Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Book Recommendations (interested in other guy's opinions on this)

last reply
11 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have posted this on other sites before but never have posted it to get just an opinion from guys.

I read a lot when I am not reading here on Lush.

I have several series that I read including the adult western series, Longarm, Spur, etc.

But I love reading novels as well, but I'm not a romance novel type person or into sappy books. And it seems often those are the recommendations I get.

I like some action, some intrigue, mystery, some sex, etc. thrown into my novels.

I have currently been reading all the novels of Scott Turow and I really like the way he writes and the things he puts into them. But I only have a few of his left to read.

Just was wondering what types of books you guys enjoy and some you might recommend to others to read.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Catch 22 Joseph Heller, Aunt's Aren't Gentlemen P.G. Wodehouse, Soul Music Terry Pratchett are all things I recommend you don't read though you could let me operate reverse psychology and do so.
Lurker
0 likes
I am like you. I do not like to read romance novels. I read action and sci-fi books. I would recommend that you read The Tale of Desperaux, the Maximum Ride series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Hunger Games trilogy. These are my suggestions because these are my favorite books. You don't have to try them if you don't want to. But they are good reads.
Lurker
0 likes
If you like a fantasy flavor but not into "DnD", you might want to check out the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series. It is about a man who has leprosy in "our world" (and because of it his life turned to crap) and keeps being drawn into a fantasy realm. It could be delusions, or it could be real.... the reader has to decide. But Thomas does NOT believe it. He thinks it is only a delusion and dreams, so you can imagine the things one might do in that situation. He does some pretty terrible things (which I can't mention because of the forum rules), but of course has to work through things and..... well.... needless to say it is not your typical "Fantasy" series.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Try Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series...
Head Nurse
0 likes
I would recommend the Dark Tower series also(give it a chance, the first book is not the best of the bunch!)

Try also the A Song of Ice and Fire, by George RR Martin.

I've really enjoyed the books by Robin Hobb also.

**Im not a guy, but I do read extensively**
Lurker
0 likes
Ok so if you want sci fi
The Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton, would be a great place to start.

Also just finished "Flashback" but can't remember the author (it was the most impressive book I've read in a while) sorry read alot.

Songs of fire and ice a recommended before are a great series.
A are the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind.

For humour on the dark side try Neil Gaimen, American Gods is briant from premise to end.

Also Chuck Pahlanuk, Dammed or Fight Club. Prefered Dammed to be hinest.

Oh also just read "Lady in the lake" by Raymond Chandler.
Let mr know if you need more suggestions. I could keep going.
Mazztastic
0 likes
I'm also not a guy, but I'd recommend the Dark Tower series... It's fantastic...

If you're looking for something thought provoking and clever, try Scarlett Thomas. The end of mr y is my favourite...

Also, I'd recommend Nicholson Baker, his stories are thoughtful, clever and funny as fuck!! Start with the Fermata (it's sexy too, but by no means romantic)
Lurker
0 likes
I'd recommend The Last Wish, Blood of Elves and Times of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski. They are part of The Witcher series and have plenty of sex, drugs, fantasy and intrigue in them. Or so I'm told, I've never read them myself, but I have it on very good authority that they are good books.

Personally, I'd recommend Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. It's got a romantic element to it, quite a bit of mystery and intrigue, but I don't agree with it's classification. I really don't think it should be classed as an erotica novel. It's more of a journey than a novel really.

Finally, if you like war type books, Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. It's about a soldier in the first world war. I'll not say too much because it's pretty easy to spoil the story, but if you've heard the song One by Metallica, you'll recognise the story because they based the song on the movie of the book. The book is better though. Very terrifying, especially how he goes from describing one extreme to the other. Also horrifying because of the lack of commas, but if you can handle that, then you're in for a treat.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
The Wheel of Time Series
Anything by Chris Wooding
Anything by Neil Gaiman

Patrick Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicles

Dave Duncan - classic sword and sorcery novels.

Brandon Sanderson: Anything he's written. Literally. Anything. Develops the best magic systems in the fantasy biz bar none.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Try Carol O'Connell's "Mallory" books, or Dennis Lehane's "Patrick Kenzie" books. Kathy Mallory is a NYC detective who is very different from every other cop. Quirky character, deep plots. Lehane's Kenzie is a little more rough and tumble, Boston Irish, tough crowd.

Raw, underground anti-hero crime drama? The Burke novels by Andrew Vachss

Historical Drama, and some of the best battle scenes, get Jack Wythe's "Camulod" series, or his "Archer" trilogy.

Fantasy: Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time series. And as already stated, George R. R. Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" on which the "Games of Thrones" is based.

Joe Abercrombie wrote a great Trilogy, the First Law Trilogy, if you're interested in Swords and Magic with a harder edge. I'm currently going through the Richard K Morgan library, his "Altered Carbon" stories are so different and yet strikingly reminiscent of his "Land Fit For Heroes" Trilogy