last reply
14 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
from ABC 7 News - http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0109/582097.html

Many people like to stop and play with newborn babies, but now some adult women are playing house with fake babies.

Some women are even going as far as taking day trips with the fake babies to the park, out to eat, and even hosting birthday parties for them.

Forty-nine-year-old Linda is married with no children of her own. Now, she says she feels like a mother because she has Reborns -- dolls made to look and feel like the real thing.

"It's not a crazy habit, like, you know, drinking, or some sort of, something that's going to hurt you. It's like a hobby.and it doesn't really hurt anybody," Linda said.

These women are paying big bucks for this hobby, from $100 to a few thousand dollars. For Reborn owner Lachelle Moore, the fake babies fill a void.

"What's so wonderful about Reborns is that, um, they're forever babies," said Moore, who has grown children and grandchildren. "There's no college tuition, no dirty diapers... just the good part of motherhood," she added.

In her Kansas City home, Moore even has an elaborate room for the dolls. She organizes birthday parties, bakes a cake and even invites guests.

Psychologists say there could be a problem if and when these women stop interacting socially with others in their life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments, please.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
Comments, please.

Better than the real dolls thread....just.

I think the people who take up this hobby would be better off using the money to see a psychiatrist.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Ah yes, I saw this story on t.v. too; the psychiatrist comment kind of reminds me when you have teenagers sitting in the same room texting each other instead of speaking...

Nobody talks anymore...we email, we text, we blog, we post...

Lush Legend
0 likes
This is so true Roc....between emailing, texting, blogging, myspace, facebook, etc.

No one is talking anymore.....
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
What happened to the days whe you had to go outside and play with your friends or if you wanted to talk you called them one the phone. Ah the good old days.
Lush Legend
0 likes
That's right bikebum......

I miss those days....
Lurker
0 likes
Even when people go to the clubs or restaurants with friends, they're texting or talking on a phone!

Our parents got after us for being on the telephone too long. Kids nowadays are taking that concept to the nth degree.

Back to the subject. If you were invited to one of these reborn birthday parties, would you go?
Lurker
0 likes
No. Some things are just to freaky for me.
Lush Legend
0 likes
uh uh....

ya'll know how I feel about dolls......
Lurker
0 likes
And if she was a friend of mine I would seriously consider calling her family cause I would thing she was on the verge of a breakdown.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No. Some people need serious help.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Don't these women have family who cares about them and sees that thier loved one has a serious problem, I want kids but I wouldn't stoop to that, what can a doll give you? These women need some serious psychiatric help, and I hope that someone helps them soon.
Apple
Seeker
0 likes
Why don't they just get a pet? A baby doll? No way!! When I get to the point where I am all alone...I am going out!!
Lurker
0 likes
Yes a pet would at least give you something back. Ad oll for adults just kind of creepy