Fifty Shades of Grey fans launch online petition protesting film casting

last reply
30 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't know I am not a fan of the series and I don't really know who the actors are. I know the guy playing Christian is on a tv series and the chick playing Anastasia I do not know.

It's like when Twilight came out I knew that Robert Patterson played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. However I had no idea of Kristen Stewart or Taylor Lautner was.

People should just wait it out and see when the movie is out in cinema.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I haven't read the books but from what I know about the characters, the choices seem fine.

I think people are just pissed that they're not really big-name Hollywood actors.

As SJ said, people scream and wail at casting choices and then fall right in line when the movie comes out and start swooning over the same people they petitioned against. I'm sure the same will happen here.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/04/fifty-shades-grey-hunnam-johnson-protest

After looking at the choice, I can't say I'm surprised.

The film has great potential...if done right...

I don't know - it seems petty, but I have a few books-to-movie that I love and am a huge fan of and the actor choice has to satisfy your interest.

Like I'm tire of brad Pitt being in everything. He's ruined movies for me.

Hollywood tends to butcher things. People should have more of a say since they're spending all their money on it.
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
I've not read the books, to be honest, but at the same time, I have skimmed sections (and not just the sex parts).

I know both names chosen as the leads, and I must second Nicola ... I'm disappointed in their choices. I understand the "availability and interest" as cited in the article, but at the same time ... They're making the movie for the fans. And most would agree that those actors aren't suited.

Hunnam is a great actor, but I don't think he's got the panache and dominating nature to fully become Christian Grey. I just don't see him doing it. And, well, Aanastasia Steele has an air of innocence, which Johnson doesn't possess. I don't even think makeup could make that look.

I don't have any say-so, whatsoever, but that's just my two cents.

I'll give it a go, anyhow. But maybe once it's on Netflix, that way I don't waste too much of my money.
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Cock Connoisseur
0 likes
I like the choice for Christian Grey. Charlie Hunnam does very well in his role on SOA. I think he has what it takes to pull of the arrogance and Dominance that is the character of Christian Grey. I can't speak much for the female choice, I am not familiar with her prior works.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the film. I have read the 50 Shades trilogy and loved it. Of course I read it for nothing more than enjoyment. Is it a BDSM bible? No, is it the way the D/s lifestyle is, of course not. Well for some perhaps but its not for me to judge. I read them for pure fiction enjoyment and nothing more. Each book left me wanting to read the next. I can't wait to see how the movie play out and can only hope they do right by the plot and not butcher it like so many books turned movies do.

Will either actor due their part justice? Only time will tell. Actor's are suppose to be able to take a role that perhaps isn't normally them, and pull it off. My expectations are set high since I have read them and I hope that whomever they cast in the roles can make me believe they are those characters. If they can, bravo. If not........potential box office flop.
Lurker
0 likes
I think Ravyn should be in the movie
Cock Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by Zina
I think Ravyn should be in the movie

Haha, not.....but thank you for the confidence there Zina smile
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I imagine it would be even more painfully hilarious than Twilight.

Seriously though, fuck the film.

Just have Gilbert Gottfried read the entire thing for an audio book.

I mean it!

If you don't laugh your ass off at the following video, a wire in your head has been unplugged.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
my wife pointed out recently that when Robert Pattenson was cast for Twilight it got the same response - like a million billion petition signatures against the choice, and obviously, it kind of worked out in the end. think they went thru the same thing when Josh Hutchinson was cast as Peta in Hunger Games, too. people need to relax and trust that the person who wrote the book (in all three cases, the authors have had input) know what they're doing. that said, i understand that Henry "Hunk of Steel" Cavell was the first choice for Edward in Twilight?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I've read the books and though not a major fan, it was decent enough. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, just to see what they can do with it. I don't know who the girl is. I've even looked her up, and have no idea. However Charlie Hunnam is an amazing actor, has done kick arse in SOA, and I do think he is a great choice to play the role.

I think it's better that they're not using extremely popular Hollywood names. It should be about the film, not WHO is in the film.
0 likes
The funny thing is, nobody made this big a fuss about pre-production casting in the pre-Internet days. I'm sure there were some watercooler conversations and such but more often than not, you didn't even know who was going to be in a movie until production was under way unless you actually read trade papers like Variety and Hollywood Reporter.

I care not a whit for 50 Shades but, IMO, fans should just let the author (I believe James herself announced the casting) and movie team do their thing and pass judgement on the final product, not on what they think they final product will be. You may well be surprised.

Am I always happy when a book I like is adapted for a movie or there is a remake of a past property that I like? Of course not. But I wait to see what the final product looks like for the most part, even if casting and directing choices sometimes make me skeptical (or boost my enthusiasm). Certainly I would never go out of my way to lobby for my choice in casting a pic.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
I've read the books and though not a major fan, it was decent enough. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, just to see what they can do with it. I don't know who the girl is. I've even looked her up, and have no idea. However Charlie Hunnam is an amazing actor, has done kick arse in SOA, and I do think he is a great choice to play the role.

I think it's better that they're not using extremely popular Hollywood names. It should be about the film, not WHO is in the film.
Quote by Poppet

I agree with Poppet, Does not matter WHO they use, just want to see what they can actually do the series of books justice. MOST book to movies are a flop.
I did happen to like them..BTW
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by sprite
my wife pointed out recently that when Robert Pattenson was cast for Twilight it got the same response - like a million billion petition signatures against the choice, and obviously, it kind of worked out in the end. think they went thru the same thing when Josh Hutchinson was cast as Peta in Hunger Games, too. people need to relax and trust that the person who wrote the book (in all three cases, the authors have had input) know what they're doing. that said, i understand that Henry "Hunk of Steel" Cavell was the first choice for Edward in Twilight?

I agree with you Sprite, yes I am disappointed with the cast at present. I really wanted Ian Somerhalder for Christian he is so gorgeous, as is Christian in the books. The pics I saw of the man chosen well I didn't fancy him at all and I have never heard of the girl. That being said yes your wife is right, same as for Twilight in the end the cast worked very well so we will all have to wait and see.

Personally with regards to 50 shades books, by the 3rd I wanted to gouge out my own eyes I was so bored. I felt the books were over publicised and were nowhere near as kinky as they promised to be. For anyone who is interested I sooo much prefer Sylvia Days Crossfire books. Now there is a couple, Gideon and Eva are hot together and its a great storyline to given their history. Now that's a film id pay to go to watch if they ever made it, just read book 3 and cannot wait for book 4.

Personally I will most likely wait for 50 Shades to come out on dvd now, I doubt I will bother going to the cinema to see it as Im disappointed with the cast, I hope im pleasantly surprised though when I do eventually see it.

Oh and yes mmmmmmm Henry Cavill, I want to have his babies smile

The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Clever Gem
0 likes
Meh.. I've not read any of them.
Lurker
0 likes
I enjoyed the book but I'm not really impressed with the casts for the movie. I would love Ian Somerhalder or Henry Cavill for Christian but I hope it will be a great movie and give justice to the novel.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Give the choices the opportunity. If the movie bombs, they'll change the actors or cancel the next 2 films. Personally I couldn't see the fascination with the books as there are better stories on here.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Robz17
Give the choices the opportunity. If the movie bombs, they'll change the actors or cancel the next 2 films. Personally I couldn't see the fascination with the books as there are better stories on here.

this. Blondie; the movie.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Considering everything I've heard about the books I'm still confused at how they intend to make a non X rated movie version.
0 likes
Aaaaand ... the fans got their wish. Hunnam has stepped out of the role due to schedule conflicts with Sons of Anarchy. Let the casting rumours recommence!!
Princess D
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

I mean it!

If you don't laugh your ass off at the following video, a wire in your head has been unplugged.

well that made my Sunday...too freaking funny thanks for the laughs...........
The Creep
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

Seriously

I mean it!

...thank you for sharing this... it made me laugh... now being sick on a weekend is not boring with this read...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Blondie; the movie.

I'd pay lots of money to see this
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Cant wait to see this
Lurker
0 likes
Casting and movies usually fall short. It's just a picture book version of literature sometimes, cause words make some think too much.

Case in point.

This looks more like How Stella Got Her Groove Back than Queen of the Damned.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Going by pics so far I can not wait to see thid movie biggrin
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

I mean it!

This honestly made my day.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

I mean it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was some funny shit. I had to watch the entire clip & couldn't stop laughing.
I think I see A new carreer for Gilbert on the horizon.UtwDQafQASvA54Iu
Lurker
0 likes
I don't know if I like the ones they chose for the two main characters but will wait and see. I loved the books but have this feeling the movie won't be as good. And don't know why I do feel that way.