Too "Understanding"?

last reply
11 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I'll understand if you don't want to read all this.

I've been thinking about this for a long time. Is it possible for a lass to be too understanding?

I don't like playing games, and toying with emotions. I prefer to be straight-talking and honest, although kindly and with respect. I've read here that many people like the chase. Numerous friends have said that we should leave the opposite sex wanting more. I just think that if you like somebody, and they like you, you should do things you like together, and be honest about it. And have some fun!

When I joined Lush, I was fresh out a barely-there relationship. We began to get very close very quickly after months of me supporting the lad through a break-up with his long-term partner. I realised I liked him, but I never said anything until he did first. Just a few days after that night, his ex appeared on the scene again, and he went back to her. I know he loved her very much, but he was beginning to move on. or so he said. I was obviously nothing much, since he stopped talking to me, pretty much.

Before him, I had a relationship of sorts with somebody who was in a broken marriage. He told me his situation, and I was prepare to wait for him when he asked me to. During that year of waiting, he asked me to have sex with him (I wasn't ready), and when I said no, he asked if he could take me up the bum instead. I know, my alarm bells went off, but I tried to be understanding.

He told me many fantasies of his, including some horrific imagery, some of which was legal, some of which wasn't. I tried my hardest to understand why he liked those things, or the idea of them, at least. I never judged him. I always listened to what he had to say, and if I ever struggled with things he said, I told him so, but never rebuked him for being honest.

As his personal life hit a downward spiral, he began to lean on me more and more. I was very ill with depression, but I tried my hardest to be there for him, to give the advice he asked for, to send him little care packages (which he asked for), and not say the things I knew would hurt him. I always found a nice way to give him the truth he was asking of me. Eventually, things came to a head (arf arf), and he decided to unleash some very hurtful words at me. Apparently, the only reason he was in any kind of friendship with me, was because nobody else would. He wanted me to "experience being loved".

And before him, there was a lad at college who spent weeks telling me his troubles, who asked me to be his girlfriend. We had spent so much time together (me listening, him whining, finding fun things to do that he enjoyed, and finding the brighter side of things where we could), and stupidly, I really liked him (despite how much his whining annoyed me). So I agreed. He suddenly confessed he quite liked my best friend, and told me he needed to go and confess it, so that he could get it out in the open and move on. He said he could then be with me freely. I didn't really understand (I still don't).

However, I agreed, and when he hadn't returned an hour later, I got suspicious and went to my friend's room. He was sat on the bed, and she was sat behind the desk. She acted awkwardly. and he couldn't get out of there fast enough. It turned out that he'd tried to snog her (even though she had a boyfriend), and he thought that by telling her he was going out with me, she would somehow be consumed with passion for him. She wasn't.

Whilst this is a long post, it's not nearly enough detail to make any assumptions about me, them, or the situations, but I want to know if it's my fault. Am I stupid for trying to understand people, and listen to what is important to them? I read things on here where I make snap judgements about people, and what turns them on, or what they are like. But I try my hardest to try and understand why they think like that. None of us are perfect, but is it my own downfall that I try to see where others are coming from?

So far, all it has done is lead to me getting both hurt and passed over for people who are "more attractive, sexier, better-looking, nicer" people than I am.

Should I really try and play cards that aren't mine, and try to be "sexy and alluring"? It's just not me. I'm not any of those things they say they are looking for. Do I care too much about other people? I know one of my faults is caring too much what others think about me, but is it a sex crime to want to please and listen to them, and desire that same respect back? Do I really have to play mind games to be found attractive? Maybe I am just the equivalent of the whiny "nice guys", but I just want to love and be loved with honesty and openness. Am I scuppering my own chances of that happiness by being so understanding?

Thank you in advance for honest replies.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Check your email...for a personal response. My thoughts about this are for you and you alone.
Lurker
0 likes
The short answer from me is... Yes you are. And it seems you have a pattern of finding and holding onto people who frankly are NOT a good match for you. It is one thing to "understand" others, but yet another to keep them around when they CLEARLY are not of the same mind set or beliefs/desires as you are. And as you have found out, it usually leads to pretty crappy endings anyways. Everyone has a match for them (and frankly quite a few), so why try to fit a square peg on a round hole? To make the peg feel better? Be empathetic, but don't forget YOURSELF in the mix.
Lurker
0 likes
Shylass,

I hope 'the guys' don't mind me giving my opinion but I really really wanted to comment on this post.

I agree with what JohnC said, you have to be yourself. Other people will tell you this and you have heard it before but it's true. You are special for different reasons than the next girl. If you are too busy trying to be 'understanding' with someone that's asking you to change yourself or asking too much of you, you might miss the person that's looking for the real 'YOU'.

Apparently, the only reason he was in any kind of friendship with me, was because nobody else would. He wanted me to "experience being loved"

I truly hope you don't believe this. He said this to you to take the focus off the fact he had done the wrong thing. Men like this seek out women they think will do these things for them, because they are too weak to look after themselves.

You, Shylass are smart, witty, mature, beautiful, compassionate, empathetic and loved by a huge number of people here. I'm assuming you are quite popular in your real life too. Don't let anyone tell you, you are less than those things. Be true to yourself, be who you really are and wait for the person who will treat you right to come along. Don't change yourself, your beliefs or be bullied into something, for ANYBODY.

Who says you are not sexy and alluring? Who made that decision and what makes it right? Sexy and alluring are made up of many things. Your mind, confidence, personality, the way you walk, speak are also things that can be sexy and alluring to other people. It's not always about looks and if that's all a person is looking for, then their relationships wont' last.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Men are pigs. You know it and deep down, so do we. Guys in general will pursue as a matter of course and really not think about the ramifications until they make the catch. I don't think it's your fault, you've tried to be honest and you've done your best to be there for them.

I will say that you've had some bad luck. There are guys who can be decent and honest and you are bound to find one. The only other thing I can say is that no matter what anyone says, don't let it make you feel guilty or like its you who brought it on. You deserve to think well of yourself and those thoughts won't help.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Going after guys who are in a relationship with someone else seems to be the common thread. Some guys will look to meet their needs outside a relationship if it is too difficult to meet them within. If you allow yourself to be that outlet, it will never end pretty. They will use you to make themselves feel better and discard you after.

It is easy for me to say that you should avoid these situations. My guess though is your depression has left you doubting your personal worth and these bad relationships are seen as better than nothing. Well, you have clearly made an impact on many people here at Lush and are extremely valued to this community. I'd suggest that the confidence you bring here can be the model for confidence you carry in the outside world. When you begin to value yourself more, good relationships will follow.

Best of luck!
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set her free." -Michelangelo

Please Enjoy: The Beach, The Workout, The Hike
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read things on here where I make snap judgements about people, and what turns them on, or what they are like. But I try my hardest to try and understand why they think like that. None of us are perfect, but is it my own downfall that I try to see where others are coming from?

There's nothing wrong with trying to understand someone but no matter how well you think you know what's going on in their head, their actions and reactions can always change with differing circumstances.

How people feel and how they respond to things changes with how they feel in themselves all the guys you mentioned were at a seriously low ebb in their self-esteem. Correct me if I'm wrong as well but I'm guessing they are all introvert types as well. Is this the type of person you're attracted to?

The more you listen and talk with them and the longer time passes by the more their self-esteem is repaired. Unfortunately, "fixing" someone doesn't always mean they become a better person. It also seems that while you've been helping them through a process you haven't been getting the same back. Any relationship needs to build self-esteem on both sides - without that you're in trouble.

You're more than aware that the common denominator, as painful as is it to say: is you. Yes they were all complete arseholes, but you picked them - you "understood" them, no one was better placed to see what they would do than you. That in no way means that you're doomed to make the same relationship mistakes forever - it just means that you become more aware of them.

You could try to pretend to be someone you're not - but what enjoyment would get from life? By all means try to understand someone but don't make it a deal breaker - let them have their mysteries, sometimes the best people are the ones you can't predict. Opening up your psyche should be as important as opening up your thighs - don't just do it for anyone.

You're an angler, Daisy. You'll only know the bait when you know what you want to catch.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Thank you very much, lovely people, both for posts, and private messages. I appreciate it very much.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I'm not trying to be mean okay.

I don't think it's about being too understanding. It's about being too available. There is thing inside humans that makes us naturally bored with things that are too easy or not a challenge. It's more satisfying to make a 3 pointer than a layup. I think this is inherent in every human and it is there with EVERYTHING we do. We like to be challenged. Something about girls that are too clingy, available, helpful etc. pushes me away for some reason. It's just a reaction I can't help.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Something about girls that are too clingy, available, helpful etc. pushes me away for some reason.
It's just a reaction I can't help.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I sent a private message with my thoughts on this.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Thank you for your replies, both here and in PMs. You're lovely.

Quote by Magical_felix
I'm not trying to be mean okay.

I don't think it's about being too understanding. It's about being too available. There is thing inside humans that makes us naturally bored with things that are too easy or not a challenge. It's more satisfying to make a 3 pointer than a layup. I think this is inherent in every human and it is there with EVERYTHING we do. We like to be challenged. Something about girls that are too clingy, available, helpful etc. pushes me away for some reason. It's just a reaction I can't help.

I understand what you're saying.

I never set out to fancy the guys, it developed over time from being just mates. I never see anybody as initial romantic material, really. History has always told me that I'm the Friend. In all three cases, I never said anything or dared hope anything until they said something. That's why I don't understand why they bothered. I was happy to be their friend, and then they didn't even want that.

I know that I'm a mess, and I need constant reassurance, even from just my platonic friends. I'm aware of my failings, and that if I were to enter into a relationship, I would be too much work for anybody right now. I always thought relationships should be equal, even if sometimes one partner has to shoulder more than the other for a while.

Maybe that's the problem. I can't see things the way you do. Challenge is good, but when does challenge stop being healthy, and become just daft mind games? Why does being in a relationship mean we can't be available or helpful to the other? Or is that just your preference? I understand teasing, and stuff. But to make somebody chase after me properly is just not my nature. When I hide, I do it because I need to hide, not because I want a lad to run after me. Just as well we don't fancy each other, then, innit.