Musical Taste?

last reply
23 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't understand what the big issue is... Once I had a girl leave me because of the fact that I love screamo music. I don't understand. I don't care about what my lover listens to—if they like it, they like it. Why is it such a big deal to some people?
The Linebacker
0 likes
Maybe she had a headache.
0 likes
I don't think it's a big deal if you and your lover have different musical tastes, but it is then incumbent on you not to inflict those tastes on each other. That's where the tension is going to come in. I like a lot of music that my partner does not due to my broad taste in music. I listen to my music in the car, at work, or using headphones if at home.

Of course, there are always going to be some people who absolutely hate some kind of music or other and thinks anyone who listens to it is batshit crazy. I'm kind of like that about boy bands, though I'm not sure I'd leave someone for listening to them (see my first paragraph, though). Perhaps your lover felt that way about screamo (whatever that is)?
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
That's pretty extreme. Breaking up over music? Sounds immature. How old is she?

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Kitsune
I don't understand what the big issue is... Once I had a girl leave me because of the fact that I love screamo music. I don't understand. I don't care about what my lover listens to—if they like it, they like it. Why is it such a big deal to some people?

is screamo a combination of scream and emo?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by slipperywhenwet2012
That's pretty extreme. Breaking up over music? Sounds immature. How old is she?

When you listen to "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" butchered for 7 years by their incompetent guitar playing and singing, and then you're inflicted with them singing along with the radio version, you'll understand.

It was either a knife to my eardrum or he had to go before I went psychotic and hung him up by the balls with his guitar strings. (I won't mention where I'd put his guitar pick cause even I find it offensive, but I'd still do it if I had to tolerate it for another week!)

On the other hand, that might just be an excuse to let them out of the relationship. They hated your music plus a few other things but were nice enough to go the shallow route and just say it was your musical taste instead of your extra toe or vestigial tail.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
For some people it's a self image meaning they believe that your intersts defines who you are as a person.ozG8QBEFdzQ5D0fS but to me it's no big deal
Detention Seeker
0 likes
Not even sure what scremo music is and me a d.j too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
could be you enjoying something she hates. Could be a bad memory for her. she could be very closed minded about trying new music. She could be a control freak. So many different reasons
Lurker
0 likes
Or there were other reasons as well, and the music was just the excuse. In most cases this is what happens. Same as when people argue or fight over what seems like a silly issue, the real problem isn't that "topic". I would bet the music was not the real reason at all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Something I've never understood is how some people get jealous of your relationship with something (rather than another person). Many fellow guitar players say their girlfriends express that they love their guitars more than the girlfriend whereas to me they are totally different things - I was lucky I was married to another guitar vocalist so she never said that even when I did gigs without her. I am not referring to any opportunity to meet other women just the instrument itself. By doing this they stand a good chance of ruining the relationship not because we like guitars more than partners but something we feel deeply about shouldn't be tampered with and to do so displays a lack of sensitivity and selfishness thus making the partner less attractive accordingly.
0 likes
Quote by kylie_kained
Not even sure what scremo music is and me a d.j too.

Did some research and the only band I knew that was listed as falling into the category is Alexisonfire (which is largely defunct as one of the founders now performs as City and Colour). Still not clear on what defines the genre though.

Mendalla
Lurker
0 likes
Depends how much you listened to it
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by urbancoyote
Depends how much you listened to it

Exactly!

I cannot do country* music. Sorry, just can't. If we're on a road trip and he insists on country music? One of us is gonna be left on the side of the road.

If he listens to the occasional country song, that's fine I can leave the room. If he always has country blaring??? Then it will be time for me to wipe away my tears, pull on my Daisy Dukes, pack up my pickup truck, grab my dog, and head on out of there.

(*Johnny Cash excluded from above tirade)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm told the loudest scream in rock history is Roger Daltry at the end of the lead break in Won't Get Fooled Again dunno if that counts but it's great!!!! The Pick of Doom illustrated this to perfection.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it would annoy the shit out of me if my partner had music on that I hated all of the time. Generally though I like a massive variety of music so the would be a difficult ish accomplishment.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

On the other hand, that might just be an excuse to let them out of the relationship. They hated your music plus a few other things but were nice enough to go the shallow route and just say it was your musical taste instead of your extra toe or vestigial tail.

I will have you know that all of my girlfriends found my vestigial tail to be adorable. One girlfriend even named my tail "Mr. Knubby".

I will admit that having a vestigial tail makes playing poker a bitch. Every time I get a good hand my tail starts to wag.

Back to the subject of this thread. Sometimes stupid people do stupid things.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kitsune

Did you have it constantly playing while you two were together? What levels did you play it at? Maybe there were other reasons and she didn't feel like listing them all.

I could see how that could drive someone crazy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A friend of mine split with a girl (going back 20+ years) because she liked bands like The Cure and Sisters of Mercy etc. She had a mildly goth style to her.

He seemed to have some hang-up about all that.

Anyway, some years later, his music taste changed and he found he really liked The Cure. So it shows how dumb it was for him to see the music as an issue between them.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Oooh - screamo is a tough one to warm up to if you're not into it.

Having said that - if you don't share similar music interests it's not a deal breaker - that's what separate iPods are for.

If music is a major part of your weekend activities though - like going to specific clubs every Thurs-Sat that only feature one kind of music, I can see how it could factor into not having enough in common to make it work if neither is willing to compromise. Plus in some cases music is more a culture and has deeper influences than just something you listen to. Like if one person wants to spend every weekend rolling on X and partying at electronica/house music clubs or raves and the other person hates that music and doesn't touch drugs so they don't want to be partying until the sun comes up, you can see how this couple is going to have issues - just as far as their social scenes meshing enough to have fun together. Or if she spends the weekend at your place and you tend to have screamo on at full decibel constantly - that could be annoying too if she hates it. Compromise is key.

Beyond that though - yeah, I agree with other posters that it's probably just an excuse when it's really something else that's at the root of why she wants to break up.
Lurker
0 likes
Personally I think that is age thing. At 18, music is something that defines you, something you relay on. Teens usually identify themselves with the music they listen, so wondering why she left you only because of the music is not really truth. She left you because you are who you are, or you want to be by listening particular music genre.
My suggestion to you is to find a girl with the same taste in music, and this easy is going to be only a year or two..than you will grow up and finding your mate wont depend only on music taste..but I dont want to scare you with that, enjoy your youth
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by one_winged_angel

Did you have it constantly playing while you two were together? What levels did you play it at? Maybe there were other reasons and she didn't feel like listing them all.

I could see how that could drive someone crazy.

buahahahahah!!!! For f... sake I didn't read other comments, and I was missing out! Thaks for the best laugh I had in a week, owa!! ahahahahah
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Nobody should ever break up with someone because of what music they like, that's pretty rude. You shouldn't have to conform to the other persons musical taste to keep them happy, imagine how boring and dull it would be if everyone listened to the same music!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm kind of on the fence about this. On one hand I think it's pretty shitty to break up with someone because of their musical tastes (maybe there were other reasons she didn't want to tell you about?), but on the other hand I'd feel pretty annoyed if my partner constantly listened to a genre I hated at obnoxious levels.

For example, if I was with a guy (or girl) who constantly listened to rap I'd probably feel like stabbing myself in the ears after a while. Perhaps, for your ex, music incompatibility/that particular genre was a pet-peeve she simply couldn't bring herself to tolerate. It's kind of weird, but it is what it is, I guess. Even I have certain break-up worthy peeves that some people would probably look at me askance for.

Anyways! If she broke up with you for such a stupid reason then you guys probably wouldn't have lasted that long anyway, no offense. I wouldn't mourn the loss of that relationship too much as it's obvious she wasn't as invested in it as you might have been.