Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BLACK FRIDAY STRIKE - EVENT:WALMART Options · View
myself
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 7:25:31 AM

BLACK FRIDAY STRIKE - EVENT:
https://www.facebook.com/events/436392286418592/

SIX WALMART HEIRS HOLD MORE WEALTH THAN 42% OF AMERICANS COMBINED:
"The recession has devastated the finances of many Americans, but it has been very good to the Walton family. Since 2007, Walmart stores have been flooded with millions of folks who've lost their shirts in the housing bust, stock market crash, and stalled job market—people who can no longer afford to buy anything that isn't made in China and sold by someone making close to minimum wage.
The six Walmart heirs now have more wealth than the bottom 42 percent of Americans combined, up from 30 percent in 2007. Between 2007 and 2010, the collective wealth of the six richest Waltons rose from $73 billion to $90 billion, while the wealth of the average American declined from $126,000 to $77,000 (13 million Americans have negative net worth).
It may be no accident that rising income inequality in America since the 1970s has coincided with Walmart's meteoric expansion..."
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/07/walmart-heirs-waltons-wealth-income-inequality
Walmart - The High Cost Of Low Prices (Full Length Documentary):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dl0Pwcy3nM

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
FelineFantasy
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 1:52:32 PM

This isn't going to stop a whole nation from going on a batshit crazy shopping spree...

Click > here < to read my first feature story, Techno Aphrodite by Piquet!
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:28:31 PM

I boycott Walmart every day, despise that place. I go there 3 or 4 times a year and it always pisses me off.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
crazydiamond
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:43:08 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
I boycott Walmart every day, despise that place. I go there 3 or 4 times a year and it always pisses me off.

walmart , well... it kinda sucks.

(actually ... it really sucks) bunny

Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 5:53:07 PM

I don't like wally either but, I understand why people go there. They will never boycott it anytime soon. I've compared the prices of them, Kmart, and Target. Wally is always lower. When you're as cash strapped as so many people are, they will save money, even if it's a small amount, wherever they can. That's why wally will always win in the end. Most people will chose to save their money for other things.
myself
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 9:29:14 AM

I also shopped at wally world for many years but do not and will not anymore. I have traveled and lived in many places in America and have seen first hand what walmart and their chinese goods have done to small business that sell local goods. In fact, I've seen walmarts make ghost towns in many rural areas shutting down almost all other business within and surrounding these once surviving communities. Personally, I have a way in my poverty state to support the worthy small grocery stores with great local meats and produce, decent brand dry goods and beautiful bakeries for just a few cents more while knowing the bulk of my cash spent there goes directly back to these particular communities and so myself and it feels good. I am not the norm because I'm not dependent on walmart's clothing or electronics or anything they offer. This is because I have spent a lifetime and as well my ancestors have shopped second hand. We do not run out and get the latest anything, but instead say, I'm gonna get any particular product in a few years when it begins to resurface in the second hand retail places. This is not a pity plea. I prefer it this way. It is easier to still find quality goods, many made in America, that last for years and do their jobs well at a fraction of the cost which allows me a way to have quality rather that inferior merchandise. It also allows me the option to support my community and myself and live with in my means.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
ImJustHere
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:33:47 PM

I go there for certain things. Usually only about once a month. Can't beat the prices, and some of us need to save as much as possible these days.
That being said, I don't like Wal - Mart at all other than the prices on what I go there for.

Side note: Black Friday.......I will NEVER EVER go shopping that day.
Did it once, at 5am in the morning....never seen so many assholes in one day in my life. I'll pay full price before fighting with someone for something and then having to stand in the 500ft checkout line for 4 hours.
I like to save money on things, but that's just not worth it.
Buz
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:53:20 PM

Walmart has destroyed literally thousands of locally owned businesses. Local businesses return local money into your local community. Not Walmart. It is one giant leech sucking money out of communities and putting it into the Walton empire.

Whatever happened to that 'Made in America' program Walmart had? Most everything they sell is made in China at slave wages.

I am all about making a profit in business but I couldn't live with myself if I did it the Walmart way.

Sweetcheeks2004
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:16:02 PM

Don't stop with Black Friday, boycott it everyday. One day won't break them but a whole week, month, or year will get their attention.
tristalynn2000
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:29:23 PM

my wife works there and she hates it but cant quite cause no other job will pay her what she make the expect 5 poeple to do 20 poeples jobs in 7 hrs so if everyone would boycott black fridayshed be happy it might send the idoits at the top a message take it back to family orented bussiness and it be much better they want to start the sales at 6 pm thanksgiving day what about family time and whats next they will probly be open x mas day might as well not celebrate holidays anymore cause its all about money to the big shots at the top while they r at home enjoying family time all there empolyees will be slaveing a way for minium wage SCREW U WALMART U SUCK
scooter
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 7:33:02 AM

Man, you sure said a mouth full tristalynn, all in one breath.
Sorry dude, but that was a tough read.

Walmarts no different than any other large chain when it comes to low prices.
If you go and shop blindly, the Waltons will own you.
overmykneenow
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 8:10:34 AM

Anyone in the UK, if you feel like joining in you can boycott Asda - part of the Wal-mart family

The dairy farmers alone will thank you for it

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
tristalynn2000
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 9:47:25 AM

thank you scooter what can ya do thats all we have were we live and have no choice
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 11:54:04 AM

tristalynn2000 wrote:
thank you scooter what can ya do thats all we have were we live and have no choice

Somehow, TristaLynn, I doubt that's true unless WalMart already drove every other business in town bankrupt.

Developers wanted to build a WalMart in a suburb of Washington, DC a couple years ago. Groups against the new store commissioned studies to bolster their arguments and the following things were discovered:

1. For every entry level job (low wages, no benefits) created by WalMart, 1.7 higher paying jobs in the community were lost.

2. As 'myself' posted in the graphic above, the majority of WalMart employees live below the poverty level and are eligible for food stamps and other government assistance. (This is not an employer communities should be courting.)

3. The majority of revenue made by 'local Mom and Pop' stores remains in the community. The studies showed that approximately 80% of revenue made by WalMart stores leaves the community in the form of 'corporate profits'. So EVERY dollar spent in WalMart contributes detrimentally to the community where they are located and makes the Walton family richer. How do you think they got so wealthy while towns across the US became blighted??

So, forget boycotting WalMart on Black Friday. If you want to do some good for your community, BOYCOTT THEM EVERYDAY, it will make your town a more prosperous place.

Note: To do even more good for your community, stop using big (Wall Street) Banks (which send ALL their PROFITS to WALL STREET) and use your local Credit Unions. ALL their money stays in the community!
tristalynn2000
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 4:03:39 PM

yes it is gulfcoaster all we have is wamart lowes fastfood resturants and a couple of carryouts all the little stores r gone
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 5:42:30 PM

tristalynn2000 wrote:
yes it is gulfcoaster all we have is wamart lowes fastfood resturants and a couple of carryouts all the little stores r gone

That truly sucks. It's a shame your community didn't realize the damage opening up a WalMart would do to the local economy! Where I live in SW FLA, we've got several of the big evil stores, but there are still a lot of Mom and POP stores around too. It drives up my cost of living a bit, but I prefer helping my community's economy by shopping them instead of the big-box stores. Your experience with WalMart illustrates the points I made in my original post. WalMart does more damage than good when they come into a community and I'm afraid there's no way out of the death spiral your town is now in. My condolences.
tristalynn2000
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:08:00 AM

i know for real it suck not having choices
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:40:31 PM

There are many 'Boycott WalMart on Black Friday' efforts out there, this is but one or a branch of one of the others, I can't help but wonder if it isn't beginning to have an effect. I just saw an ad on TV where WalMart has announced that they are beginning their 'Black Friday' event on Thanksgiving day! Let's hope the customers are smarter than that and see through their corporate greed.
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 12:36:21 PM