Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What is your favorite movie based on a book?

last reply
231 replies
21.6k views
0 watchers
4 likes
0 likes
I guess The Shawshank Redemption. A lot of good movies based off Stephen King's books, but that's my favorite. I saw the first Mortal instruments movie, and that wasn't too bad. A few select others are good too.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
The Talented Mr Ripley based on Patricia Highsmith's novel and Jaws based on Peter Benchley's novel.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To Kill A Mockingbird
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Shawshank Redemption, hands down.
0 likes
Bladerunner (based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, though the movie and book are very different)

Dracula (I have several favorite versions)

The Haunting (1963 version directed by Robert Wise, based on The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson)

Jaws, though the movie is so much better than the book I tend to forget about the book
Lurker
0 likes
Tie. Clockwork Orange, and Fight Club.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This one is tough because I liked the Bourne Trilogy by Robert Ludlum but the Movies didnt follow the books hardly at all
Rookie Scribe
1 like
The Godfather: Parts 1 and 2, since they are from the same book. The book was really good, but in this case, I think the movies were even better.
Lurker
0 likes
So many fight club, lord of the rings, harry potter
Lurker
0 likes
Maybe the only movie I preferred over the book...Forest Gump.
Advanced Wordsmith
1 like
The stand...pet semetery ...lord of the rings..
Lurker
1 like
I have to go with The Shining. Amazing story coupled with Kubrick's genius, atmospheric direction. Not to mention Jack Nicholson being bad ass, and the kid playing Danny Torrance still creeps me out during the redrum scene.
0 likes
Quote by Alex7
I have to go with The Shining. Amazing story coupled with Kubrick's genius, atmospheric direction. Not to mention Jack Nicholson being bad ass, and the kid playing Danny Torrance still creeps me out during the redrum scene.

Good movie (though I'm not a huge Kubrick fan, to be honest) but another where its relationship with the book gets a bit tenuous. I like both, but they aren't not entirely the same thing. King himself dislikes Kubrick's version and actually did his own TV movie adaptation a couple decades later.

One book adaptation that is a bit of an oddity given my usual tastes in movies is Bridges of Madison County. Never actually read the book, but Eastwood (as actor and director) and Streep hit that one out of the park.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've always rather enjoyed the Hornblower adventures
Lurker
0 likes
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I'm just going to ruin any credibility I may have and admit to The Hunger Games. I like what I like.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
John Adams by David McCullogh
Lurker
0 likes
the godfather
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Godfather

Jaws, which BTW was so much better than the book

The Shawshank Redemption

to name a few but there are many more
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The girl with the dragon tattoo from the book by Steig Larson. The one made in Sweden with English subtitles.
0 likes
Quote by pj2012
The girl with the dragon tattoo from the book by Steig Larson. The one made in Sweden with English subtitles.

I have never read the trilogy but saw the first Swedish movie and liked it. Haven't got around to watching the other two, though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Shawshank Redemption. Da-Vinci Code though reading the book I always envisaged Harrison Ford rather than Tom Hanks as Langdon
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
In no particular order:

Jaws
The entire Harry Potter series
LOTR trilogy
To Kill a Mockingbird
Life of Pi
The Golden Compass (made me sad when further production of the novels got tanked)
The Hunger Games
The Color Purple
How Stella Got Her Groove Back

(Blame my mom for the last two )

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Harry Potter! hee hee and on a more serious note Eat,Pray, Love.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
As a certified (certifiable?) old fart, here are some 'oldies' that haven't been mentioned:

The Maltese Falcon: great novel and a virtual word-for-word adaptation into a classic film
Gone With the Wind: even if you like neither the book nor the film, try to envision a better adaptation
The Big Sleep: Bogart was Phillip Marlow
From Here To Eternity: still not sure if the film or book is better
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: way underrated, IMHO

Not suggesting these should be on any 'best' list. However, they are books I've read and movie adaptations I've watched.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Princess Bride
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
Lurker
0 likes
There are a lot out there. Two come to mind and they were minnie series. One was the Thorn Birds and the other is North And South. Read the books and saw the shows and just loved them. I could watch over and over.