Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

1st Course of a 10 Course Degaustation Menu, this happens...

last reply
37 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Weevil Issues...

24 votes remaining
Complain, continue the meal (11 votes) 46%
Complain, discontinue the meal (21 votes) 88%
Don't complain, say nothing (1 vote) 4%
Don't complain, go the foodie sites and slag 'em (1 vote) 4%
Matriarch
0 likes
Special occasion meal, you're at the table, and you realise in the first dish, pumpkin and ginger soup, there's a weevil.

What would you do?

Poll attached.

Not good...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'd complain but more than likely continue the meal, but I'd be on high alert to see if I could see anything else crawling in my food. Something like that shouldn't happen but unfortunately, sometimes it does.
Matriarch
0 likes
For those who don't know what a weevil is, it's like a small maggot, in Australia, anyway.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Say something. If you don't say anything they'll never know there's a problem.
If they (the restaurant) doesn't do anything about the problem... then slag 'em.
I'm on the fence about continuing the meal. I suppose it would depend on the cleanliness of the place.
Bugs happen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lots of beasties live in flour - weevils, mites, moths - it probably got into the food that way.

Finding one in your food isn't necessarily a measure of bad food hygiene on the restaurant's part - it could have been in a packet of flour opened that day. I'd put it down to bad luck on everyone's part.

I'd draw their attention to it, but continue the meal.

Not sure if it's true or not, but I have heard that use by dates on flour are there just so the beasties don't get big enough to be easily noticeable.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
definitely complain
Im not paying extra for wiggley things in my soup!
The reaction of the staff would decide whether or not I continue the meal
Clever Gem
0 likes
I was just eating soup as i stumbled upon this thread...Lunch over.
If just reading it put me off my lunch, there's no way I could continue the meal.
Not that I'd think there are further beasties, it would just put me off eating anything at the time.
Lurker
0 likes
It depends on whether the lunch is at a Restaurant or at someone's home. If it's a restaurant I would complain and discontinue the meal. If it's at a friend or relative's home, I would not complain and discontinue the meal. I haven't voted yet, is the vote based on a restaurant or someone's home?
Classified
0 likes
Just lost my appetite and would want to leave.
Would look to have an inducement by way of apology.
Depending on the staff and the reaction maybe try another day.
In the meantime go and eat at the best place!
Have a play and then grab a takeaway.
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Complain, consider canceling. It would depend on how others felt and how the restaurant dealt with it as well as how it looked.

If I did keep eating I would be on the lookout.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Complain and stick to a liquid diet of vodka sodas or wine for the duration of the meal. Blecchhh... I wouldn't be able to continue. I'm really picky about food as it is and that would just turn my stomach.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would quietly complain and not finish the meal. And depending on how they handled the complaint would determine what I did next. If they were sincerely apologetic, i would just let it slide but probably wouldnt return to the restaurant again.

I know things happen and ALL restaurants probably have little crawly things (and worse) in their kitchens. But when I see it first hand it would be hard for me to ever trust them again.
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
I would quietly complain and not finish the meal. And depending on how they handled the complaint would determine what I did next. If they were sincerely apologetic, i would just let it slide but probably wouldnt return to the restaurant again.

I know things happen and ALL restaurants probably have little crawly things (and worse) in their kitchens. But when I see it first hand it would be hard for me to ever trust them again.

I'll just quote Nikki. Likely how I'd handle it. Of course, if I was a little low on protein that day anyhow...
Lurker
0 likes
Sounds like cross contamination in the prepping of the meals .... a usual in a busy kitchen, even in the best of restaurants it happens. Most restaurants, those who care about their ratings/reputation usually compensate with style when such occurs after all they want to keep their customers of a return. Though such would turn me off in wanting to finish at that time, a return visit perhaps if the found issue is/was handled correctly.
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

I think this would be me as well. I would be too queasy to finish.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i'd say something. i mean, for one, if there's a weevil in my soup, they should probably be aware that there might be weevils in other people's soup. that's the first step. the second step is, regardless of anything, it's going to put me off the dinner. i'm going to be hyper aware of everything i eat and i'm not going to enjoy it. this is the point where i very politely (remember, your waitress is NOT responsible for weevils in the soup!) request to see the manager, explain things to him in an adult manner, no need to get into hysterics over it, that won't solve anything, explain that my special occasion has been ruined, and see what they are willing to do to salvage it. obviously,i will not be paying for the night's meal.

what i will expect is to be treated to a free make up meal in the future. oh, i'll expect to pay for wine or alcoholic beverages, and leave a tip, but the food will be on the house. barring this, i will never set foot inside the restaurant again. period. i won't make a scene, but yes, they'll know where they stand. it's a regrettable occurance, and i've been on the other side of it - what you need to do, is everything in your power to make sure that customer walks away feeling that you are truly sorry and that you care enough about their business to do whatever you can to keep them as customers and make it right. don't forget, word of mouth can be powerful - you never know who they might know or what kind of influence they might have. smile

ps - if it was my restaurant, i'd go one beyond that - i'd do a special meal, pay for all the drinks, go overboard to give them something more memorable than that damn weevil, and put my very best waitress on their table with no other tables to work so that get perfect service, and close off one section of the restaurant that night so they'd have it to themselves? would i lose money that night? yep. a reputation in the restaurant business is worth more than money. it will make or break you. you do all that, they will talk about you favorably to their friends, on face book, at work, whatever. as i said, word of mouth is very powerful.

- an ex-waitress. :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
A maggot would be so sick... How I would react would be totally up to my company though. A ten course meal isn't an everyday thing. If I was just with a girl or a family member I would probably ask if they wanted to stay or leave. I would point it out to the waiter and more than likely the meal would be free at a place like this. If I was by myself I would be as gracious as possible and leave, a maggot is just too sick.

If this was some big business meeting type thing though... I would drown the little fucker in sauce and skip that course and pray no one asks "hey you eating that, mind if I do, it was so good, shame to waste it..." Then I would carefully examine all my food after that and proceed with caution.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
A maggot would be so sick... How I would react would be totally up to my company though. A ten course meal isn't an everyday thing. If I was just with a girl or a family member I would probably ask if they wanted to stay or leave. I would point it out to the waiter and more than likely the meal would be free at a place like this. If I was by myself I would be as gracious as possible and leave, a maggot is just too sick.

If this was some big business meeting type thing though... I would drown the little fucker in sauce and skip that course and pray no one asks "hey you eating that, mind if I do, it was so good, shame to waste it..." Then I would carefully examine all my food after that and proceed with caution.

If it was a business dinner, that would change things a little. I think I would privately tell my boss or whoever organized the dinner and let him/her decide how to proceed but I still do not think I would eat anything else if possible
Lurker
0 likes
I would be PISSED! OMG! Seriously folks, ONLY ONE? You need at least 100 of the damn things to make it worth while. sheesh.....

Really though...... I am more inclined to be like Freakycactus. I am a country boy and rankly, sometimes you get less than ideal food. But I can assure you that I would expect a sincere apology and part of my bill removed.

Quote by freakycactus
I'd complain but more than likely continue the meal, but I'd be on high alert to see if I could see anything else crawling in my food. Something like that shouldn't happen but unfortunately, sometimes it does.
Matriarch
0 likes
Well, it was a Groupon special, the price was supposedly $200+ prior to the discount, which made it less than $40 per head.

Weevils don't eat pumpkins, so I knew it must have been a drop-in of some sort. If it were in the cup to begin with, it wouldn't have been floating on the top.

I know these things happen, I've bought oats / rice / flour / cereal before, which have been kept sealed, and seen those horrible skinny little things.

We carried on the meal after I'd complained. I was totally put off the rest, and although it was really good food, I couldn't enjoy it as hoped.

The owner said to me, "these things happen" and wasn't very apologetic.

NO TIP FOR YOU!

He's going to end up on eatability.com.,au, for all the wrong reasons...
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Well, it was a Groupon special, the price was supposedly $200+ prior to the discount, which made it less than $40 per head.

Weevils don't eat pumpkins, so I knew it must have been a drop-in of some sort. If it were in the cup to begin with, it wouldn't have been floating on the top.

I know these things happen, I've bought oats / rice / flour / cereal before, which have been kept sealed, and seen those horrible skinny little things.

We carried on the meal after I'd complained. I was totally put off the rest, and although it was really good food, I couldn't enjoy it as hoped.

NO TIP FOR YOU!

"these things happen" was an unacceptable response. i say you totally badmouth them online or anywhere else you can think of, for it. also, i'd suggest writing an email, if it was a chain, the the company.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

NO TIP FOR YOU!

Oh heck no. I don't care if "these things happen" (and they do), that is for ME to think and say..... the owner should ALWAYS be OVERLY apologetic and offer ways of compensation.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

NO TIP FOR YOU!

I'm a waitress and there are times people complain about stupid things, I still apologise, promise to inform the chef, and if necessary, I inform the manager to ensure their issue is dealt with. The idea that you had an insect in your food and their response was, 'these things happen', is disgusting.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I'd probably retch, vurp and vomit all over the floor. Think that would let them know how I felt about the incident?

I'd get up, leave and run to grocer then home to prepare my own meal.

I wouldn't slag 'em online...but I would tell all my associates about my experience and then I'd never go near their joint again.

Screw that noise.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Complain and stick to a liquid diet of vodka sodas or wine for the duration of the meal. Blecchhh... I wouldn't be able to continue. I'm really picky about food as it is and that would just turn my stomach.
Get a bottle of tequila with the worm in it. Might as well get tanked while at the same time get acustomed to eating bugs. Then you won't mind eating bugs so much and it's all good.

Scenario 2) Get tanked, beligerent and yell " can someone explain to me why there's a bug in my soup? Do i look like a fucking Hedgehog to you"?

Myself? I would just probably fish it out and bury it in a napkin. I've eaten a few eaten a few bugs in my lifetime, not on purpose though. The only time restaurants are tiptop is when the health board comes around for inspection.

*Edit - Now if there was a hair in my food i'd be a lot more inclined to bring it to someone's attention. That sort of thing just reeks of carelessness.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Well, it was a Groupon special

That should've been your first hint right there. Just saying.

I've worked in many restaurants over the years and even owned one. I always knew when a place was starting to go downhill when they started advertising '2 for 1 specials' and 'early bird' dinners.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
but I would tell all my associates about my experience

You ain't got no associates, fool.
Lurker
0 likes
I'd complain, maggots are gross. I would be really uncomfortable to eat the next course of meals as well.

Once I bought a sack of potatoes from a small little corner store, didn't have time to go to the grocery and there were maggots all over it, the most horrid thing I've ever seen!
I went back to tell them and they apologized and offered to give me another one, I was like "NO". Then some time later the store ended up getting shut down. I'm glad they did,
just gross.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

That should've been your first hint right there. Just saying.

You're right, anyone using loss leaders as a sales technique, has usually fallen on hard times. I should have known better. BUT, 10 course degaustation menu....how could that go wrong? (in 10 ways plus a bug)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

If the owner would have said that to me I would have walked into the dining room, stood up on a chair and said

" Excuse me, Forgive me for interupting your dinner but I found a bug in my soup, and when I politely brought it to the attention of the reataurant owner, he said these things happen and shrugged it off as it was no big deal. Now is this the type of place you want to eat"

And then I would have left without paying!! And if the owner said anything to me I would have replied, "these things happen!"