Online Friends

last reply
23 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Forum Whore
0 likes
This is a post I found on Tumblr quite a while ago. I can show links to where I got it, but I don't know if that's the original source. If anyone has information on this, please contact me so I can edit this post and credit the proper people.

So here we go....

Those are my thoughts on the matter. You don't have to agree or disagree. Just showing I love my online friends.
Lurker
0 likes
I've said that, both verbally and typed, so many times. Indeed I had an argument with someone over it, funnily enough they were an internet friend. They aren't any more, but that just goes to show that you can fall out with an internet friend after they have hurt your feelings over and over again. I'm a firm believer that if you connect with someone, distance, means and being able to see them doesn't matter.
CurlyFries
0 likes
I joined an internet parenting/support group when I was PG about 13 years ago (this is what happens when I spend too much time at a desk). Fast forward 13 years, I'm still friends with approximately 18 of these women on FB. I've met probably 10 of them in real life. I plan on meeting one for lunch on Friday, another drove up from SC to meet for lunch when I was on vacation in Savannah, and one actually flew in from Boston to stay with me for a long weekend. We all met on the internet, but I count three of these women as some of my closest friends in real life. When my marriage started to implode, they were the first to hear about it.

So I definitely agree that real friendships can be made from internet friendships. Not to mention the few Lushies who've made it into my real life as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Online friendships can appear every bit as real as traditional friendships but they're often a lot more fragile.

The main difference is that we only see part of the picture and the rest we fill in ourselves - that's why online friends can surprise us (in good ways and bad). Of course with real-life friends they don't usually just disappear off the face of the earth - online friendships often end that way.

I value my online friendships but I know that their basis is far more amorphous and insubstantial than the solid friendships I make in real life. That said of course, amorphous and insubstantial could be exactly what someone is looking for.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I think online friends are “real” even if it isn't in person. I like and care deeply for my friends online and feel I can open up to them. They mean everything to me. However it is funny how easy you can lose contact with online friends, how easy people can delete each other. Go from saying you’re my best friend, I love you, to deleting them. I know in the end that’s not a real friendship but one you thought it was. I think making and losing online friends is actually harder than real ones.
Lurker
0 likes
My first serious girlfriend, I met online. We talked for about five years before she came for a visit, and things clicked.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I completely agree - online friendships can be wonderful if you choose carefully and thankfully, I've chosen well.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree my Online friends are just as important as the ones i met face to face on a daily basis.
Lurker
0 likes
I have three online friends that I consider very close friends of mine. It's true we only know certain aspects of their life's, but sometimes it's easier to discuss certain things with others who don't really know you because they typically aren't going to judge you and will just offer an ear to listen. I'm very appreciative for the friendships that I have on and offline.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, my online friends here are very important to me.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
In truth, how well do you really know anyone? The fact that you have friends online is not really a factor in the friendship itself. The proving, over and over again, that they're there for you through trivial things and major ones is what counts.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I very much enjoy my online friends. Its great to develop a relationship with people who live a long way from yourself, in other countries and with cultural differences.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I have made some wonderful friends online. A few people I have been speaking to for over a year.

Sometimes these friendships can be very fragile. You can read alot into the words. It may sound different then how they meant it.

I love my online friends. I have a few that are very special to me.
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, I am developing friends here that I care about and like. We would probably never have crossed paths in offline life for a variety of reasons but I like them. I get it. I don't chat with many people though, some people can have 15 black boxes open but I can only concentrate on one or two people so it has limited my contact with some people I would love to talk to. I think the internet has saved people from loneliness, maybe helps people open up more than you would offline and can be an outlet. There are pitfalls but the positive experiences make it worth it.
Lurker
0 likes
Internet; RL, life's a crap shoot. Good people and bad can be found anywhere at any time. Sometimes your luck and judgment are good and other times they suck. All I Can say in either is... GOOD LUCK!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BelleduJour
I completely agree - online friendships can be wonderful if you choose carefully and thankfully, I've chosen well.

I don't know whether you actually choose, I think it just develops.
Friendship is really a mental connection and that can easily happen online. Physicality often can reaffirm friendship, say with a hug, but that doesn't make it any more real.
Lurker
0 likes
Maybe if people got out into REALITY aka the REAL World. they would be able to make friends and be more productive rather than hiding behind a computrr screen ....
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
"Maybe if people got out into REALITY aka the REAL World. they would be able to make friends and be more productive rather than hiding behind a computrr screen ...." he wrote, wriggling his fingers across the plastic keys in a dance of confidence. He reclined and stared at his computer screen. Yes, it was a hard task, this business of self-observation, but he was man enough to rise to it.

People I have met through the internet have made me the happiest I have ever been, and also the saddest. You think you know somebody, and then you meet them. It can be destructive, or the most wonderful thing in the world.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Story Verifier
0 likes
I have several on-line friends. One is very close and the others I hold close but not as close.

THEY ARE ALL MY FRIENDS!

Friends come in many flavors. All start with trust and then get better. Some we fall in total love with and marry and spend a life with.

I love all my friends but each at a different level or in a different way. Some are like kids some are like brothers and sisters, one has been my wife for 43 years.

All friendships include love at some level.
I am always a gentleman.
Lurker
0 likes
I totally agree. Friendship can be as real here than anywhere else.
Lurker
0 likes
Online friendship is as real as the sky! I have some cool online friends on Lush. Hell, I have an online friend that I met over Youtube and we've been friends for five years now.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have made some great on-line friends. Not real??? Maybe to them..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to agree, friendships developed online can grow to be just as fulfilling as the ones in real life. They definitely have their advantages and disadvantages, and I've seen both.

I had an 11 month friendship with someone here long ago. We chatted for multiple hours pretty much every single day. Then she disappeared, and eventually I figured out that she wasn't who she claimed to be. Knowing that makes it hard to trust someone from online again when it's a strictly online thing.

The person who is probably my best friend right now I also met online. One of the benefits of online friendships is that it doesn't matter where you move, that friend is always with you. I've moved around a lot in the last 6 years chasing my career goals, so it's been hard to maintain friendships in the real world. But for the last 4 years, this friend has always been just an email or a text away.

The few people I've had the pleasure of knowing both online and in real life were the same, which has helped shape my view that the internet is a communication device, not an alternate reality. So if you truly get to know the person online, it's no different than if you got to know them on the phone, or even via letter as people used to with "pen-pals."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
some of my best friends are here