Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How many of these books have you read? Top 10 best selling books of all time.

last reply
30 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
Embarrassed to say I've dipped in to just 2...

Number 10
Valley of the Dolls - 30 million
Author: Jacqueline Susann
Not be confused with Russ Meyer's campy film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls , this novel, which was first published in 1966, was an instant hit. The plot centers around three women vying to make it in showbiz, who instead get plagued by sex, drugs and scandal. Pushing the boundaries of the '60s, it's undeniably a trashy melodrama but it is addictive and entertaining nonetheless.

Excerpt: "I don't need a woman on my arm every minute."

Number 9
In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do? - 30 million
Author: Rev. Charles Monroe Sheldon
Sheldon was an average American clergyman. However, it all changed when he published this tome in 1896, bringing him phenomenal fame and fortune. This discourse is about dilemmas and how we can use the Bible in everyday life, boiling Christianity down to its very essence. What Sheldon proposes is that we put ourselves in Jesus' shoes for every decision we make, that it's the only way to really exercise discipleship.

Excerpt: "I know that the hand of divine love in all this is leading me."

Number 8

A Message to Garcia - 40 million
Author: Elbert Hubbard
This 1899 short essay, clocking in at around 1,500 words, is about the real hero of the Cuban War. At its core, it is a dissertation on labor relations that still rings true today. It basically addresses workers and preaches initiative. It achieved these staggering sales figures mostly because companies would buy the book in bulk to distribute to their employees.

Excerpt: "My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the 'boss' is away, as well as when he is home."

Number 7

Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care - 50 million
Author: Dr. Benjamin Spock
No Vulcans or warp speed, but the same good sense though. In 1946, pediatrician Spock penned this classic on how to raise children. Not only was the book important in its own right, it was also somewhat controversial considering a man wrote about what was traditionally considered a woman's task. This is the source that generations of parents have relied on when dealing with newborns and toddlers. It covers a wide range of topics relating to childcare, from infancy to early education.

Excerpt: "The fact is that child rearing is a long, hard job, the rewards are not always immediately obvious, the work is often undervalued, and parents are just as human and almost as vulnerable as their children."

Number 6

The McGuffey Readers - 60 million
Author: William Holmes McGuffey
The numerous editions of this anthology of short stories for young readers were quite popular when first printed in 1836, though they were initially rather preachy. Not only were they a great learning tool but they also contained valuable moral lessons. During the 19th century, 80% of all American schoolchildren used them. Some sources claim that 120 million copies were sold but it is believed that these figures are bloated considering the U.S. population numbered around 10 million at the time.

Excerpt: "The first object of the intelligent teacher, is to awaken the attention of his pupil."

Number 5

The World Almanac and Book of Facts (2003) - 73.5 million
Author: World Almanac Books
The world saw the apparition of this work in 1868 and it's been published every year since, except for a hiatus between 1876 and 1886 when ownership was in limbo. A comprehensive reference manual encompassing information on just about every subject, from sports and economy to history and geography, the World Almanac is a favorite of many. In 1923, Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as U.S. President by his Justice father who read the oath from a copy of this book.

Excerpt: "At the site where the World Trade Center had stood, the task of removing 1.62 million tons of rubble while searching for human remains officially ended July 15, 2002."

Number 4

Guinness World Records (2003) - 94 million
Author: Various Before flooding the Web and network TV specials, world records have fascinated millions through the famous book in its yearly edition. First published in 1955, the book is a repository of world records of all sorts, from sports heroics and eccentric feats to freaky human deformities. It came to be when the big boss of the Guinness brewery wanted to know what the fastest game bird in Europe was; he figured a book containing such facts might prove lucrative. The fact that it contains lots of photographs deeply appeals to the human voyeuristic hunger.
Excerpt: "The world's longest kiss took place in New York City, lasting a Guinness World Record 30 hours, 59 minutes, and 27 seconds."

Number 3

The American Spelling Book - 100 million
Author: Noah Webster
It was in 1783 that this famous book was first published. It soon became the preferred English textbook in schools through 19th-century America. The Blue-Back Speller 's charm was that words were broken down into syllables, which made it easier for students to learn pronunciation. The book was often revised and reedited by its author.

Excerpt: "The design of this Grammatical institute is to furnish schools in this country with an easy, accurate and comprehensive system of rules and lessons for teaching the English language."

Number 2

Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung - 900 million
Author: Mao Tse-Tung
Most people are more familiar with the book under its nickname: The Little Red Book . First published in 1966, it sheds light on the Chinese dictator's views on life, economics, and politics. Fairly poetic in style, Mao's fervent beliefs of the Communist ideology shine through.

Excerpt: "We should support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports."

Number 1

The Holy Bible - 6 billion
Author: Various
Does it really surprise anyone? The Good Book, which is the foundation of Christianity, aside from Christ himself of course, was the first volume to be printed around 1450. Until then, the book had been hand-copied by patient monks and was only available to clerics and scholars. Gutenberg's new printing technique allowed missionaries to bring copies of the bible with them in their religious conversion quests. It has been printed in more than 2,000 languages and dialects so far.

Excerpt: "Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am amazed that so many were published a long, long time ago.

I've dipped into Dr Spock, The Guinness Book and of course The Bible.

Does that make me a "chickened-out dipper?)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Guinness book of records - used to read it avidly as a child.

Opened the bible when forced to at school. That's about it.
Lurker
0 likes
Wow...of them all, only the bible have I read at any length. I will admit to starting 'Valley of the Dolls' but my mother took it away and I got lectured about 'sinful' things. Youngest son of some very religious parents...oh well.
Lurker
0 likes
Bringing this post back to life!!!

Top 10 Non-fiction For This Week
How many have YOU read?

10 - THE NEW JIM CROW
by Michelle Alexander
A law professor takes aim at the “war on drugs” and its impact on black men.

9 - THINKING, FAST AND SLOW
by Daniel Kahneman
How we make choices in business and personal life.

8 - QUIET
by Susan Cain
Introverts — approximately one-third of the population — are undervalued in American society.

7 - A WORK IN PROGRESS
by Connor Franta
A young man charts his course from small-town kid to Internet sensation.
*This book is in my queue, and right up my alley.

6 - UNBROKEN
by Laura Hillenbrand
An Olympic runner’s story of survival as a prisoner of the Japanese during World War II after his plane went down over the Pacific.
*A must read book. This is an absolute page turner and a journey literally around the world. BUT the movie was a complete flop, literally no justice served.

5 - FINDING ME
by Michelle Knight with Michelle Burford
A young woman tells the story of her decade-long captivity in Cleveland.

4 - WILD
by Cheryl Strayed
A woman’s account of the life-changing 1,100-mile solo hike she took along the Pacific Crest Trail in 1995; now a movie.
*Have not read this book, but actually enjoyed the movie VERY much. Maybe the book will make my shelf.

3 - DAVID AND GOLIATH
by Malcolm Gladwell
How disadvantages can work in our favor; by the author of "The Tipping Point" and "Blink."
*A great read, I enjoyed it very much! It's a series of short inspirational tales, that are told fantastically.

2 - AMERICAN SNIPER
by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice
A memoir recounts the battlefield experiences in Iraq by the Navy SEALs sniper; now a movie.

1 - THE BOYS IN THE BOAT
by Daniel James Brown
A group of American rowers pursued gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games.

(I do have copies of Unbroken as well as David and Goliath that I would be more than happy to share)
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have read the Bible through twice and a lot of the Guinness Book of World Records. That's all from that list.
0 likes
Only two from nicola's list and only one from Jessica's

I do read two to three books a week

Really interesting lists..would love to see more!
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Dipped into about 6 on Nicola's list. None on Jessica's. Am evidently an old fogey.... ;)
0 likes
No no curvygalore lol six on the original how awesome cannot wait to read more on jessicas I think it is a classic list vs new literature..right old never!
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by thesexynun
No no curvygalore lol six on the original how awesome cannot wait to read more on jessicas I think it is a classic list vs new literature..right old never!

You are very kind!!! smile

And was thinking of posting a list of the books we have read in the past year in my Book Group in this thread just out of interest, once I get the chance to put that together, as its a fairly eclectic mix of modern fiction, light reading and classic books.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Three from the first list. I'd like to know who created the list.

Five from the second.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
I've not read any from either list.
Of both lists, I've only ever heard of the Holy Bible and the Guinness World Records.
Reading is not my forte...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
None from any of them. I'm a literature major so more Jane Austen..lol
" I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer"
Woody Allen
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm with insomniac on this one, except that I never even read the bible.

What's the premise of your question?

GW.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Six on Nicola's list.
Lurker
0 likes
For some reason I'm always wanting such lists to contain things that aren't required by schools (like a textbook solely written for school use) or religion (because what Christian doesn't have at least one bible - or 5?).
Candyman
0 likes
1 through 7 on Nic's list. Never touched 8, 9, or 10. Never heard of #8. None on the second list, though I have thought about four of them.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Lurker
0 likes
I haven't read any! Flicked through the Bible but never READ it.
Lurker
0 likes
Oh dear, I have only read the Bible from Nicola's list, although I do have several different translations and many Commentaries, and none at all from Jessica's list — despite the fact that I own about 4,000 books. Perhaps I should draw up my top ten!!!
Lurker
0 likes
Valley of the dolls, I like Jacqueline Susann's books.
0 likes
Guinness book of world records, bits of the bible, but can't claim to have read it. I've seen "Valley of the Dolls" with Sharon Tate....

I read mostly suspense thrillers, and non fiction. Oh, and I've read the entire "Harry Potter"
Collection. Those stories, although they may seem silly to some, grew to be darker and darker with each book.
I also like Mark Tufo's "Zombie Fallout" series.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Only read two from Nicola's list, the Bible and parts of various editions of the Guiness Book of World Records.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Number 10
Not be confused with Russ Meyer's campy film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls , this novel, which was first published in 1966, was an instant hit. The plot centers around three women vying to make it in showbiz, who instead get plagued by sex, drugs and scandal. Pushing the boundaries of the '60s, it's undeniably a trashy melodrama but it is addictive and entertaining nonetheless.

Number 9
Sheldon was an average American clergyman. However, it all changed when he published this tome in 1896, bringing him phenomenal fame and fortune. This discourse is about dilemmas and how we can use the Bible in everyday life, boiling Christianity down to its very essence. What Sheldon proposes is that we put ourselves in Jesus' shoes for every decision we make, that it's the only way to really exercise discipleship.

Number 8

This 1899 short essay, clocking in at around 1,500 words, is about the real hero of the Cuban War. At its core, it is a dissertation on labor relations that still rings true today. It basically addresses workers and preaches initiative. It achieved these staggering sales figures mostly because companies would buy the book in bulk to distribute to their employees.

Excerpt: "My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the 'boss' is away, as well as when he is home."

Number 7

No Vulcans or warp speed, but the same good sense though. In 1946, pediatrician Spock penned this classic on how to raise children. Not only was the book important in its own right, it was also somewhat controversial considering a man wrote about what was traditionally considered a woman's task. This is the source that generations of parents have relied on when dealing with newborns and toddlers. It covers a wide range of topics relating to childcare, from infancy to early education.

Excerpt: "The fact is that child rearing is a long, hard job, the rewards are not always immediately obvious, the work is often undervalued, and parents are just as human and almost as vulnerable as their children."

Number 6

The numerous editions of this anthology of short stories for young readers were quite popular when first printed in 1836, though they were initially rather preachy. Not only were they a great learning tool but they also contained valuable moral lessons. During the 19th century, 80% of all American schoolchildren used them. Some sources claim that 120 million copies were sold but it is believed that these figures are bloated considering the U.S. population numbered around 10 million at the time.

Excerpt: "The first object of the intelligent teacher, is to awaken the attention of his pupil."

Number 5

The world saw the apparition of this work in 1868 and it's been published every year since, except for a hiatus between 1876 and 1886 when ownership was in limbo. A comprehensive reference manual encompassing information on just about every subject, from sports and economy to history and geography, the World Almanac is a favorite of many. In 1923, Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as U.S. President by his Justice father who read the oath from a copy of this book.

Excerpt: "At the site where the World Trade Center had stood, the task of removing 1.62 million tons of rubble while searching for human remains officially ended July 15, 2002."

Number 4

Author: Various Before flooding the Web and network TV specials, world records have fascinated millions through the famous book in its yearly edition. First published in 1955, the book is a repository of world records of all sorts, from sports heroics and eccentric feats to freaky human deformities. It came to be when the big boss of the Guinness brewery wanted to know what the fastest game bird in Europe was; he figured a book containing such facts might prove lucrative. The fact that it contains lots of photographs deeply appeals to the human voyeuristic hunger.
Excerpt: "The world's longest kiss took place in New York City, lasting a Guinness World Record 30 hours, 59 minutes, and 27 seconds."

Number 3

It was in 1783 that this famous book was first published. It soon became the preferred English textbook in schools through 19th-century America. The Blue-Back Speller 's charm was that words were broken down into syllables, which made it easier for students to learn pronunciation. The book was often revised and reedited by its author.

Excerpt: "The design of this Grammatical institute is to furnish schools in this country with an easy, accurate and comprehensive system of rules and lessons for teaching the English language."

Number 2

Most people are more familiar with the book under its nickname: The Little Red Book . First published in 1966, it sheds light on the Chinese dictator's views on life, economics, and politics. Fairly poetic in style, Mao's fervent beliefs of the Communist ideology shine through.

Excerpt: "We should support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports."

Number 1

Does it really surprise anyone? The Good Book, which is the foundation of Christianity, aside from Christ himself of course, was the first volume to be printed around 1450. Until then, the book had been hand-copied by patient monks and was only available to clerics and scholars. Gutenberg's new printing technique allowed missionaries to bring copies of the bible with them in their religious conversion quests. It has been printed in more than 2,000 languages and dialects so far.

Excerpt: "Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it."

Valley of the Dolls
The McGuffey Readers
Guinness World Records
Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung
The Holy Bible (six times cover to cover)
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Is it because I'm British,my age(72)or my sex(male),but the only book mentioned here that I've read is Mao's little red book.Can't remember when I bought it,too many years ago to remember.My
latest book which I bought only three days ago because I was going to be sitting in my car waiting for someone and needed something to read is Go Set A Watchman.What more can you want other than the first and last of an author's work,I also have Gore Vidal's first and last,with a few between.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Number 10

Number 9

Number 8

Number 7

Number 6

Number 5

Number 4

Number 3

Number 2

Number 1

Not to be a killjoy or anything like this but...Doesn't this list look horribly innacurate? I mean, if it's only non-fiction (so, no Dickens, no Cervantes, no Christie, no Saint-Exupéry, no Rowling and no Tolkien, all of whom have books at 100+ millions copies sold) what is Valley of the Dolls doing there? If it's non-fiction only, where is the Qu'ran?

And I'm not saying that because I've only dipped into Valley of the Dolls, the little red book and the Bible. biggrin
Lurker
0 likes
I read constantly & I have only read three of these books.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
When I was younger, I read a few editions of Guinness World Records. And I'm not Christian, but I have read bits and pieces of the bible. Nothing else on the original list looks even remotely interesting to me. I guess I don't have 'top 10 bestselling' taste in literature.

This seems like a better list:
Guardian's 1000 Novels Everyone Must Read

I got 92 of them.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Number 10

Number 9

Number 8

Number 7

Number 6

Number 5

Number 4

Number 3

Number 2

Number 1

First of all I was amazed at the top ten.

I'm not so amazed The Holy Bible at number one. Ive read the Bible cover to cover many times always discovering new things each time.

I've used the Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care book with my son, only to be alarmed after it was discredited after generations of use.

In His Steps I read many years ago. Surprised this was top ten as there are better books by far along this line.

We have used the Guinness Book of World Records as reference for years but I don't believe anyone read whole thing. If they did it was a waste of time or they were prepping for a game show.

We own the World Almanac but I can't honestly say I've read it. A really really big heavy book that looks good in library.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Number 10

Number 9

Number 8

Number 7

Number 6

Number 5

Number 4

Number 3

Number 2

Number 1

valley of the dolls, years ago when it first came out.
The McGuffey Readers, read parts of it in grade school
The World Almanac and Book of Facts, used it as a reference to make my stories more factual
Guinness World Records
Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung
The Holy Bible, read it 6 times cover to cover