss quality is Job one? They lost that one long ago
So now hold out you hand and ask for money for a broken model? We bailed out Chrysler already 2 times before and now a third time?

This point has not been brought up, the workers who pension plans were tied into the stock options. 35 years you retire to a stock worth $2 If lucky they might be worth $1,500

Is the money going into manufacturing? pension plans into operating cost ?

Read where the Bank bail out money is not going to the beleaguered home owners, but to purchasing other banks? Finance retreats pension plan for execs Incredible christmas bonuses golden parachutes
I say I don't trust our politicians to make wise choices with my money. Need I mention health care
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Another View ....

Myth No. 1
Nobody buys their vehicles.

Reality

General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC sold 8.5 million vehicles in the United States last year and millions more around the world. GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the United States last year and holds a U.S. lead over Toyota of about 560,000 so far this year. Globally, GM in 2007 remained the world's largest automaker, selling 9,369,524 vehicles worldwide -- about 3,000 more than Toyota.

Ford outsold Honda by about 850,000 and Nissan by more than 1.3 million vehicles in the United States last year.

Chrysler sold more vehicles here than Nissan and Hyundai combined in 2007 and so far this year.

Myth No. 2
They build unreliable junk.

Reality

The creaky, leaky vehicles of the 1980s and '90s are long gone. Consumer Reports recently found that "Ford's reliability is now on par with good Japanese automakers." The independent J.D. Power Initial Quality Study scored Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, Mercury, Pontiac and Lincoln brands' overall quality as high or higher than that of Acura, Audi, BMW, Honda, Nissan, Scion, Volkswagen and Volvo.

Power rated the Chevrolet Malibu the highest-quality midsize sedan. Both the Malibu and Ford Fusion scored better than the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Myth No. 3
They build gas-guzzlers.

Reality

All of the Detroit Three build midsize sedans the Environmental Protection Agency rates at 29-33 miles per gallon on the highway. The most fuel-efficient Chevrolet Malibu gets 33 m.p.g. on the highway, 2 m.p.g. better than the best Honda Accord. The most fuel-efficient Ford Focus has the same highway fuel economy ratings as the most efficient Toyota Corolla. The most fuel-efficient Chevrolet Cobalt has the same city fuel economy and better highway fuel economy than the most efficient non-hybrid Honda Civic. A recent study by Edmunds.com found that the Chevrolet Aveo subcompact is the least expensive car to buy and operate.

Myth No. 4
They already got a $25-billion bailout.

Reality

None of that money has been lent out and may not be for more than a year. In addition, it can, by law, be used only to invest in future vehicles and technology, so it has no effect on the shortage of operating cash the companies face because of the economic slowdown that's killing them now.

Myth No. 5
GM, Ford and Chrysler are idiots for investing in pickups and SUVs.

Reality

The domestic companies' lineup has been truck-heavy, but Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz and BMW have all spent billions of dollars on pickups and SUVs because trucks are a large and historically profitable part of the auto industry. The most fuel-efficient full-size pickups from GM, Ford and Chrysler all have higher EPA fuel economy ratings than Toyota and Nissan's full-size pickups.

Myth No. 6
They don't build hybrids.

Reality

The Detroit Three got into the hybrid business late, but Ford and GM each now offers more hybrid models than Honda or Nissan, with several more due to hit the road in early 2009.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember what killed the British motor Industry
Lurker
0 likes
The Detroit Three got into the hybrid business late, but Ford and GM each now offers more hybrid models than Honda or Nissan, with several more due to hit the road in early 2009.

Next myth we all can play games of selectivity when presenting facts. Note above Toyota was not included in the final statement

Again note no mention of Honda's advanced research in Hydrogen fuel cell fuel vehicles, Already released in a limited vollume in USA

Nor did he include the personal equipment? People could plug in their garages and replenish the hydrogen fuel cells.

What about Propane fueled vehicles?

I own a Chevy Colorado 4x/4x it haS THE BEST EPA MPGS FOR A 4X/4X TRUCK. But better is not good enough, It could and should be 35 mpgs

My two wood stoves are the only ones casted and manufactured in North America Vermont Castings. I have American pride
and alliances to American factory workers.

The only thing missing from the meeting with Congress, was the big three Did not wear a mask and carry a gun.

Honestly I'm on the fence here. I don't want to see the millions of workers and families unemployed. On the other hand , Chrysler has failed 2 times earlier.

Throwing money at a bad model does not fix it, Ie Health Care mess. Want to argue then present facts where the money goes and present a plan of moving forward, that can convince me my money is being well spent.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Not all my opinion ....just a published article

Hydrogen fuel cell fuel vehicles... less than 200 experimental on the road .....maybe in a further 10 years ...
Propane ...been available since the 70s ..being a by product of pertrol has disadvantages
but brilliant for fork lifts and Zamboni machines.

My opinion is there are too many makes/models

cut GM down to Cadillac and Chevrolet
Ford to Ford and Lincoln
Chrysler to Chrysler and Jeep

Dump all the other names complete with factories and costs

Wood burning stoves ...You won't know the delights of the AGA ..from my childhood
Lurker
0 likes
Want to argue then present facts where the money goes and present a plan of moving forward, that can convince me my money is being well spent.

Doesn't matter if you're convinced or not. You don't have a say in where it's going to go at this point.
I think if you had listened to Nancy Pelosi and the others yesterday you would have heard them mention that they aren't giving out the money until they see a plan of action on their behalf.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/20/campbell.big.three.plan/index.html
Lurker
0 likes
Says it all.

Throwing money at a bad model does not fix it, Ie Health Care mess. Want to argue then present facts where the money goes and present a plan of moving forward, that can convince me my money is being well spent.

A lot of people don't realize most of the costly payroll GM pays goes to people who have retired years ago. VERY comfy retirement packages. I won't say who's to blame for that done deal. Tech, G, and I live in the state where we see it all the time. It's 2008 now and it's biting them in the ass.
Lurker
0 likes
I live in the most liberal state of MA. Kennedy Kerry Frank and a governor to match

all promote efforts towards fuel efficient alternative energy

but when the pedal meets the road their tune changes

We have had a plan for an offshore wind farm in the works for year

Cape Cod coastline is about the best location wind wise This would be the largest such wind farm in the world

Guess who opposes it Kennedy Kerry Frank and our governor

It seems Kennedy might be able to see it from his estate in Hyanias port and ruin his view

Some how I have a hard time believing Barney Frank making my choice in aloting money

It was his proposal that got pushed threw congress that lowered the mortgage requirements that put us in this situation During the Clinton era

It was warned it could effect Freddie mac and others exactly as predicted, Yet nobody heeded the warnings. Barney Frank made bold speeches about making

Those involved accountable for the demise. I got news for You Barney You saw him this morning in the mirror.

Nancy Pelosi energy bill is an absolute joke. In year 2050 cars may have to be 40 mpgs We will all be dead before it helps us. Ps I exaggerated a bit here but it is ridiculous

And you want Us to put our trust in her wisdom?
Lurker
0 likes
Doesn't matter if you're convinced or not. You don't have a say in where it's going to go at this point.

Well that goes without saying, no?

It's a tribute to how critical to our economy and how deep in our psyche the auto industry is that we're going all 'Meet the Press' on a sex stories website forum...not that I'm complaining; I enjoy the discussion.

And Democrats and Republicans alike, the upshot here is the same: we can't afford to let the entire industry just cave in on itself (GM will never even make it to restructuring- it will have to liquidate), but the plan is demanded, and it better damn well be a good one, too. Alas, these guys are so used to congress just handing them concessions on demand that they are just now hearing the wakeup call...

(Cue over-played Mellencamp song)- "This is our countryyyyy"
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
Says it all.

A lot of people don't realize most of the costly payroll GM pays goes to people who have retired years ago. VERY comfy retirement packages. I won't say who's to blame for that done deal. Tech, G, and I live in the state where we see it all the time. It's 2008 now and it's biting them in the ass.

Just like I said, if they go bankrupt there goes all those golden parachutes
Lurker
0 likes
It's a tribute to how critical to our economy and how deep in our psyche the auto industry is that we're going all 'Meet the Press' on a sex stories website forum...

Not necessarily. We've all been friends a long time and discuss everything on here. Just like if there was wild fires in california in the news. We'd probably discuss that too.

oh wait. there is! But then again, when isn't there?
Lurker
0 likes
We already have wind farms in Texas. And by 2014 the largest one in the world will be finished here.
Lurker
0 likes
We all sit here and lament. It's out of our hands what can we Do? You're wrong. We can make a difference and we can make our voice heard

Every congressman hold office hours in their districts to field their voters opinions and concerns...

When is the last time you sat down with you Fed rep?

Personally I have talked to John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. You can contact them via email send letters, we can influence their voting.

Believe me I can be very convincing sitting opposite my congressman James Mc Govern. I can post a letter I had gave him trying to extend energy

credits to including wood and pellet stoves. There are even form letters you can edit to suit your cause.

Instead of arguing here take it upon your civic duty and do something about it.

Want to do something no matter what you believe is the right path we should take Get off you asses and do it

https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

Ps I"ll supply you the directories and emails to contact you senators and reps.
Lurker
0 likes
I've actually met my congressman and senators several times. The last time was in July of this year in his office in D.C. I think most people know how to talk to their reps in washington, don't they?
Lurker
0 likes
I agree most should know. My post was a reminder that they can and to remind readers to take it there. Also to break a stalemate of debate

I solute you for being active in our political process .I'm impressed. I'm glad to have hung around long enough to have conversed with you.

I admire leadership by example.
Lurker
0 likes
How is that leadership by example? I'm a private citizen that exercises her privilege to know the people that speak for me.
Lurker
0 likes
Are you not a rank Administrator here?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just read Exxon has $37 billion in cah. Maybe they should loan it to the big 3.

Bat
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
How is that leadership by example?

You went to Washington DC to meet your congressperson, you seem reasonably well-read on the issues, and have cogent opinions.

You may say that the bar is damn low in this country if that qualifies for leadership by example, but it is what is, unfortunately. I work with people who have lived here all their lives and don't know their congress-person....they should, of course, but they don't.

I admire you too, Chef!!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
We already have wind farms in Texas. And by 2014 the largest one in the world will be finished here.

The same company that built yours, is the one trying to build here. Its a classic example, we are green, till it is in my back yard.
Then all of a sudden, they get concerned about the fish and birds. Most of these very well to do people could give a ----- about the fish or fishermen. Up till now,

the only fishing pole they see, is in Bass Pro shop they pass, buying designer clothes. They have not responded to the argument ,it is possible the wind mill farms may act as a base and create new spawning grounds.

For years, the big three has fought to avoid producing fuel efficient cars. The example is, their lobbing efforts influenced the latest energy bill

They fought to keep the EPA MPG's requirements where thy are.

Here a scary bit of info: Since the down turn in fuel pump cost, there is a renewed interest in purchasing larger SUVs
I can't help but think our society is like the lennons march to the sea. It reminds me of an old Petter Paul and Mary song

"Where have all the flowers gone
long time passing
When will we ever learn
Wheeen will we ever learn"
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by Pam111
Are you not a rank Administrator here?

The word rank as an adjective it is used to mean profuse, conspicuous, absolute, or unpleasant,
especially in relation to the sense of smell or taste.

So we have smelly Administrators
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
Wow....I get busy for a few days and look at all the discussion I miss! I know you're all just dying to know what the Motown girl thinks (LOL). So here it goes:

I think it's audacious that big 3 corporate executives continue to make extraordinary salaries despite the financial state of their corporations. I think it's insane that the UAW doesn't understand that people who are laid off should not collect 90% of their salary. I belong to a union as a teacher and if I get laid off, I get the chance to buy my own insurance for awhile....and a spot on a waiting list to get the next available job I am qualified for if it every becomes available again. At 90% salaray, an automaker needs to lay off 10 people to net one person's salary (roughly). I can see not wanting to let go of that. But it has little value if the bottom line is the company will go under and the end result is 0%. I have watched neighbors who work for one of the big 3 get all kinds of stuff done around the house and go on vacation while laid off. While my other friends who get laid off from other jobs are often unable to keep their homes and find themselves at a loss for how they will keep going after the unemployment runs out. One of my old college buddies is waiting tables so he doesn't lose his house. One of my sisters has been unemployed for over a year. She is over 50 and has lots of experience and skill, but potential employers won't hire her because she is either over qualified or they think she would require too high a salary for her level of experience. Even when she gets an interview, she rarely gets a call back because companies are looking to hire younger people who they feel they can pay less. Another sister was recently laid off. She was days away from being promoted. She has been with the company for all of her adult life. She is also over 50 and the pickings are slim. But I digress...

As a Michigan resident, I really do worry about how much more punishment our economy can handle. There is a HUGE trickle-down effect that will bury many people in my state if the big 3 go under. I applaud the powers that be for recognizing that allowing bankruptcy would be devastating, but that bailout without specific restrictions and guidelines would be inappropriate.

This morning's headlines in the Detroit Free Press:

Democrats: Prove you can repay $25 billion
Democratic leaders in Congress called on Detroit's automakers Friday to submit "credible" financial plans to lawmakers by Dec. 2 for spending up to $25 billion in government money, including vows for "significant sacrifices" by top executives.

UAW may give up jobs bank to revive auto loans
During this week's hearings, members of Congress said they would want to see shared sacrifice at all levels, from hourly workers to executives. The jobs bank, derided as paying people not to work, is oft-criticized as an example of what's wrong with the U.S. auto industry.

At a news conference at the UAW's headquarters in Detroit on Thursday, Gettelfinger would not say whether the union would be willing to give up the jobs bank if required by Congress as a condition of a loan bailout.

When UAW autoworkers are laid off, they receive a combination of unemployment benefits and supplemental pay from their employer for 48 weeks. If they remain laid off beyond that, they move to the jobs bank, where the company provides about 95% of their pay and benefits. Until the most recent contract, people could remain in the jobs bank for years.

Wow...guess I had more to say than I thought. I hope and pray that all parties involved in the decision making process make wise choices and that people realize that things need to be done differently if our state is every going to see a recovery.

~~Tech

Please enjoy my current story competition entry:

Alisha Unleashed

Book Four in the Mac and Grace Saga begins:

Boardrooms & Boudoirs

And the latest micros:

Sheer Perfection & Still Fuckin’ Hot

Fireworks & Bliss

Lush Legend
0 likes
HAHAHA you crack me up D.....

I agree with you Chef and Tech.....very well said......
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
Missing here is we all have to examine ourselves. Detroit manufactured what our buying public wanted . Unfortunately the fuel guzzling SUV’s did not look too good when fuel was $4.20 a gallon. Even gas stations implemented $75 dollar credit card purchases, that only half fill them up. Now the public wants fuel efficient cars and trucks. You are a Ford dealer and have taken trade of 10 decent F150 sitting on you lot. Nobody is buying them Not at 12 mpgs You cant take another one in trade.

The trouble began with the sub prime mortgages during the Clinton Administration.
The initial premise was a good one, aimed to help first time buyers purchasing a home. Some where in-between Pandora’s box got opened and Mortgages were being given to people that had decent homes but wanted to have a mac mansions. Again at first it looked good. They paid interest only the first 3 or 5 years. It qualified them to purchase a home beyond their means. Again the premise was in 5 years the principle moneymaker would be making more money and the home equity would put them in a position to refinance. But like a lot of things too much of a good thing, too many purchasers living on the edge. The monthl;y payment of $1500 was not to bad to deal with. When the principal kicked in, that new payment was $4500 or more. It was then they realized they could not make payments they default and more and more homes enter the market so much so there is lesser demand to build. Every day these trick sub prime motrtages came due Meanwhile many owners had it so well in their mac mansions, naturally they had to have a 72’ Plasma a BWM in the driveway all purchased on credit or the huge ass suburan

As long as builder built and sold everything was going great. Then ia slowed down Truck sales are a major part of Detroit. Ususlly what happens each year in Washington’s day car sales Contractors purchase new F 150s No work and struggling nobody bought them. It was so bad Ford re badge the 2008’s to sell them as 2009’s. They stopped all production of F150’s

Who is to blame and there is plenty to go around, We all are, The average house hold is 15k in credit card debt. Eventually it has to be paid off. We took out equity loans used up our equity. The real problem is the homes got so devalued that their value is less than their original purchase price.
Less than the mortgage the owners hold. Are the banks responsible Yes they wrote the loans did the qualifications sold them to Freddie and Fanny. The purchasers are also to blame for not reading the fine print. Our government for passing legislation to allow these loans And our auto makers for making gas guzzlers. There is plenty of greed to go around

Here is what pisses me off me the most. Say you are intelligent enough to live within your means. Save some towards retirement even have a bank account? Now the government wants to bail out banks and carmakers guess who pays? The responsible ones because they are the only ones left with a few cents. The ones up to their eyeballs in Debt they have no money. I end up paying for those that spent foolishly in irresponsibly And I can tell you I’m not happy with it

So where does the money come from? We borrow on the future again. The same cause of our current situation is going to happen again, when those notes come due. Where does some of the money come from? We borrow on the world market, selling another piece of our country. Folks we are selling our independence. This is not that simple give Detroit the money. And you can bet they will be back looking for more. Just like our banking industry. Anyone care to guess how much of our banking industry is owned by foreign entities?

Has any noticed Beer is $1 a six pack more this year than last? Transportation cost Yes b It runs deeper. Food cost. In order to put ethanol in our gasoline, we grow corn instead of Barely. Our driving habits are interrupting our food chain. Milk cost more bread cost more. We have a shortage of grains due to corn to ethanol production. When the corn falls short of out demand We import it to countries who are cutting down rain forest to grow sugar beets. Cows need grains to survive as does most live stock. That’s why the food price increases It is never a good idea to disrupt the food chain but that’s what is happening. Making it worse, the cost to produce the ethanol is about the same as the energy it releases

There are no easy solution that throwing money at will fix, without major life style changes.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
BTW...for years I bought Ford cars thinking I was being a good American. Then I discovered that my "American" car was actually built in Canada. I now drive a "foreign" car and take a lot of heat for my decision. Want to know where my "foreign" car was built? That's right...the good old U.S.A.

Please enjoy my current story competition entry:

Alisha Unleashed

Book Four in the Mac and Grace Saga begins:

Boardrooms & Boudoirs

And the latest micros:

Sheer Perfection & Still Fuckin’ Hot

Fireworks & Bliss