Birth Control

last reply
7 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hey ladies, I was wondering how you guys told your parents about wanting to get on birth control for the first time.

I want to get on without telling my parents I'm having sex. Since my mom's always warning me about getting caught up in the moment, I thought I'd say I just want to be on it in case I ever did get caught up in the moment. She responded by saying no and I can't get on until I'm in a serious relationship. I thought I could use that excuse since she had my brother at a young age but she's not giving in. Help?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know you asked for ladies only but feel I could contribute as a parent my two pennyworth. It's your body just go ahead and make your own arrangements. From the sound of your mum's attitude it seems the hassle if you got pregnant would be far greater than if she found out about whichever method of contraception you choose.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Just go to the doctor on your own and get a prescription. You don't have to tell your mom. If you're concerned about your family doctor being like a finger-wagging second mom or if there's any embarrassment there, then just go to a walk-in clinic. They can probably even give you a couple of months worth of free samples to start you off. Just keep them in your wallet or out of sight from your mom if you think she will be unhappy about it.

If none of these things are possible... they often put girls on the pill if their periods are irregular or extra heavy/painful etc. - it makes them more regular and less intense. So there's a non-birth-control related excuse you can use for being prescribed the pill.

I would strongly suggest using condoms though, either instead of or along with the pill. The pill doesn't protect against STI's and you don't want to get stuck with the incurable ones like HPV or herpes. Best to play it safe, especially in the beginning until you're more experienced and really know your partner's history.

And... when you do go on the pill, read the packet carefully - if you miss or skip a dose or take the pill and then end up sick that day and it doesn't get into your system, there can be real pregnancy consequences that month so double up with condoms until you start your next packet.

When I was younger, I never discussed birth control with family or asked permission. I just took care of it on my own. I started with condoms and then eventually went on the pill as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Actually my mom approached me. We had a discussion about sex and she asked me if I was sexually active and when I told her I have had sex, the topic of birth control came up. I was very lucky that my mom was very understanding and open minded. She didnt condone having sex at a such a young age but was smart enough to realize it was a fact of life.

And I have been the same way with my girls!

Thanks Mom!!!
Lurker
0 likes
My mom was like Nikki's thankfully. We always had that kind of relationship.
But since your mom is against it and if you're a healthy young woman, then one of the two kinds of pills out there might be good for you. There's a combination pill as well as a progestin only pill. You might want to discuss them with your doc before deciding on one or the other. As well as the extended cycle pill.
I've used the combo as well as a depo-provera shot at different times of course. That was my favorite because it wasn't expensive and I only had to think about it every 3 months. But if you have multiple partners, still use a condom. Male not female. Females aren't as effective as males. There's also a vaginal ring and an implant to think about. The vag ring you have to take out for a week so you can have a cycle too. As well as a diaphragm but all of those as well as the patch are harder to hide if you don't want your mom to find out about it. Well, except for the implant of course and it's more expensive. I think I heard it can be about $800.00
Whatever you decide, at least pick one of them. An unwanted or unplanned is a kinder word, pregnancy is a lifelong commitment that you may not want to make yet.
Princess Blondie
0 likes
If you're over the age of 18, and given this is Lush you have to be. Then you don't need your parents consent to be on any form of birth control. Just walk in and ask for it. If you don't feel comfortable going to a family doctor, go to a walk-in clinic. There is always ways of getting it.

Best of Luck
†Jinxy Approved†

Lurker
0 likes
The problem that I've been having is I don't have a license yet and my doctor is a 20-30 minute drive from my house so I can't get there yet. Then I've been looking into Mirena instead of just going on the pill. I was thinking Mirena because it lasts for 5 years and I know that if I miss a single pill, I can get pregnant. I don't always remember to take my medicine so I don't wanna risk missing a pill for birth control. Will definitely use a condom too, I just want double protection in case there's a hole in the condom or for some reason the birth control doesn't work.

Another thing is that I just switched doctors so now I have the same doctor as my both my parents and my brothers. We met for the first time last week and she completely chewed me out because I decided to wait a year before going to college. I don't wanna get chewed out about sex which is much worse than waiting a year for college.

Last problem is if I use the insurance, since its under my parents' names, will they get notified that I went to the doctor(if anyone knows)?

Thank you guys soooo much for your help so far!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by FireAngel12
The problem that I've been having is I don't have a license yet and my doctor is a 20-30 minute drive from my house so I can't get there yet. Then I've been looking into Mirena instead of just going on the pill. I was thinking Mirena because it lasts for 5 years and I know that if I miss a single pill, I can get pregnant. I don't always remember to take my medicine so I don't wanna risk missing a pill for birth control. Will definitely use a condom too, I just want double protection in case there's a hole in the condom or for some reason the birth control doesn't work.

Another thing is that I just switched doctors so now I have the same doctor as my both my parents and my brothers. We met for the first time last week and she completely chewed me out because I decided to wait a year before going to college. I don't wanna get chewed out about sex which is much worse than waiting a year for college.

Last problem is if I use the insurance, since its under my parents' names, will they get notified that I went to the doctor(if anyone knows)?

Thank you guys soooo much for your help so far!

It will depend on the insurance plan whether or not your parents get notified. If you have a co-pay for a doctors visist or for prescriptions, they may not see it. But if the insurance pays a percentage of the cost, then they will get billed for the non-covered portion of the expense and they will see it. Check to see if there are any clinics near you that offer free birth control.

I have heard some good and bad things about the Mirena IUD. I know they had a recall and there are some serious side effects. You seem like you are pretty together on this so make sure you check all the options before deciding what is best for you.

As for the doctor telling your parents, I think if you are over the legal age of consent she legally can not tell your parents. It would fall under doctor/patient confidentiality, but I am not positive about that and the laws may vary from state to state. She still may chew you out though! Good Luck!