Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Club Zafia.... Options · View
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 1:18:31 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716

(blush) ... another one from One Eskimo ....

:-))

Van


Rembacher
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 7:46:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
VanGogh wrote:

Oberon ... and other music buddies:

Broken Bells
is an American rock music band composed of artist-producer Brian Burton (better known as Danger Mouse) and James Mercer, the lead vocalist and guitarist for the Albuquerque indie rock band The Shins. Broken Bells compose and create as a duo, but are joined by a full band on tour.

Hope you like it .....

Van



They are good. Loved the video when Xuani showed me it, Broken Bells Video featuring Christina Hendricks and then devoted an entire thread to this video in June.

As for Band of Horses, I've been a fan since this song was posted on this thread back in May. In fact, I think if you go through this thread you will find it two, or maybe even three times between then and now.

Loislane wrote:


Maybe I'm being an ass, or maybe I just have too good of a memory. But someone talking as if they "discovered" something new, when it has already been posted here months ago just rubs me the wrong way
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 8:32:19 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Jebru wrote:
VanGogh wrote:

Oberon ... and other music buddies:

Broken Bells
is an American rock music band composed of artist-producer Brian Burton (better known as Danger Mouse) and James Mercer, the lead vocalist and guitarist for the Albuquerque indie rock band The Shins. Broken Bells compose and create as a duo, but are joined by a full band on tour.

Hope you like it .....

Van




Maybe I'm being an ass, or maybe I just have too good of a memory. But someone talking as if they "discovered" something new, when it has already been posted here months ago just rubs me the wrong way


wow ... sorry to have rubbed you the wrong way Jebru ... but I guess you are very sensitive to the implications that I had DISCOVERED something that you already knew about MONTHS ago. Do you see any of my postings MONTHS ago?? Nah, Oberon has only introduced me to this thread a month ago if that!

So .... my find was new for me, my new discovery ... quite thrilling since i am from little ole Vancouver and holed up in a law firm all day ...

too bad you only see from your own little point of view. my thought about your comments ... yup, you are being an ass, and quite unkind.

but ... hey ... I guess it's good to have a resident MeanAss ....

Van
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 11:28:57 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
so not to offend Jebru .... my disclaimer is as follows:

this is NOT a new discovery - not in any way at all! s/ Van


Wide Mouth Mason is a Canadian blues-based rock band, consisting of Shaun Verreault (Lead Vocals, Guitar) and Safwan Javed (Percussion, Backing Vocals). Bassist Earl Pereira was a co-founder of Wide Mouth Mason. The band hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and has been active since 1995.

OLD SHIT (not a new discovery!)!! from their 1999 album entitled "Where I Started"

oh ... and the video completely sucks - it's the music that grooves, baby!



Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:07:10 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716

Totally new (but maybe Jebru has already seen this one months ago) ..... Jess Hill reminds me of Natalie Merchant in all ways!

Enjoy!

Van


Jess Hill is a singer-songwriter risen from the countless talented denizens of East Vancouver. She is a storyteller whose delicately constructed lyrical worlds are held firmly in place by her captivating compositions. Her music will smash your heart, pinch you in your sweetest nerves, give pause to the present and sing you to sleep all in one gently fierce moment.

‘Orchard’ will be released in the fall of 2010. “Immediately personable, she softly spoke into the mike as if she were whispering to her closest friend and she sang as if she were playing to an open field of dying flowers at twilight.”

http://jesshill.ca/

Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:07:25 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716

Great songs Van!

Thanks for posting.



Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:10:52 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:11:56 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:13:10 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:14:12 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:28:05 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Someone I didn't know very well once gave me a CD for Christmas that I had just bought for myself.
I didn't tell her that. What for?
I appreciated the gift and the spirit in which it was given.
I also realized that I had met someone who seemed to know me and with whom I shared a taste in music.
We became good friends and over the years we delighted each other with musical finds and discoveries that we thought the other would like.
Sometimes we had bought each other the same CD. We would laugh and one of us would exchange theirs for some other newly discovered gem.
Sometimes the music we discovered was old to others but new to us or else we would come across a CD in the other person's collection we had never heard.
Discovering an old CD that I had never heard was just as exciting as hearing the newest band on the radio.
My friendship with that person is responsible for at least half of my current CD collection.

Thanks Van Gogh for posting your discoveries.
They are all new to me.
There's already one song of yours that I have aded to my daily playlist.
I look forward to adding many more.

- A fan -









VanGogh wrote:
Jebru wrote:
VanGogh wrote:

Oberon ... and other music buddies:

Broken Bells
is an American rock music band composed of artist-producer Brian Burton (better known as Danger Mouse) and James Mercer, the lead vocalist and guitarist for the Albuquerque indie rock band The Shins. Broken Bells compose and create as a duo, but are joined by a full band on tour.

Hope you like it .....

Van




Maybe I'm being an ass, or maybe I just have too good of a memory. But someone talking as if they "discovered" something new, when it has already been posted here months ago just rubs me the wrong way


wow ... sorry to have rubbed you the wrong way Jebru ... but I guess you are very sensitive to the implications that I had DISCOVERED something that you already knew about MONTHS ago. Do you see any of my postings MONTHS ago?? Nah, Oberon has only introduced me to this thread a month ago if that!

So .... my find was new for me, my new discovery ... quite thrilling since i am from little ole Vancouver and holed up in a law firm all day ...

too bad you only see from your own little point of view. my thought about your comments ... yup, you are being an ass, and quite unkind.

but ... hey ... I guess it's good to have a resident MeanAss ....

Van
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:41:25 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Just heard this for the first time on the radio.
I don't know how old it is.
If you've heard it before, uh...don't play it.



Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:18:01 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716


Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:21:53 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:32:12 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716


He's a tad bit Dylanish
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:35:16 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716


Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:40:20 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:47:31 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Rembacher
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:54:51 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
Oberon wrote:
Just heard this for the first time on the radio.
I don't know how old it is.
If you've heard it before, uh...don't play it.




Yeah, I think Pearl Jam's Last Kiss is one of the rare times where the cover is better than the original. Here is the original, decide for yourself.



Stealing from Loislane's "theme days" on Zafia, what are your favourite covers?
Rembacher
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:19:46 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
I'm pretty sure this video has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. This is my vote for the best cover ever. Added points for Joe Cocker having the balls to cover The Beatles.

Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:30:40 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Loislane!!!

That clip - The Boy Who Trapped the Sun .... Wonderful!!! Loved it and am now hunting for more!!

Thank you for sharing!! flower

Van
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:45:16 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716


I do like themes (smiles)The Automatic doing an awesome cover of Gold Digger, Jebru
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:49:54 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716


Massive Attack Cover
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:07:36 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
VanGogh wrote:
Loislane!!!

That clip - The Boy Who Trapped the Sun .... Wonderful!!! Loved it and am now hunting for more!!

Thank you for sharing!! flower

Van


Try Home,Katy...they are brilliant
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:39:38 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 7,216
Location: Your dirty fantasy
A spellbinding piece of music that I'll be working with at a dance workshop this week.
This is a beautiful and emotional performance as a music video as well.





Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:33:24 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:37:56 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:45:37 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:48:46 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 819,716
MrNudiePants
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:30:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,226
Location: United States
I don't think Ruthie's been posted here before. I'm in a kind of bluesy mood lately. If you ever get htis way, too, check out Ruthie Foster. She's been in the business for a long time and doesn't get near the recognition she deserves.



Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.