Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Help...I've been arrested by the grammar police Options · View
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:37:28 AM

paul_moadib wrote:

I'm guilty as charged! Only a custodial sentence will do.
I just wanted the policeman....Yeah Baby!!!
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:39:09 AM

I meant policewoman! Talk about Eeeeewwww!!
Jack_42
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:52:18 AM

SpankMeFlushMe wrote:

I think we Americans use a somewhat bastardised form of English. What I call speaking American. I've been known to correct someones spelling in other forums. I'm no rocket scientist but I can spell pretty well.3some

Americans use a more archaic form of English. This is because of the isolation of the two countries some words such as 'mad' retained their Elizabethan meaning whilst the UK meaning has changed. So although Americans use a lot of new expressions (which I personally really like such as ''that's all she wrote'') their basic language is more old fashioned.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:00:14 AM

Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:25:53 AM

One of the reasons I enjoy this site is that it is a learning experience. I have heard high school and college students say "Me and Joe are, you know, going to....." The one class I really hated in school was English, yet it is one class we ALL need. It is hard to believe that grammer isn't pursued in school. But no matter how hard you check with your own eyes and also use spell check on the computer, grammer and spellling mistakes happen and are missed by the writer. Here, we are very lucky to have people who read the submitted story and like any good teacher, show us our mistakes so that we both learn from those mistakes and correct them before publishing. In addition, if you need an editor one will be recommended by the site.

English is a forever changing language. You will notice that many languages don't add words as fast as English speaking people do. Instead they incoroprate our word into their language thereby keeping their language "pure". English has many slang words that in time become legit and are added to the dictionary or a word has added meanings.

I have English friends and I do wish they would learn how to speak American so I can understand them. They say the same about me. "Why don't you learn the Queen's English?"
sprite
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:31:53 AM

overmykneenow wrote:
The only time I've been irked by a verifiers edit was when one of them changed the proper spelling of "traveling" to the US corruption that is "traveling".

I'm more than aware that this is my problem, not theirs.

there, i fixed that for you *giggles and runs*

Love not hate.
Jack_42
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:33:17 AM

ScottFord wrote:
One of the reasons I enjoy this site is that it is a learning experience. I have heard high school and college students say "Me and Joe are, you know, going to....." The one class I really hated in school was English, yet it is one class we ALL need. It is hard to believe that grammer isn't pursued in school. But no matter how hard you check with your own eyes and also use spell check on the computer, grammer and spellling mistakes happen and are missed by the writer. Here, we are very lucky to have people who read the submitted story and like any good teacher, show us our mistakes so that we both learn from those mistakes and correct them before publishing. In addition, if you need an editor one will be recommended by the site.

English is a forever changing language. You will notice that many languages don't add words as fast as English speaking people do. Instead they incoroprate our word into their language thereby keeping their language "pure". English has many slang words that in time become legit and are added to the dictionary or a word has added meanings.

I have English friends and I do wish they would learn how to speak American so I can understand them. They say the same about me. "Why don't you learn the Queen's English?"

I don't find anything incorrect in ''me and Joe'' or ''Joe and me'' If you think it should be ''Joe and I'' then you should test it by trying to say the ''I'' first if it works then it is ok. However ''I and Joe'' sounds wrong to me. (I could be wrong on this and will stand corrected if so).
overmykneenow
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:01:41 PM

sprite wrote:

there, i fixed that for you *giggles and runs*

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber