Login

Copyrighting Stories

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Who all copyrights their stories and if you do what do you put down? Just looking for ideas here.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
I include a copyright notice on all my work. The wording of it is fairly standard:

"© 2010-2012 by the author. All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced, displayed, modified or distributed without prior permission. Please be respectful of my intellectual property."

The last line has no standing whatsoever, by the way. It's just a little dig at those who would steal my work or mine it for ideas so they don't have to come up with anything new themselves.
Maggie R
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I did a copyright notice because I wasn't sure if I should or not. Many of us have had our stories stolen, by "scraping" off the site. So I've found that an effective way to help counteract that is to post "This story/poem only available on Lush Stories" at the start and end of the piece. I even considered putting it halfway through at one point for a giggle, but that's both awkward and annoying.

I learned quickly that it doesn't seem to matter what methods we put in place, it's easy for people to plagiarise if they really want to, but things like that help. I was actually flattered that somebody might think my stuff was good enough to nick, so I just leave it at that. It wouldn't work if you posted your material elsewhere, but Lush is all I need, so I'm happy with that.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks for the link Nicola. I put a copyright on my page but didn't have an external link. I wouldn't give anyone permission anyway! And I don't expect it to solve the problem - I know too much about web page design to know better than that!