last reply
12 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Hello gentlemen,

Lately I've stumbled across a medical website that described different conditions that can affect the penis, and I must say it scared the hell out of me. Yeast infection particularly frightened me (Candida Balanitis).

I'd like to know if any of you is knowledgable about such complications and how to prevent them. Do you know of a particular regimen to ensure these won't develop?

Also, if you have any other tip about how to maintain an healthy and aesthetic penis, please let us know. Are creams and lotions advisable, or will only lead to infections?

Thanks for sharing.

PS: I am circumcised myself, but advices for both circumcised and uncircumcised penises are welcome.
Lurker
0 likes
Just making sure you stay clean is probably the biggest thing - I've never suffered anything like those in 35 years of being sexual active - I've heard of some guys who are 'scared' of thoroughly washing themselves when showering - and they end up with issues
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A long time ago I took my penis to the movies and we watched the first Rocky.
Ever since, it took up a pretty stringent regiment of push ups, sit ups and consuming raw eggs.
The results have been fantastic, but the constant half retarded yell of "Adrian" has been somewhat disturbing.
Should have went and saw Jaws or a James Bond flick instead.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by EirikrThorson
Just making sure you stay clean is probably the biggest thing - I've never suffered anything like those in 35 years of being sexual active - I've heard of some guys who are 'scared' of thoroughly washing themselves when showering - and they end up with issues

I read that washing with only water is the best thing to do. Personally I wash with a mild liquid soap, as it seems my penis remains oily otherwise. Maybe it should remain somehow oily?

I read a lot of contradictions about penis care on the internet :

- Improper hygiene can lead to complications, but so can overwashing

- Moisturizing creams can solve dryness issues, but can also cause irritation and allergic reactions

- Vaseline can form a protective layer, but can also prevent the skin from breathing properly

It seems to more I read and inform myself, the more I'm confused. I don't have any problem so far, but really don't wish to develop gross diseases.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Washing

Your member is a sensitive organ, a point that should always be kept in mind. For some odd reason, many men feel the need to vigorously scrub their units with powerful soaps or disinfectants to keep clean. Guys, simple washing with warm water and, if necessary, a mild soap or non-soap cleanser (such as sorbolene or glycerine cream) is more than satisfactory. Uncircumcised men should slide the foreskin back and wash the head of the exposed penis simply with warm water, not soap. Then, be sure to dry the area very well.

Both infrequent and too-frequent washing have been associated with balanitis (an inflammation of the penis or head). If you do notice irritation, avoid scented soaps or shower gels and try warm salt water instead. New clothes or even new laundry detergents can also cause irritation. If irritation persists, see a doctor.

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/health_150/186_mens_health.html
Lurker
0 likes
brush after every meal
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I read that washing with only water is the best thing to do. Personally I wash with a mild liquid soap, as it seems my penis remains oily otherwise. Maybe it should remain somehow oily?

I read a lot of contradictions about penis care on the internet :

- Improper hygiene can lead to complications, but so can overwashing

- Moisturizing creams can solve dryness issues, but can also cause irritation and allergic reactions

- Vaseline can form a protective layer, but can also prevent the skin from breathing properly

It seems to more I read and inform myself, the more I'm confused. I don't have major problems so far, but really don't wish to develop gross diseases.

Washing - I've been using nothing but plain. old Ivory bar soap forever - I don't scrub there, but I do make sure it's thoroughly washed

Protection - if you're not sure of your partner, make sure you got a condom

General - if you've exercised or done yard work and build up a sweat, change your briefs as well as your normal clothes after a quick rinse and soon as possible after swimming, take a shower

That's pretty much been my rules forever
Lurker
0 likes
I just take showers and use soap. Never had any infections down there.
Lurker
0 likes
I just wash with regular soap and a washcloth. I also trim my pubes which makes me sweat less in the entire area. Never had any problems with it.

I'm guessing most guys, at least uncircumsiced guys, have had the experience of finding cock cheese under their foreskin. Little white stuff that looks kinda like feta cheese. This isn't a sign of you having a shitty hygiene, it's actually glands around the head that's excreeting it as an additional lube. It's made from the same stuff that comes out of your zits when you squeeze them, so yes ladies, you have cock cheese too. And it's in your face. But if you see it, wash it off. Once it has reached that stage it has no more use.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Thanks for your feedback guys.

One thing I did before was applying an anti-biotic on my penis to kill bacterias, and it also helped my penis keep a slick and healthy appearance. I did this maybe once every week. But I've read that disturbing the natural bacterias on the penis can lead to complications, as it can kill the good bacterias. Anyone knows anything about this?

Also, do you guys moisturize your penis or apply Vaseline to minimize friction?
Lurker
0 likes
Med training kicking in here

Yes, too much use of an anti-biotic not only can kill off good bacteria, can also lead to resistant strains of bad ones - only use an anti-biotic when necessary

Other question

The skin's natural oils are all I've ever needed, remember that Vaseline is a petroleum based product - you really want to put something like that there?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by EirikrThorson
Med training kicking in here

Yes, too much use of an anti-biotic not only can kill off good bacteria, can also lead to resistant strains of bad ones - only use an anti-biotic when necessary

Other question

The skin's natural oils are all I've ever needed, remember that Vaseline is a petroleum based product - you really want to put something like that there?

Thanks a lot. So you think even when applied only once a week, this anti-biotic cream can be harmful? It's kind of sad, because it really made my penis look better.

I don't believe Vaseline is harmful on its own (not a single study suggests so), but just found this, which implies a big no-no for the penis :

"Petroleum jelly is the most effective moisturizer available,” says Vancouver dermatologist Dr. Richard Thomas. “The reduction in water loss makes it easier for the epidermis to continue normal function.”

But there’s a potential downside. A study that was published in Pediatrics in 2000 found that extremely-low-birth-weight infants treated with petroleum jelly were more likely to develop systemic candidiasis; it created a warm, moist place for fungi to grow. “Sometimes you want the skin to breathe more,” says Celeste Lutrario,vice-president of research and development for Burt’s Bees, which does not use petrolatum in its products. She says petrolatum is an occlusive barrier, locking in moisture—but it does not allow moisture to be absorbed from the atmos­phere."

Source
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, even once a week use can cause detrimental effects if not needed to treat infection - I've never used it unless absolutely necessary and have never had a complaint from a gal - and some WOULD complain if they didn't like the look

I try to stay away from petroleum based products just as a matter of course, but yes, that study is another good reason - the skin's natural oils are all you need unless you have an endocrine problem where you're not producing any/enough

Just regular washing with a mild soap should be all you need to keep 'Mr Happy' in top-notch condition