Movie first - Book Second

last reply
37 replies
3.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
In the eighties I remember watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. A great movie in my opinion.
A few years ago I got round to reading the book, I was much more impressed by the book.

Are there any movies that you have loved which led you to read the book and you thought the book better, or it improved your understanding of the film.

Another good example is the Movie 1408 and the book by Stephen King.

Are there any other examples?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Most of the time the book is better than the movie. It is much easier to go into detail in a 200 or 300 page book than in a 2hr movie.

About the only movie I can think of that was far better than the book is Jaws.
Clumeleon
0 likes
I read The Lord of the Rings after having seen the first film. Being 11, I found the book rather difficult to get through but I absolutely loved it and I think it heightened my enjoyment of the remaining two films (the whole trilogy was excellent on screen). I think knowing SO many details from the book helps you understand some of the things going on in the film which are perhaps not laid out there so explicitly.

I think in most other cases I've either read the book first (or exclusively) or only seen the film. I regret having watched any of the Harry Potter movies before having read the entire series because, as subsequent instalments were released, I automatically imagined the characters in the books as the actors who portrayed them and I felt that was quite restricting on my imagination.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by clum
I read The Lord of the Rings after having seen the first film. Being 11, I found the book rather difficult to get through but I absolutely loved it and I think it heightened my enjoyment of the remaining two films (the whole trilogy was excellent on screen). I think knowing SO many details from the book helps you understand some of the things going on in the film which are perhaps not laid out there so explicitly.

I think in most other cases I've either read the book first (or exclusively) or only seen the film. I regret having watched any of the Harry Potter movies before having read the entire series because, as subsequent instalments were released, I automatically imagined the characters in the books as the actors who portrayed them and I felt that was quite restricting on my imagination.

I liked the movies. I thought they were fun and held my attention. I don't think they are these masterpieces like everyone says. But good. I tried reading the books and couldn't get more than a chapter in. I felt it was totally awful. Maybe it's a style of writing I just don't get.

After watching Cloud Atlas which I thought was pretty great I am reading the book. So far it is really good too. Masterful even.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Movie first, for me. If the book was awesome then the movie sucks it it worse.
Lurker
0 likes
Some good choices there. I agree books tend to be better than movies. There are some exceptions of course. The Green Mile springs to mind, a great book and perhaps a better movie.

Seeing the characters can sometimes affect imagination, HP is a good example.

Regarding Cloud Atlas, after seeing the trailer and reading a review I am looking forward to seeing and reading the film and book.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Jaynesmith42
Movie first, for me. If the book was awesome then the movie sucks it it worse.

Do you have any examples?
Head Nurse
0 likes
The last of the Mohicans.

The book, while very good, was overly wordy and difficult to follow at times.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I took my little cousins to watch The Hunger Games a while back. I heard about the book way before the movie release and it didn't really interest me much. 24 kids fighting in an arena, um no thanks? So anyway, I took my cousins to watch the movie and I actually enjoyed it, it's now one of my favourite movies. I did end up buying the book after and it's much better than the movie! It also rubbed out little confusions I had about the movie smile

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I remember watching Interview with the Vampire when I was about 11 or something, at about 16 I bought the book and I absolutely loved it smile Same goes for the Milennium Triology and the Hannibal series, the movies are good but the books are nothing short of amazing.
Lurker
0 likes
I saw Fightclub before I read it, the movie had a better ending to wrap up the story imo, chuck palahniuk (the author) even said he felt the movie was an improvement over his book.

I like them both equally
The Linebacker
0 likes
So far I've never seen a movie that quite lived up to the depth of quality that the book did.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Kitanica
I saw Fightclub before I read it, the movie had a better ending to wrap up the story imo, chuck palahniuk (the author) even said he felt the movie was an improvement over his book.

I like them both equally

Totally agree. The book is alright but the movie really did elevate the material.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
So far I've never seen a movie that quite lived up to the depth of quality that the book did.

It's rare because of a movies format, it's hard to portray a 400-600+ page book (Harry potter) in a 2-3 hour movie. Your more likely to get it better with a shorter book under 300 pages, that way your not leaving much (if anything) out. Although it really depends on the director and scriptwriter who change the material. Fightclub reads front to back almost identical to the movie minus a few tweaks here and there. Finches pretty much nails it, and doesn't leave as open an ending as chuck. I haven't read a scanner darkly but I intend to soon and one bit I did read went right along with the movie scene and it comes in at 220 pages, longer books don't transition as well.

I'd like to see Fahrenheit 451 become a movie
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kitanica

I'd like to see Fahrenheit 451 become a movie

Fahrenheit 451 was released as a movie in 1966. It was directed by François Truffaut and starred Julie Christie. It’s pretty good, but I can’t compare it to the book as I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t read it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by orangefox444

Do you have any examples?

I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ( American version) which I enjoyed, then read the book. The book was awesome. Then read the sequel, The Girl That Played with Fire. Again, awesome book. I watched the European movie and was disappointed.... so many pieces missing. I've yet to see or read the last episode. But I think I'll just read this one.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I've seen a bunch of movies and read the books; I try to read the books first. They’re usually better. Any Stephan King movie/book to start, Harry Potter’s movies/books are great examples.

My mum has always been a big reader, and I got into reading because of her passion. However, I love my movies too. She always told me read the book first, watch the movie after. So, I do. Of course sometimes I’ll see a movie and find out later there is a book and read it. Then I’ll be like OH! Right that makes sense now.

I've never personally seen a movie that is better than the books. I do however think watching and reading them both can help you understand the whole concept of both.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Wildcat

I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ( American version) which I enjoyed, then read the book. The book was awesome. Then read the sequel, The Girl That Played with Fire. Again, awesome book. I watched the European movie and was disappointed.... so many pieces missing. I've yet to see or read the last episode. But I think I'll just read this one.

The Millennium trilogy was originally adapted for Swedish TV. When the books became successful around the world, the three TV adaptations were edited for worldwide cinema release. If you haven’t seen them, I’d recommend seeking out the original full-length television versions. Each one is something like 30-60 minutes longer than the more commonly seen ‘movies’. Of course, they still aren’t as good as the books!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Like you, I read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest a long time after seeing the film. I enjoy them both on their own merits. I read Catch 22 straight after and decided I needed to stop reading books about people going insane. I'd seen the film version of Catch 22 before reading the book and while the film is a brave attempt at getting Heller's book right, it's impossible to get it all on there. (Catch 22 is my favourite book)

I think it's much different when you come at a book after you've seen the film - you're always going to have to readjust to the difference in how you imagined it. If you've seen the film before you read the book I find there are always reference points for your imagination to fall back on. I've not read any Jack Reacher books, but I know people who have really struggled with the idea of Tom Cruise in the lead role.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Varrick

Fahrenheit 451 was released as a movie in 1966. It was directed by François Truffaut and starred Julie Christie. It’s pretty good, but I can’t compare it to the book as I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t read it.

Yeah lol, I meant from this century, I haven't seen the 60s take, it flopped when it came out, I wouldn't know though, I'm the opposite I only read the book.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Wildcat

Yes the books are far superior to the films, both movies were a tad disappointing, US and Swedish versions.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Like you, I read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest a long time after seeing the film. I enjoy them both on their own merits. I read Catch 22 straight after and decided I needed to stop reading books about people going insane. I'd seen the film version of Catch 22 before reading the book and while the film is a brave attempt at getting Heller's book right, it's impossible to get it all on there. (Catch 22 is my favourite book)

I think it's much different when you come at a book after you've seen the film - you're always going to have to readjust to the difference in how you imagined it. If you've seen the film before you read the book I find there are always reference points for your imagination to fall back on. I've not read any Jack Reacher books, but I know people who have really struggled with the idea of Tom Cruise in the lead role.

It took me three or four attempts to get past the first few chapters, after I did I thoroughly enjoyed Catch 22. I've seen the moviue three or four times and still find something new.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
I've seen a bunch of movies and read the books; I try to read the books first. They’re usually better. Any Stephan King movie/book to start, Harry Potter’s movies/books are great examples.

My mum has always been a big reader, and I got into reading because of her passion. However, I love my movies too. She always told me read the book first, watch the movie after. So, I do. Of course sometimes I’ll see a movie and find out later there is a book and read it. Then I’ll be like OH! Right that makes sense now.

I've never personally seen a movie that is better than the books. I do however think watching and reading them both can help you understand the whole concept of both.

I couldn't agree more Poppet
Lurker
0 likes
I haven't seen or read the other combinations of books and movies so I haven't much to say about those save they are on my reading aand viewing lists.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i never have seen a movie that is better than the book, for me the whole thing of watching the characters as someone else of how i have imagine them already makes it dissapointing. I create an image in my head and when i watch it in a movie its never the same.

That said i always watch the movies of books i really like, just out of curiosity of how they do it.

The only movie that i have seen that i would say its not better than the book but really close was "Love in the time of Cholera" wich is one of my favorite books.
Lurker
0 likes
I have always found that the way things play out in my head whilst reading a book are never how they are portrayed in the movie.

However, as for watching a film and then reading the book, I cant say I have done so to better understand the storyline, as far as just wanting to read the book after seeing the film, I find I just cant get into it because I know how it ends (if the movie is a truely based on the book).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have found that, especially with science fiction, the movie is never as good as the book. Your own imagination creates better scenes than a movie ever could.
Matriarch
0 likes
Trainspotting.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

It's very hard to successfully replicate a book, as a "better" movie.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Trainspotting.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

It's very hard to successfully replicate a book, as a "better" movie.

fear and loathing was an amazing movie, i was actually pleased with what Gilliam did with it. that said, the book has been on my top 5 list since i read it when i was *mumbles a number*. nothing could ever transcend it, no matter how good. it's Thompson at his craziest and his best.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I thought the movie Eragon was better than the book. The book had long stretches of traveling across the region with what seemed like little significance to the story.