Burned or Burnt?

last reply
11 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
I was wondering how authors use these words.

Personally, I use burned as the past tense and pp of the verb to burn. Whereas I use burnt as an adjective.

For example:

"Oh no! You've burned my toast!"

but

I didn't enjoy my breakfast, because my toast was burnt.

Does anyone make this distinction or do you use burned/burnt interchangeably as a verb?

Danny xx

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Lurker
0 likes
Who's muckin wit the King's Winglish. I did seed Bornt on Fourth of July
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I'm the same as you, Danny.

However, Google says that burned and burnt both work as the past tense and past participle of burn. Both are used throughout the English-speaking world, but usage conventions vary. American and Canadian writers use burned more often, and they use burnt mainly in adjectival phrases, such as burnt out and burnt orange. Outside North America, the two forms are used interchangeably, and neither is significantly more common than the other.

Burned is the older form. Burnt came about during a period in the 16th through 18th centuries in which there was a trend toward replacing -ed endings with -t in words where -ed was no longer pronounced as a separate syllable. Later, British writers continued to favor the newer -t forms for a handful of verbs, while North Americans went back to the more traditional -ed forms.

Seems like you and I have some explaining to do when next we meet with Her Majesty.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Princess Blondie
0 likes
I use both pretty much how u do.
†Jinxy Approved†

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Burned is a verb. Burnt is an adjective.

I burned these cupcakes.

These cupcakes are burnt.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

Personally, I use burned as the past tense and pp of the verb to burn. Whereas I use burnt as an adjective.

For example:

but

Does anyone make this distinction or do you use burned/burnt interchangeably as a verb?

Danny xx

I'd do it exactly the same way as you've described...
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i use Burnted.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

For example:

but

Danny xx

Technically, both are acceptable, although there's no need to change burned to burnt when using it as an adjective. When we use verbs as adjectives, ye oulde everyday, garden variety past participle is the norm. Here in the United Snakes, the current rule books accept both, although burnt is a much older, more traditional usage dating pretty well back over yonder in the land of the mother tongue. In general, "n" is a voiced consonant, so "d" is the "rule". Still, rules are such a PITA. You're right either way.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

For example:

but

Danny xx

Well hello Miss Scouser, nice to know somebody in this fair city is bothered about grammar. The two are interchangeable, however, burnt is more commonly used.
Lurker
0 likes
I think you lot should get new toasters.... What: am I missing the point??

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Iain69
I think you lot should get new toasters.... What: am I missing the point??

Yup!

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is it boynt in Brooklyn?