Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Have you come out to family/parents? Options · View
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 9:21:18 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
I have not. I think it is easier for me because I am bisexual and married to a man so there is no reason to go back into my past. But I have had friends who were disowned and I have friends whose parents were very cool with it. They already knew anyway.
lisa95
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 10:05:10 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 112
Location: florida, United States
Hell yes !!! My mom all dress me in my sisters old hand me down. My dad pet name for me went I was young his little princess. My mom was great teacher how to dress, cook , sew. I was so lucky to have my sister and my baby sister danni69. say hi to her she having a hard time.
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 10:29:23 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
I haven't, but they all know that I'm bisexual. I told my friend and she said "so, what's new?" Really, it isn't a big deal to me or to my family or friends. If it was a big deal to my friends, they just wouldn't be my friends, or I would educate them. I actually don't get what the big deal is about 'coming out'. You love who you love and that should be it. No reason the world and his dog should know. No reason anyone should get all tied up in knots about it. The ones who do object, they're the stupid ones, they're the ones who make people feel like they have to prove something just because they fancy people of their own gender. Kick my face in for this, I don't care, it is my opinion. I'll just say this: If you treat me with respect, I'll treat you with respect, regardless of gender, sexuality, religion, race or whatever else you could be discriminated against for. Love me and I will love you back.
Guest
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 11:03:59 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
GingerKitty wrote:
I haven't, but they all know that I'm bisexual. I told my friend and she said "so, what's new?" Really, it isn't a big deal to me or to my family or friends. If it was a big deal to my friends, they just wouldn't be my friends, or I would educate them. I actually don't get what the big deal is about 'coming out'. You love who you love and that should be it. No reason the world and his dog should know. No reason anyone should get all tied up in knots about it. The ones who do object, they're the stupid ones, they're the ones who make people feel like they have to prove something just because they fancy people of their own gender. Kick my face in for this, I don't care, it is my opinion. I'll just say this: If you treat me with respect, I'll treat you with respect, regardless of gender, sexuality, religion, race or whatever else you could be discriminated against for. Love me and I will love you back.


Totally agree with everything you said.
dpw
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:10:46 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
NickiC wrote:
I have not. I think it is easier for me because I am bisexual and married to a man so there is no reason to go back into my past. But I have had friends who were disowned and I have friends whose parents were very cool with it. They already knew anyway.

I had a shit time mostly with my dad, although he offered to get me help (I didn't need help, I was very good at being gay). My love life was never a subject that was discussed in my family, only with 1 niece and 1 nephew.
thesexynun
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:59:59 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/18/2013
Posts: 883
Location: the nunnery, United States
my sister is a lesbian..and I am very open about her with my kids and have been since they were little

and if either of my kids came out to me I would hug them and tell them I love them

it breaks my heart that any parent or family would judge a loved one on their sexuality

you are born gay...

gay straight bisexual asexual...we are all one in love's eyes



" smile..it is the second best thing to do with your LIPS!"
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:24:39 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
dpw wrote:

I had a shit time mostly with my dad, although he offered to get me help (I didn't need help, I was very good at being gay). My love life was never a subject that was discussed in my family, only with 1 niece and 1 nephew.


You know I have found in experiences with my gay male friends that it is usually the father that has the most problems accepting it. I know someone who has come out to everyone BUT their father. He is so afraid of losing his love and that is so sad to me. I am not hiding who I am because they wouldn't accept me but being bisexual I think is different. I should clarify, my closest friends do but I did not feel the need to make an announcement.

However, if I had met a woman and wanted to settle with her, I would have told everyone because I wouldn't want her to feel like she was some dirty little secret.
Kimasa
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 6:44:53 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/18/2010
Posts: 1,379
Location: Narnia, United Kingdom
No I haven't. I'm bi but only mention my dates with guys. When questioned/pressured re marriage, regular boyfriends I use the 'I'm too busy with my career for all that' as my get out clause, my mother would have 50 fits and I'm guess I'm scared of her and the family's reaction.

My latest story:

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-school-reunion.aspx
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:20:05 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
I have never understood the whole "coming out" thing. And frankly it outright annoys me. I could understand it back when homosexuality or bisexuality was HIDDEN and it could cause serious issues for people. But from what I can see, that time is LONG gone and most of the problems I see concerning it are caused by gay/les/bi people themselves (not all, only a very vocal minority) as opposed to the general public or even families. Most people just don't care. Be YOURSELF and just do what you do. People will know, if it is important to them. If not, so what?

The simple truth is, there are bigoted people out there, and bigoted for all sorts of reasons... not just sexual orientation. We have some of them in our families, and we run into them in the general public. But homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. are pretty much as common as pepsi and coke now days. It does not have the shock factor or impact it did 30 or more years ago. You see it on TV, in movies, on the street, you name it. There is no need for coming out, imo, any more. I find that the reality is that gay/les/bi folks tend to make more of their sexual preference than anyone else does.

But I guess it also depends on where you live too. What country, and even what part of the country. So what I said applies to where I have lived and what I see... it may not apply to everyone else.
Dani
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 10:23:33 AM

Rank: Big-Haired Bitch
Moderator

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 6,271
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
JohnC wrote:
I have never understood the whole "coming out" thing. And frankly it outright annoys me. I could understand it back when homosexuality or bisexuality was HIDDEN and it could cause serious issues for people. But from what I can see, that time is LONG gone and most of the problems I see concerning it are caused by gay/les/bi people themselves (not all, only a very vocal minority) as opposed to the general public or even families. Most people just don't care. Be YOURSELF and just do what you do. People will know, if it is important to them. If not, so what?

The simple truth is, there are bigoted people out there, and bigoted for all sorts of reasons... not just sexual orientation. We have some of them in our families, and we run into them in the general public. But homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. are pretty much as common as pepsi and coke now days. It does not have the shock factor or impact it did 30 or more years ago. You see it on TV, in movies, on the street, you name it. There is no need for coming out, imo, any more. I find that the reality is that gay/les/bi folks tend to make more of their sexual preference than anyone else does.

But I guess it also depends on where you live too. What country, and even what part of the country. So what I said applies to where I have lived and what I see... it may not apply to everyone else.


I agree, some milestones have been made. But the LGBT community as a whole still has a long way to go. Legally, they're going in a positive direction. But there's still family, friends, co-workers, etc. to worry about.

And not to mention those that don't have the option of coming out and are instead outed by others.

It does suck that coming out is a necessary thing...but coming out is still a necessary thing.


"Bitch, who asked you?" - A Bitch Who Didn't Ask You

Guest
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 11:44:50 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
I've behaved like a guy since I was a kid so I thought coming out to my parents at the age of fourteen wouldn't shock them too much. Boy, was I wrong! My father had a fit and so did my uncles (his brothers) and my aunt (his sister) and my grandparents (dad's dad and mom). The men were always hitting me especially when drunk so there were always fistfights and the women threw snide remarks and gave me the cold shoulder. My mom was the only one nice to me but she disapproved, always told me to renew my faith in God and everything would be okay. Eventually after three months or so stuff calmed down. My dad and me are okay but I shun his side of the family and they shun me, which is perfectly fine to me. Now my parents are used to it and there aren't anymore fights. ^_^
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:34:10 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
i have a couple years no one was really all that surprised. my sisters already had an idea I was a lesbian since when ever they talked about boys growing up or guys I just changed the subject. also helped having my girlfriend at the time there with me for support
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 11:04:30 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
Yes I have come out, to family, to friends, anybody who knows me is any doubt of my sexuality. My Family and friends have been really cool about it, in fact I think respect for me is greater now.
allenjames
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:29:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/26/2012
Posts: 203
Location: United States
I told my wife that I'm bi - and monogamous (except on lush!) - decided that if anyone else asked (especially family) I would tell the truth, otherwise it's not necessary to go around advertising it -

Ellen James

And what is love without lust when lust is better for loving
sprite
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:44:12 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 17,959
Location: My Tower, United States
JohnC wrote:
I have never understood the whole "coming out" thing. And frankly it outright annoys me. I could understand it back when homosexuality or bisexuality was HIDDEN and it could cause serious issues for people. But from what I can see, that time is LONG gone and most of the problems I see concerning it are caused by gay/les/bi people themselves (not all, only a very vocal minority) as opposed to the general public or even families. Most people just don't care. Be YOURSELF and just do what you do. People will know, if it is important to them. If not, so what?

The simple truth is, there are bigoted people out there, and bigoted for all sorts of reasons... not just sexual orientation. We have some of them in our families, and we run into them in the general public. But homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. are pretty much as common as pepsi and coke now days. It does not have the shock factor or impact it did 30 or more years ago. You see it on TV, in movies, on the street, you name it. There is no need for coming out, imo, any more. I find that the reality is that gay/les/bi folks tend to make more of their sexual preference than anyone else does.

But I guess it also depends on where you live too. What country, and even what part of the country. So what I said applies to where I have lived and what I see... it may not apply to everyone else.


spoken like a heterosexual. no, that's not a snide remark. the simply fact is, you have never had to walk in the shoes of a gay man or woman. yes, culture and society are slowly adapting, but it's generational, the older generations are still not as accepting, and religion plays a big part of it. i grew up in the bay area, and even there, i saw bigotry. while Seattle has a feel similiar to SF, as a lesbian couple, we often gauge our affection levels based on our surroundings and, while my family has accepted us, i get a very cold reception from my wife's for being the woman who 'turned their daughter gay'. *shrugs*

Live, love, laugh.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:58:05 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
sprite wrote:


spoken like a heterosexual. no, that's not a snide remark. the simply fact is, you have never had to walk in the shoes of a gay man or woman. yes, culture and society are slowly adapting, but it's generational, the older generations are still not as accepting, and religion plays a big part of it. i grew up in the bay area, and even there, i saw bigotry. while Seattle has a feel similiar to SF, as a lesbian couple, we often gauge our affection levels based on our surroundings and, while my family has accepted us, i get a very cold reception from my wife's for being the woman who 'turned their daughter gay'. *shrugs*

You are right, only GAY people can POSSIBLY understand anything to do with being gay. Maybe then homosexuals should take a note and realize that they too simply do not understand heterosexuals either and what they may or may NOT be thinking? Just a thought.... yeah, I think many issues seen by the homosexual community are self inflicted.

I am sorry if this came off as a bit brash, but I too have gay friends and you know what? They AGREE with me. There is simply no one "gay view" and "gay experience", the same as there is no one "man" or "woman" point of view or experience. And the classic "you are not one so you would not know" tends to rub me the wrong way. People in general are not stupid. We do have eyes. And we can see and even empathize with others who are not exactly like ourselves.

Truly NO offense is intended.
dpw
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 3:20:46 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
JohnC wrote:

You are right, only GAY people can POSSIBLY understand anything to do with being gay. Maybe then homosexuals should take a note and realize that they too simply do not understand heterosexuals either and what they may or may NOT be thinking? Just a thought.... yeah, I think many issues seen by the homosexual community are self inflicted.

I am sorry if this came off as a bit brash, but I too have gay friends and you know what? They AGREE with me. There is simply no one "gay view" and "gay experience", the same as there is no one "man" or "woman" point of view or experience. And the classic "you are not one so you would not know" tends to rub me the wrong way. People in general are not stupid. We do have eyes. And we can see and even empathize with others who are not exactly like ourselves.

Truly NO offense is intended.

Ok, firstly I know you're not meaning any offence, you've never come across as anti gay.
Gay people only really understand themselves they may empathize or there may be similarities with other gays but we don't fully understand everything because we're all different. On the other hand we understand heterosexuals because they surround us, they brought us up, taught us, they're our friends.
You'll have to explain the self inflicted issues as I'm not sure what they are.
As for your first post I didn't comment because I figured that you had more important issues to deal with.
I suppose it depends on what coming out is, to me it was letting family and friends know that you aren't like them. I don't know why that annoys you, it's a scary time for young gays and they need support. They are often lonely and don't know why they feel the way they do.
Unfortunately there are plenty of people that do care whether you're gay, they may not say it publicly, but they are uneasy.
As far as long gone goes, it was only 10 yrs ago that The Supreme Court ruled in favour of gay sex being covered by the 14th Amendment. 10 States still have sodomy as a crime but it can't be enforced.
Coming out is a rite of passage to gays, you don't really feel free to be yourself until you've taken that step. Think about it, "Mom, Dad Ive met someone and I've invited then over", then someone of the same sex turns up, or you catch them making out in the car! Don't the parents deserve to know.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 6:56:11 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
dpw wrote:

Ok, firstly I know you're not meaning any offence, you've never come across as anti gay.
Gay people only really understand themselves they may empathize or there may be similarities with other gays but we don't fully understand everything because we're all different. On the other hand we understand heterosexuals because they surround us, they brought us up, taught us, they're our friends.
You'll have to explain the self inflicted issues as I'm not sure what they are.
As for your first post I didn't comment because I figured that you had more important issues to deal with.
I suppose it depends on what coming out is, to me it was letting family and friends know that you aren't like them. I don't know why that annoys you, it's a scary time for young gays and they need support. They are often lonely and don't know why they feel the way they do.
Unfortunately there are plenty of people that do care whether you're gay, they may not say it publicly, but they are uneasy.
As far as long gone goes, it was only 10 yrs ago that The Supreme Court ruled in favour of gay sex being covered by the 14th Amendment. 10 States still have sodomy as a crime but it can't be enforced.
Coming out is a rite of passage to gays, you don't really feel free to be yourself until you've taken that step. Think about it, "Mom, Dad Ive met someone and I've invited then over", then someone of the same sex turns up, or you catch them making out in the car! Don't the parents deserve to know.

Thank you, no I am not anti-gay at all.

I will not make this into a debate between myself and anyone who wants to jump on in. I stated my views pretty simply and stand by them. I truly mean NO disrespect by this. And like I said, I have gay friends and know that many would disagree with certain things you yourself have posted. Such is the way of things. And I still find it insulting (or naive in the least) to think that homosexuals KNOW heterosexuals but heterosexuals simply can NOT know homosexuals. That is categorically incorrect.

Cheers all, I have answered all I am going to on this matter. I was simply trying to lend views and thoughts to a thread about the topic it presents. I didn't want to make it into a "let's debate JonhC" or "let's pick apart what JohnC said" thing. I think it would be best if folks simply state THEIR views and address the OP as opposed to focusing on what any other single member may have said. Then everyone can read the responses and agree, disagree, or be indifferent.

Pour Wine
dpw
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 5:37:29 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Now now guys, I leave a thread for a while and WW3 breaks out. At least let the token gay get a word in!
No more fighting because you lose the whole premise of the thread. Any more and you're on the naughty step!
bootyshake
dpw
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 6:36:05 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
JohnC wrote:

Thank you, no I am not anti-gay at all.

I have gay friends and know that many would disagree with certain things you yourself have posted.

And I still find it insulting (or naive in the least) to think that homosexuals KNOW heterosexuals but heterosexuals simply can NOT know homosexuals. That is categorically incorrect.



First off I never thought that you were anti gay.
However, let me explain my reasoning to the second point and let me know if I'm naive or insulting.
Almost every gay have heterosexual parents, teachers, siblings and friends. That is how we know, we learn from them. None of these can know what it's like to realise that they are gay. They have no idea how isolated and angry you can be or how hard it is to constantly deny it to both yourself and others. People around are very open about their feelings and their emotions because they are normal, they have nothing to hide nothing to be ashamed of. That's how we know how and what straight people think.
I know that in many places homosexuality is becoming more accepted, although the sharp rise in gay hate crimes makes me wonder, but young gay teenagers don't always know that. They aren't wise in the ways of the world and often haven't even accepted themselves, you would be shocked at the number of suicides by gay youngsters.
So I don't think I'm being naive and certainly didn't intend to insult and I also don't think that I'm wrong.
Dirty_D
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 7:48:19 AM

Rank: Head Nurse
Moderator

Joined: 4/15/2011
Posts: 7,487
Location: Soaking up the sun, United States
JohnC wrote:
I have never understood the whole "coming out" thing. And frankly it outright annoys me. I could understand it back when homosexuality or bisexuality was HIDDEN and it could cause serious issues for people. But from what I can see, that time is LONG gone and most of the problems I see concerning it are caused by gay/les/bi people themselves (not all, only a very vocal minority) as opposed to the general public or even families. Most people just don't care. Be YOURSELF and just do what you do. People will know, if it is important to them. If not, so what?

The simple truth is, there are bigoted people out there, and bigoted for all sorts of reasons... not just sexual orientation. We have some of them in our families, and we run into them in the general public. But homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. are pretty much as common as pepsi and coke now days. It does not have the shock factor or impact it did 30 or more years ago. You see it on TV, in movies, on the street, you name it. There is no need for coming out, imo, any more. I find that the reality is that gay/les/bi folks tend to make more of their sexual preference than anyone else does.

But I guess it also depends on where you live too. What country, and even what part of the country. So what I said applies to where I have lived and what I see... it may not apply to everyone else.


This comment contradicts itself. First you say it's annoying because its no big deal, then you say it depends where you live.

I can tell you for sure that in many areas it is still a big deal. While I have never made it a "secret" that I enjoy girls, I don't discuss it around my family and I don't bring girls home.

When my cousin came out, his parents, my grandmother, and my parents(ie everyone in the extended family) stopping talking to or about him. It was as if he was no longer a member of the family. My brother in laws family has reacted the same to his now open uncle. They (all of his siblings and parents) will refuse to have him in the house. One of my best friends was so upset by the potential complications coming out would bring that she tried to kill herself rather than shame the family.

I feel so much for my friend. She is a staunch Christian and feels she is committing a sin whenever she touches a girl. But, in her words, she feels that if she touches a boy she is "being gay" (she identifies herself most closely as a man) and this committing a sin then as well. It might be "no big deal to us, thinking that we "knew" already, but to her it was admitting that she is willfully endangering her immortal self.

All of these people took incredible courage to stand up for themselves and admit to everyone who they were. For you to belittle their efforts and say its "annoying" is very small minded and bigoted.
Guest
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:12:20 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
naughtynurse wrote:

All of these people took incredible courage to stand up for themselves and admit to everyone who they were. For you to belittle their efforts and say its "annoying" is very small minded and bigoted.

Thank you for your views. I apologize if anything I said bothered you or anyone else.

I am however, far from being small minded, or bigoted. I simply stated an annoyance. We all have them. It does not make us bad people, nor bigoted. I am sure we agree on a great many things, but some things people just differ on... even among the LGBT community.

Again, I sincerely apologize if anything I said offended anyone.
dpw
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:23:29 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
naughtynurse wrote:


This comment contradicts itself. First you say it's annoying because its no big deal, then you say it depends where you live.

I can tell you for sure that in many areas it is still a big deal. While I have never made it a "secret" that I enjoy girls, I don't discuss it around my family and I don't bring girls home.

When my cousin came out, his parents, my grandmother, and my parents(ie everyone in the extended family) stopping talking to or about him. It was as if he was no longer a member of the family. My brother in laws family has reacted the same to his now open uncle. They (all of his siblings and parents) will refuse to have him in the house. One of my best friends was so upset by the potential complications coming out would bring that she tried to kill herself rather than shame the family.

I feel so much for my friend. She is a staunch Christian and feels she is committing a sin whenever she touches a girl. But, in her words, she feels that if she touches a boy she is "being gay" (she identifies herself most closely as a man) and this committing a sin then as well. It might be "no big deal to us, thinking that we "knew" already, but to her it was admitting that she is willfully endangering her immortal self.

All of these people took incredible courage to stand up for themselves and admit to everyone who they were. For you to belittle their efforts and say its "annoying" is very small minded and bigoted.

I was with you all the way up to the last line.
John is not a bigot or a homophobe, that's not fair.
You are aware of what is around you and he may live in a tolerant area. Just because he doesn't seek out news of gay injustices in other areas it doesn't mean he's a bigot.
I also think he means coming out with a bang, announcing it to the world and to people that didn't care in the first place.
He also talks about gays that shove their homosexuality down your throat at every opportunity, I don't like that either. People don't need to know about my bedroom habits, if they do they can ask me or join Lush
Guest
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:27:46 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
dpw wrote:

I was with you all the way up to the last line.
John is not a bigot or a homophobe, that's not fair.
You are aware of what is around you and he may live in a tolerant area. Just because he doesn't seek out news of gay injustices in other areas it doesn't mean he's a bigot.
I also think he means coming out with a bang, announcing it to the world and to people that didn't care in the first place.
He also talks about gays that shove their homosexuality down your throat at every opportunity, I don't like that either. People don't need to know about my bedroom habits, if they do they can ask me or join Lush

Thank you. That is indeed what I was talking about.
dpw
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:33:47 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
JohnC wrote:

Thank you. That is indeed what I was talking about.

I didn't come out with a bang, I sneaked out when nobody was looking but still got caught.
Embarassed
Dani
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:39:34 AM

Rank: Big-Haired Bitch
Moderator

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 6,271
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
In answering the OP's actual question, my answer is 'sort of'. I'm bisexual. My family found out when someone asked me who I was dating at the time, and I said, "Her name is so and so. She's really nice, pretty, funny, etc." There was a pause. I was asked if I was a lesbian, and my response was, "Not really." I cried a little bit. Then we ordered Chinese and watched movies...and we kind of never talked about it. That was years ago.

To date, the girl I was dating at the time has been the only girl I've ever been with. And that relationship has since ended, but the friendship is still intact. And no, we aren't friends with benefits. We haven't even gone that route since the mutual breakup. But I digress.

I'm aware that not everyone's coming out story is as simplistic as mine. And I'm sure my parents just chalked that up to me being experimental. Who knows? Maybe it was. I still find women as attractive as I find men, though. And I'm not confused. I just like what I like and want what I want.


"Bitch, who asked you?" - A Bitch Who Didn't Ask You

Dirty_D
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:56:01 AM

Rank: Head Nurse
Moderator

Joined: 4/15/2011
Posts: 7,487
Location: Soaking up the sun, United States
naughtynurse wrote:

For you to belittle their efforts and say its "annoying" is very small minded and bigoted.


To John c and dpw, please go back and read that last sentence. Note I didn't call John himself bigoted. I said his statement was. Even openminded people make bigoted statements. There can be a difference between some statements and the person themself.
Guest
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:59:32 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,397
naughtynurse wrote:


To John c and dpw, please go back and read that last sentence. Note I didn't call John himself bigoted. I said his statement was. Even openminded people make bigoted statements. There can be a difference between some statements and the person themself.

dpw and others who have talked to me seemed to understand exactly what I meant. So again, if I have offended anyone, I apologize. It was never my intent.
dpw
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 9:35:28 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,457
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
naughtynurse wrote:


To John c and dpw, please go back and read that last sentence. Note I didn't call John himself bigoted. I said his statement was. Even openminded people make bigoted statements. There can be a difference between some statements and the person themself.

Well that's gracious of John, I'm afraid if it had been directed at me I would have answered quite differently.
There was nothing in any statement that he made that I found bigoted and I would be on the recieving end of the bigotry.
I understood exactly what he meant and if I'd responded earlier and cleared it up then all the unpleasantness would have been avoided. However, I do feel as though he was unfairly percieved. I felt like the cavalry had come to my rescue with all guns blazing when there was no enemy.
Katje
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 9:37:43 AM

Rank: Buxom Enigma
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2013
Posts: 2,037
Location: The center of my fantasyland, United States
*avoiding the landmine of discussion*

As far as the OP goes, I'm not one to broadcast my sexual habits to all and sundry. I'm not "honestly" bisexual, I can't see myself settling down into forever with another woman, but as far as possible playtime goes, I don't mind it.

If my parents even knew that I liked "playing with other girls", I'm pretty sure it'd be that final straw, you know? My brother is openly and obviously gay (He's not a gigantic, neon "flamer", but one can tell watching him that he's homosexual.) and I love him beyond measure. Our father took it the hardest when his only son came out of the closet.

And, in my opinion, one never knows truly how another's life is. Especially concerning sexual orientation. My best friend and I grew up from grade school together, and I'm totally fine when it comes to homosexuals, whereas Bek can't fathom same-sex relationships at all. It's not just regional, or an issue of publicity. It's individual. Am I saying prejudice can't be taught? No. But we all also reach a point in our lives where some lessons we've learned can be challenged, and we choose whether or not to believe the same way we always have, or change our way of thinking.

So to have a flame-war over something that will most likely always be an issue in some way or another ... Well, that's just silly.

Put on your grown-up panties already, and move on.

book


(Simply click on any of the images to view my stories!)
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.